(o)

Peach Blossom Promises

 

Eunbo stands in the Grand Pavillion, the largest pavilion structured over a large artificial lake in the heart of the royal palace. She gazes at the most scenic view the pavilion has to offer on a spring day— the silver surface of the lake underneath stretching toward a shoreline where a cluster of trees is barricaded by a wall, beyond which billowy clouds hover above mountain peaks. Once Eunbo has had her fill admiring the view, she egresses the pavilion with her retinue in tow. Her path then crosses with that of the King’s chief personal guard, who is by himself.

Upon seeing the royal consort, Chanyeol stops in his path and greets her with a bow. “Jaga1.”

“Park Naegeumwi2,” Eunbo returns. 

Chanyeol keeps his eyes hanging low and waits for her to pass him by but the royal consort stays rooted before him. 

“May I ask how the King is doing?” Eunbo asks. “I have not seen him since the luncheon from weeks ago.”

“His Majesty’s schedule has been quite hectic. If Your Excellency wishes for an audience with him, I can relay it to him.”

“Oh no, that won’t be necessary. I am well aware of his busy schedule. I simply wish to know if he is in good health.”

“Worry not, Jaga. His Majesty is well and healthy.”

“And you? Are you well?”

Taken aback by the inquiry, Chanyeol lifts his eyes only to find the woman before him staring at him expectantly with those remarkable large eyes that had managed to capture his fancy when he had first encountered them. Those eyes still stir something in him. “Y-yes, quite well, Jaga. Thank you for your concern.” He returns his gaze to the ground. 

Eunbo nods. She lingers as total silence hangs above them. “Very well then. Give His Majesty my regards.”

“I will.” Chanyeol bows as Consort Yoo and her retinue pass him by; leaving the intoxicating aroma of clove and magnolia in her wake for Chanyeol to breathe in.

While the chief personal guard savors the remains of Consort Yoo’s scent, the said woman herself releases a deep exhale as she walks away, coaxing her racing heart to calm down. 

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Jongin takes a sip of some mint-leaf tea before setting the teacup down on the table. He then sets his eyes on his host. “Park-sshi, were you aware it is the season of azaleas?” He has come to the Park home for one of his usual visits to the deposed Crown Princess.

“I was not,” Mura answers.

“There is a mountain out west, not too far, where a large field of wild azaleas grows. I’ve heard it is quite the sight. I intend on viewing it with Gunbuin.” Jongin says referring to his wife.

Mura smiles. “That sounds lovely.”

“Will you join us?”

Mura is surprised by the invitation. “Oh, I appreciate the offer, but I do not wish to impose.”

Gunbuin has specifically asked me to invite you.”

“Has she, truly?”

Jongin nods. “She would be saddened if you were to decline.”

“Well, I suppose I mustn’t decline then. I accept her invitation.”

The two then share a gentle smile. 

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Hayeon decides to pay a visit to the King. Thus far, she has only gotten to see him in passing and she’s been itching for some quality time with him. She learns that the King is in the library, thus she makes her way in that direction with her retinue following behind. As she approaches the library, she sees a court maid also nearing the premises carrying a tray covered with silk cloth. 

“What is that?” Hayeon asks the said maid. 

“Refreshments for His Majesty, Jaga,” the maid supplies. 

“Hand it to me. I shall take it to him.”

The maid obeys and surrenders the tray to the royal consort, who then enters the library hallway leading to the library chamber.

“Chonha, Nam Sukui-jaga seeks your permission to enter. She comes bearing refreshments.”

Baekhyun hears one of his eunuchs announce from behind the closed door to the library. He heaves a deep sigh. “Send her in.”

Hayeon enters the library sporting an enthusiastic smile. “Chonha.” She bows to her husband before carefully setting the tray on the table where he sits. 

“You need not have troubled yourself with it. A maid could have brought it in.” Baekhyun’s tone is devoid of warmth.

“It was no trouble at all. I wished to see Your Majesty.”

“Well, thank you. You are free to leave.”

“If I may, I would like to sit with Your Majesty for a little while.”

“I’m afraid I’m rather preoccupied with a book.”

“I won’t be a bother, I swear. You may continue with your reading. I merely wish to sit here. Any time spent with you, even in silence, is enough for me.”

Baekhyun is overcome with the urge to roll his eyes. “Fine. Suit yourself.”

Hayeon grins and sits down on the nearest chair to King. She removes the cloth from the tray, revealing an array of morsels, and a bowl of rice punch. “Please, help yourself,” she tells the King. 

Baekhyun picks up a morsel and pushes it in his mouth as he reads his book. However, he cannot read it in peace as he can sense Consort Nam’s gaze stuck on him like glue. 

“Perhaps it is best if you simply leave. I’m afraid I find your presence quite distracting.”

“If you find it hard to concentrate on the book in my presence, perhaps it is a sign that you should put it down and have a chat with me,” Hayeon suggests.

“I rather not.”

“Please, Chonha, spare me some time. I have missed you.”

“Nam Sukui, leave while I’m being civil.”

Hayeon's expression turns fretful. “Why must you be so cruel, Chonha?”

Baekhyun’s jaw tightens. “Sukui, you are testing my patience.”

Hayeon displays a determined expression. “I refuse to leave unless you tell me what I have done to garner such vitriol from you.”

Baekhyun draws in every bit of patience he can muster from within. “You have done nothing wrong. The fault lies solely within me. There, you have your answer. Now, begone!”

“How can you not have any compassion for my devotion? You know… you have always known of my love for you. How can you treat it so carelessly without regard?”

“I see that you fail to understand that I never asked for your love or devotion. It is nothing but a pestering burden on me. If you cannot accept the truth that I will never return the feelings you harbor for me then I advise you to cease those feelings completely.”

“I cannot do that,” Hayeon says resolvedly. 

“Then prepare to suffer because I assure you, you will never have my affection.”

Hayeon’s eyes gleam with tears, yet they appear determined as ever. “We shall see about that.” She stands up and bows to the other before gracefully exiting the room.

Baekhyun pinches the bridge of his nose, feeling mentally drained. Perhaps it had been a grave mistake to appoint Nam Hayeon as a royal consort.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

 

It is a beautiful spring morning and Mura waits for Prince Jongin and his wife to arrive at a place on the edge of town as instructed by the Prince. 

“The Prince seems to be running a bit late,” Janshil, who has joined her mistress as a chaperone, remarks.

“I’m sure he’ll arrive soon.”

Just as Mura utters those words, she sees the tall figure of the Prince gradually approaching. Upon catching sight Mura, the Prince picks up his pace.

“Park-sshi,” Jongin greets. He and Lady Park exchange bows. “Forgive me for my tardiness.”

“Oh, it is no matter.” Mura’s eyes then search for the Princess Consort. “Although I do not see Gunbuin-jaga?” 

“Unfortunately, Soobin-ah was suddenly taken ill late at night,” Jongin speaks of his son. “We had to bring in a physician for an examination. This was the reason for my belatedness.”

“Oh no!” Mura cries. “Is little Soobin quite all right? What are you doing here? Shouldn’t you be with him?”

“Do fret, Park-sshi. Soobin-ah’s condition has improved considerably, thus Gunbuin and I agreed to keep today’s appointment, for it would have been a disservice to you to call it off at the last moment when it was not needed. Though Gunbuin thought it best to stay with Soobin for good measure. Hence I’ve come alone.”

“No, it would not have been a disservice, at all. Of course, Soobin’s health takes priority. We really do not need to proceed with today’s appointment. Please, Gun-mama, you must return home right away.”

“Park-shhi, I assure you Soobin-ah is in good hands with my wife. And as I’ve mentioned, he’s is much improved and my presence at home would hardly make a difference. Besides, today’s weather is very much agreeable and we have already traveled thus far out of the town, it’ll be regrettable if we were to abandon today’s planned excursion.”

Mura contemplates. “Are you quite certain?”

“Positively. Unless Your Ladyship finds soley my company disagreeable.”

“Not at all.”

Jongin smiles. “Then let us proceed.”

“Very well, if Your Highness insists.”

Mura and Jongin begin to walk side by side, with Janshil following behind. 

“I’ve heard the hike to the mountaintop is quite steep in certain parts. I hope you are prepared for a bit of challenge,” Jongin states.

“If there is one thing Your Highness must know about me it is that I never shy away from a challenge,” Mura boasts.

Jongin chuckles. “Just as I presumed. You have always appeared to be an adventurous soul. I have always admired that about you. If I were courting you, I would have found that aspect of your nature to be most appealing.”

Mura finds the Prince’s last statement to be rather odd. She chuckles, nonetheless. “Uh… I appreciate the compliment. I suppose Gunbuin-jaga possesses quite the adventurous disposition if that is what you admire in women.”

“She does not, I’m afraid.” 

“No?”

“My wife is a good homemaker, but adventurous she is not. Do not get me wrong, she has many agreeable qualities, but, to put it mildly, she can be such a bore.”

“I’m sure that isn’t true. Gunbuin-jaga has always seemed perfectly lovely to me.”

“Lovely and boring are not exclusive to each other.”

“Perhaps she simply needs a bit of encouragement in drawing out her adventurous side. You should try to do so. I believe we all crave a bit of adventure every now and then. I’m sure Gunbuin-jaga feels no differently.”

One corner of Jongin’s lips curls up in a lopsided smile. “If you say so.”

The three soon begin their hike up to the mountaintop. During a particularly strenuous climb Jongin, from above, offers Mura a hand of assistance, which she takes. 

The palm of Lady Park’s hand feels too calloused for a woman of her status. Jongin then remembers that the said woman dabbles in swordsmanship, that must be why. Not that he minds. He is elated to receive physical contact of any form from the other. Jongin wishes he could keep her hand within his grip for the remainder of the time, but much to his disappointment, Lady Park withdraws her hand after taking the climb and offers it to her lady’s maid in order to assist her. Jongin instantly misses the feeling of the lady’s skin. But, of course, they couldn’t possibly continue to hold hands like two lovers. No matter how much Jongin wishes they could. 

They eventually reach high enough to catch the stunning view of an enormous bed of lush wild azaleas adorning an adjacent mountain slope.

Mura and Jongin exchange thrilled glances before they continue toward the patch.

“Wah,” Mura utters in amazement upon reaching the flowerbed. 

“It is breathtaking, is it not?” Jongin says, admiring the gorgeous violet blossoms.

“I have seen nothing quite like it.”

“This is well worth the hike.”

“Indeed.” Mura glances at the Prince. “I should thank you for bringing me here.”

“Believe me, the pleasure is all mine.” 

Manim, shall we take a walk through the field?” Janshil suggests excitedly. Equally awed by the beauty of the flowers.

Mura nods. “Yes, we must.” She takes her lady’s maid’s hand and takes flight toward the field of flowers. The sound of their laughter spreads across the mountain. Before they enter the bed of flowers though, Mura stops and turns to catch a glimpse of the Prince, who is rooted in their original place. “Mama, please, come join us!”

Jongin complies. As they leisurely stroll in the midst of the flowers, Jongin, who closely walks behind Lady Park, is free to admire her form as he wishes. Though he would’ve much preferred to admire her front instead of her back. Then almost as if Lady Park had read his mind, she rotates her head to spare him a look. She then gifts Jongin with the loveliest grin that displays genuine pleasure as he has never witnessed before, and it makes his heart flutter and his belly churn. He did it. He was the one who made her smile like so. A smile brighter than even the sunlight that radiates around her like a nimbus. This breathtaking picture of Lady Park— walking amongst the lilac-tainted azaleas with the daylight reflecting upon her as she smiles at him — will forever be etched into Jongin’s mind as one of the most cherished memories. 

Jongin’s lips part, as he returns Lady Park’s grin with a dashing smile of his own.  

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

Translations:

1. Jaga: your/her excellency.

2. Naegeumwi: royal guard.

 

 

A/N: So, Jongin, you say your wife couldn't make it because your son got sick last minute? Sure, I totally 'believe" you.