(i)

Peach Blossom Promises

 

With a firm grip around the hilt and with equally firm tenacity, Mura raises the sword in her possession and swipes it diagonally, slicing through a straw pell in front of her. She then performs several combat movements— twirling and lunging as her feet drag along the concrete ground, all the while swinging her sword around with impressive expertise and slicing through the rest of the pells that stand erect around her in quick succession.

Mura stands winded in the middle of the courtyard, donning her training attire, pleased with her performance. But then her moment of satisfactory reflection gets interrupted when suddenly a wooden sword appears over her shoulder from behind. Mura turns to find her father wielding the said wooden sword. 

“Care for a sparring match with your father?” Lord Park asks, smiling at his daughter.

A glint of spark flashes in Mura’s eyes. When has she ever refused a sparring challenge? She replaces her steel word with a wooden one and the father-daughter duad proceeds with a friendly spar, which Mura easily wins.

“It seems old age has slowed you down considerably.” Mura playfully taunts her father. 

Lord Park responds to his daughter’s humor with a spirited laugh. “Or your skills have improved considerably.”

Mura flashes a prideful grin. She won’t deny this is the best she has ever been in her swordsmanship. For the past seven months, she has been dedicating significant hours of her time to further honing her skills. She mostly trains by herself, with Sehun occasionally helping her practice sparring. Mura’s other cousins in their collective no longer have hours to spare in training with her as they once did, and Mura’s status as a married woman does not lend itself well to training in a public practice field as she used to before her marriage. A well-bred married lady cannot possibly be seen engaging in an activity such as swordplay so candidly, especially in the presence of men.

But what Mura does within the walls of her home is no one’s business, and she makes good use of the largest courtyard her father’s estate has to offer. 

Lord Park drops his wooden sword and advances toward his daughter. He smiles at her fondly and gently pats her head. “Getting to see your smiling face daily has been such a treat. How fortunate your mother and I are to have you back with us. This house felt utterly desolate in your absence, but you have breathed life into it with your return.”

Mura gives her father a warm smile of her own. “I am thrilled to have returned to you and omoni.”

Lord Park offers another tender smile before walking away. As he leaves Janshil approaches Mura carrying a gourd ladle filled with water before handing it to her mistress. 

Mura drinks from the ladle and lets out a satisfied sound as her thirst is quenched. “Draw me a bath,” she orders her lady’s maid. 

“Yes, manim1.”

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

 

Once Mura is bathed, Janshil helps her get dressed before doing her hair. The lady’s maid combs her mistress’ long, jet tresses before weaving them into a single braid. She then ties the braid in a loop before wrapping it in a chignon and fastening it with a long hairpin. 

Mura reaches for her silver, peach blossom ingrained pair of garakji rings laid out on the table in front of her and slides them on her forefinger. 

Once fully dressed, Mura sends Janshil to the kitchen to collect a few containers of food that she had previously asked the kitchen staff to prepare.

Omoni, I’m leaving to visit Jongdae,” Mura informs her mother. 

“Ah, yes. Give him my regards and return safely,” Lady Kim tells her daughter. 

“Yes, omoni, I shall return in a few hours.” Mura bows before walking away. 

She then walks up to the gates where Janshil has been waiting by a palanquin, carrying a small tower of food containers, encased within a wrapping cloth.

Upon settling inside the palanquin, Mura begins the short journey to visit her cousin as the palanquin bearers carry her, while Janshil accompanies her on foot.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Jongdae devours the food that Mura brings for him like a ravenous beast.

“Jongdae-ah, slow down, will you?” Mura urges her cousin. “At this rate, you may very well choke.”

“I’ve been eating nothing but rice and kimchi for the past three days. Let me relish this,” Jongdae speaks with his mouth full. 

“You ran out of the food I brought in last week?”

Jongdae nods.

“Jongdae-ah, you must learn to ration. You can no longer afford to eat in the manner you once did.”

Jongdae dismisses his cousin’s words with a hum and a few insincere nods.

The two are seated on the shabby porch of Jongdae’s shabby home. After the young noble was disowned by his father, he was forced to relocate to a very modest home in one of the town’s slums, for it is all he could afford with the measly amount of money that was granted to him by his father as a final gesture of generosity before cutting him off from the inheritance. 

The high-born man, who grew up with a silver spoon in his mouth and boasted an inheritance sizeable enough to live comfortably until old age without any supplementary income of his own, is now relegated to living a destitute existence— at the mercy of his cousin for sustenance.

Mura is more than happy to provide that sustenance. She visits Jongdae once a week without fail and brings with her enough food to last him a week until her next visit. After all, she’s the only kin left on whom he may rely, for it wasn’t only Jongdae’s father who had chosen to turn his back on him. 

Junmyeon severed ties with Jongdae as well because not only did he believe his younger brother had brought shame upon their family, but he also believed his brother had been the chief reason for Mura’s deposition. And he wasn’t alone in this presumption as Minseok, Kyungsoo, and to a certain extent, even Chanyeol shared this notion. As such, they, too, have ceased communication with Jongdae.

No matter how much Mura had tried to convince them that her deposition had nothing to do with Jongdae’s misdoings, her cousins in turn schooled her for not understanding the inner workings of politics and refused to make any kind of amends with Jongdae. The only other person from their little collective, apart from Mura, who continues to maintain a relationship with Jongdae is Sehun because of the influence Mura has on him.

“Have you heard? They are searching for a bride for Kyungsoo,” Mura mentions.

“Good for him. Do you think I’ll be invited to the wedding?” Jongdae asks in jest. He knows he won’t be invited. 

Mura only responds with a pitied smile.

Jongdae’s playful expression gets replaced by muted sorrow. 

“Consider yourself fortunate for not being obligated to attend. Wedding ceremonies are such boring affairs, do you not think?” Mura tries to ease the somber mood.

The corners of Jongdae’s lips stretch slightly. He appreciates his cousin’s effort to comfort him. “Yes, they are, indeed.”

Eventually, the time comes for Mura to return home. 

“What should I bring with me next week? What are you eager to eat?” Mura asks Jongdae as she bids him farewell. 

“As I’ve mentioned previously, there’s no need for preparing a separate dish for my sake. Just bring whatever you find in the kitchen.”

“I’ll tell the kitchen to prepare some fermented fish since it is one of your favorites,” Mura ignores her cousin’s insistence.

Jongdae gives her an appreciative smile. “Very well.”

Mura smiles back. “I shall see you next week then. Take care until then.”

Jongdae lifts the palanquin cover for his cousin. Once she is settled inside the litter, Jongdae beds over to face her. “Mura-ya.”

“Hm?”

“Thank you… for everything.” Jongdae expresses with deep sincerity. 

Mura gives her cousin a loving smile and she nods. 

Jongdae lowers the palanquin cover. “Deliver her safely,” he tells the palanquin bearers.

Janshil, who has been standing by the palanquin, bows to Jongdae before she, along with the palanquin, are on their way back to the Park home.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Upon their return from visiting Jongdae, Mura and Janshil are met with the presence of Sehun in the front courtyard of the Park home.

Nui, you should have taken me with you to visit Jongdae hyung,” Sehun complains to his cousin.

“Apologies, my dearest. Nui will take you with her next week, hm?” Mura utilizes her motherly voice on the younger.

Sehun gives a small smile and nods. “Oh,” he then utters in remembrance before reaching into the wide-sleeve pocket of his robe and fishing out a bright orange tangerine. “A peer of mine from the civil service examinations cohort obtained a few of these during a trip to Jeju. He was kind enough to gift me a couple. I kept one and thought I should give the other away.”

Mura is touched by her cousin’s thoughtfulness. How sweet of him to think of her to share this gift with. Though it shouldn’t come as a surprise as the younger has always been considerate of her and has been more than eager to share with her things he took delight in.

Mura smiles. “How sweet of you Sehun-ah.” She extends her hand to take the fruit from the younger—

“Janshil, here.” Sehun shyly offers the fruit to the lady’s maid; his cousin’s reaching hand goes unnoticed by him.

Mura promptly withdraws her hand, embarrassed.

Janshil, who stands closely behind her mistress, regards Sehun with confusion. “Pardon?”

Sehun gives her a smile. “This is for you, take it.”

Janshil’s eyes flit between the young master and the citrus fruit being offered to her. “Why?”

Sehun chuckles bashfully. “Just because.”

“I see. Apologies, but I cannot accept it.”

Sehun’s expression drops. “Why not?”

“I do not want it.” 

“How can you not want it? Jeju tangerines are rare treats around here. They are highly sought after in all of Choson.”

“Then wouldn’t giving it to someone who actually covets it be a better use of such a highly sought-after treat?”

Sehun stutters. He was not expecting this blatant rejection. 

Janshil has her reasons for the refusal. The lady’s maid is well aware of the young master’s infatuation with her. He thinks he is subtle with his advances, but there is nothing subtle about the way the young master follows her around when given the opportunity. Always vying for her attention whenever they share a space. Sending coy smiles her way. Even though Janshil is always curt with him and draws a clear line between them, the young master still fails to get the hint. Hence why she does not wish to encourage this behavior of his and provide him with a false sense of hope by accepting what very clearly is a courting gift. 

“You should give it to Mura manim, instead,” Janshil suggests.

Sehun visibly deflates. “Very well.” He reluctantly offers the fruit to his cousin. “Here, nui.”

“I do not want what was not meant for me,” Mura says tightly, offended that she was not her dear cousin’s first choice and even more offended by his evident lack of enthusiasm in offering her the fruit. She flounces off.

With a dejected expression, Sehun turns his gaze to Janshil, who gives him a shrug before running off to catch up to her mistress, leaving a crestfallen Sehun to brood on his own.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Mura keeps a keen eye on the framed fabric before her as she needles silk thread in and out of it. Embroidery was a hobby Mura was driven to take on due to the limited number of leisurely activities she was allowed to engage in during her time in the royal palace. However, she surprisingly grew quite fond of it. So much so that even after leaving the palace, this newfound hobby of hers remains with her. 

Her attention on the task breaks when the door to her chamber opens suddenly, and in trots in a furry little thing— a certain familiar furry little thing with its long and lush fur, and a flattened muzzle.

“Yuo-ah?” Mura exclaims at the tiny dog in surprise. “What you are you doing here, darling?” 

In response, the miniature dog lets out a bark that is more akin to a yelp.

Mura gets up and picks up the little dog. The animal greets her with a few on her chin, causing her to let out a pleased laugh. “Where is your father, hm? Is he outside?”

With the dog in her arms, Mura walks outside, where in the courtyard she is greeted by the charming smile of Yuo’s owner, Prince Jongin.

Mura returns the smile. “Gun-mama.” She offers a bow. 

“Park-sshi2.” Jongin provides a bow of his own. 

Mura decides to host the visitor at the estate’s pavilion, where a maid brings them tea. 

“Apologies, Park-sshi, I hope I did not interrupt your day,” Jongin expresses. 

“Oh, not at all. It is not as though I stay occupied with important matters. Besides, it is always a pleasure to see Yuo.” Mura pets the dog, who obediently sits on her lap. 

“Only Yuo? Are you not pleased to see me?” A sly smile dances on Jongin’s lips.

Mura nods eagerly. “Of course, I am! Extremely pleased, in fact.” She assures the prince.

Jongin’s mouth splits into a grin. “I am relieved to hear that, otherwise it would have been most disheartening to learn that I’ve been causing nothing but inconveniences to you with my visits.”

Six months ago, Jongin had shown up to the Park home, with Yuo in his arms, for an impromptu visit to the deposed Crown Princess, who paid his unannounced appearance no mind and welcomed him hospitably. 

Since then Jongin has made a habit of making these impromptu visits to his sister-in-law, once or twice a month. Always making sure to bring Yuo with him, knowing how much the other adores his precious pet.

“Never. I assure you, Gun-mama, your company is always welcome and appreciated.” Mura gifts the prince with a bright affable smile. 

Jongin’s belly swirls with boyish giddiness. This is precisely why he comes for these visits— to witness that smile; to be on the receiving end of it. Of course, it isn’t the only thing he looks forward to, for the woman before him is not lacking in charms. However, that smile of hers does things to Jongin in ways that not even a chest full of rare and precious gems could. And that is a sentiment of a man who does collect and prize precious gems for pleasure. 

The two drink tea and partake in conversations that carry on effortlessly. They have always shared a good rapport.

Later, when Mura sees off Prince Jongin, Lady Kim and Janshil watch from a distance. 

The lady’s maid notices a look of displeasure on the matron’s face. “Manim, why do you make such an expression?”

“I do not like the prince making such visits to Mura. What business could a married man possibly have with a married woman?”

“Well, they are in-laws,” Janshil reasons. 

“In-laws, my foot.” Lady Kim sneers. “Only in name. My daughter may remain married to the King, but her ties to the royal family are as good as broken. Hence, this continued mingling with one’s brother’s estranged wife does not sit well with me. I cannot help but worry that the prince may not have the purest of intentions. Men rarely do when it comes to beautiful women.”

Manim, you worry unnecessarily,” Janshil tells the matron. “The prince and Mura manim have been sharing a good acquaintanceship since her days in the palace. He has always treated her with kindness and respect. I believe him to be a good man.”

Lady Kim does not respond and Janshil’s words do little to quell her worries. But it seems her daughter truly enjoys the prince’s company, hence for her sake, she decides to keep her concerns to herself.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

“Wah, omoni, this fish stew has turned out splendidly!” Mura praises her mother’s cooking as she relishes a spoonful of the said stew. 

“Indeed, you have outdone yourself, buin.” Lord Park adds to the praise.

“Truly? Then eat more!” Lady Kim encourages her husband and daughter. 

The triad has sat down to eat dinner together this evening. They enjoy their meals, prepared by Lady Kim herself, over good conversations and a few laughs. 

“They may have found the right bride for Kyungsoo,” Lady Kim informs about her sister’s son. 

“Is that so?” Lord Park asks.

Lady Kim nods. She then provides the details pertaining to the said suitress. “Nothing has been confirmed yet. Jebu3,” she refers to Kyungsoo’s father, her brother-in-law. “is planning on sending a formal letter of a marriage proposal in the coming days.”

“If the said young lady is truly fit for Kyungsoo-ah, then I pray her family will accept the proposal,” Lord Park says. 

“Apparently, the young lady’s family is quite eager. And why wouldn’t they be? Our Kyungsoo-ah graduated from the Royal Academy with the highest distinction and is now employed by the Office of Special Advisors. Could there be a better suitor than he?”

“Still, I pity his future wife,” Mura states. 

Lady Kim frowns. “Why?”

“Kyungsoo-ah rarely expresses his thoughts or feelings, I fear his poor wife will be constantly made to play the guessing game with him; driven to madness in trying figure out what goes on in the head of that husband of hers.”

Mura’s parents share a good laugh at her joke. 

“You are not entirely wrong,” Lady Kim agrees. 

“Speaking of marriages.” Lord Park clears his throat. “It seems the King has decided to take in a concubine.”

Mura, who is in the process of putting a spoonful of food into , stills.

“A concubine? Instead of a queen?” Lady Kim queries, puzzled. 

“For reasons unknown the King refuses to appoint a queen, at present.” Lord Park informs. “However, as he must sire an heir, he has agreed upon designating a concubine, instead.”

“That is rather unusual,” Lady Kim remarks. “It is quite suspicious to me that he refuses to appoint a queen. There must be something wicked at play. Perhaps it is for the same mysterious reasons he chose not to appoint Mura as the queen.”

Mura sets down her spoon that she’s been holding in the air. “I can eat no more.”

“Oh?” Lady Kim utters.

“I have had my fill. May I be excused?”

“Yes, go on then.” Lord Park permits. 

“Thank you, omoni, for the delicious meal,” Mura expresses to her mother before getting up and leaving her parents’ chambers. 

“Should you think the news of the King taking in a concubine upset her?” Lord Park asks his wife.

“Upset whom? Our Mura-ya?” Lady Kim lets out a dismissive laugh. “She does not care about the King’s business. She admitted to me that she and the King never shared a relation a married couple ought to. I doubt it matters to her whether or not the King chooses to marry again.”

“Have you noted any changes in her since her return?” Lord Park inquires. 

Lady Kim hums in thought. “She certainly appears to have matured considerably. She isn’t as spirited as she once had been. I suppose, living by the strict conduct of the royal palace had prompted her to adopt a more subdued disposition. Besides, she is now the age of twenty-six; changes in disposition are common as one ages.”

Lord Park nods. “Yes, I agree. Although, I cannot decide if it is for the better or not. I do miss our vivacious Mura.”

“I cannot lie, as do I,” Lady Park states in agreement. “In the past, I had always wished for her to be more demure, however, now that wish of mine had seemingly come true, I now wish it hadn’t and that we could get back our old Mura.”

Lord Park sighs. 

“Fret not, Daegam4, at least she appears happy to have left the palace.”

Lord Park nods. All he can hope is that his daughter is well and truly happy.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

After abruptly leaving dinner, Mura returns to her quarters and changes into her training clothes. She picks up her sword and goes out into the night to the large courtyard, where she sets up a few straw pells to practice on. And thus she begins to practice by herself. With each swing of the blade and each strike to the pell, Mura tries to distract herself from the pain— the pain of yearning; the pain of abandonment; the pain of a lost love that was never truly hers; the pain of the said love moving on to better things. This is how Mura copes. Every time she hurts, she slips into her training garb, gets her sword, and she trains, so she may forget the hurt, even if for a little while. She will exhaust herself until she is too tired to dwell in the memories and is left with no energy to cry— a feat she has successfully maintained, for she had not shed a single tear since leaving the royal palace because she refuses to; simply out of spite.

I am above it, Mura willed herself to believe. 

But even the exertion of swordplay fails to prevent a particular thought from crossing Mura’s mind. What if the King had appeared before her? Offering his hand for her to take, and asking her to come away with him. Mura is overcome with desperate yearning at the thought because if that were to happen, nothing— absolutely nothing— in this world would be able to keep her from taking the King’s hand.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

Translations:

1. Manim: milady/milord

2. Sshi: lady. So when Jongin called Mura Park-sshi he was basically calling her Lady Park.

3. Jebu: honorific used by a woman to address/refer to her younger sister's husband.

4. Daegam: your/his excellency. Style used to address the highest ranking officials.