(sibyuk)

Peach Blossom Promises

Dawn emerges and servants line the hallway to the King’s bedchamber, equipped with morning essentials.

Chonha,” calls Madam Hong, the King’s chief lady-in-waiting. “Have you aroused?” She receives no response. The court lady repeats herself and is met with another silence. “Chonha, daybreak is upon us, pray, waken.” Silence continues. Madam Hong’s gaze flits to Madam Choi, who stands beside her. They share a glance. “Chungjon-mama,” Madam Hong tries with the Queen this time but in futile.

Madam Choi takes a turn. “Chungjon-mama, it is I, Choi Sanggung. Pray, waken.” 

Silence.

Madam Choi tries once more. “Chungjo—”

“A moment,” the Queen’s voice cuts in. 

Finally, a response. “Yes, Mama,” The two ladies-in-waiting reply in unison.

Inside the bedchamber, where dawn casts its silver light, Mura sits over Baekhyun’s sleeping body and regards his countenance, silently admiring his features as much as the sparse light would allow her. He appears to be sleeping dreamslessly and serenely. Free from care or worries as if he was not shouldering the burdens of an entire nation. She smiles at the endearing pout on his lips that makes him appear more like a slumbering child than an intimidating ruler.

Chonha,” Mura calls gently. “Chonha.” She caresses her husband’s cheek. “You must waken.”

Following a few more tender calls, Baekhyun finally stirs awake. He opens his eyes listlessly, at war with overwhelming sleep and Mura is taken with guilt for being responsible for his shorter-than-usual sleep period.

However, Baekhyun’s weary eyes manage to glint at the sight of his ravishing queen. He gently squeezes her hand that rests on his cheek, basking under her touch, and smiles at her languidly. She returns the smile. He then gently pushes her to lie on her back as he shifts on top of her, their gazes on each other unwavering. 

Baekhyun mentally laments how the dark silver atmosphere does not allow him the opportunity to savor the warm chestnut eyes below him. He sighs with pleasure when Mura skims the pale smoothness of his cheek with the back of her fingers. He then slowly lowers his head to capture her lips in a tender kiss. 

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Later, in her chamber Mura indulges in the memories of the previous night, touching her lips. However, she can’t bask in those memories much longer, as Janshil barges into the room. 

The maid hastily takes a seat across from her mistress. “Had you done it, at last?”

Mura regards the maid with confusion. “Done what?”

Janshil tsks. “Had you and His Majesty finally consummated?”

Yah, Janshilah!” Mura chides. 

Aish, come now, Mama. I have been waiting for the opportunity to ask you. Quickly, tell me, before Choi Sanggung Mamanim returns.”

“Wouldn’t you like to know?”

“Oh, stop being coy with me, Mama. Quickly, tell me.”

“Should I?” Mura teases further. 

Janshil nods eagerly.

Mura smiles sheepishly. “Well, we have indeed…”

Janshil’s eyes and mouth both grow wide.

“Not consummated!” Mura follows it with a giggle. 

The maid instantly deflates. “Nooo.”

"Yes!"

Janshil’s disappointment is fathomless. “Aish, you have professed your love for each other and you are even now his queen, what are you waiting for?”

Ya, our consummation is of no business to you.”

Janshil sighs. “You two make for such a boring, passionless pair. Then what did you two do the entire night in privacy?”

Mura shrugs. “We talked… and kissed.”

Janshil gasps. “Truly?”

Mura nods excitedly. 

Janshil claps with a squeal. “Was it romantic?”

Mura nods bashfully.

“Is His Majesty a good kisser?”

“Let’s just say I enjoyed it… very much.”

Janshil coos.

“We kissed so much that my lips were thoroughly swollen by the end.” Mura giggles into her palm.

Janshil squeals once more. “At least you have now kissed. I’m hopeful the consummation would soon follow.”

Mura reddens. “Ya, stop mentioning the consummation.”

“If you are nervous about it, I will lend you my novel. It ought to teach you a thing or two.”

Mura slaps the maid with a cushion. “Get out!”

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Clear blue sky, the sun beams in its bright yellow glory. Eunbo deems the day perfect for attempting a painting. 

Hunched over a large piece of paper laid upon some grass that cushions her knees, bit by bit with each brush , she works toward capturing the serene beauty before her of the palace’s grand lake, the grand pavilion that floats atop it, and the landscape in the background that it accompanies.

“You paint?”

Eunbo turns to the man’s voice that had just spoken. “Park Naeguemwi?”

Chanyeol offers his bow. “Forgive me for the interruption. I was merely passing by and noticed you were working intently with a brush. I could not abate my curiosity,” he says sheepishly.

Eunbo gives a polite smile. 

“May I dare to have a glimpse of the piece?” Chanyeol asks. 

“Uhh, yes, you may.” Eunbo rises to her feet as the King’s guard draws near to have a look at the painting. “It is yet unfinished.”

“Your Ladyship is a talented painter,” Chanyeol remarks. “Exceptionally so, I must say.”

Eunbo humbly chuckles. “There is much room for improvement. It is merely a hobby.”

“You excel in it. Do not doubt yourself.”

Eunbo smiles meekly. “Thank you.” She then watches the guard studying her work. “Do you have a hobby you particularly enjoy?”

Chanyeol shakes his head. “I have no time for hobbies, I’m afraid. Never had. I dedicated my youth to training hard and now I dedicate my time to my duty.”

“There must be something you enjoy at leisure.”

“Sleep.” 

They share a light chuckle. 

“I must say, I am curious about the finished work,” Chanyeol says referring to the painting.

“I can show you once I have finished if you wish,” Eunbo says. 

“You mustn’t feel obligated.”

“It is no trouble, at all. It is the least I can do for an admirer of my talent,” Eunbo says with a playful smile.

Chanyeol breathes a laugh. “Very well, I shall look forward to it.”

Later, in the evening, Eunbo sits in her chamber thinking of the guard with a smile that can hardly be contained. Taken with a sudden burst of inspiration, she orders one of her maids to grind some ink, and then in private, she begins to draw a man in uniform in the likeness of a certain guard from her memory.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

 

It is well past sundown and Mura learns the King continues to toil away in his office. Considering how little rest he received the night before, she presumes he must be fatigued. She bids the dispensary to concoct a reinvigorating tonic, which she later brings with her to the royal office.

Mura is aware she shouldn’t disturb the King during his duties, but she will not linger for long. She will merely watch him drink the tonic and then she will leave. 

When she enters the office, she is bewildered to find the King’s desk unoccupied. She inspects the room and it doesn’t take long for her to locate her husband. 

Behind some shelves, on a nook by a window, Baekhyun can be seen seated reclined against the wall. Mura goes to him. “Cho—” she finds him with his eyes closed, seemingly sleeping. 

She had been right, he was indeed quite tired. Mura mentally chides herself for being the reason for his exhaustion. 

Just as this morning, the King slumbers with pouted lips, charming Mura yet again. She sets aside the tray of tonic and takes a seat beside her sleeping husband.

She watches him in silence, contemplating whether she should wake him or allow him to continue to sleep. Her gaze hones in on his pouted lips. She is reminded of how those lips had touched hers many times the previous night… and this morning. Mura feels her cheeks warming, and the temptation to caress those lips again grows within her like basic instinct.

She closes the gap between them and plants a quick and simple peck. Baekhyun remains in sleeping stillness. It seems one wasn’t enough, so Mura sets out to steal a second one. This time she keeps her lips pressed against his for a breath longer before withdrawing. When she leans back she catches Baekhyun’s lips extending into a thin smile. 

“You are awake?” Mura says. 

Baekhyun’s smile widens in confirmation, but his eyes remain closed. “Your presence awoke me.”

“Then why had you pretended?”

Baekhyun shrugs. “Merely in jest and I am glad I had. How else would have I known my queen was such a kiss thief?”

Mura pouts. “You tease me, Chonha.”

Baekhyun finally opens his eyes. “You may steal as many kisses from me as your heart desires.”

Mura pinkens. She then clears . “My apologies for disturbing your sleep.”

“It is no matter. I was merely taking a brief reprieve, I ought to return to my duties soon.”

Baekhyun tries to pull Mura into an embrace, but she resists. 

“I brought you a tonic to help refresh you.”

“I already feel refreshed with you here.” He tries again to pull her in, but again, Mura resists.

She frees herself from Baekhyun’s hold and fetches the bowl of tonic. “Please, drink this, Chonha,” she urges. 

Baekhyun sighs. “Your wish is my command, my queen.” He takes the bowl from Mura and obediently drinks its contents before returning the empty bowl to her. “Happy?”

Mura nods, pleased.

“Now will you come to me?” Baekhyun asks.

“You have duties to return to,” Mura reminds him. 

“Fret not, I have time to spare. Besides, it’ll take some time for the effects of the tonic to settle. Until then, pray, stay with me or I shall be woebegone, my dearest.”

Endeared, Mura gives in to her husband’s request. She places the bowl back on the tray before immersing herself in her needy husband’s embrace, equally as needy herself. 

Baekhyun hums in contentment as Mura buries her face in his chest. “Is this what they mean by marital bliss?” He says.

Mura breathes a soft laugh. “Perhaps.”

“Did you have a pleasant day?”

“It was fine.”

“Have you thought of me?”

Mura nods against Baekhyun’s chest.

“As have I of you.”

“You have been quite the busy bee today.”

“Yes, but not entirely productive, I’m afraid. Thoughts of last night had kept me distracted.”

Warmth embraces Mura’s cheeks once more. If merely kissing makes her blush like so, how will she fare when they consummate? The warmth in her cheeks intensifies at the thought.

“Look at me, buin. Allow your husband to see your face,” Baekhyun gently demands. 

Mura complies by peering up at him. 

Baekhyun bathes in the pools of honey that gaze back at him, something he hadn’t been able to do this morning. 

Mura basks in his loving gaze. “What do you see, Chonha?”

Baekhyun hums. “I see my queen; my friend; my wife… my lover.” 

Mura smiles tenderly. “I adore being yours.”

Mine. Baekhyun grins as he thinks.

“You must know that I am wildly fond of that smile of yours,” Mura says. 

Baekhyun’s grin widens. “Is that so?”

“It is most endearing. I adore it.”

“I feel the same about yours. Your smile lights up any space you occupy.”

“You know, the Queen Dowager had praised my smile during the selection proceedings.”

“Just as yours, my mother recognizes profound beauty when she sees it.”

Mura giggles at the remark. “She had mentioned that my smile would complement yours perfectly.”

“Had she now?”

Mura nods. “Though she had lamented that you seldom smiled. That is no longer true, dare I say. You smile quite often these days.”

“You must know that the reason for it is you.”

“I am glad. You have a unique smile that deserves to be flaunted. The corners of your bottom lips form these angles giving your smile a box like appearance. It is most charming.”

Baekhyun grins and his mouth takes the box-like shape just as Mura claimed. “I shall never stop smiling if it pleases you.”

Mura loses herself in eyes as dark as the night sky yet they emanate the warmth of the sun. 

“I have a question for you,” she says. 

“Ask away, my darling.”

“When had you known that you loved me?”

Baekhyun ponders. “Well, I had fallen for your beauty the moment I laid my eyes on you for the first time. But I believe it had been our first winter together when I had realized I had also fallen for the beauty within.”

Uwah, and you had kept it in you for all those months that followed. I admire your patience, Chonha.”

“I surprised myself. I have not a clue how I managed if I’m being frank.”

Mura reflects to herself.

“What are you thinking of?”

“I’m thinking back to all the flirtatious teasing remarks that you would make that puzzled me to no end.” Mura then playfully slaps Baekhyun’s chest. “It must have been quite amusing for you.”

Baekhyun chuckles. “I will not deny it.” 

Mura puffs her cheeks. 

“What of you? When had you known?” Baekhyun asks her. 

“I’m afraid the revelation came to me much later than yours. Perhaps too belatedly. Forgive me, Chonha, it had taken me so long.”

Baekhyun shakes his head. “You need not apologize for it. Even if you hadn’t returned my affection you need not have apologized just the same. Though I am over the moon that you have returned my love.” He lovingly his queen’s head. “In your absence, it was as though I had been living as a lost wanderer. To have your love, I am lost no more. So, thank you, buin, for being my refuge. Thank you for loving me.”

With the earnestness in his voice and the sincerity in his eyes, how could Mura not fall even deeper in love? 

Baekhyun bows his head so he can reach her lips with his, marrying them in a fervent kiss; falling deeper and deeper, together. 

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

 

A/N: I hope you guys enjoyed the fluff! :) My heart... <3

Anyway, sooooo, I decided to take a hiatus from this story. I'm experiencing burnout and I think a break is necessary for me to regain my motivation. Stuff like this can happen. I'm really sorry guys, but I hope you understand. Don't worry, I WILL return, refreshed and ready. I'll probably see you all in a couple of months with a new update! Until then, be well <3 <3 <3