Chapter 31: Teething Issues

Once and Always
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A beautiful woman with an air of sensuality was walking up and down the corridor, checking every practice room. She had sun-kissed skin, an unusual healthy shade in the entertainment industry. She boasted of y curves that would put any omega woman to shame. A prominent beauty mark on her cheek added to her exceptional beauty. Her thick wavy hair billowed behind her. “Unnie said that Unnie was here. Where is this woman?” She muttered to herself, bowing automatically in reaction to the other artists or staff that walked past her.

“Geez, should I call Unnie?” Hyejin considered, stopping before a used practice room. It was one of the smallest room the company had boasted. “I’m sure she should be in here.” She whispered to herself quietly as she contemplated. She inhaled a breath sharply and knocked on the door.

The door swung open suddenly, a hand shooting out to grab her before she was engulfed into the practice room roughly.

The singer screamed at the top of her voice, until she detected the familiar scent of sunshine.

“It’s me, Jinie-ah!” Kim Yongsun declared, covering her hand over Hyejin’s mouth, trying to shush her. Her kidnapper was glowing healthy, looking even more pretty than usual. Wavy golden hair parted in the middle and cascaded down her soft face, framing it. Her honeyed eyes were bright with panic as she desperately tried to silence her.

When Hyejin finally calmed down, the older woman let her go. She rested a hand on her frantically beating heart, taking a gulp of air to calm down. “Are you crazy, Unnie? Why are you here?” She demanded in a hushed whisper, staring at her former manager, partner and best friend. She placed a hand on her hips, akimboed. “Wait, why are whispering? This practice room is sound-proof.” She scoffed, throwing her arms into the air.

This practice room might be the smallest but it held the most memories for Yongsun. The beautiful older woman had used this room frequently when she needed extra practices as a trainee. It was so small that it could only contain a single keyboard and a flimsy chair. Including another person into this space was bordering on sin due to the limited space.

Yongsun took a breath and calmed down. “I forgot about that.” She spoke in her normal volume, looking apologetic. “Anyway, why are you looking for me?”

“Well, Unnie, you should have completed your day,” stated Hyejin nonchalantly. She raised a brow. “Anyway, you haven’t explained to me why you’re hiding here.”

“I’m trying to stay out of radar,” announced Yongsun sheepishly, guiding the singer to take a seat on the floor. She ran her hand through her golden hair absently.

“Out of radar? You’re acting so weird,” declared the singer, staring at her best friend openly. “Should I call Byul Unnie?” She asked, reaching for her mobile.

Immediately, the older woman snatched her mobile roughly away. “No, of course not!” yelled Yongsun, pressing the mobile to her chest. “What the hell are you trying to do?”

Hyejin blinked owlishly at her for several moments before she threw her head backwards and guffawed. She clutched her stomach as she rolled on the ground, tears in her eyes.

Yongsun relaxed but rolled her eyes at her best friend. “Ahn Hyejin, will you stop that!”

The laughing woman raised a hand up as she tried to regain composure. She finally found the energy to sit cross-legged as she wiped the tears off her eyes. “God, I haven’t laugh so hard for a while. Are you running away from her because you’re pregnant? That would have been absolutely hilarious.” The mirth from Hyejin’s eyes disappeared when she noticed that Yongsun had averted her gaze guiltily.

The sensual singer swore, upset. She clutched her shoulders and shook her vigorously. “Seriously, Unnie! We are going to debut in a week!”

The beautiful older woman sighed wearily, looking very guilty. “I know.”

Yongsun’s forlorn tone felt like icy water thrown into her face. This was serious. Unnie was truly pregnant. She took a deep breath, scrubbing her face agitatedly. “Oh .” She rose to her feet and walked to the wall. She rested a hand on it and leaned her full weight against it. “What are we going to do about this, Unnie?” She shook her head. “What are you planning to do, Unnie?”

The older woman looked properly chastised. “I haven’t thought about it besides trying to keep a distance from Byul and Doldol.” She looked unusually small after the confession.

“Unnie, you should take the time and think this through,” added Hyejin, exasperated. “It took ten years for you to get this opportunity, Unnie,” reminded the sensual singer softly, sliding down to a squat weakly. “And it is something that you have always wanted to do. Unnie, I don’t think you could wait for another opportunity.”

“I know,” lamented Yongsun, resting a hand on her toned stomach. “The symptoms of the recent stomach flu concealed the symptoms of pregnancy. Remember, I went to the company’s doctor and he diagnosed me with stomach flu.” She ran her hand through her hair. “I just learnt this news just two days ago. Your heart was over the moon, knowing that she was an Aunty again.” She added wryly.

Hyejin held her gaze steadily. “Unnie, are you happy?”

Yongsun considered the question for several moments and nodded hesitantly. “This little bean is a blessing.” Her gaze became gaze as she rested a hand on her stomach affectionately.

The younger woman was now more calmed, thinking things through. “Well, your circumstances are very different,” commented Hyejin, crossing her legs so that she was sitting properly. She was trying to analyse the situation that Yongsun was in. “You’re no longer a young, single-mother omega desperate to survive. You’re a well-established talent manager, happily mated and financially secured.”

The older woman scowled. “Are you trying to say that I wouldn’t have the fire in the belly to succeed?” She could not help the hurt in her tone. She was with Hyejin every step of the way as she tried to establish a foothold for herself in a cut-throat industry that discriminated individuals like Hyejin. She might not be an artist like Hyejin but she had fought the good fight with her and they were rewarded with respect and successful. Every single leader of the industry who had looked down on Hwasa had to eat their words.

“No, no, no,” gushed Hyejin, panicked. She grabbed her thigh, looking into her honeyed eyes. “Of course not, Unnie. We are a team! That was not what I mean. What I mean is if you truly wanted to debut as an artist now.”

“Of course! Why would I attend refresher courses and go through all these demanding training willingly?” Yongsun asked, a little heat in her tone. She had been working very hard on herself so that she could debut.

“But you’re with a child now,” reminded Hyejin in a gentle tone, looking sympathetic. “Don’t forget, you also have a mate too.” She squeezed Yongsun’s thigh. “How would that work?” In the past, Yongsun had the full autonomy when it came to her career since she was single. She did not need to take into account the opinion of another person in her decisions. Now, she had Byul Unnie and the alpha was a very involved and protective partner.

Yongsun sighed again, her shoulders slumping. “Why do you think I’m hiding in here?” She shook her head lightly. “It’s not just Byul, Doldol is also on my case. Somehow, he had sniffed out my condition after we were reunited.” She ran her hand through her hair, frustrated. They did not need to waste money and time on a blood test, all she needed was a devoted Moon alpha pup like Doldol to discern if she had conceived.

Hyejin whistled, her eyes widened. “Oh, Doldol is on it too? That’s tough.” She could not image trying to calm down two equally protective alphas at the same time. Her heart went to her best friend. She understood the need for the older woman to seek refuge in this practice room.

“I guess it isn’t that bad yet. Unnie, look at you. They haven’t wrapped you up with bubble wrap,” teased Hyejin, trying to lighten the despondent mood.

Yongsun sighed again. “No, they were more preoccupied with modifying our space so that I would not get hurt. It is just a matter of time that they reworked the entire Old Lady completely!” She shook her head, exasperated.

The sensual singer looked at her sympathetically and patted her back gently. “Unnie, I’m so sorry to hear that.”

Yongsun welcomed her affection, resting against her shoulder tiredly. “It has only been two days and it feels like an eternity.” She sighed once again. “Jinie-ah, I missed the time I was living with you. You were so wonderful, giving me the space that I needed while I was pregnant.”

Hyejin blushed, scratching the side of her nose. “Thank you, Unnie. You can’t compare that way. It’s just different. You’re my older sister and Doldol is just my nephew.” She stared at her toned stomach meaningfully. “This darling little bean here is a product of Byul’s and your love and Doldol’s only sibling.”

It had been amazing that an alpha like Hyejin could still hug her even though she was carrying a pup. The scent of a pregnant omega was meant to ward off other alphas. Somehow, the sensual singer just got accustomed to it.

Warmth filled Yongsun’s chest. Hyejin was truly a very good friend. The beautiful omega sighed deeply, resting her full weight on her best friend. She knew it was unfair to compare the two alphas. However, she was getting exasperated with the way the two Moon alphas treated her like a fragile vase.

Hyejin decided to change the subject. “Anyway, when are you going to tell Oppa?” Yongsun had prefaced their conversation with the reminder that the company doctor had diagnosed her with stomach flu and did not pick up her pregnant condition.

Yongsun sat up as she scrubbed her face with a hand. “I know. They know that I’m mated, surely they would expect me to conceive right?” Her eyes brightened with hope.

Hyejin felt sorry for her immediately. “Oh Unnie, I don’t think so.” Her gaze became mischievous. “I’m sure that Oppa doesn’t know that you’re such a big ert.” She waggled her brows salaciously at her. “Even I have heard of your fearsome exploits.” She chuckled.

The former manager was completely outraged. “Who told you such rubbish?” She spluttered, her face red. “Is it your heart?”

Hyejin panicked. “Of course not! You have only yourself to blame!” She took a breath to compose herself. She snorted and folded her arms across her chest. “You are always staring at your mate like a piece of meat! I don’t know why I’m so surprised that you had conceived so quickly.”

“Aish! I conceived Doldol in a night!” Yongsun bristled angrily, glaring at her best friend. “Have you even factor that in?” A heat had crept up her neck to colour her plump cheeks red.

“That was more than ten years ago,” countered Hyejin with some heat. She looked at her best friend like an idiot. “Unnie, you do realise that you will get less fertile with age, right?”

“But alphas don’t get less fertile until they turn seventy,” grumbled Yongsun, frowning. “Given that Doldol is male and alpha, you shouldn’t even be questioning her prowess.”

Silence stretched uncomfortably in the room as Hyejin stared at her, shocked.

“TMI, I’m sorry,” offered Yongsun finally, realising her mistake after a while. “But it takes two individuals to conceive a pup.” She added with some heat. “You shouldn’t just blame me for this condition—”

“Unnie, no one is blaming you for the pregnancy!” Hyejin shouted to get her attention before Yongsun continued with her tirade. She squeezed her shoulder affectionately. “No one should blame you for the pregnancy—”

“Aren’t you, Jinie-ah? You find this pregnancy problematic—”

“—Unnie, I didn’t say that. I’m only concerned about how you are going to cope with a debut in your condition,” interrupted Hyejin at once before the older woman developed the wrong idea. “Just take a deep breath and consider what you have just said, Unnie. I’m Jinie, the one who stayed with you throughout your pregnancy and raised Doldol alongside you.” The singer only realised that she was hurt by Yongsun’s comment after she mentioned their past.

Yongsun stared at her unblinkingly and lowered her head. “Jinie-ah, I’m so sorry.” Her voice was thick with remorse for blaming her. “Gods, I think I’m just too…” She was at a loss for words as she rested a hand on her forehead distractedly.

“It’s OK, Unnie. I know this is difficult for you,” crooned Hyejin, pulling the older woman in her embrace, hoping that it would soothe her. “We got through this once. We can get through this again.” She smiled encouragingly at her. She wrapped her arms around the older woman tenderly.

Holding a confused Yongsun felt so nostalgic. The determined woman was only this perplexed and despondent years ago when she was told that she would not be able to debut due to her pregnancy. Her mood became sour when she realised that it was a repeat of history.

A loud knock caught Hyejin’s attention. Before the best friends could react, the door swung outwards, revealing a very worried silver-haired woman. Silver hair billowed behind her prettily, adding to her ethereal elegance. The first thing that Hyejin had noticed was the way her silver brows were knitted.

Even though she was worried and angry, Moon Byulyi remained a very gorgeous woman. She was blessed with delicate, defined feminine features and expressive sapphire eyes. She also had this dangerous air that seemed to attract other omegas and women like flies to a candleflame.

Shivers went down Hyejin’s spine when Byul’s sapphire eyes glowed, her jaws clenched. It took her several moments to realise what Byulyi was looking at: she was hugging her pregnant mate closely. They were holding each other so closely that there was no way to tell where one began and the other ended.

Aggressive pheromones engulfed the practice room.

Moonbyul snarled, a terrifying sound that ricocheted against the sound-proof walls of the small practice room. Her exquisite face contorted with ugly anger as she stomped into the room and shoved Hyejin roughly away.

The younger woman could only grasp in surprise as she flew across the room, slamming heavily into the flimsy chair, her lower back taking the brunt of the blow. Pain shot up from the spot as she winced openly. The force of her crash caused the chair to rebound off the keyboard and fall on her. Hyejin could only hiss in pain.

“, what are you doing?” Yongsun snapped, shoving the very still Byulyi away as she scrambled to her feet swiftly, worried. Heart pounded rapidly. She ran to the younger woman, shifting the chair away from her carefully. “Are you hurt anywhere?” She studied the younger woman closely.

All Hyejin could do was raise a hand, stopping her best friend from getting too close. Her lips curled in a faint and uneasy smile. “I…I… I just need a moment.” Her lower back felt like it was on fire and it hurt just to move.

Yongsun frowned, trying to figure out where her injury was. The younger alpha was holding herself too stiffly, favouring her lower back. She gasped, covering with a hand. “We need to get you to the hospital now,” announced Yongsun grimly, getting on her feet. She started to search the practice room for a mobile anxiously.

Byulyi finally reacted, alarmed. She suppressed her guilt and approached the younger alpha cautiously, exposing her hands to show that she had meant no hurt.

“Just stay away from Jinie,” shrieked Yongsun, her eyes blazing with anger. “You’ve done enough!” She shoved her mate angrily but the younger woman did not even bulge.

The handsome silver-haired woman did not back down, only regarding the hurting younger alpha. “Hyejin, please let me help. Can you move?”

“No,” confessed the sensual singer in a small voice, the reality finally catching up with her that she was hurt. “, the debut is in—” She was pale from the pain that surged through her system.

“—It will be fine,” crooned Byulyi, trying to soothe the younger woman as she considered how to get her help. “Do you think it will be OK if I pick you up?”

Hyejin held her gaze steadily, her face contorted with pain. “We can try.”

“OK,” acknowledged Byulyi calmly, lowering herself to a squat. “I’m going to put my arm around your knee and your upper back.” She moved into position and placed her arms at the places that she had indicated, waiting for the younger woman to get comfortable.

Hyejin nodded hesitantly and Byulyi picked her up slowly, her gaze not leaving the face of the younger alpha. When the younger woman winced, Byulyi froze. “Should I continue?” The handsome alpha was half crouched, carrying the younger woman in a feat of incredible strength.

The sensual singer bit her bottom lip and nodded, giving Byul the go-ahead.

Byulyi frowned in concentration, trying not to jerk the younger woman as she lifted her carefully and rose to her feet. When she was finally standing up while cradling Hyejin, she expelled a breath that she did not know she was holding. She turned to look at Yongsun who was still searching for her mobile anxiously. “Unnie,” stated Byulyi, catching her attention. “Please use my mobile instead. It is in my right pocket.” She turned, offering the pocket to her mate.

Yongsun met her calm gaze fully. Seeing Byulyi take complete charge over this situation helped to ease some of her fear. She took a deep cleansing breath, fully focused. She averted her gaze, reached into Byulyi’s pocket. Minimising the amount of contact, she fished out her mobile and called an ambulance.

Now that the pregnant omega was calmer, she could find Hyejin’s mobile. She had snatched it from the singer when she had tried to call Byul and dropped it near the door.

“I’m going to take you to the carpark so that it is easier for the paramedics,” explained Byulyi slowly, still monitoring the expression of Hyejin closely. She could tell that the younger woman was in a lot of agony.

“That’s fine,” agreed Hyejin, entrusting her care to the older woman fully.

Yongsun nodded at Byul, agreeing with her plan and informed the paramedics accordingly. Together, they exited the practice room and made their way towards the carpark.

Most of the corridor was dark and empty since it was quite late.

The trio did not meet any staff until they were near the receptionist area. The staff gasped at the sight of Byulyi carrying a very pale Hyejin in her arms and Yongsun falling in step with them.

“What happened to Hwasa-ssi? Do you need assistance, Solar-ssi?”

“It’s fine,” answered Yongsun, taking charge of explaining to the staff. “We have already called for an ambulance and it will arrive soon. Just let Soojin know about this matter. She can just call Hyejinie’s mobile.”

The noise of an ambulance caught their attention. The receptionist hurried to open the door for the paramedics to enter. They had pushed a trolley and approached Byulyi who explained the condition of Hyejin succinctly as she placed the singer on it gently.

Yongsun naturally offered to follow Hyejin and ride in the ambulance, slipping back into the role of her manager.

Byulyi frowned when Yongsun simply climbed up into the ambulance without any care and sat next to Hyejin’s bed. Her pregnant mate was fixated on the singer, not bothering to offer a glance at her. No matter, she had arrangements to see to. She stopped one of the paramedics and informed them to take the injured singer to the hospital ran by the Moon clan.

There, Hyejin’s care was assured.

Her gaze automatically drifted back to Yongsun who was staring emotionally at Hyejin, clasping her hand. A cold sinking sensation filled her entire chest. Yet all she could do was to ground her jaws, her hands balled into tight fists.

She stood there, motionlessly until the paramedics shut the heavy doors of the ambulance with a loud ‘thud’. Byulyi snapped into attention and forced herself to relax her clenched hands.

“We can only take one person along with us,” explained the paramedic apologetically.

“It’s fine. I’ll just follow you in my car,” answered Byulyi, keeping her tone casual. “I’ll see you in the emergency room.” She turned around, her silky silver hair billowed behind her.

“Unnie is just worried about Jinie,” muttered Byulyi to herself, trying to comfort herself. She could not ignore the painful way her stoma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter