Chapter 8: The Truth always hurts

Once and Always
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Leader Moon, Heir Moonbyul is here to see you,” announced a well-built man with salt and pepper hair, slicked backwards, reminiscent of American mafia of the eighties. His whitetail was immaculate as always and he carried himself with so much dignity and elegance that it was difficult to tell that Butler Moon came from humble beginnings and used to serve with Leader Moon in the army. He had retired from the army to assist his superior in managing the household staff.

“Thank you,” smiled Moon Byulyi, straightening her dark-blue jacket by running her hands down it for the final time. Her long, silver hair cascaded down her face, softening her sharp and angular jaw. She strode into the luxurious and spacious office with a panther-like grace and felt the scrutiny of the esteemed leader sitting behind the mahogany desk.

Leader Moon or Moon Soojung was a well-built, large and intimidating man that no one in their right mind would pick a fight. He was the very epitome of the leader of a pack: carrying himself with a captivating air of self-assurance. His facial features are chiselled, with a strong, slightly angular jawline, piercing sapphire eyes that reflect determination, and a captivating, faint smile. Those bright blue eyes were framed by faint laugh lines, adding a masculine sensuality to the stoic leader. He might have retired from the army for a couple of decades but he still wore his hair very short cropped at the sides and it complemented his no-nonsense hauteur.

“Thank you, Jihoon,” spoke Leader Moon, his voice deep and commanding, perfect for a man in command. It was the cue for the butler to leave immediately, leaving the father and daughter alone in the luxurious and majestic office that served to emphasis the wealth and influence of the Moon clan, while tailoring to their formidable and large physique.

Byulyi knew that this was not a friendly conversation among family, rather, a conversation between the leader of the clan and its heir. She ed her bespoke jacket with carless elegance and sat down. “Leader Moon,” greeted Moobyul formally. She had read the room correctly since Leader Moon nodded sharply.

“Heir Moonbyul, I have requested your presence on a pressing matter.” Leader Moon started promptly, his expression neutral. He took out an envelope and slid it across the large table towards her.

Byulyi picked up the envelope without hesitation and broke the seal. Her hands trembled just for a moment as she was taken back to the painful surprise that altered her life for good. Her brows furrowed when she noticed that the envelope also contained photographs. She took a deep breath to calm herself down as she withdrew just a picture to look. It depicted her carrying Yongsun out of the exclusive pub more than a week ago, the identity of the manager concealed. Relief loosened the grip on her heart when she realised that Yongsun’s identity was undisclosed.

Byulyi checked the other photographs swiftly and found them to be of similar theme, taken in other angles and at different times. She touched her pointed chin, her brows pinched as she analysed the series of photographs, deducing them to be taken by the same individual. Her lips thinned. A guest must have discreetly taken all these photographs.

“Leader Moon, did you just receive these photographs?” The handsome CEO asked, meeting the nonchalant gaze of the leader of the clan. “May I assume that these were from the Jung clan?” She crossed her legs, looking unimpressed.

The retired general stared at his only progeny, an heir that he had always been very proud of until the slip. He comprehended that Krystal Jung was truly her only weakness. “Heir Moonbyul, the source of the photographs is not the point of the meeting,” answered Leader Moon tersely. “These photographs were delivered by the office of Leader Jung. They demand for an account for the embarrassment your actions had brought to the Jung clan.”

Byulyi snorted, straightening her bespoke jacket with careless elegance. “Like father, like daughter,” remarked the handsome silver-haired woman, running her hand through her long hair.

Leader Moon stared penetratingly at her, ignoring her snide comment. “Leader Jung was rightfully concerned about your conduct,” clarified the retired general, his thick brows furrowed. “This happened on the very night when you called off the engagement to Ms Wheein of the Jung clan.” His jaws clenched and unclenched, disapproval gleaming in his blue eyes. “I’d thought that you admired Wheepup,” accused the Leader, frowning. “Your former fiancée had been flawless in the execution of your duties in your absence and only strived to improve your standings. She deserves every bit of your respect.” There was some heat in his voice.

Moonbyul rested her hands on her thighs idly, studying her father. Gold danced in her blue eyes. “My leader, is it your intended purpose of this meeting to chide me for disrespecting Wheepup?”

Leader Moon nodded at once. “Of course. It’s a waste that Wheein doesn’t want to be your fiancée. She would make a wonderful member of the clan.” He sighed.

Byulyi nodded at once. “Indeed, but I have made use of her generosity for far too long.” Her gaze was distant. She could not imagine how she could maintain the running of Moon Corps if it wasn’t for the red-haired omega. “Father, Wheepup deserves to be truly happy and not to be strapped down in a loveless marriage with me.”

He sighed, running his hands through his short hair. “I would love to call Wheein my daughter-in-law.” There was regret in his voice.

Byulyi smiled, impressed that Wheein had actually won the complete support of the Leader of the Moon clan. With the relentless support and loyalty of three Moon alphas of the main family—Father, Pip and her—Wheein would never need to worry for herself. “Father, have you made a decision regarding the official adoption of Wheepup?”

Leader Moon’s face became neutral, studying the countenance of his only pup with open scrutiny. “I’ve considered your proposal.”

Byulyi maintained her confident veneer under the close examination of her leader. Several heartbeats later, Leader Moon finally spoke. “I have considered your proposal, Heir Moonbyul and promoted the proposal to the council. Your proposal has gained the full support of the council and me.”

The younger alpha resisted the urge to pump her fist into the air. She recalled the lunar cycle and realised that full moon would take place the next day. “Are we carrying out the formal adoption ritual tomorrow?”

Leader Moon’s silver brows furrowed, and he nodded stiffly. The leader would prefer to have the ritual the following month but with the rumours spreading around their social circle, ruining Wheein’s reputation, he had to nip the issue by the bud. “I will not tolerate others from disparaging Wheein, not even the Jung clan.”

The smile of Byulyi became feral. “Leader Moon, what is our clan’s approach to the Jung clan?”

Leader Moon became sombre, holding her gaze. “Excellent question. We used to be supportive of a strong and formal alliance with the Jung clan mostly because you wanted to marry the youngest daughter of Leader Jung. The goals of whitewashing our fearsome reputation and expanding beyond the arms industry were complementary goals to convince the elders. Now, the elders are annoyed with the Jungs since they have been proven to be an unreliable ally and the clain is on decline.” He balled his hands into fists and slammed the desk. “Leader Jung is nothing but a pathetic worm that constantly drags your reputation through the mud to satisfy their pride and gain more boons for the clan.”

Byulyi gave an absent shrug. “It sounds like a splendid reason to conclude our cooperation. We’re giving them a hand to become more pitiful victims.” Her cherry-shaped lips curled into a feral smile. “Association to such a weak-willed clan will simply weaken our mighty clan.”

Leader Moon concurred, nodding his head distractedly.

Moonbyul rose to her feet impatiently. “If this is the end of discussion, I will take my leave—”

“—No, we need to talk about this latest and unfortunate dalliance.” Leader Moon made a face, spitting out the word as if it offended him. Disapproval gleamed in his eyes as he narrowed his eyes. “Heir Moonbyul, your reputation has already taken a hit since your hiccup a decade ago. The clan and our allies will not tolerate a public liaison with a woman you picked up from a club.”

Leader Moon felt his heart sank to the pit of the stomach when anger flared in the bright blue eyes of Byulyi. The younger alpha had stiffened visibly, clenching and unclenching her angular jaws. His disappointment amplified when the younger woman tried to intimidate him with her commanding, powerful and threatening pressure.

Wow, he did not expect for his pup to develop such a commanding and powerful presence. He was proud that she had refined herself through the blaze of war. However, his sorrow was more profound. His carefully-raised heir had once again not raise above the temptation of lust, losing control of herself over another woman. He hid his regret that his pup had not learnt the lesson to remain in control well.

The retired general shook his head, looking unusually old. “Byul, I sent you to the frontline so that you could reflect on your mistake of overindulging in lust. Heir Moonbyul, I taught you that romantic relationships should never rob you of your control and be a blight on your reputation. The members of the clan look up to you, the honoured successor of the Moon clan.”

The consuming rage in Byulyi’s eyes faded as she looked at her father, her stomach knotted. She had remembered his parting words before she was exiled to the frontlines: never to let lust affect her reputation again.

“Ten years might have passed but you have learnt nothing!” He rose to his feet and paced back and forth in the spacious office. He stopped suddenly, staring at Byulyi. “You might have returned home with numerous accolades and become the youngest colonel but I’m ashamed of you, Heir Moonbyul.”

Byulyi’s stomach clenched painfully at his cruel verdict but maintained her neutral façade.

“Dismiss,” concluded Leader Moon, turning his back on her. He walked to the ceiling-to-floor window behind his desk and looked out of the window. He stowed his hands into the pockets of his trousers, an obvious sign of dismissal.

Even if Byulyi desired to account for her actions and be fairly judged, she was aware that Leader Moon was uninterested. All that mattered was that his heir submitted to the verdict that he had decided on.

Byulyi gritted her teeth and inclined her head curtly. With her head held high, Moonbyul forced herself to remain composed as she walked out of the office. Every moment felt like a torment, pushing her self-control to the limit as she remained on the verge of exploding from her barely concealed fury.

The silver-haired alpha could barely breathe from the sheer surge of raw and powerful feelings that threatened to erode her very reason. She turned around and closed the double doors of the office, the very sight of Leader Moon’s broad and muscular back facing her etched deeply in her mind’s eye. When the door finally shut with a muted ‘click’, her hands balled into fists as her rage flared once again.

Byulyi closed her eyes and took a deep breath, trying to take the edge of her consuming rage that threatened to destroy everything in her path like a storm. No, she was no longer a young whelp who needed the approval of her Sire or could not control her temper. Along with her father, she firmly believed that one must master themselves before they could lead a family. She closed her eyes and regulated her breathing, dousing that consuming, blazing and intense rage into a messy ball of more manageable intense and raw feelings.

She would pick at these potent, enabling raw emotions in her own time when she was alone and deal with these feelings properly. Her eyes sprang open, a beautiful and enchanting azure. She scrubbed her face with a hand tiredly, turning around to rest her back against the door.

All Byulyi desired was to follow her original plan and head straight to Kim Yongsun’s apartment, all consequences be damned. She raised herself to her full height, her back ramrod straight when she realised that she was not alone.

Butler Moon stood rigidly nearly her, his hands behind his back. The intimidating butler seemed to be braced for combat as he met her scrutiny. His dark eyes shone with determination to accomplish his task.

“Heir Moonbyul, the Leader wishes that you remain in Moon residence for the foreseeable future,” announced the butler softly, lowering his head politely.

Byulyi scoffed. A house arrest. She was obviously disciplined for handing the Jung clan the opportunity to attack her. Her brows furrowed but she did not utter a word. She could not blame Father for his biased opinion: it did not matter if the Jung clan had exploited this opportunity to destroy her reputation, all that mattered was Moonbyul had displayed a weakness for the flesh for the second time. Her cherry-shaped lips thinned. “Do I have the permission to attend the ritual the following night?”

Butler Moon nodded at once. “The Leader has given permission on the condition that you hand over your personal communication devices and consent to a screening of all communications.”

The silver-haired alpha stiffened visibly, her face contorted with rage. In a heartbeat, that rage dissolved as she comprehended her new reality as a prisoner. Byulyi clicked her tongue, irritated and withdrew her mobile device from under her jacket. She handed it over to the butler promptly. “Butler Moon, I don’t wish to be disturbed until the start of the ritual,” concluded the silver-haired CEO icily. She walked towards the wing of the large mansion designated for the heir.

Byulyi scanned the entire wing carefully for any signs of monitoring devices within her wing as she pretended to walk aimlessly around. Her lips thinned when she spotted them at the balconies and the exits. She chuckled to herself sardonically and wondered if Leader Moon had intended for her to discover these devices and be on her best behaviour.

The Moonbyul from a decade ago might just submit to this unjust imprisonment out of duty as the heir of the Moon clan. The Moonbyul who had just returned from the frontlines would not care about the shackles of an heir of a powerful chaebol. She had shown her commitment by dedicating the best ten years of her life to serving the country and in turn, the clan, in the frontlines. The Moonbyul who learnt that she had a nine-year-old son was more prudent. She removed her jacket and flung it aside, walking out to the balcony to think.

An untouched mountain in the backyard of the Moon residence was one of its key defences. It was one of the reasons that none of their powerful enemies had succeeded invading their land even though they had ganged up and launched a risky attack near the conclusion of their militant reign, hoping to take advantage of their weakness. Of course, their enemies were massacred.

The mountain had also served as an arduous training ground for guerrilla tactics and survival. It reminded her of her trial at majority in which she had to survive staying in the mountain for the whole of her summer break with just a blade. An average member of the Moon clan only needed to survive a week to pass the test but there were impossibly demands for the main family that received unique blessings from the Moon Goddess—the heir would always be a powerful alpha whose authority could not be denied, marked by their gleaming silver hair and bright blue eyes.

Byulyi rested her hands on the railings, staring into the distance. Her alpha wolf was simply buzzing with energy, too restless to settle down. The idea that she was forced to stay away from the mother of her pup and her pup without a way to ascertain their safety had the CEO and her alpha wolf on the edge. She balled her hands into fists and slammed them on the railings hard, ignoring the injury to her hands.

Goddamn it.

The annoyed alpha prowled into her gym, bracing herself for an intense session of workout. She simply bounded her injured fists with tape before she threw herself fully at pounding the dense punching bag with all her might.

Sweat beaded on Byulyi’s brows as she tried to perfect every strike and kick, the heavy punching bag swinging violently from her relentless practice. It was easy for the silver-haired woman to slip into the routine of fighting, running through the twenty-five permutations of attack sequence she had mastered for the Olympics.

Byulyi had no idea how much time had passed while she was in the zone. When the silver-haired woman had landed a particularly savage attack on the punching bag, there was a loud snap, catching her attention. The punching bag flew across the gym and hit the ground with a loud thud.

Damn.

The silver-haired woman finally collapsed on the ground, panting roughly. All that restless energy that had kept her going had vanished suddenly. Byulyi scrubbed her sweaty face with a hand roughly, scowling when she got blood on her face.

“.” She turned to rest on her back and soon discovered a problem. Her expensive clothes were soaked through with her sweat. The wet fabric felt extremely disgusting against her skin and she ripped those expensive clothes away from her body savagely leaving her only in her underwear.

Byulyi lay on her back again and closed her eyes, trying to compose herself.

Her thoughts automatically drifted to Kim Dopul and Kim Yongsun. Would the mother and son be upset with her for not keeping her word? She sighed tiredly. All she needed was to bear the next two days and she would see them again.

No one could keep Moonbyul from her family.

Her sapphire eyes sprang open, falling on her hands. She sig

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter