(gu)

Peach Blossom Promises

Lady Kim tries her best to shower Mura with words of reassurance and plenty of affection, despite it doing little to bring comfort to her distraught daughter, who has been utterly miserable since the previous night upon discovering the King was taken gravely ill; something that had been news to Lady Kim herself.

The matriarch is barely holding herself together as she battles with her own anxiety. Along with finding out about the King’s condition, she had also learned from her husband of Chanyeol’s situation. She had collapsed to the floor upon receiving the news from the sheer shock of it. 

Lady Kim never viewed Chanyeol as her brother-in-law’s son. Since the day he entered their home as a little boy, Lady Kim regarded him as her own and nothing else. Chanyeol is her son and she his mother. And what mother can ever fathom losing a child?

Mura is yet to be privy about her cousin's situation. Because has been so distraught, both Lord Park and Lady Kim could not find it in themselves to also reveal the plight her cousin finds himself in. 

Mura-ya, may I enter?”

Mura hears her father’s voice from the other side of her chamber door. “Yes.” She promptly gets up on her feet. 

So does her mother. 

Mura quickly approaches her father once he enters the room. “How is he?” The desperation in her query is palpable. 

Lord Park contemplates the best way to convey the information.“He still breathes, however…” He pauses momentarily. “His condition remains unchanged. He is not responding to any methods of treatment. The physician said it is now up to His Majesty, himself, to fight off the disease. I hate to say it, but I’m afraid the prospects are not very promising.”

Mura closes her eyes and swallows the knot in as tears leak out of her shut lids. “May I see him today?”

This is the part Lord Park has been dreading the most. “I’m afraid, the appeal to grant you visitation privileges has been… declined.”

Mura is stunned. “What? But why?”

“The Grand Queen Dowager believes it is not within your right.”

“Not within my rights?” Mura is bewildered. “I am still his wife. We remain lawfully wedded to each other. How can they disallow me to see my own husband while he fights for his life?”

“Forgive me, my child. Despite my efforts, I could not persuade the Grand Queen Dowager,” Lord Park conveys with remorse. 

Mura covers her face before dropping to the floor, as she begins to cry without restraint. Her mother comes and takes her in an embrace.

Lord Park and Lady Kim can only share a sorrowful glance.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Eunbo enters the King’s bedchamber to find the Queen Dowager sitting beside her unconscious son.

“Who- oh, Yoo Sukui.” The dowager acknowledges the royal consort.

Eunbo watches the elder wipe her wet cheeks. She offers a bow to the elder. 

“Have you come to check on the King?”

“Yes.” Eunbo nears the dowager and the sleeping king. 

“He drifts in and out of wakefulness. Although he has been sleeping quite peacefully without disturbance for the past hour or so,” the dowager informs. “However, when he goes too long without making a sound or a movement, I find myself checking for his breath in order to ascertain if he still…” the dowager chokes, unable to finish the grim thought.

Eunbo’s heart breaks for her mother-in-law. 

“I have lost my husband not too long ago, and now I stand to lose my son, as well,” the dowager speaks through her sobs. “At least, I had plenty of time to prepare myself for the late king’s eventual passing. But to lose my son— so young, so full of vigor— I could not have imagined such a tragedy to befall me.” 

“Pray, do not lose faith, Daebi-mama.” Eunbo consoles the dowager. “For as long as the King breathes, there still remains hope that he will recover.”

The Queen Dowager forces herself to cease her tears. “Yes, you are right, Sukui, I mustn’t presume the worst. I must have faith— in the heavens… in my son.”

Mama, may I humbly suggest you find some respite in your chambers? I’ve heard you have been here all day and it is now nearly sundown,” Eunbo says. 

“I cannot bring myself to leave his side,” The dowager says.

“Sitting here all night won’t do you or His Majesty any favor. He would wish for his mother to be well rested.”

The dowager sighs. “Very well.” She then gets up and faces her daughter-in-law before giving her a small smile. “Thank you, my dear.” 

Eunbo bows as the dowager takes her leave. 

The royal consort then directs her attention to the sleeping king. The visibly pitiful and ailing state of the man ushers in a swell of guilt within her. Despite her best efforts to keep all of her concerns for Park Chanyeol at bay and concern herself solely with the King's wellbeing, the man she is actually bound to, she has thus far failed miserably to do so. Of course, she worries for the King’s current condition and prays ardently for his speedy recovery. That worry, however, stems purely from the loyalty she feels toward the man as his subject. Her worries for Park Chanyeol, however, feel more consequential... more personal.

The King stirs in his sleep while he mumbles unintelligibly. 

Chonha?” Concerned, Eunbo sits down next to the man to better hear him. “What is it, Your Majesty?’

Buin,” Eunbo hears the King mumble with a pinched expression while he remains half asleep. Buin,” he repeats.

The King appears as though he is in pain, thus Eunbo sends for the physician promptly. By the time the physician arrives, the King had already eased. Still, for good measure, the physician examines him.

“How is he?” Eunbo inquires. 

“No improvements, Jaga," the physician informs regretfully before leaving.

As Eunbo watches over the unconscious king, she recalls him repeatedly uttering the word, buin. It hadn’t been the first time she had heard that word being mentioned by the King.

“Bu Naegwan,” Eunbo addresses Samnom, who stands in a corner.

“Yes, Jaga,” the eunuch answers. 

The short and stout man appears downhearted. His master’s condition has been casting a shadow on his state of mind as it has been on others who know of the monarch’s illness.

The eunuch has been serving the King since the latter had only been a 10-year-old prince while he, himself, had been but fifteen. In twelve years, the eunuch watched the little prince grow up as a capable crown prince before seamlessly taking on the mantle of king. 

During these twelve years, Samnom has been closely and diligently serving his royal master. Along the way, the dedicated eunuch managed to establish himself as the said royal’s most trusted and favored aide, while the royal earned the eunuch’s utmost loyalty and reverence. 

Samnom dreamed of serving his master for many more years to come. He dreamed of witnessing his master live up to his potential and become a great king one day. However, as things currently stand, those dreams hang by a weak little thread and it devastates the eunuch.

“Is it possible to have Lady Park visit His Majesty?” Eunbo asks the eunuch.

“You speak of the deposed Crown Princess?”

“Yes.”

“Apparently, Councilor Park sought permission for Lady Park to visit His Majesty, however, I’ve heard his request was denied by the Grand Queen Dowager.”

Eunbo frowns at the eunuch. “But why?”

“I do not know, Jaga.”

Eunbo returns her gaze to the King. 

“His Majesty has been calling for Lady Park in his sleep,” Samnom mentions. 

So it hadn’t been a solitary instance when Eunbo heard the King call for her earlier. “Buin… it is her, is it not?”

“He would address her as such in private,” Samnom confirms. “It is a shame he cannot have her next to him as he desires even in his condition.” The eunuch tears up, for he feels so utterly sorry for his master.

It is a shame, Eunbo agrees. And deplorable. This unconscious man may be in a frail state, but as long as he still lives, he is still the head of state. It is disgraceful that the sovereign of this nation should fail to have a loved one beside him as he lay on what could very well be his deathbed.

After a great deal of thought, Eunbo decides she cannot simply idly watch the ailing man be deprived of what he longs for. She may not love the King as a woman ought to love her man, but that should have no bearing on her duty as his consort, which is to serve him the best way she can.

“Bu Naegwan,” Eunbo calls.

Samnom wipes his tears away. “Yes, Jaga,”

“I require your assistance.”

“Regarding?”

“Before I tell you, you must promise me your discretion.” Eunbo casts a determined gaze at the eunuch.

Samnom blinks nervously. Whatever it is, it must not be by the books. “Does it pertain to His Majesty?”

“Yes, it is in his service alone.”

Samnom’s eyes momentarily flicker at his unconscious master before settling back on the royal consort. “Then you have my word, Jaga.”

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Lady Kim weeps while Lord Park sits beside her helplessly in their chamber. He has long given up on consoling his wife, who has been dreading over Chanyeol’s yet-to-be-determined fate. In separate quarters, his daughter, too, is likely crying her eyes out. Lord Park, himself, wishes he could weep over their dire circumstances, however, he simply cannot afford to fall apart like his wife and daughter, for there must at least be someone to hold things together.

Daegam-manim.”

Lord Park’s thoughts are interrupted by a servant’s call. He leaves his distraught wife’s side to answer it.

“What is it?” He asks the servant upon opening his chamber door. 

“A messenger from the palace wishes to see you,” the servant informs. 

Lord Park asks if it is the same man who came to see him the night before, but he learns it is a different man this time. The patriarch makes his way to the front gate to meet with this mysterious visitor. 

Chwasang-daegam.” The messenger bows to the councilor before handing the servant next to him a bundle wrapped in a silk cloth and an envelope. “From Yoo Sukui-jaga,” the messenger mentions. 

Consort Yoo? Lord Park stares at the bundle with puzzlement. What could the royal consort possibly have to send him? He takes the envelope from his servant’s possession. 

“Her Excellency requires an immediate response,” the messenger states.

Lord Park takes out the letter from the envelope and unfolds it. Upon reading its content he glances at the messenger and then at the bundle in his servant’s hands as he contemplates his response to Consort Yoo. 

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Manim, pray eat something. You haven’t had a morsel to eat all day.” Janshil pleads with her mistress while a tray of food remains perched on a table, untouched. 

However, her plea goes on deaf ears as Mura remains unmoving and unresponsive, choosing instead to quietly sob while her forehead rests on her crossed arms, placed over her folded knees. 

Manim, please. Eat at least a little.” Janshil persists. 

“Mura-ya, it is your father. I am entering.”

Janshil quickly stands up upon hearing Lord Park’s voice. 

The patriarch enters the chamber and addresses the maid. “Janshil-ah, take this.” He hands her the bundle in his possession. 

Mura does not even look up to acknowledge her father; too consumed with despair.

Janshil unties the bundle and inside she finds what at first glance looks to be a uniform. It does not take her long to ascertain that it is a nurse’s uniform. A royal nurse’s uniform, to be precise.

“Dress Mura in it quickly,” the patriarch orders the maid. “She will be leaving for the royal palace soon.”

Mura’s head shoots up upon hearing her father’s words and her wet, swollen eyes regard him with surprise. Lord Park in turn gives his daughter a small smile and an affirming nod. 

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

 

The plan concocted by Eunbo and Samnom is simple, really. The plan in which Lord Park has agreed to participate, as stated in his response to the royal consort’s letter.

Mura is to be smuggled inside the royal palace under the disguise of a royal nurse in order for her to visit the King. Though very simple, the plan, no doubt, is illicit in nature and could have dire repercussions for all involved if found out. 

Lord Park is risking a great deal by taking part in this scheme, however, he also couldn’t bring himself to refuse such an opportunity for the sake of his be daughter.

Janshil dresses Mura in the nurse’s clothing, which consists of matching blue silk jeogori and chima that are then covered with a white cotton apron and cinched around the waist with a silk blue ribbon. Janshil styles her mistress’ hair accordingly before pinning a black silk garima1 atop her head, completing the uniform. 

Lord Park takes it upon himself to Mura to the royal palace and they ride there together on horseback. 

As per Consort Yoo’s instructions, instead of using the main gate, the father-daughter duad makes the trek to a smaller gate situated in the back of the palace, where they are received by Samnom.

“Go along,” Lord Park tells his daughter. “Make sure to return by the hour of the pig. I shall wait here until then.”

Mura nods at him. 

“This way, manim.” Samnom leads her. 

Before they make their way to the King’s chamber, Samnom hands Mura a mask that covers the lower half of the face so that she isn’t recognized by any of the King’s other attendants from her days as the Crown Princess. The mask shouldn't rouse any suspicion as it is standard practice to wear one when serving a patient with a contagious disease. 

They enter the King’s quarters without issue. 

“Yoo Sukui-jaga, it is I, Samnom,” the eunuch announces upon reaching the King’s chamber door. “I bring the nurse with me per your request. May we enter?”

“You may,” comes the voice of Consort Yoo.

The double sliding doors open, revealing Consort Yoo’s graceful figure standing tall in the middle of the room. 

Samnom gestures for Mura to go in and she gingerly steps inside before the doors behind her close shut.

Sukui-jaga.” Mura offers her bow to the other lady. 

The last time they had met Mura had been the Crown Princess and the other woman was her inferior as a mere young maiden. But now their social ranks have reversed, for Lady Yoo now stands as Mura’s superior. 

“Park-sshi,” Eunbo returns Mura’s greeting. “I am so very glad you could make it.” 

She then steps aside revealing the translucent curtain hanging from the ceiling. Behind it, the body of the King can be vaguely seen, sleeping.

Mura takes a deep breath in for this moment proves much too overwhelming. She isn’t sure if it’ll be appropriate for her to approach the King.  

“Do not mind me, Park-sshi,” Eunbo speaks and Mura glances at her. “Please, feel free to go to him.”

Mura’s apprehension must have been visible to the royal consort. Having received the permission, Mura pads toward the unconscious king. She walks around the curtain and at the first sight of the man’s sickly state, a torrent of emotions crashes into her. She gently settles beside the lying man and gazes at him teary-eyed. 

Chonha,” Mura whispers as her crying intensifies, but she is mindful about keeping it down.

Seeing the King in the flesh feels rather bittersweet. On one hand, Mura is ecstatic about beholding her husband, at last, after longing to see him for months. But on the other hand, the state in which she finally gets to see him is utterly heartbreaking. When she had dreamed of a possible reunion with the King in the future, she never imagined it to be under such heart-rending circumstances. 

Mura takes the King’s hand in her own and is dismayed by the sheer heat his skin emanates. His fever must be running dreadfully high.

Eunbo sits herself in the farthest corner of the room to allow Lady Park some privacy with the King. And she soon finds her mind drifting off to the thoughts of Park Chanyeol.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

 

The time for Mura to leave inevitably arrives. The strength and will it takes for her to leave her husband’s side proves to be the most daunting task she has ever had to take on. 

Jaga, this may be an inordinate request, but may I return tomorrow for another visit? I promise it to be the last one.”

Eunbo thinks momentarily. “I shall discuss it with Bu Naegwan. I will send word if it is indeed possible.”

“Thank you, Jaga. Thank you so much for your benevolence. You have taken an enormous risk tonight to no gains of your own. I am forever indebted to you.” Mura is driven to tears.

“I was happy to be of help,” Eunbo expresses earnestly. 

After bidding farewell to Consort Yoo, Mura follows Samnom as he leads her back to the gate from which she had entered the palace; where her father awaits her. 

“Bu Naegwan,” she addresses the eunuch as they walk.

“Yes, manim.”

“I did not see my cousin. Is he off duty?”

Samnom is taken aback by the inquiry. “Haven’t you heard, manim?”

“Heard what?”

Samnom stops, also bringing Mura’s steps to a halt. 

“What is the matter?” Mura asks the eunuch.

Samnom regards her apologetically. “Park Naegumwi has been imprisoned.”

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

The next day Mura receives word from Consort Yoo informing her that another visit to the King can be arranged. 

While pleased with the news, Mura cannot bring herself to rejoice. Her state of mind has taken a turn for the worst. 

Upon learning about Chanyeol’s situation, Mura had nearly collapsed. She had then accosted her father for keeping it a secret from her and when she returned home, she and her mother had wept in each other’s arms. 

How much more can a mere mortal tolerate? How is Mura ever to deal with the possible loss of both his beloved cousin and her husband simultaneously?

Mura truly wishes to laugh at her deplorable fortune. She must have truly committed an unspeakable and heinous crime in her past life to be handed one blow after another before she ought to lose her sanity. 

Night comes, and Mura is again taken to the palace by her father, dressed as a royal nurse once again. They repeat the steps from the night before and Mura once again finds herself inside the King’s chamber in the presence of Consort Yoo.

“You will be glad to know His Majesty’s fever has somewhat lessened,” Eunbo happily informs.

Mura’s expression comes alive. “Truly?” 

Eunbo nods. “He isn’t out of the woods, per se, but it certainly serves as a sliver of hope.”

And Mura will cling to any bit of hope she can find. “May I?” She asks permission to approach the King.

“Of course.” Eunbo makes way for the other woman before she sits down in the same corner she sat in the previous night. 

Mura sits beside her sleeping husband, holding his hand just like the night before. Tonight his skin feels more warm than hot. Indeed his fever appears less severe. 

“Pray, live, Chonha. You must live,” Mura whispers through quiet sobs. 

The King begins to stir, alerting her. His eyes flutter open, but barely.

Chonha,” Mura exclaims quietly. 

“Who?” The King only manages to utter. 

Mura lowers the mask covering the bottom half of her face. “It is I, Mura.”

The King watches her with hooded eyes for a moment. “I must be dreaming again,” he says in a hoarse voice. 

“It is no dream, I promise.”

The King only smiles weakly before his conscious leaves him again. 

Chonha. Chonha.” Mura calls to no reply. However, she can hear him breathe, which serves as a relief. 

Through her tears, she musters a small smile and brings her husband’s hand lovingly to her cheeks; happy she got to exchange some words with him. 

The serenity is then interrupted when suddenly a siren from a horn sounds from a distance, alarming both Mura and Eunbo. It does not wake the King, however.

The two women exchange puzzled stares. 

Eunbo gets up to inquire. “What is happening?” She asks the attendants waiting in the corridor.

“I do not know, Jaga,” Samnom responds.

Just about then, a couple of guards storm inside the quarters. “The palace is under attack!” One of them announces. 

“Under attack?” Eunbo repeats, panicked.

Jaga, please stay inside,” One of the guards tells her. “Do not step out until further instructions.”

They close the King’s chamber door on Eunbo, locking her in. She and Mura exchange panicked glances.

Several moments come to pass without any further news. Eunbo nervously paces back and forth while Mura continues to stay beside the King.

Then they hear them— roars and screams of men, coming right from the courtyard. 

Eunbo gasps and Mura leaves the King’s side to stand beside the royal consort. Though they cannot see what is happening beyond the confines of the chamber, they can hear it all.

Protect the King!” A man shouts from the courtyard and the command is soon followed by the sound of several boots beating against the corridor floor just outside the King’s chamber. 

“Heavens have mercy,” Eunbo cries. 

Mura’s eyes survey their surrounding before they land on a sheathed sword hanging on a wall. She then directs her attention at Consort Yoo who is shaking like a leaf. “Jaga, come with me.” She takes the consort’s trembling hand and leads her to the decorative folding screen situated in the back of the room. She then gently pushes the other behind the screen. “Please, stay here. You mustn’t come out unless I tell you to.”

“What about yourself?”

“Do not worry about me. Please, stay put.”

Eunbo gulps worriedly before nodding obediently.

Mura glances at the King, who still remains unconscious. Just then terrified screams and shrills of the attendants fill the corridor outside, followed by clashing metals. Mura rushes toward the hanging sword and draws it from its scabbard. 

She then faces the closed door and points the blade forward as she takes her stance, prepared to take on any hostile attempts. The ruckus out in the corridor continues. She can hear the anguished wails of fallen men, only she can’t tell if those men are of the palace or of the enemy. 

Mura may presently appear brave, but the truth is that she is frightened. Immensely frightened. Out of her mind frightened. She may be a skilled swordsman, but this is completely out of her depths. She is no soldier and this will be no friendly spar on a training field. If she is forced to fight, she isn’t certain if she could hold her own against experienced combatants. But for the King— to protect him— she must try. Even if it proves to be the last thing she ever does. 

Suddenly the sound of clashing metals ceases and a final cry of pain can be heard from the corridor before things quiet down apart from some muted whimpers. 

Mura hears footsteps approaching before they come to a stop in front of the chamber door.

“Who’s there?” Mura barks. Her trembling hands betray the ferocity of her voice. 

She receives no answer. 

“Answer me!”

Silence.

The lack of a reply makes it clear to Mura that whoever it is on the other side of the door isn’t of the court. “Attempting harm upon the King is high treason,” she warns. “Turn away this instance!”

Mura is then startled when suddenly the double sliding doors split open. A lone man reveals himself. He holds a bloodied sword, dressed in an all-white military uniform with splatters of red painted across it.

The gruesome sight of the blood of those the man had slain isn’t what rattles Mura to the core. Rather, it is the unexpected sight of the man’s face— the familiarity of it— is what has her in utter disbelief. 

With wide questioning eyes, Mura addresses the man. “Jo… Jongin Gun-mama?”

 



╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

Translation:

1. Garima: headgear worn by female royal physicians/nurses

 

 

A/N: Dun dun dunnnn!!!