Chapter 20: The meaning of the clasp

Once and Always
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Byul-ah, what do you think about this dress?” Kim Yongsun asked, taking a twirl around her partner, display the modest and loose dress that fluttered like a breezy. Her brown brows furrowed at once when she did not receive an immediate answer from the silver-haired woman reclining on their bed, already fully dressed and waiting.

Her honeyed eyes narrowed when Byulyi did not lift her head from her mobile, smashing the screen of her mobile with her fingers swiftly, her silver brows furrowed in concentration. Her lips were pursed and the younger woman looked like she was deep in introspection.

“Byulyi,” prompted Yongsun again, some heat in her tone.

“Perfect, honey,” acknowledged Byulyi after giving her a cursory glance and returning her attention to her mobile again.

Yongsun hissed, arms akimboed. “Whatever!” She threw her arms into the air animatedly and stomped back into the walk-in wardrobe. Blood was pounding in her ears and she could no stand being in the same space as her apathetic mate lest she blew up at her.

Within seconds, there was a gentle knock on the door of the walk-in wardrobe, although it was open. The beautiful brunette spun around sharply and met the sheepish gaze of a very handsome Byulyi who was rubbing her nape awkwardly. “Unnie, may I enter please?”

Yongsun harrumphed, turning away while she folded her arms across her chest, upset.

The remarkably meek Byulyi shuffled into the walk-in wardrobe and stood in front of her. “Unnie, I’m sorry,” offered the younger woman meekly. “I shouldn’t have been so indifferent and undermined your reasonable concerns about making a good impression later.” She sighed, defeated. The sharp scent of distress hung in the air. Through their bond, she could acutely feel the distress of her omega as her own. She opened her arms. “May I hold you please?”

The question was an acknowledgement of her feelings while offering space. Some of the anger dissolved at her sincerity. She brushed her ash-brown bangs away from her soft face and scrutinised her countenance, determining if she was sincere about her apology. Unlike Byulyi who could sense her feelings through their bond, she did not have that privilege yet and needed to rely on her observation.

Silence stretched between them.

It felt like an eternity later when Yongsun nodded curtly and waited patiently.

The handsome younger woman heaved a sigh of relief. She closed the distance between them swiftly, pulling the shorter woman into her arms. She pressed her lips on her head. “Thank you for forgiving me, Unnie.”

“Not honey?” Yongsun quipped, raising a single brow at her, unamused.

“Yeobo-nim,” corrected Byulyi gently, determination gleaming in her remarkably blue eyes. The younger woman reverted to Korean just to emphasize the difference in meaning.

“Aish, greasy!” Yongsun smacked her chest, any remains of her annoyance vanished completely. She huffed, trying to look completely unimpressed with the handsome woman. “Don’t you change the subject with your sweet tongue, Byul. It’s very obvious that you don’t believe that making a first impression on your family is important.”

Byulyi chuckled, her nose crinkled. She was tickled by Yongsun’s impression of her. “Unnie, I’m just naturally like this. I can’t understand why you and Wheepup think that way.” The fond smile disappeared from Byul’s beautiful, exquisite face as she stared deeply into the soft brown eyes of Yongsun.

The CEO nodded cautiously. “Yes, I don’t agree with you,” concurred Byulyi, choosing to be very blunt with Yongsun, just the way she preferred. Her honeyed eyes blazed with irritation but Byulyi continued her explanation. “First, they changed the dinner to a lunch at the very last minute and expected us to adhere to their schedule.” Her remarkably blue eyes narrowed. “I don’t really care for their attitude or approval. I know who I want to spend the rest of my life with and that is you, Unnie. Only you will be the mother of my pups and my mate,” declared Byulyi with some much faith that her sapphire eyes gleamed.

Byul realised that she sounded too impassionate. “Seriously, Unnie. You don’t have to pander to them,” concluded the younger woman, giving an absent shrug.

Yongsun stared at her, hard. At the surge of annoyance, she squeezed her eyes shut and counted to three in her head. She regulated her breathing and calmed down.

How could Byul be so egoistic that she would not consider the feelings of her parents?

And what sort of nonsense was Byul sprouting?

Pander? She wasn’t humbling herself to earn their approval like a beggar pleading for scraps of their generosity. It was an expression of her respect for the elders and hope that they could eventually be a family.

Yongsun noticed the gleam of resolute in Byulyi’s eyes and sighed, crushed. Her brows furrowed. No, she wasn’t going to just cave in without explaining how she truly felt about making a good first impression. “Byul, I thank you for your commitment,” quipped Yongsun, breaking the silence. “Making a good first impression on your parents is important to me because I want them to feel that I’m a good partner to you.”

She was relieved when Byul was listening attentively.

“When we get married and eventually lead the clan, I want your parents to believe that they can entrust the running of the clan to us, it will smoothen our lives after marriage,” added Yongsun emotionally. “Isn’t it better to start a relationship on a good foot? It’s my sincere desire that your parents could have an amicable relationship with us.”

Byulyi’s expression remained neutral as she processed her words slowly. She took her hands gently into hers. She raised them to her face and kissed her knuckles lovingly, crooning. Byul’s eyes were soft with love as she stared intently into her eyes. “Unnie, thank you,” smiled Byulyi, a lump of emotions in . She rested her face against Yongsun’s hands. “Thank you for believing in us.” How could she be anything but supportive when Yongsun was trying to make their future more pleasant.

Yongsun answered with a soft cooed, caressing her cheeks gently. A part of her was relieved that she had managed to get Byul see her point of view.

“Unnie, I’m going to be blunt. They will not see your efforts.” Her sapphire eyes were cold. Immediately, Yongsun’s heart fell.

“Leader Moon and his wife may not be conscious about social status but that is more of an expression of nonchalance. Why would a lion be conscious about a leaf of grass? I’m certain that they have already formed a prejudiced and unfavourable opinion of you.” She hated to see her omega become crestfallen. “Unnie, it’s fine. What matters to the clan and them is this.” She touched the intricate bracelet on her wrist. “I have already accepted you as my fiancée formally with clanmates as our witnesses.”

A cold sinking sensation knotted Yongsun’s stomach. Byulyi painted a tough, uphill climb to win the approval of her parents. What about Doldol then? A part of her was also anxious to let Dopul meet his paternal family.

Byulyi’s eyes softened when she sensed her worry and she pulled the shorter woman into her embrace. “What is wrong?”

“W-will…Will our Doldol be OK?” She asked anxiously, fear clawing into her chest. “Should we just introduce him to them some other time?”

Byulyi met her gaze openly, picking up the fear in her eyes. “Would you feel better if we introduce him some other day?”

Yongsun considered the question openly. She knew that it would be a logistic nightmare since they would need to arrange another security team to keep Dopul safe. The ten-year old boy was allowed to skip school so that he could attend this lunch at the Moon Mansion. “Could we make it work?”

The CEO nodded at once. “Of course, I can arrange for Hajoon and his team to watch over him here. I could arrange for Hajoon to take him to the villa to ride his dirt bike. Ace will be there to take care of him too. We will join him after lunch.” She omitted the point that no one who was sane would take away a pup of a Moon alpha, the very hint of that intention was an invitation to death, for the entire clan.

Yongsun buried her head into her chest, holding her tight. She was more inclined to introduce Dopul on a later date.

“Mummy, Byul, are you ready? We’re going to be late,” announced Dopul, sounding like he was at the door.

“We’re in the walk-in wardrobe,” replied Byulyi, keeping her gaze on Yongsun as the older woman drew away from her embrace and tried to tidy her appearance. Byulyi wordlessly took over the task and tidied her hair meticulously.

Dopul joined them in the walk-in wardrobe. He looked absolutely perfect, his short silver hair parted neatly to the side. He wore a plain white dress shirt matched with a neatly-pressed grey trousers, an exact mini-me of Byulyi.

“You look so handsome, “cooed Yongsun, hugging him gently.

Dopul glanced at Byuly for an answer. With a look, Sire and pup shared a silent conversation.

Dopul hugged Yongsun back. “Thank you, Mummy. Mummy, are you OK?”

Yongsun released him and sighed. Of course, her observant pup would pick up her distress. “Mummy is worried about letting the Moon clan meet you later. Would you mind if we postpone the meeting to another day?”

The handsome pup glanced at Byulyi for clarification. “Can we cancel the lunch, Byul?”

“What Mummy and I mean is that we will attend the lunch while you ride your dirt bike with Ace—”

The precocious boy shook his head vehemently. “No. If you’re still attending the lunch, I want to attend it with you.” His silver brows furrowed as his gaze vacillate between Byul and Mummy. He understood that Mummy was worried about him. “Mummy, you don’t need to worry about me. Let me be by your side. I’m sure the Moon clan will view you in more favourable light when they know that you have me.”

Yongsun’s eyes stung when she realised that the only reason that Dopul wanted to attend the lunch was to take care of her. She looked at Byulyi helplessly, hoping that she could convince their son.

“Byul, it is true, isn’t it?” Dopul asked, seeking support from Byulyi.

Byulyi sighed when Yongsun and Dopul looked at her eagerly, hoping for her support. “If I’m to make this decision, I’d rather Pip not attend this lunch.” Dopul deflated at once at her decision. “Pip, I will keep Mummy safe. She is my omega—”

“—You may keep Mummy physically safe but you can’t stop them from mocking her!” Dopul exploded, his eyes turning dark. The sharp scent of distress had everyone on the edge.

Byulyi pressed her hands on his shoulders, trying to help her pup to calm down. “C’mon. Pip. Just take a deep breath.” It took a while for Dopul to calm down sufficiently to follow her instructions. He closed his eyes and started to take a large gulp of air and forced himself to take long and deep breaths.

It felt like an eternity later before Dopul calmed down fully and allowed the weight of his actions sink in. He blinked continuously, trying to fight the surge of tears. “I’m…I’m sorry Byul and Mummy.”

The CEO hugged him gently. “It’s OK, Pip. You did a good job calming down.” Their training was starting to show some results.

Yongsun lowered herself so that she was at the eye level of Dopul. She cupped Dopul’s face gently. “My silly silly pup. Thank you for caring for me but Mummy can handle this. Besides, Byul will be by my side. I just don’t feel comfortable allowing you to meet them so soon.”

The pup grew thoughtful at her explanation. “Mummy, you really don’t want me to attend this lunch with you?”

The manager nodded without missing a beat. “We have important things to discuss among the adults and I’m sure you’ll be invited to leave the room at some point. I don’t think I will feel comfortable not having you in my sight.”

Dopul hummed a sound of acknowledgement. It seemed like his presence would create more anxiety for his Mummy. He sighed, defeated. He glanced at Byul. “Byul, please don’t let others hurt Mummy’s feelings. Mummy might be able to handle it but I don’t like the idea of anyone hurting her even if I might be related by blood to them.”

Byul smiled ferally. “You’ve my word.”

Dopul grinned, mirroring that feral smile exactly. The sight of identical smiles sent shivers down Yongsun’s back.

Oh, this pair of Sire and pup.

“Aiggo, Byul an Doldol are too much. I can take care of myself—”

“—Of course, you can, Mummy,” agreed Dopul at a heartbeat, smiling sweetly at her. “Byul is supposed to take care of the others.”

Twin evil smirks greeted Yongsun and she felt a headache coming on. Dopul had completely twisted the meaning of her words. “AISH! Don’t I get a say in this!” She was so exasperated that she was rendered completely speechless. was cycling like a fish, trying to find the words to express her frustration.

“Byul, it is almost time,” reminded Dopul, looking at his sire. “I’ll stick with Hajoon and have fun with Ace.”

Byulyi smiled brightly, glad that he was taking the change of plans in his stride. She was also honoured by his faith that she would take care of Yongsun. “Great. We will see you there later. This outfit is a little too pretty to be worn to the dirt tracks. You should get changed, Pip.”

“OK! Love you Mummy and Byul.” Dopul flung his arms around his parents, hugging them tightly. With an excitement that was characteristic of a ten-year-old child, he darted out of the walk-in wardrobe, thrilled to be riding again. He was also quick to leave Byulyi to deal with the aftermath and calm Mummy down.

The silver-haired woman smiled faintly, feeling the exasperation and annoyance of her omega. She held her hands, gaining her full attention. “Unnie, I couldn’t decide on any of the outfits that you tried. I truly loved all thirty sets of clothes including this really pretty little summer dress.” She smiled indulgently and pecked on her generous lips. Her sapphire eyes illuminated with amusement. “Wow, my omega has such versatile beauty that she could pull off any style effortlessly.” There was only awe in her eyes as she praised her wholeheartedly.

“Aiggo! Why are you so greasy?” Yongsun complained as she flinched. Her brows furrowed as she swatted her chest lamely. She whined when she noticed that Byulyi was enjoying her frustration so much that she was snickering openly. “You’re so annoying!” She shoved the younger woman hard but there was very little effect on her.

Suddenly, the laughter faded from her ocean-blue eyes. She pressed their hands together, palm to palm. “Unnie,” began Byulyi, her brows furrowing. “You only need to remember that I have already made my decision. Nothing will change that.” She lifted her head and stared intently into her brown eyes. “I’ll be very displeased if you didn’t.”

“And what will you do?”

Byulyi’s expression became haunted, sending shivers down her spine.

Yongsun sighed, realising that her upset alpha meant every word. She kissed her cherry-shaped lips placatingly. “Byul, I won’t forget. I don’t share what is mine.” She slid her hand along her neck to touch the familiar ridge on her scent gland, the mark that she had left on her, binding them together.

Byulyi broke into a smile, touching her cheek. “Good. We should go now. I need to update the security team and settle some arrangements.” She took her hand, now a habit, and led her out of their bedroom in search of her personal bodyguard. She was surprised to see Hajoon waiting in the living room patiently.

“Little Master has already update me of the change of plans. I have already let Viscount—”

“—Ace—" amended Byulyi, glancing at Yongsun pointedly as she clapped on his shoulder. “I’ll leave you to coordinate with the team and ensure the safety of Pip. Unnie and I will join you at the villa later.”

Hajoon bowed deeply, accepting her instructions. He raised his head, looking into the eye of Byulyi. “Moonbyul, you will also need to watch yourself when you return to the Moon Mansion.”

She chuckled, amused that her bodyguard was this concerned. The Moon Mansion was still her home. She squeezed his shoulder. “Just take care of my son. I can handle everything else.”

Yongsun took her hand, squeezing it. It wasn’t wise for them to be late for the lunch. The couple headed down to the lobby where a deep-blue limousine was already waiting for them. The driver stepped out of the driver’s seat ready to open the door for his employers.

Byulyi rejected his offer, choosing to hold the door open for Yongsun politely. Yongsun was her girl, of course, she could take care of her. Yongsun’s sweet smile was all the reward she needed. Her heart fluttered at the way her eyes curved into twinkling crescents as her generous lips curled in a smile. She was the attentive , closing the door after Yongsun after making sure that the older woman was seat comfortably.

The CEO joined her at the backseat and held Yongsun’s hand. Immediately, the engine of the car purred to life and it began to move. She raised a brow at her when she felt her amusement. Yongsun seemed to find something really funny.

Yongsun, noticing her arched brow, explained at once, laughing. “Our Doldol has been holding doors too.”

Byulyi tilted her head, confused. Wasn’t it good that Dopul was learning some manners?

“That’s, of course, not the problem. He does it even though I’m a driver,” added Yongsun, her honeyed eyes bright with mirth. Byulyi loyally waggled her head in a so-so way. It was awkward but not entirely unacceptable.

The manager flipped her brown hair, mildly amused with Byulyi’s rose-tinted lens when it came to their Doldol. “Byul, it is weird. I still need to help him to put on his seat belt when he sits in front.” She chuckled brightly.

Oh.

It took a while for Byulyi to comprehend that Pip imitated the displays of chivalry wrongly. There were always nuances when it came to manners. Her cherry-shaped lips curled languorously in a lopsided smile, her nose scrunching adorably. “OK, that’s funny,” concurred Byulyi, laughing with her omega. “It’s still sweet though.” She laced their fingers together. “Walk me through your plans for the rest of the day.”

“Byul, are you going to leave our Wheepup to handle your work in Moon Defence?” She raised a brow at her.

The silver-haired woman looked amused. “Unnie, I’m a CEO. I don’t need to be personally involved with every single matter. I’m sure CEO Kim is also the same.”

Yongsun stared at her pointedly.

“No, I’m not hoisting my work to our Wheepup. She is also busy with absorbing the asserts of the Jung clan and reorganising them. I told you about how Seulbear went nuts on the Lees and the Jungs? Our smart Wheepup is exploiting that opportunity to buy over their asserts and establish our footing in the healthcare industry.”

“Ah, she would be very busy,” commented Yongsun.

“They were meant to be Wheepup’s rightful inheritance anyway. Her father was from the main family, taking precedence inheriting the position before this current Jung. I guess his insecurity about his position led him to make very bad decisions,” remarked Byulyi offhandedly.

“And the Lees?”

“Not too sure. I know that Seulbear might have plans.” All she was interested in was the boutique hotel that Yongsun and her had met. Through intermediary, she had also bought the hotel. “I don’t really care. Anyway, what are your plans, Unnie?”

“We can pick up our Doldol after lunch and spend some time with him. I’m only expected to be in the office in the later part of the afternoon. We’re looking at the schedule of Hwasa for the next half a year.”

Ah, Yongsun had such a packed schedule. Yongsun could have taken the entire day off but she was still motivated to go to work. “Unnie, if you could do anything you like, what would you like to do? I know that you had a scholarship to become a teacher in the past. Do you still want to pursue that?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter