(sibi)

Peach Blossom Promises

“I had always known that knave was up to no good,” cries the Grand Queen Dowager. “Though I am ineffably alarmed by his audacious endeavor, it hardly comes as a surprise. I could always sense an air of sinisterness lurking beneath that insufferable genial pretense.” The elder dowager’s countenance pinches in disdain as she speaks of her treacherous grandson. “I had always been accused of being unfair to Prince Jongin, but Daebi,” she addresses the Queen Dowager while standing over her. “do you now understand why I had been so strict with him?”

The younger dowager gives no response as she sits glumly beside her sleeping son while holding his hand. Last night’s events had initially sent her spiraling into hysteria, but she had since managed to compose herself; grateful that her son is still alive and breathing.

Hayeon, on the other hand, continues to weep at the King’s feet. Just like the Queen Dowager, she had been hysterical all night fretting over the king’s wellbeing. Though this morning she is nowhere near as frantic, she still remains inconsolable. 

“Nam Sukui,” the Grand Queen Dowager addresses the weeping royal consort. “You had better return to your quarters and take a rest.”

“No, please, I wish to remain by His Majesty’s side.”

“Do not be so stubborn, child,” the elder dowager cries. “We are all distraught enough as is without your incessant crying adding further to the distress. Retreat to your quarters. You may return once you have a better hold of your emotions. It is an order!” 

Hayeon reluctantly surrenders to the elder’s will and with one final forlorn gaze at the King, she leaves his chamber, disgruntled. 

As she stalks out of the king’s quarters and onto the porch, Hayeon finds Park Mura still standing in the courtyard with her father, same as the royal consort had earlier when she rushed over to see the King. 

At the time, Hayeon had been far too concerned with the King to question or dwell in the other woman’s presence, but now the sight of the other elicits an unpleasant feeling within her. Hayeon had never been very fond of the former crown princess. She never did forgive the other woman for stealing the position she had coveted so ardently for herself. Nor does she ever intend to forgive.

“What is Lady Park doing here? And why is she dressed in a royal nurse’s uniform?” Hayeon mutters to her lady-in-waiting.

“Apparently, last night, she had disguised herself as a royal nurse and entered His Majesty’s chamber for reasons yet unknown,” the said lady-in-waiting enlightens her mistress.

Hayeon’s nostrils flare and her lips press into a thin line. She hurriedly slides into her shoes perched on the steps and strides in Mura’s direction. “Jaga,” the other woman greets Hayeon with a bow. Hayeon, in turn, accosts the other with a sharp slap to the cheek.

Jaga?” Lord Park exclaims at the royal consort.

“How dare you bamboozle your way into His Majesty’s chamber?” Hayeon snarls at Mura, fixing the other with a vicious glare. “What were your intentions?”

Jaga, my daughter had no ill intent,” Lord Park speaks on his daughter’s behalf. “She simply wished to see His Majesty since he had been ailing. Nothing more.”

Daegam, am I truly to believe that your daughter’s visit to His Majesty through deceitful means on the very night of his attempted assassination is nothing more than a coincidence?”

“Surely, Jaga, you do not insinuate that my daughter aided in last night’s insurrection?”

“Indeed I do, Daegam.”

Meanwhile, inside, Baekhyun stirs in his sleep before his eyes flicker open. 

Chusang?” His mother cries.

The royal physician, who has been present in the room lest his services were needed, begins to examine the King. Just then a court lady enters the room with an alarmed expression. 

“Dewangdaebi-mama, Daebi-mama,” she addresses the dowagers. “forgive my intrusion, but an altercation has seemingly risen in the courtyard amongst Consort Nam, Councilor Park, and Lady Park. What should we do?”

The Grand Queen Dowager sighs. “I had better see to it myself. I do believe Councilor Park and that daughter of his have much to explain.”

The elder dowager then leaves the room, while the younger dowager remains by her son’s side, relying on her mother-in-law to resolve whatever conflict occuring outside.

Eunbo, who has also been present in the King’s room, follows the Grand Queen Dowager out to the courtyard.

“What seems to be the matter?” The dowager cries once outside.

Dewangdaebi-mama.” Hayeon approaches the elder. “I, pray, beseech you to have Lady Park and Councilor Park detained and investigated for any possible involvement in the insurrection.”

“That is a hefty accusation you make, Nam Sukui,” the dowager says.

“But is it entirely outside of reason, Mama?” Hayeon asks. “Should it be a far-fetched notion that the deposed crown princess may have harbored grievances as a result of being ousted from the royal court, and thus, sought retribution for it?”

“You do bring up a valid point,” the dowager agrees.

Dewangdaebi-mama,” Lord Park cries and kneels before her. Mura follows suit. “My daughter and I have most certainly bent some rules last night, but we have not, by any measure, committed high treason such as aiding a rebellion against His Majesty and his regime. My daughter and I are His Majesty’s loyal devotees, we would choose death before we even dare think of betraying him.”

Dewangdaebi-mama, if I may?” Eunbo respectfully interjects. 

“Have you something to say, Yoo Sukui?” The dowager asks her.

“I do, Mama. It is imperative that you hear it.”

“Very well.”

“The councilor and Lady Park could not have played a part in the insurrection for it is thanks to Lady Park’s bravery that His Majesty lives. She put her own life in peril and tenaciously fought with the enemy toe to toe in order to protect His Majesty. I bore witness to it myself.”

Eunbo was counseled in advance by Lord Park to not mention her involvement in the scheme to covertly bring the deposed crown princess into the King’s chamber, in order for Eunbo to evade any ramifications.

“Jaga, it is in your best interest to not attract any form of scrutiny from the Grand Queen Dowager,” Lord Park had told the royal consort.

However, if the accusation of treason continues to be levied upon the Parks, Eunbo would be compelled to come forward with her involvement for it would serve to provide a clearer understanding of the situation. 

Hayeon curls her lips at Eunbo. She does not appreciate the other royal consort coming to the Parks’ defense. 

“Even if what Consort Yoo claims is true, it still does not absolve Lady Park of her illicit actions. She has committed the crime of tresspassing into the palace and the King’s chamber for which she must be held accountable,” the dowager declares. “I order the immediate imprisonment of Park Mura until an appropriate penalty has been decided. I also order the imprisonment of the Left State Councilor who had acted as an aide.”

Moments later, guards arrive to the Parks to the court prison. The father and the daughter do not resist their arrest and allow themselves to be taken away peacefully. They manage to take only a few steps, however, when suddenly they hear muffled cries coming from within the King’s residence. 

Chusang!” The voice of the Queen Dowager can be heard shouting.

Suddenly the double doors to the entrance of the king’s quarters swing wide open and through the doorway appears the King himself, followed by his frantic mother and attendants.

All present in the courtyard gasp in shock. 

Mura stares at the King wide-eyed. “Chonha?”

Chonha!” A courtier cries with a drawl before crouching in prostration.

Chonha!” The others wail as well, prostrating before the king, with the exception of the queen dowagers.

“What in heaven's name is happening?” Baekhyun bellows with labored breath.

Gravely concerned, the Grand Queen Dowager approaches her grandson, who appears worse for wear. “Chusang, why are you here? You should be resting.”

Baekhyun ignores his grandmother as his tired, hooded eyes roam around before they finally land on what they have been searching for. Baekhyun finds Mura some distance away in the courtyard hunched over on her hands and knees like the rest of them. 

Chusang, please, let us return to your chamber.” The Queen Dowager tries to convince her son. 

“What were you about to do with Lady Park?” Baekhyun murmurs.

Chusang, you mustn’t concern yourself with matters of court until your health has been restored,” his grandmother says. “You must rest instead. Leave everything to me, hm?”

Baekhyun ignores his grandmother and advances into the courtyard. 

Chusang!” His grandmother cries to no avail.

Baekhyun trudges past several prostrating bodies, including that of Hayeon who watches the King pass her by with not even a glance to spare her way.

Mura with her head hanging low fails to see what is unfolding around her until a pair of feet stop before her. 

“Rise.”

Upon hearing the command, Mura looks up to find the King standing over her. Baekhyun bends over, grabs her by the arms, and props her on her feet. 

Chonha?” Mura regards him with astonishment.

Baekhyun says nothing. He simply takes her hand and leads her toward his chambers, much to Hayeon’s dismay.

Chusang, where are you taking Lady Park?” A bemused Grand Queen Dowager asks her grandson as he is about to retreat inside his quarters with Park Mura in company.

“Lady Park is to stay by my side. If anyone dares lay a hand on her, I shall personally execute them,” Baekhyun shouts, ensuring all present have heard him. With that, Baekhyun enters his quarters bringing Mura with him. 

Upon entering his bedchamber, Baekhyun looks at his wife with a softened gaze. “Buin,” he manages to utter with a feeble smile before his eyes roll back alarmingly and he subsequently collapses.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

The royal court is left to grapple with the aftermath of the insurrection. It persevered against the enemy’s attempts, but not without grave consequences. Lives have been lost, many have been wounded. And the offending man responsible for this calamity had fled, evading accountability for his reprehensible actions. 

True to his virtue, Chanyeol voluntarily returned to his confinement after his escape from the court prison. He turned himself in once he ensured the King’s life no longer remained under threat.

Most of the King’s attendants went largely unharmed, save for Samnom, who suffered a few injuries in the hands of the enemy, but managed to survive his afflictions and had been kept under treatment.

The atmosphere of the royal palace is that of gloom and despondency. The only glimmer of hope that endures is the King’s survival, but even that dangles with uncertainty. He may no longer be in any imminent danger from the enemy, but his life continues to be threatened by the dreadful ailment that plagues him.

The King has slipped into another prolonged senselessness. His fever has again risen sharply and his once-promising recovery has been met with a setback. 

Mura remains seated committedly beside her unconscious husband since his collapse earlier in the morning. It is now evening. 

As per the King’s wishes, Mura has been permitted by the Queen Dowager to stay in the palace for the time being, despite the decision being challenged by the Grand Queen Dowager. 

“I will honor the King’s wishes,” the Queen Dowager had told her mother-in-law, “for it could be his last.”

The senior dowager begrudgingly relented. 

The matter of Mura and her father’s transgressions of the prior night has been put on hold for the time being. The royal court has bigger fish to fry, anyway, for it must dedicate itself to investigating the insurrection and apprehending any and all of its guilty participants.

Manim.”

Mura’s eyelids fly open. A bit out of sorts, she sits up from her partially lying position on the floor near the still slumbering King. She had unwittingly drifted off. Mura looks at the court lady, the King’s own, who had called her. 

“Forgive me, manim, for waking you,” the king’s lady-in-waiting expressed. “Accommodations have been arranged for you. Perhaps Your Ladyship should like to retire there for the night?”

Mura moves her gaze contemplatively at the King.

The lady-in-waiting senses her hesitation. “A bath and a proper meal should be beneficial for Your Ladyship. His Majesty would surely require your comfort.”

Mura is not much in the spirit of eating, but she could use a bath. She still dons the royal nurse’s uniform she had put on the night before. It has since been sullied with her own sweat and odor. A bath is indeed in order. 

Mura reluctantly leaves her husband’s side with the promise to return early morning. She steps out of the king’s quarters to find a familiar face standing in the courtyard.

“Choi Sanggung?”

The said court lady greets her with a bow. “Park-sshi manim.”

Mura runs to the court lady and takes her in an embrace, much to the court lady’s surprise. “It is so good to see you, Choi Sanggung.”

Madam Choi smiles and gently pats her former mistress’ back. “Likewise, manim.”

Mura then releases her with a downcast expression. “I wish our reunion had been under better circumstances.”

“Yes, indeed.” Madam Choi muses somberly. “Nevertheless, I should like to believe what we face now is nothing more than a hitch and that better days are ahead. And I am utterly delighted to be in your company again. I have been tasked with serving Your Ladyship for the duration of your stay in the palace.”

Mura gives a small smile. “I shall be grateful to have your familiar presence. This place, though once my home, now feels strangely foreign.”

“Then I shall do my best to make you comfortable. Come, let us head to the annex.” Madam Choi, along with a couple of court maids, escorts Mura to her lodging. 

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

The following morning, Mura returns to the king’s bedchamber to better news. The King’s fever has subsided considerably and is again showing signs of improvement, much to the relief of all.

Throughout the day, many come in and out of the King’s bedchamber, but Mura remains there stationed, caring for her sick husband. It is only when the Queen Dowager, or later, Consort Nam come to pay their visits to the King does she make herself scarce, but never quite leaving the premises. When the night sets in, Mura finally retreats to her lodging with the intent to return the morning after. 

Two more days go by in this manner. Mura pours herself into the service of the King, who continues to be unconscious with brief bouts of partial wakefulness. Most of the time, she sits alone by the King’s side, but sometimes she receives the company of Consort Yoo, who continues to be as gracious as ever. Even the Queen Dowager has been nothing but kind. 

However, the same cannot be said of the Grand Queen Dowager and Consort Nam. The said royal consort in particular hasn’t been shy about her distaste for Mura’s continued presence. But Mura tries not to take it to heart. 

A brand new morning emerges and is no different from the few previous ones. Not initially, at least. Mura, with the help of Madam Choi, has been getting dressed for the day when a maid comes running in her chamber. 

“His Majesty has awaken!” 

Mura and Madam Choi share a sanguine grin. Mura hurriedly finishes dressing herself before taking off in the direction of the central palace.

“Is it true? Has His Majesty truly awakened?” Mura asks a maid upon arriving at the king’s courtyard. 

“Yes, manim. And he appears to be in much better health.”

A joyous smile spreads along Mura’s lips. She is about to hare inside the chambers when she pauses upon noticing several pairs of ladies' shoes neatly perched on the steps. She realizes the King is in the company of the dowagers and his consorts. Not to intrude upon a family gathering, Mura abstains from entering the chambers. Instead, she chooses to wait in the courtyard with Madam Choi by her side for a more appropriate time.

Inside, Baekhyun is surrounded by his mother, grandmother, and the two royal consorts, while he sits in his bed partially reclined against some pillows. Though he appears somewhat exhausted, he no longer seems as though he is at death’s door. Some color has returned to his complexion and his once cracked lips have regained their plumpness. 

Though Baekhyun’s body is healing, he now finds himself with an afflicted soul.

“Do not fret, Chusang, for no stones shall remain unturned in pursuit of that duplicitous snake,” the Grand Queen Dowagers speaks of Jongin. 

“I still fail to fathom that our Prince Jongin could be capable of such profound betrayal,” the Queen Dowager laments. “Have we truly judged him so wrongly all along?”

Baekhyun cannot fathom it either. His beloved brother’s betrayal is an agony that cuts deeper than even the sharpest of blades. The kin he so cherished and revered had in fact been nestling malevolent intent under the guise of brotherly endearment. Unlike his current ailment, Jongin’s deception is an ill from which Baekhyun may never recover.

“I fear I will forever carry with me the burden of his treachery,” Baekhyun murmurs. His mother squeezes his hand to comfort him.

Chonha, you mustn’t trouble yourself with dreadful thoughts when you have barely regained your health.” Hayeon’s words of concern go unreplied by the King. She receives not even a glance. In fact, the King hasn’t acknowledged her even once since her arrival in his bedchamber, as though she were invisible to him. It bothers Hayeon to no end. 

“Nam Sukui is right, Chusang,” the Queen Dowager says. “You must only pour your energy into getting better, nothing else.”

An impossible challenge his mother proposes, but Baekhyun offers her a reassuring smile, nonetheless, so as to not needlessly worry her. “Where is Lady Park?” He then asks. 

Hayeon bristles at the mention of Mura. The Grand Queen Dowager quietly shares her disdain.

“Worry not, she is on palace grounds,” the Queen Dowager answers. “At present in her lodging, very likely.”

“I should like to see her,” Baekhyun says. 

“I will send for her.”

“In private, if you all don’t mind.”

The Queen Dowager gives her son an understanding smile. “As you wish, Chusang.”

Outside, in the courtyard, Mura continues to wait patiently. She then sees the royal ladies of the court make their egress from the King’s chambers. She offers them a bow and Eunbo approaches her with a smile. 

“How is he?” Mura asks her. 

“You will be very pleased to see how far he’s come,” Eunbo says cheerily. 

Mura breathes a relieved sigh.

“Go, he waits for you,” Eunbo tells her. 

From a distance, Hayeon sullenly watches Mura enter the King’s chambers. 

Mura takes a deep breath before the doors to the King’s bedchamber slide open. The King welcomes her with a soft smile as she enters the chamber, the doors closing behind her.

Buin,” Baekhyun greets. 

Chonha,” Mura offers the King a ceremonial bow by folding her hands together and then lifting them to her forehead. She kneels down and lowers herself in prostration before standing back up and finishing the gesture with a half bow. 

“Come, sit.” Baekhyun pats the empty space beside his sleeping mat.

Mura obliges. Words seem lost to her for she utters not a word, much too bashful to be near her fully conscious and aware husband. And it seems the other finds himself in a similar predicament, for the King, too, remains silent, choosing instead to stare at Mura. 

His intense gaze wreaks further havoc on Mura’s current bashful disposition. She feels she must speak on it before it proves too much. “You are staring, Your Majesty?”

“I have escaped death coming to me from every which way, have I not earned the right to stare at the one I have missed so dearly for so many months?”

Mura’s eyes water at the reminder of her husband’s brush with death and she subsequently breaks into a sob. “Indeed you have, my king. You have earned the right to do whatever you wish.”

Baekhyun nestles a gentle hand below his wife’s jaw and with his thumb wipes a drop of tear gliding down her cheek. “Do not cry, my dear. As you can see I am alive and well.”

Mura nods and smiles gently. “These are tears of happiness, my king.”

Baekhyun can’t help but shed a few tears of joy of his own, which Mura wipes off from his face as he did with hers.

And just like that, words no longer elude them as they ease into a steady conversation.

“I was told my survival was due to your heroic efforts,” Baekhyun states. 

“The credit rightfully belongs to Chanyeol oraboni. He appeared at the most crucial moment. Without him, Your Majesty would have been lost to us forever.”

“I have learned of his current circumstances. Do not worry, I shall soon send out an order for his release.”

“Thank you, Chonha.”

“It is rather I, who must thank you. You fearlessly took on my brother in order to protect me. I am eternally grateful to you, Buin.”

“I am but your servant, Your Majesty. It is my duty to ensure your well-being in times of peril.”

“You are no servant of mine. You are my…” Baekhyun pauses to carefully choose his next words. “You are my friend.”

Mura smiles softly. “Then consider it the duty of a friend.”

“It is fine and all, and while I am tremendously grateful for what you have done, I cannot say I am not equally alarmed by it.”

Mura knits her brows. “What do you mean?”

“You have put your life in harm’s way to protect mine, but Buin, things could have unfolded very differently. You could have been harmed, or worse, killed. It was rather foolish of you to take on such a perilous task.”

“I did what the situation required of me.”

“You are not my personal guard, nothing was required of you,” Baekhyun speaks more soberly. His expression hardens.

The idea that Mura could have lost her life that night scares Baekhyun out of his wits. The thought of her coming in contact with even the smallest of dangers, let alone a fatal one, is enough to rattle him to his core. If Mura had died that night and he had survived, there is no doubt in his mind he would have stood today a complete madman. Nothing more than a husk. Or he would have sought his own death. 

“I did what I thought was necessary, and if need be, I would do it again without hesitation,” Mura declares.

“No, you will not!” Baekhyun raises his voice, rendering Mura stunned. “Never again will you endanger yourself for my sake or anyone else’s, for that matter. In the face of danger, you will only run and run as far from it as needed. It is an order from your king!”

Chonha?

Realizing it is not right of him to lose his temper, Baekhyun sighs before taking Mura’s hand. “Swear to me. You must swear to me that you will never again put yourself in harm's way. Please?”

Mura is taken aback by the King’s distress. “I swear, Chonha. Pray, be calm. I swear to you.”

Baekhyun relaxes upon receiving the affirmation. “Thank you, Buin. You have done me a great favor. Thank you.” He then coughs involuntarily, alarming Mura. 

“Perhaps, you had better take a rest. You mustn’t push yourself in your current state.” Mura gestures for him to lie down. 

“Will you stay with me?”

“I shall be right here for as long as you wish.”

“Good.” Baekhyun sighs and closes his eyes. “I suppose I could use a nap.”

“Rest, my king,” are the last words Baekhyun hears before drifting off.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

“I miss Mura manim,” Janshil bemoans as she lingers beside Lady Kim, who sits inside a veranda of the Park home. 

The matriarch hums while gazing at the night sky. “As do I.”

“How do you suppose she is fairing in the palace? I don’t like that she is there all on her own. I wish I had been allowed to stay with her.”

“Her father assures me that she is doing fine. And she has Madam Choi serving her which puts my mind somewhat at ease.”

A manservant then approaches them bearing a basket and a bewildered expression. “Manim,” he addresses matriarch.

“What is it Shindong-ah?” Lady Kim asks the manservant. “What is in that basket?”

The answer to the question comes in the form of a dog’s head abruptly springing out of the basket, startling both Lady Kim and Janshil.

“Shindong-ah, why do you present me with a dog of all things?” The matriarch cries.

“Apologies, manim, but this was left at the front gate.”

“By whom?”

“I do not know, manim. I heard rapping coming from the gate, but when I answered it I found no one, save for this basket with the little dog in it.”

Lady Kim frowns. “How strange. Is this supposed to be some sort of a mischievous prank?” She muses before jumping as the dog lets out a sudden high-pitched bark.

Meanwhile, Janshil keenly observes the small furry animal. Its short stature, long fur, and flat muzzle appear oddly familiar.

“Well prank or not, it cannot stay here,” Lady Kim says. “Release it on the streets. An altruistic pedestrian may have pity on it and take it in. If not, I’m sure it’ll survive just fine on scraps as the other strays.”

“As you wish, manim.” The manservant is about to turn away when Janshil speaks. 

“Wait!” 

“What is it Janshil-ah?” Lady Kim asks.

“If I’m not wrong, I believe this dog belongs to Prince Jongin. Or, it once did.” 

Lady Kim is confounded. “The same dog he would bring with him during his visits?” She then takes a closer look. “Oh my, you may be right, Janshil-ah. But what was it doing at our doorstep?”

“Well, considering the prince is on the run for treason, he may be in no place to care for the animal any longer.”

“So he thought we would care for it? A traitor’s precious pet?” Lady Kim cries. “That man has lost his senses along with his dignity. Take the damn dog away! It can die on the streets for all we care!”

Manim, perhaps we shouldn’t be hasty in ridding of it. Mura manim is quite fond of the animal, and perhaps for that very reason the prince wished it to be left under her care.”

“And why should we honor a traitor’s wishes?” Lady Kim snarls.

Janshil regards the small dog with pity. “We mustn’t blame this innocent little thing for its master’s appalling deeds. Besides, Mura manim wouldn’t wish it to be abandoned so cruelly. We should at least wait for her return to decide upon its fate.”

“I have my reservations, Janshil-ah. It does not feel right to care for a traitor’s pet.”

“Please, for Mura manim’s sake,” Janshil pleads. 

“Aigoo, very well then.” Lady Kim acquiesces. “The dog shall be your responsibility then,” she tells Janshil. “Keep it in the shed for now.”

“Yes, manim.” The manservant bows and leaves, taking the dog with him. 

Lady Kim heaves a long sigh. “Strange times we live in at present, Janshil-ah,” she muses. “Pray, the Heavens have mercy on us.”

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

As per the King’s decree, Chanyeol is finally released from imprisonment and absolved of all accusations. After his release, he goes to his quarters, takes a nice, warm bath, and slips into his uniform before heading in the direction of the central palace to answer the King’s summoning. 

Chonha, Park Naegeumwi has arrived,” a eunuch announces. 

“Send him in.”

The double sliding doors open and the chief personal guard enters the king’s bedchamber to find his master half seated in his bed and in the company of his cousin. 

Chohna,” Chanyeol drawls with a raised voice and performs the ceremonial bow. He then sits on his knees. “Chonha, words cannot sufficiently relay my elation at your improved condition. The Heavens have blessed us with their grace.”

“My dear Chanyeol-ah,” Baekhyun speaks. “you were treated rather unfairly in my absence and were made to endure the burden of a mistake that was entirely my own. Though I do not know if it is enough, I extend to you my sincerest apology.”

Chanyeol is stunned by the King’s apology. He dips his head. “Chonha, you humble this servant of yours for you have nothing to be sorry for. It is rather I, who should be seeking your forgiveness for failing you greatly.”

“How have you failed me? During even the most dire circumstances, you found a way to come to my rescue. I would have been a dead man if it weren’t for your and your cousin’s valiant efforts. I am forever indebted to you.”

Chanyeol prostrates before his master. “Chonha, your grace is immesurable.”

Baekhyun chortles. “At ease, Park Naegeumwi.”

Chanyeol sits upright again. 

“Take a week’s furlough and go home,” Baekhyun tells the personal guard. “You have suffered much, a respite is in order.”

“Forgive me, Your Majesty, but I must humbly decline your thoughtful offer.” 

Baekhyun knits his brows. “Why?”

“This is no time for respite. The insurrection may have been thwarted but we cannot be certain of any other looming danger. I must be by your side at all times in these uncertain times.”

“The palace and I are currently under the formidable protection of the central army. I shall be fine. Please, take a leave. I’m sure your uncle and aunt would appreciate having you home after all they have endured.”

“Please, Chonha, I must implore you to let me stay.”

Buin,” Baekhyun looks to Mura. “will you please tell this stubborn cousin of yours?”

Oraboni,” Mura addresses her cousin. “omoni has been ill with worry for you. Please, heed His Majesty’s words, if not for your own sake then for omoni’s.”

Chanyeol sighs quietly. “Very well, I shall oblige Your Majesty’s command. But a week is far too generous. A day should suffice.”

“Five,” Baekhyun counters. 

“Two, Your Majesty.”

“Three. I will not negotiate any further.”

Chanyeol relents. “Very well, three days it is.”

Upon the conclusion of his audience with the King, Chanyeol takes his leave only to happen upon Consort Yoo in the courtyard.  

Jaga,” he greets the royal consort with a small bow. “I apologize if my audience with His Majesty kept you waiting for long. Please, feel free now to pay your visit.”

“Actually I came to see you,” Eunbo says, doing her very best to not blush.

It takes Chanyeol by surprise. “Me?” Warmth crawls to his cheeks.

“I had been looking for you upon learning about your release and I was told I could find you here.”

“I see. What can I do for you, Jaga? I shall try my best to serve you.”

“Oh, I do not require anything of you. I simply wish to thank you properly. The night of the insurrection, my sense of proprietary was completely replaced with fraught nerves and I had only realized belatedly that I never thanked you for your heroics. I should also apologize for it, I suppose.”

“You mustn’t fret over it. You experienced something harrowing that night. Naturally, propriety should be the farthest thing from one’s mind after such an experience. You owe me neither gratitude nor an apology. In fact, I believe I should have done more to ensure your safety.”

“You are being too harsh on yourself, Park Naegeumwi. Given the circumstances, you did all that you could. What matters most is that we were fortunate enough to come out of the ordeal unharmed.”

Chanyeol gives no response, lowers his gaze instead. 

“I am immensely relieved by your release, Park Naegeumwi. If I may make a request…” Eunbo pauses for a quick moment. “Please, ensure you never find yourself in a similar situation in the future. At least for the sake of those who care about you dearly.”

Again, Chanyeol has no words to offer. Had Consort Yoo been worried for him? As unlikely as the notion may be, it wraps Chanyeol’s heart like a warm quilt. 

He bows as Consort Yoo walks away, taking some of the warmth with her, but leaving behind a hint of her signature scent that Chanyeol relishes. 

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

“How dare you deny me entrance!”

“Apologies, Nam Sukui-jaga, but only a select few are permitted to visit— strict orders from His Majesty.”

Hayeon lifts her chin haughtily at the King’s eunuch. “I am his consort, surely I am one of those select few.”

“I regret to inform that you are not.” The eunuch’s bow deepens. “Forgive me, my lady.”

Hayeon is further incensed. She has come to pay a visit to her monarch husband, but his attendants refuse to even let her pass through the front entrance of his dwelling.  

Hayeon is about to berate the eunuch for simply relaying the King’s orders when from the corner of her eye she catches the tall body of Mura entering the courtyard. 

“And I suppose she is allowed to see His Majesty.”

The eunuch’s gaze nervously flits to Mura before dropping again. “Y-yes, Jaga.”

Hayeon visibly shakes with anger. She can’t believe the King would choose to humiliate her in such a manner. However, she refuses to give Mura the satisfaction of watching her lose composure. She takes the refusal with feigned poise and turns away from the door. 

As Hayeon is about to pass Mura, the latter presents her with a bow. Hayeon’s intent was to simply pass by the other woman with quiet dignity, but she finds herself halting before the other. She is a royal consort to the king of this nation, why should she refrain from speaking her mind to a woman who is her inferior? No, Hayeon will not leave quietly. 

“It is evident His Majesty favors you greatly.”

Mura turns rigid, nervously anticipating the royal consort’s next words. 

“Hence it must have been quite a seamless task to poison his mind with aversion for me.”

Mura is dismayed by the accusation. “Jaga?”

“In retaliation for the allegations I levied upon you and your father all those days ago, I assume?”

“I would never think to do something so devious. And believe me when I say I do not carry a single vindictive bone toward you.”

“His Majesty refuses to see me and speak to me. He won’t even glance in my way. And it all began since your arrival.” Hayeon laments. “You spend with him all hours of the day, who knows what sort of twisted lies you tell him to corrupt his mind.”

Jaga, I swear on my father’s good name I have neither spoken nor done anything to besmirch His Majesty’s opinion of you.” Consort Nam appears as though she’s close to tears and Mura hates to think she’s the reason for it. “Tell me, Jaga, what can I do to put your mind at ease?”

“Leave,” Hayeon says bluntly. “Surely, you are not blind to the distress your presence causes me. I wish to be by His Maj— my husband’s side, and I cannot do so if that place beside him is already occupied by another. Hence, please, I urge that you leave and return my husband to me.” With that, Eunbo walks away. 

The words spoken by the royal consort weigh heavy on Mura. She understands the other’s grievances. After all, Mura is not of the royal court. Not anymore. She is an outsider encroaching on the privileges that rightfully belong to Consort Nam and Consort Yoo.

Mura enters the King’s bedchamber to find a table full of food placed near the King that appears to be untouched. 

“Here, at last. You have kept me waiting quite a while this morning, Buin.”

The King’s words bring a smile to Mura’s face. To hear that he had been waiting patiently for her arrival tickles her belly with swarms of butterflies.

“Have you yet to eat, Your Majesty?” Mura takes a seat next to her husband.

Baekhyun, who remains half lying in his bed, nods. “I’m afraid I do not have much of an appetite. Especially, for meals as unsavory as this one.” He points at the food with his gaze. 

Mura chuckles. “Well, that is because it is meant to be consumed for its medicinal properties and not for its savoriness. And I’m afraid I will not have you miss a meal. You are still recovering, you must eat every last bite of it.”

Baekhyun groans. “Under one condition.”

Mura’s brow arches with intrigue.

“You must feed me yourself.” Baekhyun smiles with a childlike enthusiasm. 

“You may not have regained full health, but you are perfectly capable of using your own hands to feed yourself, my king.”

“I shall only eat from your hand, or I won’t eat, at all. That is my condition,” Baekhyun declares. 

And who is Mura to deny him when he’s being so endearing? And so she begins to feed Baekhyun and he takes each bite with agony. He wouldn’t wish such foul-tasting food even on his enemy. But it is all he is served lately in the name of medicine. 

It didn’t take long at all for Mura and Baekhyun to slip into the usual rapport that they had built before their separation. It is almost as if they never parted, to begin with. Three days have come to pass since Baekhyun came to and these three days, he and Mura have been inseparable. 

Mura has been a great source of comfort for Baekhyun while he lamented over Jongin’s betrayal. But it hadn’t been all sad and morose. They shared laughter, as well, along with anecdotes from their time apart. And reminiscenced their time together. Much has been exchanged between them, but their hearts’ true desires still remain unsaid. 

In spite of the circumstances, these three days have been most extraordinary— a small patch of meadow in a barren land. Which is precisely why it pains Mura to say what she is about to.

Chonha, I think it is time I return home.” 

Baekhyun’s expression instantly turns serious. 

“I had told myself I would stay until your health has improved, and seeing as you are recovering quite well, I now feel content enough to leave.”

“And if I were to ask you to stay?”

“Then I must plead with you to not do so.” 

Of course, Mura wishes nothing more than to be by the King’s side, but she can no longer ignore the tension brewing in court caused by her prolonged presence. She cannot continue to be selfish. Sooner or later, she’ll have to leave. 

Disappointed, Baekhyun swallows the knot in his throat. “Buin, I am quite curious about something.”

“What is it, my king?”

“Have you ever, even for a fleeting moment, found yourself thinking of me while we were apart?”

“Of course. You are my king and my friend, you are always in my thoughts.”

“Not as your king. Not even as your friend. But… but as your man?”

Mura’s heart begins to pace wildly. Why would the King ask such a question? “I do not understand…” She wonders if he became privy to her feelings for him.

“Lest you haven’t then if I ask you to think of me in that manner can you find it in yourself to oblige me?”

Mura is positively baffled. What is the King implying? “Chonha?

“I have kept it in me for far too long, but no more.”

Mura continues to be baffled.

“I love—” Baekhyun chokes. “I love you, Buin.”

Mura’s rapidly pacing heart ceases to a halt. Did she hear him right?

“I love you not only as a king, or as a friend, but also as a man. I love you most ardently; most passionately. I have loved you for a long time. I have loved you while we were together. I have loved you, in agony, while were apart. And I love you today more than ever before.”

Mura feels faint. She feels dizzy. Her heart must have truly stopped. 

“I have lived in relentless anguish in your absence. Without you, even breathing proved to be an impossible task. I yearned for you so fiercely, I dreamt only of you at night, and in the day I was haunted by visions of you. It was maddening and I fear I cannot return to that state. I can no longer bear to live like that. Hence can you take pity on me and free me of this torment? Even if a little, can you perhaps learn to love me?” Baekhyun chokes. “P-please?”

Mura is close to losing her composure. The King’s words— confession— are proving much too overwhelming on her nerves. She is being inundated with an array of emotions and is struggling to maintain her faculties. She gets up on her wobbly legs and dashes out without a word to spare.

Baekhyun watches Mura disappear through the doorway. Words aren’t necessary, her action is answer enough and it is devastating. Tears flood Baekhyun’s eyes before they overflow in rivulets.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

A/N: Omg, Baek finally confessed!!! But Mura just walked away? What is happening??? Don't rip your hair off :P