(chil)

Peach Blossom Promises

A/N: Please, excuse any mistakes.

 

Baekhyun lays in bed with his eyes open, having awoken from sleep mere moments ago. Any moment now he will be greeted with a servant’s morning call.

“Chonha, have you aroused?”

Baekhyun hears his chief lady-in-waiting ask from the other side of his chamber door. “Yes.”

“May we enter?”

“You may.”

The servants enter his chamber carrying a chamber pot, washbasin, and other necessities required for the King's morning routine.

Baekhyun’s chief lady-in-waiting bows before the King. “Chonha, we, your humble servants, wish to congratulate you on your birthday. Congratulations, Chonha.”

“Congratulations, Chonha,” the other servants present in the chamber wish the King in unison as they all perform the ceremonial deep bow.

Today is Baekhyun’s birthday, however, the man does not find himself in joyous spirits. As far as he is concerned, it is just another day in his stale, monotonous life.

After getting ready for the day, Baekhyun steps on his porch, and as expected he finds all those who serve his court standing in organized columns in his courtyard.

Chonha, our sincerest birthday congratulations to you,” the King’s chief eunuch, who stands amongst the other servants in the courtyard, declares.

“Congratulations, Chonha,” the other servants follow in a chorus before they offer their ceremonial deep bows.

Baekhyun regards them with indifference. 

“Congratulations! Happiest birthday to you!” 

The deposed Crown Princess’ voice suddenly rings in Baekhyun’s ears following the sight of her standing in his courtyard presenting him with a bright grin.

Yet another intrusive memory of his estranged wife. This one in particular from Baekhyun’s birthday the year prior. The first and, unfortunately, the last one they shared together. 

A small bit of sad emotion manages to cross Baekhyun’s indifferent expression before it hardens again and he steps down from his porch to begin his day. 

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Mura and Janshil scale the steps of the capital’s Buddhist temple that sits atop a hill. Upon reaching the steps of the shrine hall, Mura slips out of her shoes and enters the hall alone, while Janshil stays behind by the steps.

Upon entering the shrine, Mura brings her hands together in a praying position and offers a standing half-bow to the altar before approaching it. The altar is constructed of deep red lacquered pine wood and consists of three large gold statues of Buddha. There, Mura burns an incense stick before stepping away in reverse to the back of the hall, where, while still facing the altar, she kneels and lowers herself in prostration. She then turns her palms toward the ceiling and raises them before turning them downward again and lowering them. She repeats the prostration and palm gesture twice more and upon offering her third prostration, she sits upright and brings her hands together in a prayer. She then does what she came here to do— pray for the King’s health and longevity to honor his birthday.

After performing her prayers, Mura and Janshil drop in at the monastery, where Mura requests a meeting with Princess Hwa-In, who she knows has been residing at the monastery as a nun apprentice.

Mura initially fails to recognize the princess, for the latter appears nothing like she remembers. Mura, who had been accustomed to seeing the princess in fashionably made royal court attire with the finest silk, now sees the other donning a plain dull grey long robe made from cotton with matching grey loose slacks. Her once long coal-black tresses which used to be styled into a braid and embellished with pretty gemstone pins, have been reduced to mere tiny bristles.

Hwa-In greets Mura by placing her hands together and bowing.

Gongju-mama,” Mura returns the bow. “I hope I’m not being a bother. I came to visit the shrine and did not wish to miss the opportunity to see you.”

“You are not a bother at all, Park-sshi. I was pleasantly surprised when I was told a lady named Park Mura wished to see me. I am quite happy to see you.”

The two converse and catch up. Mura tells the princess how surprised she had been to hear that the other had joined the monastery. Hwa-In shares her experience of not only having to adjust to a life outside of the royal palace but also to life in the monastery. 

“May I…” the princess visibly hesitates. “May I ask how Jongdae doryeonnim is doing?” She inquires, not quite meeting Mura’s eyes.

“He is well. He is managing decently with his new life as you are. You mustn’t worry for his well-being if it is something that troubles you.”

“How can I not worry? After all, I am the cause of his current misfortunes.” 

“No, you are not, Mama. Jongdae’s misfortunes are the result of his own reckless deeds. Pray, do not bear the burden of his circumstances on your shoulders.”

“I’m afraid, I cannot do that. When one deeply loves one, one’s beloved’s burden becomes one’s own.”

Mura cannot argue with that notion. She thinks about the similarities she shares with the princess. Both have been torn apart from the ones they love; made to live the rest of their lives in agony and longing.  

The two talk a little longer before they say their farewells. 

Mura then rides her palanquin, with Janshil accompanying her on foot, to Jongdae’s house. 

Her cousin receives her merrily. “The sweets arrived not too long ago,” he informs.

In honor of the King’s birthday, Mura decided to distribute sweets to the poor. And she thought Jongdae’s house would be an ideal place to hold such a thing, given its location in the slums.

It took the labor of Mura herself, her mother, and the kitchen staff of their home, toiling away until late into the night of the previous day to finish preparing the large quantities of sweets. Then in the morning before leaving for the temple, Mura had instructed the sweets to be delivered to Jongdae’s house.

And thus once Mura arrives at Jongdae’s house, she and Jongdae, with the help of Janshil, set up tables in Jongdae’s yard for the distribution of the sweets. Before long, a line forms extending beyond the premises of Jongdae’s property, filled with happy and eager people— from children to the elderly— who look forward to receiving some complimentary sweets that are otherwise impossible for them to indulge in, for they are usually beyond the means of what these impoverished people can afford.

“Do pray for the King’s long life,” Mura urges before handing some sweets wrapped in paper to a young married woman.

“Of course, manim.” The woman accepts the sweets cheerfully and offers a small bow before turning away. 

“Pray for the King’s long life.” Both Janshil and Jongdae can also be heard uttering as they hand out the sweets. 

Upon her turn, an elderly woman approaches Mura to accept her share. 

“Please, pray for the King’s long life,” Mura requests the aging woman upon handing her the sweets. 

“If Your Ladyship permits, may I ask a question?” The old woman asks.

Mura nods. “Please.”

“I’ve heard Your Ladyhsip is the deposed Crown Princess. Is it true?”

Mura is staggered by the question. She answers regardless with an awkward chuckle. “Yes.”

“I hope Your Ladyship isn't offended by this lowly old woman's shamelessness. I was merely curious. I am simply quite taken by your devotion to the King. Aigoo, why should His Majesty let go of such a good-hearted wife?” Shen then tuts and shakes her head. “Such a shame.”

Mura just stands there, mute. 

“Forgive me, I have spoken out of bounds. I will take my leave. Thank you, manim for your generosity. May the heavens bless the King with a long and may your heart finds peace.” The old woman bows before walking away.

Mura schools her melancholic expression back to a smiling one as she greets the next recipient.

“I met with Princess Hwa-In,” Mura tells Jongdae.

The distribution of sweets has concluded and the crowds of people have dissipated. Mura and Jongdae sit on the latter’s porch while Janshil tidies everything. 

“I do not wish to speak of her,” Jongdae says flatly.

“Aren't you curious about her?”

Jongdae simply shakes his head and Mura decides to leave it at that.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Jongin shoots his arrow, which surges forward eventually embedding itself into the wooden target board, precisely in the middle of the forehead of the painted bull. 

“Bullseye!” A royal guard declares while waving a flag.

“You never miss, hyungnim,” Baekhyun compliments. “Your skills are truly remarkable.”

“I am humbled by your generous praise, Chonha,” Jongin expresses with humility. 

Baekhyun furls and unfurls his hand. “I am quite out of practice, my fingers are beginning to cramp. Shall we call it a day?”

“As you wish, Chonha.”

“Come, let us enjoy some refreshments.”

The two abandon their archery post and get comfortable under a makeshift canopy, where they are served wine and some fare to complement. 

“I must say, I expected Your Majesty to make merry in a grand banquet in celebration of your birthday. Instead, you have chosen to spend it shooting arrows with this humble brother of yours,” Jongin states as he pours a drink for his monarch brother. 

“The notion of hosting an extravagant banquet while my people lay waste by the plague seemed most unrighteous. Besides, I would rather bond over shooting arrows with a beloved brother than partake in a banquet attended by cunning court officials as we share feigned pleasantries. Such affairs are rather exhausting than amusing.”

“I am truly humbled that Your Majesty prefers my company over that of the powerful men of the royal court.”

“You are my kindred, hyungnim. I may be the King, but the affection I hold for you is not that of a king for his subject, but of a younger brother for his elder one. I hope you always remember that.”

Jongdae gives an unassuming smile. “You are most gracious, Chonha.”

Baekhyun returns the smile. The two go on to enjoy the food and the drinks offered to them.

Hyungnim, I am in dire need of counsel.”

“What is it, Chonha?”

“The budget that has been derived to tackle the plague crisis is proving to be insufficient as the ongoing war with Pyongan is depleting the state of its reserves. In order to amass sufficient funds to properly finance the measures against the plague, we may either have to resort to raising farmland taxes, placing a great burden on the already heavy shoulders of our farmers, or we may withdraw from the war temporarily, which will surely set us back significantly in an already deadlock dispute.”

“And you seek my opinion on the matter?” Jongin asks. 

Baekhyun nods. “Precisely.”

Chonha, forgive me, but as you very well know princes are strictly forbidden from engaging in state affairs. Even so much as an opinion could be regarded as treason.”

“What we discuss here, I assure you, shall remain between only the two of us.”

Chonha, you have court officials and advisors under your employ. Surely, their judgment on the matter will prove far more beneficial than mine. I am no politician.”

“Not by profession, but hyungnim, you possess impressive wisdom. And most importantly, you are unbiased with no secret agendas, unlike the officials of the court. Your input could prove valuable. Please, hyungim, I’m asking for a favor as your brother.”

Jongin spends some time in contemplation. “Let me ask you this, Chonha— what do your instincts tell you to do?”

“To withdraw from the war. My people are more in need of the funds than the war. Yes, a temporary withdrawal would set us back but I believe it is well worth it if it prevents this horrific disease from spreading any further.”

“Then you must heed your instincts.”

“You think so, hyungnim?”

“It is only right.” 

Jongin then shares his opinions on how to best go about the matter, and Baekhyun listens attentively.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Jongin walks in the direction of the palace gates once his meeting with the King ends. Much to his dismay, he happens upon the Grand Queen Dowager. He offers his bow as both he and his grandmother stop before each other.

“Your mother and siblings no longer reside here, yet here you are,” the Grand Queen Dowager snidely remarks.

Once a king passes, it is required of the late king’s concubines and all his illegitimate children that he shares with them to leave the royal palace. Only the queen dowagers and the late king’s legitimate children who are yet to marry may remain in the palace.

“I was summoned by His Majesty,” Jongin informs. “Surely, you do not expect me to defy the King’s orders.” He gives his grandmother a duplicitous smile.

“The King is still young and thus naive and far too generous about who he keeps in his company. He must learn of who he should and should not allow into his court.”

“And I do not doubt you will take it upon yourself to teach him.”

“Of course. As the eldest member of the royal family, it is my duty to confer the King with essential wisdom.”

Jongin gives another feigned smile. “Do what you must, Dewangdaebi-mama. I am quite accustomed to your campaign against my very existence. Feel free to wield your power and influence while you are still able. After all, at your age, it is only a matter of time before you grow into a senile old woman of little to no value. Relish the limited time you have at your disposal before your feeble mind begins to fail you.” 

“Jongin Gun!” The Grand Queen Dowager bellows; astonished at the blatant disrespect.

“I shall take my leave now.” With an amused smirk, Jongin bows in farewell before walking away. 

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Night eventually comes, bringing Baekhyun’s birthday that much closer to the end. He spends the last hours of his birthday sitting alone in his chamber holding and gazing upon the handkerchief that was gifted to him by the deposed Crown Princess for his birthday the year prior. Eyes longingly staring at the embroidered peaches. 

“Chonha, it is I, Samnom. May I enter?”

“Come In.” Baekhyun places the handkerchief back inside the wooden box it lives in. 

Samnom enters the chamber and bows. “I bring word from the Office of Ritiual Affairs.”

Baekhyun simply hums. He knows precisely what the word is.

“A consummation date with Consort Nam has been selected.”

Silence

“It has been scheduled a week from today,” Samnom adds.

“Very well. You may leave.”

Samnom bows and takes his leave and Baekhyun is left with two clenched fists. 


 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Hayeon, followed by her retinue, leaves her quarters to meet with the Grand Queen Dowager, who has summoned the royal consort. On her way, Hayeon happens upon Consort Yoo. She greets her with a forged smile. 

“How are you today, Nam Sukui?” Eunbo asks, sporting an equally disingenuous smile. 

“Quite well, Yoo Sukui. And yourself?”

“Likewise, thank you.”

“Have you heard? A date has been selected for my consummation with His Majesty.”

The boastful hint in Consort Nam’s voice is not missed by Eunbo. “I have, indeed. Congratulations.”

“It is to occur in six nights,” Hayeon adds.

“So I’ve heard.”

An uncomfortable silence follows but their feigned smiles do not falter.

“I am certain an auspicious date for your consummation would show itself soon. You mustn’t be disheartened.”

“I am not.” Eunbo fights the urge to scoff at the other’s false concern. “It shall happen when the heavens will it. In the meantime, I shall pray for a successful consummation between you and His Majesty and that you may go on to conceive a prince. However, are you worried at all?”

Hayeon knits her eyebrows in confusion. “About what?”

“Lest you give birth to a princess if you were to conceive.”

Hayeon’s smile disappears.

“Of course, I believe bringing any life into existence is a blessing in itself. However, this is the royal court, and under current circumstances, the vital duty of bearing a royal heir falls on your shoulders. If I were you, I would be quite racked with anxiety. I can imagine how disappointed the court— especially His Majesty— would be should you give birth to a princess. As royal consorts, the last thing we want is to let His Majesty down.”

Consort Nam’s expression gives way to apprehension and Eunbo holds back a victorious smile. 

Was it mean-spirited of Eunbo to stir unnecessary fear in the other’s heart? Yes. But, was it worth seeing the smugness on the other’s face morph into worry? Most definitely.

Eunbo sighs. “Goodness me, I am thinking far too ahead, aren’t I? You have yet to consummate, yet here I am speaking of the possible of a child that is yet to be conceived.” She laughs. “How mindless of me.”

“You must excuse me. The Grand Queen Dowager is expecting me,” Hayeon says tersely. 

“Oh, you mustn’t keep her waiting then. I wish you a pleasant day, Nam Sukui.”

“And I you, Yoo Sukui.” With that, Hayeon resumes her walk with her retinue in tow. However, she cannot shake off the pesky but valid concern brought up by Consort Yoo.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

“How do you find the tea, Nam Sukui?” The Queen Dowager inquires.

“It is quite pleasant, Mama,” Hayeon answers in a soft-spoken manner.

The elder laughs. “You need not pretend, my child. I am quite aware it is unpleasantly bitter, but immensely beneficial, nonetheless. Peony root tea is good for enhancing fertility. I have ordered it to be served to you daily until the day of consummation. You must make sure to drink it.”

Hayeon dips her head. “As you command, Mama.”

“I was very pleased upon learning a date of consummation had been found, at last. I had been hounding the Office of Rituals to secure an auspicious date. I am relieved that the stars have aligned.”

Hayeon smiles. “I am grateful to be bestowed the honor of serving His Majesty as I ought to.”

The dowager nods, pleased. “Yes, it is an honor, indeed. I have no doubt you will serve the King well.”

“I am grateful for your confidence in me.”

The two pause their conversation in order to drink their respective teas. 

“Tell me, my child, do you have any ambitions?” The dowager asks.

“To serve His Majesty wholeheartedly and bear his children are my only ambitions,” Hayeon answers. 

The dowager breathes a soft chuckle. “As they should be. But, have you ever thought of your future rank in court?”

“I dare not, Mama. I shall be happy with whatever rank His Majesty chooses to bestow upon me.”

The Grand Queen Dowager hums with a nod. “If you become with child you will likely be promoted to senior second rank. And if you give birth to a prince you may then be promoted to junior first rank. Maybe even a senior first rank if the King so wishes.”

Hayeon listens in silence.

“However, the queen’s seat will continue to be unoccupied."

Hayeon’s ears perk up. Precisely what is the elder trying to convey?

“I had been impressed by you since the royal bride selection. I have made no secret about it to you. And after having to come to know you more intimately these past two months, my opinion of you has become even more favorable.”

“That is very gracious of you, Mama. It is an honor,” Hayeon expresses.

“I believe your talents are better suited for the role of a queen rather than a concubine.”

Hayeon does not respond but her chest swells with anticipation. A queen not only wields more influence in court but she also gets a  seat, so to speak, right beside the King; unlike a concubine who is expected to stand and forever watch from the fringes 

Hayeon won’t deny a constant dread has been residing within her ever since she entered the palace, which is the truth that sooner or later a queen will be instated and then she will be made to compete with someone of a superior rank for the King’s attention. This truth has been a bitter medicine for Hayeon to swallow. 

“Tell me, Sukui, would you like to be the mother of this nation?” The dowager asks, regarding the royal consort keenly.

“I dare not to have such a dream.”

“You have my permission.”

Hayeon thinks. If she were to become the queen, the King would be obligated to prioritize her. 

“I am humbled by Your Highness’ high opinion of me, however, I doubt His Majesty has any desire to promote one of his concubines as the Queen.”

“Leave that to me.” The dowager pauses. “You must only ensure to give birth to a prince and I will take it upon myself to convince the King to appoint you as his queen.”

Hayeon blankly stares at the elder. Too careful to show her glee. She must not appear too eager.

“Of course, I would also require your loyalty toward me.” The dowager adds. “I wish to build a mutual trust between us.” She smiles. 

Hayeon would do anything if it means it would bring her closer to the King. She dips her head. “I shall do as you command, Daewangdaebi-mama.”

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

“Withdraw from the war?” War Minister Nam repeats the King’s words in astonishment. 

“Temporarily, yes.”

All present at the assembly are equally bemused. 

“I must strongly advise against it, Chonha,” Minister Nam says. “We will lose any and all momentum if we withdraw from this war at such a crucial point. It is a risk we simply cannot afford to take. This may as well have disastrous consequences.”

“I agree with the War Minister, Chonha,” the Chief State Councillor says. “If we withdraw, even if temporarily, this would allow General Kwak to strengthen his forces even further. It would prove detrimental.”

“Presently, the well-being of my people must take precedence,” Baekhyun declares. “This war is bleeding our reserves dry, as a result, we lack the funds needed to deal with the spread of the plague. I cannot allow this plague to continue to ravage the lives of my people.”

“A tax raise could be a good solution to this crisis,” another minister voices. 

“We have already raised taxes in order to fund the war. Do you now suggest that we take away whatever meager income our hard working farmers manage to keep? Are we statesmen or are we looters?”

There is no response.

“It has been decided. We will withdraw from the war until this horrific plague has been eradicated. I will not be swayed otherwise.”

“The late King believed in this war,” War Minister Nam states. “He would not have approved of this decision.”

“The late King is no more!” Baekhyun bellows and the hall falls silent. “I am your king now!” He shakes with rage. “This is my dominion and you all serve me! If you wish to undermine my authority then I suggest you conjure up a more well-grounded argument.”

Not another attempt is made to change the King’s decision.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

Mura egresses a tailor shop in the town square market with Janshil in tow. The two then begin their walk toward home. 

“Park-sshi?”

Mura hears a voice addressing her. She turns around to find Prince Jongin standing not too far away. He bows.

“Jongin Gun-mama.” Mura returns the bow.

“What brings you to the market today?” Jongin asks.

“I had business at a tailor shop,” Mura answers. “And yourself?”

“I was merely passing by.”

“I see.”

“Where are you headed now?”

“Home.”

“May I walk you there?”

“Oh, you need not bother.”

“Please, I insist.” Jongin presses. “I have nothing better to do.”

“Very well.” Mura agrees.

The two then begin walking side by side with Janshil following them. 

“How is Yuo?” Mura inquires about the prince’s beloved dog. “I have been thinking of her quite a bit, as of late.”

Jongin smiles. “You miss her?”

“I do,” Mura admits. “You have not visited with her in a month.”

“Forgive me, I have not had the opportunity.”

“Oh, you need not apologize. I was not complaining. Although, it may have sounded as if I were.” Mura giggles.

Jongin’s smile widens. “It did.”

Mura chuckles. 

“I suppose I could bring her for a visit within the next few days.”

“Please, do not feel obligated. I mostly said it in jest.”

“It would be my pleasure. I always look forward to our meetings for they brighten my days. Believe me, being in your company brings me much joy, Park-ssi.”

Mura is taken aback by the intensity of the prince's gaze. She averts her eyes, unable to withstand the other’s stare for much longer. 

Before long, they enter a secluded residential road that eventually leads to the Park home. Mura suddenly hears Janshil gasping loudly. She turns her head to look at her lady’s maid. 

Manim, I have mistakenly left your coat at the tailor shop,” Janshil remembers. 

“Oh. Let us return to retrieve it then.”

“You need not bother walking all the way back, manim. I shall run back and retrieve it myself. I will return swiftly.” With that, Janshil spins around and takes off running.

“Slow down, Janshila-ah. There’s no rush.” Mura shouts as her lady’s maid disappears upon taking a turn into an alleyway. Mura then turns to Prince Jongin. “You do not mind waiting, do you? It should not take very long.”

Jongin gives her a polite smile. “I do not mind, at all.” In fact, he is quite pleased to be left alone with the other.

Mura begins to aimlessly amble about within the vicinity while they wait for Janshil’s return. Jongin joins her. 

“Shall I pay you a visit tomorrow?” Jongin asks.

“If it is to your convenience,” Mura answers.

Jongin smiles. “I shall come tomorrow then. Bring Yuo with me, of course.”

Mura smiles back. “I very much look forward to it.”

Jongin’s heart leaps.

As they walk, Mura mistakenly steps on a small rock, causing her to lose her balance and stumble. She is promptly rescued by Prince Jongin, however, who stabilizes her by wrapping an arm around her waist.

“Goodness gracious!” Mura huffs out a breath. “I nearly fell there.” She then looks at Prince Jongin. “I thank you, Mama. So do all the bones in my body.” She laughs.

The prince does not laugh with her, nor does he respond. Only stares back at Mura with his arm still wrapped around her waist and a fervent gaze, unlike anything Mura has previously seen in the other’s eyes.

“I have regained my balance, you may release me, Mama.”

Jongin does not comply.

Mura lets out a chuckle, as she attempts to wriggle out of the prince’s hold. “Truly, you may release me,” she repeats

Jongin does the opposite of what the other asks him. He pulls her in closer, now with both his arms around her slender waist. 

Mama?” Mura squirms in his hold. “You mustn’t tease me like so.” She assumes the prince is playing a prank on her. 

A prank that is taken too far when the prince leans in on her face as if he were about to take her in a kiss. Mura, thankfully, manages to turn her head to side in time, hence instead of their lips meeting, the prince’s nose comes in contact with her cheek. 

“What is the meaning of this?” A jolt of shock runs through Mura’s body. 

Mura feels the prince take a sharp inhale against her cheek. She bristles.

“You smell divine,” Jongin remarks.

Mura is rendered paralyzed. Her muscles have seemingly gone stiff as a reaction to the prince’s actions. Her heart however pulses frantically. She is unbelievably confused and afraid. A part of her still hopes the prince is playing a prank. Why else?

Mama, this isn’t funny. Please, release me.”

“Have you any idea what you do to me?” Jongin says. “Do you have a clue as to how much I yearn for you?” 

Mura cannot believe the words being spewed by the prince. “I am a married woman.” Her voice trembles as he reminds the other. “To the King no less.”

Jongin huffs a chuckle. He takes Mura’s chin between his fingers and turns her head toward his face. Mura stares at him with wide, fearful eyes while Jongin appears amused.

“The King who has long abandoned you? You speak of that King?” The prince says.

Mura’s eyes begin to swim. “Even so, I will always be his woman.” She feels the prince’s hold tighten around her waist in a nearly painful grip. His eyes grow dark.

“Perhaps, in the eyes of the people. But in truth, you are meant to be mine. You should have been mine from the very beginning.”

Those outrageous words manage to irate Mura enough for her to gain some courage. “Release me this instant before I do something impudent to Your Highness.”

From the way the corner of the prince’s lips quirks up, he seems to find the threat rather amusing.

“You seem to possess some grit also. You never cease to amaze me, Park-sshi. The more I learn of you the more desirable you become in my eyes.” 

With one hand Jongin then takes hold of Mura’s nape and pulls her face even closer.

Mura’s expression twists in disgust. She tries to tear herself away but fails.

Jongin’s eyes travel down to the other’s lips and he leers at them with hunger as he his own lips.

Manim?”

Both Jongin and Mura turn their heads to find Janshil, with a coat in her possession, regarding them with sheer puzzlement. 

Janshil’s return is the thing that finally compels Jongin to release Mura from his hold.

Free at last, Mura hastily takes a few steps back, creating a distance between herself and Prince Jongin. “Your conduct just now was downright deplorable. I can only hope that you will reflect upon it and see the errors of the behavior you displayed today.”

Jongin closes whatever distance Mura had managed to create between them. “I do not regret it. I meant what I said. You shall be mine, Park Mura.”

The said woman looks at the prince with incredulity, utterly baffled by his boldness and lack of remorse. Her eyes then harden. “You are no longer welcome in my home. I wish to never see you again,” she declares sternly. “Come, Janshil-ah, let us go.” With that, she begins to stalk in the direction of her home. 

As Janshil passes Prince Jongin, she takes a quick glance at him which proves to be a mistake. The prince stares back at her in a way that incites nothing but fear for her life. He looks as if he could pounce on Janshil and strangle her with his bare hands. She wastes no time looking away before picking up her pace to catch up to her mistress.

Janshil notices her mistress visibly shaking. “Manim, are you quite all right? What happened while I was gone?”

“I will tell you all once we arrive home. But presently, I wish to be as far away from him as I am able.”

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

 

Baekhyun, dressed in his nightwear, is carried to Consort Nam’s quarters on a roofless sedan chair. He coughs into his hands— he is not feeling his best tonight. In fact, he has not been feeling his best since the previous day. However, he wished to be done with his obligations tonight for he did not think it necessary to postpone. Upon reaching the royal consort’s courtyard, he alights the sedan and enters the chambers. 

Consort Nam greets him with a smile and a bow. She is dressed in a usual chima that covers her modesty from the chest down, but the translucent jeogori she wears on top teases the soft pale skin of her arms and shoulders. Meant to tempt, surely. But the milky tone of the other’s skin does nothing to entice Baekhyun. His preference lies within a certain tawny complexion. 

He assumes his seat in front of a table that bears a brass pot of wine and several light dishes to complement. His consort takes it upon herself to pour him some of the wine in a cup. As Baekhyun takes a sip, he notices a four-stringed lute perched to the side of the room. 

“You play the dang-bipa?”

“Yes, Your Majesty,” Hayeon answers. “If you so desire, it shall be my honor to play for you tonight.”

“Well, why not. You may as well. I myself quite enjoy playing the dang-bipa, in fact.”

Hayeon knows. She had learned of the King’s hobby years ago when he had been the Crown Prince. It was because of him that she herself took to learning the instrument, for she wished to share the same interests as him.

Hayeon picks up the lute, sits across from the King on the opposite side of the table, and begins to strum the instrument’s strings melodically. 

She plays very beautifully, Baekhyun notes as he watches her. He is quite impressed by her skills. 

Nam Hayeon is an impressive woman. She has been blessed with enviable beauty. She effortlessly emanates grace and elegance. A woman of many talents. Most importantly she reveres Baekhyun. She appears loyal, devoted, and always so eager to please him. She makes for an ideal royal consort. An ideal woman for any man in Choson.

Yet, Baekhyun fails to feel any affection for her. If only he could allow his heart to open for the other, he could be spared from much anguish.

Baekhyun sets his cup down and pushes aside the table before him. “Come.” He beckons his consort. 

Hayeon sets the lute down and obediently goes to him, bringing with her an enthusiastic smile. 

“You seem quite happy,” Baekhyun remarks.

Hayeon’s smile widens. “How can I not be? Tonight I am to be embraced by the man whom I love passionately. I feel like the most fortunate woman in all of the lands.”

Baekhyun simply gazes at her expressionless. He feels nothing by those words. 

Hayeon notices beads of sweat forming on the King’s forehead. He wipes them away using the sleeve of her jeogori. “Are you quite hot, Chonha?”

“Yes, I suppose I am.” Baekhyun suddenly feels even worse than he did when entered the chamber.

“May I?” Hayeon asks his permission to remove his outer robe.

Baekhyun nods and his consort helps him slip out of the robe. His eyes then travel to the ties of Consort Nam’s jeogori and he stares at it apprehensively.

“Do not hesitate, Chonha,” Hayeon says, noting the King’s gaze on her jeogori ties. “My body is yours to have.”

Baekhyun reluctantly reaches for the ties and slowly untangles them. Hanyeon shrugs off the piece of clothing, fully exposing her shoulders and arms. 

Baekhyun’s head begins to spin, but not as a result of watching the woman before him in a manner of undress. His lids becoming increasingly heavier.

Chonha,” Hayeon whispers sweetly before placing a loving hand on her husband’s cheek. However, she is promptly alarmed by the manner in which his skin feels against her palm. The other’s skin is practically burning. Her eyes narrow with concern. “Chonha?” 

Baekhyun’s head sways back and forth a few times before his eyes shut and his head collapses on Hayeon’s shoulder. 

Chonha?” Hayeon exclaims. She shakes her husband, but he remains unresponsive. “Chonha!” She cries. “Who’s there? Who's there?” She shouts for her attendants. 

Upon hearing her mistress’ cries, Consort Nam’s lady-in-waiting enters the chamber. “Jaga?”

“Send for the Royal Physician at once!” Hayeon screams hysterically as she continues to hold her unconscious husband in her arms.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

A/N: Uh oh, what do you think happened to Baek? And Jongiiiin?? Omg!

Just wanna give you guys a heads up this time around. It'll take me about a month to update again. I'll be pretty busy the next couple of weeks and then I'll be off on a much needed vacation. Once I return from my trip, I plan on updating more frequently again. So sorry in advance for another long-ish wait :( But, don't worry, we're close to a Baek-Mura reunion :)

Also, who else is outrageously excited about the EXO comeback?? I have been listening to Let Me In, non-stop!! Ahhh, I'm so stoked!!! XD