Chapter 28: Nuclear Meltdown

Once and Always
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Yongsun was pacing back and forth in the spacious bedroom of the Moon Mansion, tapping her mobile against the palm of her hand. She was already dressed for dinner, wearing an exquisite black lace dress that clung to her every curve. The elegant dress was made of French laces and weaved with gold threads that married timeless fashion with luxury, appropriate for a member from the main family of the Moon clan.

Professional make-up artist had pronounced her perfect to meet her esteemed guests. The palette of make up helped to accentuate her expressive honeyed eyes and add an alluring enigmatic air. Her silky, long ash-brown hair fell around her face in large waves, adding her sophistication. It was in the very style that her alpha, Moon Byulyi loved. When she checked herself out in the mirror, she found a powerful, confident woman who was comfortable with her sensuality. Of course, she had never looked better; she had rigorously tortured her body, sculpturing her every muscle in eager preparation for her debut.

Yongsun could not ignore the unease that seemed to knot her stomach as she pace back and forth in the bedroom, tapping her mobile urgently against the palm of her hand. “It will be fine. She is just late. It will be fine. She is just late,” chanted the beautiful woman making a hole in the bedroom from her pacing.

If she had strained her ears, she could pick up the music struck up by a live string quarter in the garden. The dinner was already in full swing.

She stopped, pressing her hand to her forehead. “Where could she be?”

Suddenly, the door of the bedroom swung open, revealing a handsome silver-haired woman walking briskly into the room. The beautiful alpha was in the midst of discarding her bespoke, pinstripe jacket, making a beeline for the walk-in wardrobe.

“Moon Byulyi, why are you so late?” Yongsun demanded, intercepting the younger woman. She helped her out of her jacket and kissed her on the cheek. “You were supposed to be here half an hour ago.”

“I’m sorry,” exclaimed Byulyi, yanking the tie away from her neck and tossing it aside. “I was delayed at the Blue house.” She continued to make her way to the closet frantically.

“Never mind, continue walking. Your uniform is in the walk-in wardrobe,” stated Yongsun, taking charge of the situation. It was clear that the dinner was very important for Byulyi since she was flustered. “I’ll help you with your uniform.”

“Thanks, Unnie,” smiled Byulyi gratefully as they entered the closet together. She had never stopped undressing, leaving a trail of expensive clothes along the way. She did not care if the staff was going to complain about her abused clothes.

The formal uniform of the Moon clan might be very majestic and dashing but it required a long time to put on. It reflected the clan’s long, militant history, along with its promise to the Moon Goddess to be a protector to her children. It was the numerous accessories that adorned the uniform that made it very complex.

Yongsun made a beeline to the stack of velvet trays and carried them over to Byulyi. Her muscles strained at the weight of them, surprising the omega.

“They are really heavy,” commented the beautiful omega, dropping them on the closest surface to Byulyi.

Somehow, Byulyi had already stripped down to her white dress shirt and started to put on the dark trousers of the uniform. Yongsun closed the distance to run her hand through her shirt, straightening them. She backed off and allowed Byulyi to put on the black satin military frock with careless elegance. She was about to help her to secure her military frock when she realised a problem: there were no buttons.

She stared at the outfit, perplexed.

Byulyi smiled faintly, picking up the first velvet tray. It carried six, well-crafted platinum button that bore the emblem of the Moon clan. She took one of them and handed it to Yongsun. “It’s just like 19th century military frock.” She fastened one of them on the uniform swiftly, demonstrating how to use them.

“Seriously? The uniform could use some modernisation,” jibed Yongsun as she tried to pin the button on the frock and fastened it. Now that she was holding on of them in her hand, she had to admit that they were works of art.

When she had finally secured the button properly, Byulyi had already fastened five other buttons in a single column evenly, securing the frock. The younger woman needed to wait for her to complete before she could move to the next step of dressing.

“Unnie! Are you still here?” A familiar melodious voice echoed in the bedroom suddenly.

Byulyi breathed a sigh of relief. “We’re in the wardrobe!”

The calvary had arrived.

Soon, Moon Wheein glided into the walk-in wardrobe, looking gorgeous in a black lace dress, just like Yongsun’s. These dresses covered every inch of their skin but were so form-fitting that they were elegantly y. Instead of gold threads, Wheein’s dress was woven with silver threads to differentiate their status in the Moon clan. Yongsun was going to be the Mistress of the clan while Wheein was only a member of the main family.

“Unnie! Why are you not fully dressed?” Wheein complained as she froze at the entrance. “Aish, everyone is busy with the party to help you!” She braced herself to assist her older sister in dressing. “You need to hurry. Most of the guests have arrived.”

“Where is Pip anyway?” Byulyi asked finally. It was clear that Pip wasn’t with Wheein and Father.

“He is waiting in the bedroom,” replied Yongsun calmly. “He is looking through the brochures of the international schools while we get dressed.” It was just a diversion tactic to keep Doldol occupied and not be treated to a free show of his sire undressing.

Yongsun found herself pushed aside when Wheein took over the task swiftly, helping her to put the accessories on her elaborate military frock with well-practised hands. She was of no use to Byulyi since she had no idea what to do with these accessories on the tray. She picked up a beautiful platinum stash and stared at it uncomprehendingly. Her honeyed eyes widened when the platinum stash was taken by Wheein and attached to one of the ceremonial platinum epaulettes that the younger woman had just secured.

The fiery- haired woman demonstrated a familiarity with the complex outfit, knowing the steps to complete the outfit. The two Moon sisters had synchronised well, working together to help Byulyi put on the uniform.

“Unnie, secure the lower end of the sash with the belt,” commanded Wheein, wearing a tight expression, as she attached more platinum braids into the shoulder pads swiftly.

Yongsun followed her instructions and secured the platinum belt to Byulyi’s trimmed waist. Once again, she ran her hands through the satin fabric to straighten them as Wheein worked on her collar, her brows furrowed with concentration. She had fastened the silver embossed collar on the starched collar, bearing the symbol of the silver wolf in an intricate work of embroidery. A silver ribbon with six green lines were attached to the other side.

Yongsun refused to allow herself to be consumed by the dark thoughts that whispered about her incompetence as Byulyi’s mate. To shake herself off those thoughts, she took up the role of picking up the accessories from the tray and handing them to the Moon sisters. Her lack of knowledge slowed down the process of getting Byulyi ready since she wasn’t familiar with the names of the accessories. The two Moon sisters had to point them out to her. Yongsun handed an aiguillette, decorated with diamonds, and Wheein slipped it under Byulyi’s left ceremonial epaulette, looped it under her left arm over the left side of her chest to the top button.

Wheein pursed her lips and backed away to take a good look of the heir. “Wait. Where are your medals, Unnie?” There was some heat in her tone.

“I don’t need to wear them for tonight—”

“—No, you have to. There are very important people attending this dinner, Unnie,” snapped the fiery-haired woman, getting upset. “You need all your medals.” She turned to Yongsun. “Unnie, will you be a dear and get her medals from the locked display? The password is your birthday.”

“Wheepup, seriously!” Byulyi protested, ready to exit the closet. “We are already late for the dinner.

“It wouldn’t make a difference! Unnie, you should embrace every position that you have!”

“It’s Pip’s big day, not mine.”

Yongsun ignored the bickering sisters and fetched the awards that were kept in the display. She realised that the priceless accessories were also stored here. There was a ceremonial sword too. She took the tray of medals and handed it to Wheein swiftly.

“Not you too,” whined Byulyi and she huffed.

“I’m proud of Colonel Moonbyul,” justified Yongsun, taking a medal to pin on Byulyi’s chest. Since her omega had spoken, Byulyi could only resign to her fate and allowed the two omegas to pin all her medals.

Wheein winked at the older woman, delighted that the older woman had sided with her.

Finally, Yongsun and Wheein took a step back and admired their work together: Byulyi’s satin black military uniform was immaculate. The powerful woman appeared to be more formidable. Byulyi’s petite nature meant that she looked absolutely mesmerising.

Yongsun found herself hypnotised by this handsome Byulyi and she could not decide if she looked better in this outfit or her formal officer military frock. She fanned herself with a hand, burning this gorgeous image of her mate into her heart.

Wheein nodded, satisfied. “Unnie, you look very handsome.” She cooed, patting Byulyi’s chest absently. Byulyi narrowed her eyes, knowing that Wheein was trying to get a rise from the anxious Yongsun. “Put on your boots, y. I’ll fetch Pip now.”

“Aiggo! Wheepup!” Yongsun whined when the younger woman flirted with her alpha. “Will you just stop that?”

Wheein laughed, her single dimple deepening. “Robot Unnie, it’s just so fun to tease you. Anyway, keep your hands to yourself. We don’t have time for any dalliance.” She warned.

“AISH!” Yongsun growled, her eyes widening. A heat crept up her neck to colour her plump cheeks pink. “I have self- control!”

Wheein chuckled, patting her on her shoulder. “Oh. I believe you, Unnie.” She picked up her train and ran for her life when Yongsun’s expression darkened.

“Oh! That nerve of Wheepup. I’m gonna tell Jinie later,” snarled Yongsun. “I’m not that horrid.”

Byulyi wisely held her silence and sat down on the ottoman. She noticed that Wheein’s teasing had achieved its objective of chasing away her blues. It was a tried and proven method that never failed to rile the older woman up. She pulled the knee-length boots towards her and began to put them on.

Suddenly, a sharp pain pierced her chest and she clutched it, frowning. The dull ache in her chest since morning seemed to worsen.

“Byul, are you OK?” Yongsun asked, worried. She studied her alpha closely and noticed that she was slightly pale.

“Just need a moment,” muttered Byulyi, grimacing. “I’ve been feeling this dull ache since morning.”

Yongsun took her hand and released more calming pheromones, hoping that it would help ease her discomfort. With Byulyi’s explanation, she realised that this foreboding discomfort that she had been feeling all day originated from her mate. “It is only a dinner to celebrate our pup and introduce him to the allies of the Moon clan.” She comforted as she nuzzled against her cheek affectionately.

The younger woman tugged the older woman into her arms and held her close. The tangible warmth of her skin calmed her down. When Yongsun tried to get out of her arms, Byulyi halted her. “Just a moment.” She buried her face into her scent gland and breathed that irresistible scent of sunshine in.

Yongsun sighed and patted the back of her mate gently. She might not know how to help dress Byulyi in her Moon uniform but she knew how to comfort her mate. The silver-haired woman would only show her proverbial belly to her. It was more than enough for her.

As promised, Byulyi released her and helped her to the feet. She averted her gaze, scrubbing her face. “Thanks, Unnie,” offered the silver-haired woman, standing up too. “I needed that.”

Yongsun squeezed her hand reassuringly.

“We should go,” stated Byulyi, picking up her hand to brush her lips across Yongsun’s knuckles. They held hands and made their way out of the bedroom. Outside the Heir’s wing, they met up with Wheein and Dopul. The handsome ten-year-old boy was also dressed in the formal uniform of the Moon clan, looking very suave. He rolled his shoulders several times, unused to the weight of the epaulettes that decorated his shoulders.

“Mummy, you look gorgeous!” The precocious pup exclaimed as he ran to hug his beautiful mother.

Yongsun bent down and nuzzled against his cheek, cooing sweetly. “And you look like a dashing knight, Doldol.”

The handsome pup trilled, his heart filled with sunshine.

Wheein smiled at the adorable interaction between mother and pup, resting against Byulyi who was watching them proudly. It was heartening that Doldol had such wonderful relationship with Yongsun, a rarity in their social circle. Byulyi could not say that she was very close to Mother and Wheein was definitely not close to her biological mother.

The red-haired woman had a haunted look when she remembered her estranged relationship with Mother, Lady Moon. Mother loved her like a daughter but their differing opinions about Yongsun had created a chasm between them, a rift that she had no idea how to repair.

Byulyi wrapped her arms around Wheein in a loose embrace. “Mother will come around eventually. You’re her Wheepup, after all.”

Wheein sighed and nodded.  All she needed was to give Mother more time to realise that Yongsun wasn’t the devil she had imagined her to be.

Byulyi released her younger sister and rested a hand on Pip’s shoulder paternally. “We should go before Father sends the brigade after us.”

“I’m the brigade,” quipped Wheein, crossing her arms. “Someone chose to be late to her pup’s celebration.”

Dopul took the hands of his parents as they fell in step together.

“The President kept me!”

“You should have flipped him or invited him to the celebration,” countered Wheein with some heat.

Byulyi rolled her eyes. “I’m not going to fall for his schemes. It is obvious that he wanted to be invited to this dinner.”

Yongsun realised that this was her life now. The head of state would plot to be one of the guests of a party that celebrated her pup, Dopul. It was surreal but something that she had to accept.

Wheein parted when they headed downstairs, wishing to wait for her girlfriend and her parents. The family of three followed the faint music to the garden where the party was held.

Butler Moon magically appeared, looking very solemn. “Master, Young Madam and Young Master, you’re here. Shall I announce your arrival?” He smiled at the beautiful sight of the family, the future of the clan.

Despite the calming presence of his sire, Dopul quivered visibly, his palms becoming sweaty. The smell of his distress had his parents leading him away to a dark corner as Byulyi silently communicated to the butler that they needed more time.

He gripped the hands of his parents. No matter how brave he was, he was still a ten-year-old boy. The very sight of a party full of important individuals excited to meet him was too much for him.

Yongsun embraced her son tenderly, cooing sweet nothings. Her calming sunshine scent help to sooth the nervous pup. Byulyi kneeled before her son and guided him in regulating his breathing.

“I’ll be by your side,” promised Byulyi solemnly, resting her hands on his small shoulders. She smiled encouragingly. “If you don’t feel up to it, we could choose not to attend—”

“—No,” blurted Dopul at once. “No, I cannot do that. I’m the heir-apparent of the Moon clan.”

Byuly swelled with pride at her son’s dedication to his duty. “Pip, I’m proud of you.” She smiled, squeezing his shoulders gently. “There heir-apparent of the Moon clan can do anything he wants. If he doesn’t want to appear at his party, that is also fine. We all know this is a party to flaunt you.”

Dopul sighed openly. “I talked Pop Pop out of a ten-day celebration. I should appear at this dinner.”

“Pip, I don’t have any memories of my celebration,” rationalised Byulyi. “Doesn’t that show that there is really no need for your participation? What can an infant do but wail?”

Dopul chuckled. “I heard from Pop Pop about your celebration. You were a grumpy infant who hated noise, people and fawning. You cried all the time.”

Byulyi threw her head backwards and chuckled. “I did.”

It seemed like recalling about Byulyi’s celebration had calmed the pup down.

“Doldol, I’m with Byul on this. If you don’t wish to participate in this party, it’s fine. We will just attend on your behalf.”

The precocious pup smiled warmly at his parents, little indents appearing under his lips. He embraced his parents tightly. “Thank you, Byul and Mummy.” He released them, his sapphire eyes gleaming with determination. “I want to attend this party.”

Yongsun and Byul shared a proud smile, nodding at him. They were also amazed at how fast their pup was growing. The small family checked their appearance for the last time, ready to meet the guests.

All of a sudden, a sharp pain stabbed through Byulyi’s chest and she gasped, clutching her chest. She staggered slightly and Yongsun caught her.

“Leader Moon! Leader Moon! Are you OK?”

Yells of concern cut through the light-hearted music.

Everything clicked in her mind.

The strange foreboding feeling that something was going to happen.

The pain in her chest.

Her blood became cold.

Byulyi’s gaze shot to the second storey of the mansion, her heart pounding. Her eyes were attracted to the room that overlooked the garden. She righted herself at once. “Wait here.” She ordered them and broke into full sprint, returning

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter