Chapter 4: The universe only falls in place

Once and Always
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The door creaked open and a silver of light seeped in. “Yongsun, are you OK?” A gorgeous silver-haired woman dressed in a black T-shirt and a pair of black dress trousers, entered the bedroom quietly. She closed the door after her. Her startling sapphire eyes glowed with worry. She was very handsome, eluding charms that sent unguarded hearts fluttering.

Kim Yongsun wiped the tears away from her eyes quickly, not wishing for the other woman to see. She spun to look at Moon Byulyi and forced a smile. “It ought to be Unnie for you,” chided the manager, pretending to be offended. “I just realised that you’re born more than a year after me.” She met her gaze coolly, unimpressed. “You shouldn’t be in my bedroom when you have a fiancée.”

The worry in her remarkable sapphire eyes did not fade as the attractive CEO studied her face deliberately, not missing any changes in her micro-expression.  It was so unlike the gazes she normally received, grotesque gazes that preyed on her beauty, rather than viewing her as a person. Byulyi’s gaze penetrated her soul and found her perfect. Coupled with the concern in those startling blue eyes, the blonde felt distinctively uncomfortable. Yongsun evaded her gaze and broke their eye contact. She shifted her weight between the balls of her feet, flipping her hair over her shoulder.

Nothing ever made sense when it came to Moon Byulyi.

This was only their second meeting yet they acted like long-time friends that had just reunited. Yongsun’s entire being quaked at just how easy for them to be with each other as if they made complete sense. The flawless way she assisted to prepare dinner in a confined space displayed their remarkable connection. Of course, watching Byulyi be a good sire to Dopul filled her heart with warmth. Her heart throbbed at the loss of years of the Sire and pup.

This was only their second meeting. The depth of emotions that the silver-haired alpha felt for her did not make any sense.

The inanity was a lightning that struck her soul, how mindlessly synchronised they were. Only the omega wolf within her was overjoyed to be reunited with the gentle and protective younger woman. Her heart was gripped by fear when she could not explain this unexpected correctness.

Yongsun cleared her voice, schooling her face into a neutral expression. “Byulyi-ssi, you should go now. I need to be at work soon.”

The younger woman moved into her path, blocking her. Her jaw clenched and unclenched. “Yongsun, were you crying just now?” Despite their short association, she disliked seeing the older woman in tears.

The manager swiped her cheeks absently but did not find any moisture. She stared into her solemn eyes, baffled. She sighed inwardly at Byulyi’s achingly gentle tone and found herself relenting completely.

Byulyi inhaled sharply and took a step closer to her, giving Yongsun a choice to reject her. She took Yongsun’s hands gently, her gaze falling on their joined hands. “I shouldn’t be so forward,” decided the silver-haired alpha. “Anyway, thank you for giving me a chance to spend more time with Pip tonight. I truly appreciate it.” Her voice was thick with emotions.

A lump formed in Yongsun’s throat. She shook her head lightly. “You should not thank me.” She smiled wryly. “Doldol did not want you to go.” She sighed. “I’ve never seen him so attached to another individual.”

“Let me guess, Yongsun,” smiled Byulyi impishly, meeting her gaze. She released the hands of the older woman and missed that contact immediately. “Pip doesn’t mix well with his peers and prefers to hang out with adults. He is probably more disposed to be wary of others and takes a long time to let someone into his heart. However, he is too capable in socialising so he is able to hide his aloofness.”

Yongsun’s eyes widened. “Are you sure that you’ve only met Doldol today?”

The CEO nodded. “Has Pip spoken to you about his struggles to avoid playground fights at school? He’s a natural leader, other alpha pups will desire to challenge him.”

The manager shook her head at once, worried. “I think I will check with the school tomorrow.”

Byulyi chuckled gently, taking her hands again. “There isn’t a need to worry. It is perfectly normal for a precocious Moon alpha pup.” She squeezed her hands gently. She may not know much about pups in general but she had some idea about Moon alphas from the main family. She had a natural dislike for the other alpha pups when she was young. They would often challenge her but she did not see any point in these fights. “Uh…Pip has inherited the disposition of Moon alphas from the main family.” She looked at her sympathetically. “He must be a handful.” She released Yongsun’s hands and caressed the plump cheek of Yongsun with the back of her hand. “Yongsun, you’re a wonderful mum to our son.” There was only awe in her voice. She had no idea how the manager had raised their son to be so compassionate and kind when it was against his very nature.

Yongsun’s heart thumped so loudly that she was certain that Byulyi could hear her. She could never deny that gravitation pull to her, a natural law of the world. She cleared , averting her gaze. “We used to live with Hyejinie so that helped a lot.”

Byulyi hummed a sound of acknowledgement, even though her alpha wolf wasn’t too pleased—her pup and the mother of her pup ought to be protected by her. It explained their comfort with the scent of Hyejin. She blushed. How could she challenge Hyejin to an alpha bout?

The manager gave her a knowing look, mirth dancing in her eyes. “You actually challenged Hyejin to an alpha bout at the first meeting.” Her eyes curved into twinkling crescents when she noticed Byulyi’s mortification.

The CEO cleared her voice, hiding her embarrassment. “Why did you move out?”

“Company’s orders,” sighed Yongsun tiredly, her amusement at teasing Byulyi fading. It was a huge change for the mother and pup since they had been roommates since they were trainees. The sweet and younger alpha was with her from the start when she was thrown out of her family home.

Byulyi understood at once. “How little time did the company gave you to move out that you chose this apartment? Surely, there were better options?” She kept her tone light-hearted as she reached out to brush her blond errant hair away gently.

Yongsun’s heart fluttered at the casual attention. Gods, Byulyi was so charming and sweet. She caught herself admiring the younger woman and stepped away from her, maintaining a respectable distance. She cleared her voice, lowering her hand. “It’s a long story and I need to leave now—"

“—Let me give you a lift,” offered Byulyi gallantly. “It’s my fault that you’re delayed.”

Yongsun shook her head, her brows pinched. “No, it’s improper. You have a fiancée, Byulyi-ssi.”

“A fiancée that stole your charge away for a nice dinner,” laughed Byulyi, stowing her hands into her pockets. She was amused by Yongsun’s fixation of her status. It had only been a few days since she returned to a civilian life. Had she not explained that this engagement was one of convenience? “And if things go well, I will not have a fiancée soon.”

Yongsun’s heart stopped, lifting her head to stare into Byulyi’s eyes. “Are…Are you getting married?”

The nostrils of Byulyi flared at the sharp scent of distress from the blond omega and she became wide-eyed. Her mind backpedalled hastily. “Married? No, no, no, that’s not what I mean,” gushed Byulyi hurriedly, waving her hands animated, anxious to calm the older woman down.

The panic of the usually composed Byulyi was comical and strangely adorable, filling Yongsun’s heart with warmth.

The CEO beathed a sigh of relief when she sensed that Yongsun was not upset. “What I meant is if things go well, Wheepup and I will break the engagement,” amended the CEO, grinning from ear to ear. Her nose scrunched adorably and the Indian dimples deepened. “Wheepup deserves to be with the one she loves and be happy.” A decade later, neither clan could truly threaten them if the engaged couple chose to go on their separate ways. “Don’t worry too much about my offer and let me send you to work.”

The manager only saw sincerity in her blue eyes. “Byulyi-ssi, I can find my own transport to work,” insisted Yongsun stubbornly, hating to feel like she was taking advantage of Byulyi’s kindness.

Byulyi did not seem like she was going to back down and they were in an impasse. Yongsun’s heart melted at the CEO’s honesty and she finally relented. “I’ll feel like I’m taking advantage of you if you send me to work,” confessed Yongsun. Before Byulyi could argue with her, she continued. “I don’t mind if you stay here until I return. Doldol doesn’t have the habit of waking up in the middle of the night but it would put me to ease.”

She had only started this part-time job two weeks ago, leaving Dopul after his bedtime for several hours once a week. It was the best arrangement she could make despite her worries for her son.

The idea of spending more time with Pip cheered her considerably. “OK. Considered it done.” The silver-haired alpha evaded her gaze coyly. “I could do that on the nights you need to work, you know.” She coughed into her hand, hiding her blushing.

“You could huh,” answered Yongsun coquettishly, staring deeply into her remarkably blue eyes, the same blue eyes of her son. A gentle storm brewing within, stirring her emotions.

It felt like the radiance of the sun casting golden hues of joy and hope upon the artic and barren landscape of Byulyi’s heart, thawing it bit by bit. The silver-haired alpha hide her face with her hands, embarrassed by the sheer affection in her soft, mocha eyes. “Please don’t look at me that way—”

“—What way?” Yongsun teased impishly, grabbing Byulyi’s hands to reveal her exquisite face and pink cheeks. “Aigoo, someone can feel embarrassed huh?” Her voice was woven with fond affections.

“I… You…” Byulyi was finally at a loss for works, realising that the older woman was teasing her. She harrumphed, narrowing her eyes at her. “Get changed for work. I’ll call a car for you.” She spun around, trying to leave Yongsun’s room quickly.

Yongsun grabbed her hand, stopping the younger woman. “Byul-ah, you’re so adorable.” Her praise was uttered in a soft coo.

The eyes of Byulyi widened. She practically flew out of the door, closing after her at once. Her heart was still pounding loudly. Her face burnt from the captivated gaze of Yongsun. The praise was the cherry on the cake, her blush rising to colour the tips of her ears. She pressed her hands on her chest, still on a giddy high. She shook her head, tossing herself on the couch, trying to compose herself. She called a car for her before she kept her mind busy by fiddling with the mobile.

Soon, Yongsun rushed out from her bedroom carrying a big bag. She wore exquisite make-up that was too elaborate for her casual dressing. The seated Byulyi glanced at her for several moments. “Uh…Add me on your mobile on your way to work. This is the car license number.” She pressed a slip of paper into her hand.

The manager stared at the slip of paper on her palm and chuckled heartily, the adorable little indents under her generous lips deepened. “I haven’t received a phone number on a paper for a while.” She winked at the younger woman playfully. “Byul-ah, people will normally hand their mobile over now.”

“I guess I’m a little old fashion,” smiled Byulyi, giving an absent shrug. “Just like a certain someone. Anyway, your ride is waiting for you.”

Yongsun panicked for a moment before she ran out of the apartment like a hurricane. The CEO was impressed.  Where did that woman get all her energy? She rose to her feet and brushed herself absently. She padded to the kitchen sink and noticed that they were still filled with dishes. She got down to work, absorbed in the routine of soaping the dishes and the pan, surprised that she still remembered how to clean them. She rinsed the dishes soon after and placed them on the drying rack next to the sink to dry.

The neighbourhood did not seem to sleep, there were people walking on the dimly lighted streets. The apartments were so close that she could hear the news broadcasted from a television in another household. It was so unlike the front line or her home.

A beep of her mobile phone indicated that someone had messaged her. Byulyi withdrew it from her pocket eagerly, smiling when it was an unknown number.

“Byulie, thank you for calling a ride for me.”

Her smile widened at that affectionate nickname.

She swiped her fingers across the screen swiftly. “Sure, Yongsun.”

Yongsun’s reply took a while. “That’s Unnie for you. I’m still older.”

The silver-haired alpha sniggered fondly, her nose scrunching adorably. Of course, the youthful manager would insist on the appropriate honorifics.

“Yongsun, I have never addressed anyone as Unnie,” protested Byulyi at once. Her high social status and remarkable achievements made her an outlier when it came to the hierarchical society, no matter the age of the individual, everyone addressed her respectfully as ‘CEO Moonbyul’.

“It’s better to be late than never.”

Byulyi snorted at the cheeky reply and shook her head lightly. “I guess I could since you raised our Dopul so well, Unnie.” She stowed her mobile into her pocket and studied the small kitchen openly, wondering what else she could do to pass time.

She wiped the dining table before working on the kitchen counters, the stove and finally the sink. Sweat beaded on her brow at the menial labour as she put elbow grease to clean the kitchen. She was only satisfied when the surfaces gleamed from her scrubbing. Perfect, she had not lost it. At the start of her military service, she had to perform these menial tasks as a grunt, washing the living quarters with a simple brush.

She wandered aimlessly around the apartment, searching for another task to complete. The CEO collected all the dirty clothes from the hampers in both bedrooms, sorting them into the coloured and white piles. She emptied the coloured clothes hamper into the washing machine and input the correct settings.

The CEO sat at the dining table, drumming her fingers on the table as the noise of the washing machine filled the background. The reality that she shared a nine-year-old pup with Yongsun ultimately sank deeply into her.

She ran her hand through her silver hair distractedly.

Wow.

A vibrant and swirling kaleidoscope of emotions dyed her heart at the memory of that one precious night. God, she had never forgotten that night, but it was made even more perfect with a pup. She ignored her alpha wolf who was preening at its prowess of staking its claim on a strong and beautiful omega by breeding her in just a night.

A blush rose from her chest to colour her cheeks. She finally had a face and name to that lovely and sweet lover. She propped her face with a hand and allowed her mind to linger on that fascinating, beautiful and wonderful older woman who had single-handedly raised their pup so well.

Her keen hearing alerted her of the unwanted guest and her body became taut. The footsteps were heavy and uneven. Her silver brows pinched. Their flashy arrival in a limousine and the undisguised alpha bout out in the terrace were sufficient to garner the interest of unscrupulous neighbours. This unwanted guest could only have untoward intention towards Yongsun and Dopul.

“What the is this?” A hoarse masculine voice thundered as he fell on the ground unceremoniously. “! This is blood.” Several moments later, there was a loud and incessant banging of the main door. “You come out now, Solar Kim!” He continued to bang on the door.

The sapphire eyes of Byulyi darkened and she answered the door. This idiot was going to wake Dopul up. Her harsh and wintry gaze fell on the upset, oversized, walrus who smelled of booze. He was obviously an individual that gorged freely to excess. She turned around to close the door behind her, not wishing for this confrontation to wake her pup up.

The half-drunk stared at her brazenly, raking his licentious eyes up and down her lithe figure while his lips.

Byulyi was unimpressed, releasing the aura that she had suppressed. The oppressive and invisible pressure had the lustful drunk reeling in fear instinctively, staggering backwards. He tripped over air, falling on his bottom, horror in his eyes. “Who…Who the are you?” He forced those words out of his mouth, trying to recover his dignity.

The dangerous and silent silver-haired alpha squatted slowly so that she was at his eye-level, her face strangely expressionless.

The obese drunk spotted the dressing on Byulyi’s cheek, and his eyes glinted. “Ah, you’re that loser who fought for a ing skunk and lost.” He threw his head backwards and laughed heartily.

The invisible pressure skyrocketed, suffocating the sniggering drunk. Colour drained from his face as he stared at the intimidating woman, wide-eyed. “W-w-where is Solar? I-I-I want to speak to her now,” insisted the older man curtly, backing up even further, increasing the distance between them.

Byulyi’s eyes gleamed dangerously at the intimate address and the drunk swallowed visibly, trying to maintain his bravado. Suddenly, the drunk recalled an important fact. “This is my property so you can’t stop me from entering the apartment.” He smirked and took out another key from his pocket and got on his feet slowly.

The alpha wolf within Byulyi snarled, heckles raised. Byulyi closed her eyes briefly to supress the urge of killing this trash who believed he had the right to enter the home of a single omega and her son.

Blood pounded in Byulyi’s ear loudly and all the CEO craved was the blood of this exploitative scrum who preyed on her people. She grabbed him by the collar as she rose to her feet, raising him to the maximum height as the drunk kicked helplessly in the air, choked by the collar of his T-shirt.

The drunk proprietor flailed his arms wildly, gasping for air. His face was turning red as he struggled to breathe. He dropped the spare key finally, trying to pry her hand away from his shirt desperately. He was never more alarmed than this very moment, staring into the unnaturally calm, icy blue eyes of this beautiful and slender woman with flowing silver hair. Shivers ran down his spine when he realised that he was simply a speck of dust, too insignificant for his grim reaper to react while killing him.

The familiar sunshine scent contaminated by distress filled the air and Byulyi blinked, her brows pinched.

“Byul, drop him now!” Yongsun shrieked, her eyes wide with shock and terror.

The silver-haired alpha obeyed at once, releasing him at once. The drunk proprietor fell on the ground unceremoniously, coughing as he tried to fill his lungs with air.

Yongsun approached her landlord, trying to help him when Byulyi growled, her dark blue eyes glinting dangerously. She frowned at the CEO, giving the landlord the opportunity to flee.

“You’re going to pay for this, Solar Kim!”

The eyes of Byulyi narrowed at the threat and she made a move to pursue after him when Yongsun stopped the younger woman. She grabbed her hand and yanked her roughly into the apartment, closing the door.

The silver-haired woman paced back and forth in the apartment, behaving like a caged, wild-eyed animal. Her irresistible and alluring scent of lemon and bergamot was corrupted by rage.

Yongsun had finally calm down from watching Byulyi nearly choking the landlord to death on the terrace. She spun to glare at the younger woman, upset.

“How long has this been going on?” Byulyi snarled, glowering at the omega.

The domineering tone of Byulyi struck Yongsun all wrong but her question confused her. “What the hell are you talking about?”

“This ual harassment,” forced Byulyi out from gritted teeth, her hands balled into fists. “He had a key to this apartment.”

Shivers went down the spine of Yongsun at her elaboration. She had only communicated with the wife and not her drunk husband.

“Did that also happen with that man?” Her eyes turned obsidian black.

Yongsun scowled. “What the hell are you on now?”

The CEO looked like she was going to explode into violent rage. She clenched and unclenched her jaws, her body taut with tension. She inhaled sharply, forcing herself to calm down. “The creep whom you need to pay—”

“—It’s not your problem,” snapped Yongsun at once, growling at her. How audacious of this alpha to attempt to take control of her life. She straightened herself to her full height. “I can take care of the issue by myself.”

Byulyi hissed, unsatisfied with her response.

Yongsun reduced the distance with another step, her nose nearly brushing against her lips. “Dopul might be your son,” spoke the manager harshly in a whisper, her mocha eyes flashing with defiance. “But I don’t need your assistance.” She wasn’t a damsel in distress that needed a strong alpha to rescue her. She had never needed the help of anybody since she kept her pregnancy, not in the past and definitely not in the present.

The fury in Byulyi’s bright blue eyes dissolved like snow. She took stock of the older woman and truly looked at her, b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter