(il)

Peach Blossom Promises

A court maid hurries along the grounds of the servants’ quarters of the royal palace. The sky above her is sunless, but not for long. She runs through the darkness of the early morning hour on the artificially lit paths of the premises. 

Once she reaches her destination she locates a group of her fellow court maids organized in columns of two, facing a pair of senior court ladies. 

The frantic and breathless maid folds her hands together in front of her, speedily walks toward the two court ladies, and greets them with a bow.

“Buyon,” the court lady addresses the maid by her name.  “You are late,” she chides.

Buyon shows guilt with her expression. “Forgive me, Mamanim. I mismanaged the time.”

The court lady eyes her disapprovingly. “Considering this is your first day in this position, I will overlook it just this once. However, if you repeat such tardiness once more, you will receive lashes to your calves.”

Buyon half bows. “It won’t happen again. Thank you, Mamanim.”

“Go, join the others.”

Buyon then joins her fellow court maids.

“All right, now that everyone has been accounted for let us proceed to the King’s quarters,” The other court lady declares.

The two court ladies lead the maids to the grounds of the King’s quarters in the central palace. There, in the courtyard of the King's residence await the other attendants of the King.

“Is that the new girl?” Madam Hong, the chief lady-in-waiting to the King, asks the two arriving court ladies.

“Yes, Mamanim,” one of them answers. 

Madam Hong surveys the newcomer. “What is your name, girl?”

“Buyon, Mamanim.”

“Yunghee,” Madam Hong calls one of the girls from the assembly of court maids.

“Yes, Mamanim,” Yunghee replies. 

“Fetch the King’s washbasin and take the new girl with you.”

“Yes, Mamanim.” 

“And I observe a few stray hair strands on her head, help her fix it.” Madam Hong then turns her gaze at Buyon. “You are now a personal servant to the King of this nation, you must be meticulous with your appearance at all times, do you understand?”

“Y-yes, Mamanim. My apologies.” The wind had likely spoiled her hair when she was running earlier.

Yunghee approaches Buyon. “Come with me.”

Buyon then follows the other maid. 

“All right then, let me fix your hair first,” Yungee says as they enter a storage room. With the tips of her fingers, she flattens the few stray strands. “That should do.”

“Thank you,” Buyon expresses. 

“My pleasure, fellow cursed one.”

Buyon frowns. “Cursed one? Why do call me so?”

Yunghee scoffs. “To have the misfortune of serving the King personally is a curse, is it not?”

Buyon gasps before surveying their surrounding. “You cannot say such a thing regarding the King.”

“Why not? Because we are taught to revere him no matter what?” Yunghee scoffs. “Soon enough you shall find out that it is easier said than done.”

“Why do you say so?”

“Oh my, do not tell me you haven’t heard rumblings of the King’s vicious nature?”

Buyon tenses up. “I thought they were rumors. Mere exaggerations.”

Yunghee laughs derisively. “Oh, you poor, naive girl. You have no clue what awaits you, do you? At least you’ve been warned beforehand. Most of us weren't so fortunate.”

Suddenly, Buyon finds herself gripped with concern. May the heavens have mercy on her soul. 

Daybreak makes its appearance, ushering in the hour of the King’s awakening from his slumber. 

Buyon has been tasked with carrying the tray of washing items. She fights against her nerves to the best of her abilities as she stands by the door to the King’s bedchamber. As if being in the King’s presence for the very first time was not frightening enough on its own, she must now also be wary of the King’s apparent fiery temper. 

Buyon is then instructed to enter the King's chamber. As per protocol, she keeps her gaze lowered as she enters the chamber. Servants are forbidden from looking directly at the King unless they are required, or the King has specifically permitted them to do so. 

Buyon takes measured steps toward the King and once she is at an acceptable distance from his bed, where he sits, she kneels down and carefully places the tray on the floor. 

Yunghee kneels beside her as she is the one who will be washing the King. 

As the King is being washed, Buyon’s curiosity becomes too overwhelming and she surrenders to it. She lifts her gaze and steals a quick glance at her master before bringing it back down. 

The first thing she notes is how young the King appears. Yes, she is aware of his young age, but when one paints an image of the ruler of a nation, surely they imagine a more mature-looking countenance. But their King… he bears the face of a boy. A Kind and handsome one at that, the second thing Buyon notes. It is hard to believe that someone with such a kind countenance is capable of any kind of viciousness.

“Hong Sanggung.” Buyon hears the King call his chief lady-in-waiting; his voice deep and authoritative. 

“Yes, Chonha,” Madam Hong answers. 

“Who is she?”

Buyon tenses up. Surely, the King is referring to her. 

“She is a new courtier that will be serving Your Majesty henceforth.”

Buyon offers the King a bow. “B-buyon at your service, Ch-chonha.”

“Buyon, you say?” The King says.

“Y-yes, Chonha,” Buyon answers.

“Buyon, how dare you come before me with unkempt hair?” Baekhyun calmly, but maliciously, remarks at the one— merely a single— strand of hair that is sticking out of the maid’s head.

Panicked, Buyeon reaches for her head and proceeds to fix her hair. “My sincerest, apologies Chonha. Pray, forgive me.”

“Hong Sanggung,” Buyon hears the King call. “See to it that she receives five lashes to the calves for presenting herself improperly before me.”

“Y-yes, Chonha. Take her to the inspector court ladies’ office.” Buyon hears Madam Hong instruct someone. 

Buyon begins to snivel as another lady-in-waiting approaches her and instructs her to get up. While trying to get up, in her flustered state, Buyon accidentally knocks down the ewer of water on the tray, spilling its content. 

Terrified, Buyon immediately goes on her hands and knees, begging for forgiveness from the King. 

“Such incompetence!” The King bellows. “Hong Sanggung, how dare you assign such a bungling girl to my court?” He shouts at his chief lady-in-waiting. 

Now Madam Hong begins to fear for her own well-being. She drops to her hands and knees. “Forgive me, Chonha. I have failed you greatly. Please, punish me as you see fit.”

“Jang Sanggung,” Baekhyun addresses the lady-in-waiting standing by Buyon.

“Y-yes, Ch-chonha,” 

“Take the girl and see to it that she receives fifteen lashes for her incompetence. And I wish to never see her in my court again, understood?”

“Yes, Chonha,” the lady-in-waiting then lifts a weeping Buyon to her feet before escorting her out of the King’s chamber. 

“Hong Sanngung,” Baekhyun turns his attention to his chief lady-in-waiting who is crouching on the floor in submission. 

“You have served me since I had been a little boy and you have served me very well for all these years. Hence why I will disregard this mistake of yours under the condition that you will not repeat such a mistake in the future.”

“Yes, Chonha. Your generosity is boundless,” Madam Hong expresses. 

Baekhyun then shifts his gaze to a frightened-looking Yunghee. “You may continue.” 

“Y-yes, Ch-chonha.”

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

 

It has been nine months since the previous king’s passing and Baekhyun’s enthronement, and two months since his coronation. He has now fully transitioned into his new role as the monarch of Choson.

The maids dress Baekhyun in his gonryonpo, the king’s scarlet court robe that carries the king’s insignia— the gold five-taloned dragon. The robe is accessorized with a jade waistbelt, which a maid fastens around the King, while another maid places the ikseonggwan over his head. 

Outside at the steps of his residence, Baekhyun slips into his red velvet boots and walks into the frigid winter atmosphere followed by a train of attendants. As king, Baekhyun now boasts a larger retinue compared to his days as the crown prince. Along with additional eunuchs, court ladies, and court maids, his retinue now also includes several personal guards, dressed in head-to-toe red military uniforms, with the exception of Chanyeol. 

As the chief personal guard to the King and the commander of his security unit, Chanyeol stands out from the rest of his comrades in his black and red military garb, accessorized by a bandana of the same combination of colors tied around his head. 

Baekhyun begins his morning with lessons in the presence of the wisest and brightest scholars known to Choson. Even his status as the king does not exempt him from attending daily lessons as continued learning is an essential duty that a monarch must fulfill. He then offers his morning greetings to his grandmother, the Grand Queen Dowager, and his mother, the Queen Dowager. After which, he returns to his chambers to have his breakfast before heading to the assembly with the court officials. 

“His Majesty, the King, arrives!” 

Baekhyun enters the throne hall followed by the announcement. He struts down the hall solemnly as the officials on either side of the aisle bow to him. He then assumes his seat on the elevated wooden throne that is painted red and embellished with gold details.

The assembly then commences. 

“... and thus I regret to inform our men were forced to retreat,” the head of the ministry of war, Minister Nam, concludes his report. 

Baekhyun has been listening to the report of yet another defeated battle in the ongoing war with the province of Pyongan while messaging his forehead in frustration. He then slaps the surface of the table in front of him, the sound resonates sharply in the hall. “How is it that an entire nation with more trained soldiers and resources is failing against the rebellion of a single province, time and time again?” He slaps the table again. “Explain it to me!” He shouts. 

Minister Nam bows. “Apologies, Chonha. This humble servant of yours has failed you again. Please, punish this servant as you see fit.”

“Will inflicting punishment upon you put an end to this war?” Baekhyun asks.

Minister Nam has no reply. 

“Answer me!” Baekhyun barks.

“Uh… I…” Minister Nam struggles to form an appropriate response.

“How about you and your men reorganize and reform your failing strategies and bring me a victory instead of suggesting futile ideas of punishment when we both know it is the last thing you wish for yourself.”

“Y-yes, Chonha. My apologies.” Minister Nam bows again. 

Baekhyun sighs and leans back. “Anything else on today’s agenda?”

“May I speak, Your Majesty?” the head of the ministry of rites asks. 

“Please, do.”

“The seat of the queen consort presently remains empty,” the rites minister begins. “It is highly advisable that Your Majesty appoints a queen soon.”

“I believe there are more pressing matters that are of higher priority than the appointment of a queen. Besides, the queen’s court is in the capable hands of the Grand Queen Dowager and the Queen Dowager.”

“Indeed, the queen’s court is presently in capable hands,” the Right State Councillor speaks. “But for its future, a queen consort must be designated. Not to mention, a consort is required for the birth of an heir.”

“It is not a concern of mine, at present.” Baekhyun dismisses the councilor’s words.

“With all due respect, Your Majesty,” the Left State Councilor, Lord Park, speaks. “In order to strengthen your newly obtained regime, you must sire an heir. It is an essential duty of a king.”

Baekhyun regards Lord Park, his father-in-law, with guilt. Had Baekhyun not deposed the man’s daughter, she would’ve now been queen and this conversation wouldn’t have taken place.

“Please, consider our appeal and appoint a queen,” another official says. The rest of the officials then repeat it as they all bow, “please, consider our appeal, Your Majesty.”

Baekhyun is left massaging his forehead again in frustration.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Chonha, the Left State Councillor is here. He wishes for an audience with you,” Samnom informs his master upon entering the royal office where the King is attending to business. 

Baekhyun nods. “Send him in.”

Mere moments later, Lord Park enters the royal office and bows before the King. 

Chwasang1, please, have a seat.” Baakhyun gestures. 

Lord Park takes a seat on one of the floor cushions across from the King. 

“Why did you wish to see me?” Baekhyun asks. 

Lord Park presents the King with an envelope.

Baekhyun accepts it. “What is this?”

“My letter of resignation,” Lord Park informs. 

Baekhyun frowns. “What?”

“Please, accept it, Your Majesty.”

“Why this sudden desire to resign?”

“I have been contemplating it since the deposition of the Crown Princess. My daughter’s failure is an extension of my own failure. I no longer believe I am the right person to serve Your Majesty.”

Baekhyun swallows the guilt. “Chwasang, do you resent me for deposing the Crown Princess?”

“I do not dare, Your Majesty. You did what you believed to be in the best interest of your court. I can never resent you for it. Especially, when I am fully aware of my daughter’s lackings.”

“Do you mean it? Do you truly not resent me?”

“I assure Your Majesty, I harbor no discontent against you.”

“I am most pleased to hear that, however, I cannot accept your resignation.” Baekhyun then proceeds to rip the envelope.

Lord Park watches in surprise. 

“You have served my father with utmost loyalty. He admired you greatly and that admiration has been passed down to me. I need you, Chwasang. So, please, continue to serve me as you have done for my father. This my earnest plea to you.”

Lord Park surrenders and offers a short bow. “As you wish, Chonha.”

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

 

After days of heavy snow, Choson, at last, has been granted some respite. Though the weather remains crisp today, Baekhyun deems it to be agreeable enough for practicing his swordsmanship. He enters the training field dressed in his military garb. He reaches for a wooden practice sword. “Spar with me, Chanyeol.” He tells his chief personal guard. 

“Yes, Chonha.” Chanyeol picks up a practice sword for himself. 

“Do not go easy on me. I would like you to give me your best,” Baekhyun tells the other. 

“As you wish, Chonha.”

The two spar back and forth for a while. Unfortunately for Baekhyun, it ends with his loss, as he loses his balance and stumbles backward before falling on his behind.

Chonha!” Chanyeol cries, concerned.

“I’m all right,” Baekhyun assures him. 

Then, suddenly, he hears it. A burst of familiar laughter, echoing around the field. The laughter he has not heard in months. That he missed so dearly. Baekhyun turns his gaze to the side and there he sees her. The deposed Crown Princess, his estranged wife, dressed in the crown princess’ court attire, laughing at Baekhyun.

Choha, is this the best you can do?” She tuts followed by another mocking laugh.

Baekhyun watches her, stunned. 

Chonha.”

Upon hearing Chanyeol's voice, Baekhyun moves his gaze toward the other man. 

Chanyeol offers the King his hand as he looks at him worriedly. “Are you certain you’re all right?”

Baekhyun looks to his side again and finds no sign of his wife. “Yes,” he says, not quite confident. He then takes his personal guard’s hand and stands back up on his feet. “I think this is enough for today.” With that, he proceeds to leave the field, confounded by what he just experienced.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Baekhyun sees Mura again. And again. And again. They have been apart for seven months now and these seven months were spent in sheer agony. But this… what he’s been experiencing lately is driving Baekhyun to the precipice of madness. Baekhyun sees Mura during his lessons; during his meals; when he takes his strolls. He sees her when he’s reading in the library where she encourages him to put down the book and sneak away with her somewhere. At night when Baekhyun is nearly falling asleep he sees her silhouette in the dimly lit room and hears her singing to him. On a particularly snowy day, as Baekhyun walks to his office, he sees her running around in the wet snow, her melodious laughter echoes, while her attendant chases after her with an umbrella. 

Baekhyun isn’t certain if they are memories, wishful thinking, or downright hallucinations, but he sees Mura all the time and everywhere— taunting him; haunting him. Pushing him down the abyss of longing and anguish while she, herself, always appears before him in high spirits with her beguiling smile and infectious laugh. 

It is too much. Baekhyun can no longer bear it. He wishes for Mura to stop tormenting him, but she is relentless. Baekhyun finds no peace as he becomes a slave to what can only be described as lifelike visions of his lost love. He is trapped by his own mind, desperately seeking freedom.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Baekhyun enters the Grand Queen Dowager’s chamber where she and the Queen Dowager have been awaiting his arrival. He has been summoned by the two elders to have an important discussion and he has an inkling as to what that discussion is regarding.

Chusang, appoint a queen,” the Grand Queen Dowager tells him bluntly. “There is no reason for a delay. A king needs a queen.”

“I agree with Dewangdaebi2-mama, Chusang,” the Queen Dowager speaks. “Please, heed our advice and bring in a queen. The throne needs an heir.”

“Producing an heir is not contingent upon appointing a queen,” Baekhyun states flatly. 

“What are you implying?” The Grand Queen Dowager asks. 

“I will not appoint a Queen at this moment. But given that it is a chief duty of mine to secure an heir I will carry it out as expected of me. You have my permission to bring in a royal concubine.”

“But…” the Queen Dowager begins to speak

 “I will not allow any further discourse regarding this matter.” Baekhyun cuts in. “Please, do your part in selecting a concubine and I shall do mine to provide the court with an heir.” He then stands up. “If there is nothing more, I will take my leave.” He bows to the elders before striding out of the chamber.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Baekhyun sits at his floor desk in his bedchamber, performing calligraphy before bedtime, when memories of the past disrupt his focus. 

He sets his brush down and opens one of the drawers of his desk. He reaches inside the drawer and retrieves a small square wooden box and places it on the desk. He unfastens its hook and lifts its cover, revealing a folded silk handkerchief inside with embroidered peaches— the birthday gift given to him by the then Crown Princess. 

Baekhyun delicately brushes the tips of his fingers over the embroidered peaches, beautifully sewn by his wife.

Choha.”

Baekhyun hears the familiar voice. He lifts his gaze and sees her— the woman who has been taunting him mercilessly. 

Mura, or rather, a figmental form of her, bites her tongue. “Goodness me, I keep forgetting you’re the king now. I should be addressing you as chonha, should I not? Pray, forgive me…Chonha.” She giggles. 

Baekhyun squeezes his eyes shut. “Begone.” 

Figmental Mura chuckles. “Do you truly wish for me to be gone?

“I do!” Baekhyun says firmly. 

“I do not think so. If you did then I would not be appearing before you thusly, to begin with. After all, I am the figment of your imagination.”

“You are my tormentor.”

Figmental Mura gives a mirthful laugh. “You have no one but yourself to blame, Chonha.”

Baekhyun has no response.

“Very well then, I will go. But only you have the ability to banish me from your thoughts. If you do so, I will go and never return.”

Baekhyun keeps his eyes shut and tries to will himself to cast away all thoughts of his wife.

“You cannot do it, can you?” Figmental Mura states.

Baekhyun slowly opens his eyelids in defeat; his eyes wet.

“You miss me, do you not?” Figmental Mura asks.

“Like a pair of stifling lungs misses the air,” Baekhyun admits with a trembling voice. 

Figmental Mura tuts. “Then why did you send me away?”

“I... I did it to free you of the burden you never asked for. The burden of the royal court. The burden..." He chokes. "The burden of my love. I did it for you… for your happiness.”

“And you? Are you happy?”

“Me?” Baekhyun’s lips quiver and tears run in rivulets down his cheeks. “I’m afraid, without you, I am whelmed with insuperable misery. I have not known even a moment’s happiness since you left. Only suffering of the most acute kind and I’m unable to escape it. I so desperately wish to escape this agony.”

Figmental Mura tuts in pity. “Alas, what to do, Chonha?”

Baekhyun picks up the handkerchief from the box. “What to do?” He whispers. Even more tears pour out as he brings the handkerchief to his chest. “What to do? What do I do? What must I do?”

He continues to weep pitifully, consumed by dreadful loneliness. Even figmental Mura does not stay to comfort him.

 

 

 ╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

Translations:

1. Chwasang: a term used to address the left state councilor.

2. Dewangdaebi: grand queen dowager,

 

 

A/N: Hi, welcome to the first chapter of Peach Blossom Promises! I hope my readers from UTPT have agreed to join me on this one!

For some reason, I really struggled with this chapter. That's why it took me some time to post it. I'm not really satisfied with how I wrote this, but this is the best I could muster. It happens every now and then. Sometimes you flow and sometimes you don't, no matter how hard you try. I just hope it wasn't too meh or awful. 

Anyway, are you prepared for some angst? Hehe.