(sa)

Peach Blossom Promises

Chonha, Princess Hwa-In requests an audience with you presently,” Samnom informs his master upon entering the royal office.

“Send her in,” Baekhyun tells him. 

Hwa-In enters the office hall and gracefully approaches the King, who sits in his royal seat. “Chonha,” she greets her monarch brother with a bow. 

“How may I help you, Gongju?”

Chonha, as you know the queen’s court is intending upon my marriage, and a groom selection procedure is due to be held soon.”

“Yes.”

“I beseech you to halt the selection procedure, for as you very well know I already have someone in my heart whom I wish to marry.”

“You speak of Kim Jongdae?”

“Yes.”

“I’m afraid that is not possible.”

Hwa-In sinks to her knees. “Chonha, I beg of you!”

“Might I remind you that Kim Jongdae has been disowned by his clan? He is no longer of the noble class. A royal princess cannot be wedded to a man of lowly status.”

“Yes, I am aware. Hence why I plead with you to speak with the patriarch of the Kim family and persuade him to reinstate his son in the clan. Surely, he wouldn’t be able to deny the King.”

“Just because I am the King that does not mean I am at liberty to stick my nose in the family matters of my subjects without regard for their boundaries. I refuse to misemploy my authority thusly.”

Chonha!” Hwa-In pleads.

Gongju, stop it! I won’t do it.”

Hwa-In’s eyes blaze with fiery indignation as she glowers at her brother. “Then I no longer wish to be a princess. I appeal to you to strip me of my royal title and demote me to a commoner.”

Baekhyun exhales in exasperation. “Do not be foolish, Gongju.”

“I mean it!”

“You do not have say in such matters. I decline your appeal.”

Oraboni, pray, extend some grace to your sister.” The burning indignation is gone from Hwa-In’s eyes, replaced with tears. “I love him. I cannot marry another.”

“Love?” Baekhyun chuckles in derision. “Unions aren’t formed upon love. They are formed upon agreements between two families. That is especially true for royals. We royals do not have the luxury to be in love, much less marry for it. You are a child no more, Hwa-In-ah. You are a grown woman of twenty years, you will do better as to no longer adhere to such unrealistic ideals of marriage. You shall marry whoever the queen’s court chooses to be fit. I will entertain your tantrums no further. You may leave.”

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Hwa-In weeps alone in her chamber. Crying her pain away only for that pain to return has become a ritual of sorts for the Princess over the past eleven months. She fervidly misses Jongdae with whom she hasn’t had any communication since the day they had last met and were subsequently found out. 

Hwa-In blames herself for everything that transpired— for Jongdae’s imprisonment and his disownment. And now she is to be married off to another man. If she hadn’t dreamt of loving Jongdae and being loved by him, this all could have been avoided. Jongdae would not have been cast away by his family and she would have happily accepted a marriage arranged by her family.

Gongju-mama, Yiseo agasshi has come for a visit.”

“Yiseo unnie1?” Hwa-In murmurs. She quickly wipes away her tears. “Send her in.”

A young woman enters the princess’ chamber and bows in greeting. “Gongju-mama.”

Hwa-In pastes a smile on her lips. “Yiseo unnie, what a pleasant surprise! Come, have a seat.”

Yiseo happily takes a seat opposite the Princess. The young lady is the Queen Dowager’s niece, making her the Princess’ maternal cousin. The two have shared a close bond since childhood. Having been of similar age— Yiseo being merely a year older than her royal cousin— they grew up as companions.

“How are you, Mama?” Yiseo notices something amiss on her cousin’s countenance. “Have you been crying?”

Hwa-In blinks nervously upon getting caught. She feigns a chuckle. “No, nothing of that sort.”

Yiseo pouts. “You dare lie to me?”

Hwa-In gives her a dismissive smile. “It is nothing of note, unnie. You mustn’t worry. What we must discuss, however, is your impending wedding. You didn’t even send me a missive to inform me of it. I had to learn it from omamama.” 

Yiseo turns bashful upon the topic of her marriage being brought up. “Apologies, Mama. I thought it best to tell you in person.” 

Hwa-In coos at her cousin. “Getting shy, I see.”

“Oh, you mustn’t tease me!”

Hwa-In laughs. “Very well. Has a date been selected for the auspicious day?”

Yiseo nods. “It is to be held in a fortnight.”

“Well, do not keep me in suspense. Tell me about my cousin-in-law-to-be!”

“His name is Kyungsoo… Doh Kyungsoo,” Yiseo supplies. 

Hwa-In’s breath gets caught in at the mention of the familiar name. “Doh Kyungsoo?”

Yiseo nods. She then proceeds to reveal more about her betrothed. “He is also a maternal cousin of the deposed Crown Princess. Isn’t it interesting? Hanyang can be so big yet so small.” She finishes.

“Indeed,” Hwa-In murmurs, distracted by her own thoughts.

“What is the matter, Mama? There’s certainly something that is troubling you. Come now, share your woes with your dear cousin.”

“Let us not spoil a happy moment with my woes.”

Yiseo tsks and gives her cousin a chastising look.

Hwa-In sighs. “There’s something I have kept from you, unnie.”

“What is it, Mama?”

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

 

The day of Kyungsoo’s wedding arrives. The Doh household bustles with last-moment preparations before the wedding procession is scheduled to make its way to the bride’s home, where the ceremony will occur. 

Chanyeol enters the Doh estate and is on his way to Kyungsoo’s chamber when he happens upon Mura and her mother, his aunt, who is also his adoptive mother.

“Chanyeol-ah, you have arrived.” Lady Kim greets him. “Aigoo, how long has it been since we last saw you? If it weren’t for today’s occasion, we would have likely gone even longer without meeting. Do try to visit your mother every now and then, hm? At this rate, I fear I might forget your face.”

Chanyeol lowers his head in apology. “Forgive me, omoni. I have been a neglectful son.”

“I understand being the chief royal guard to the King affords you very little time. I just miss you, that’s all,” Lady Kim expresses. “At any rate, I get to have you near me today and that should suffice.” She smiles and gently pats her adoptive son’s cheek. “Were you on your way to see Kyungsoo-ah?”

“Yes.”

“Go on then. We’ll be on our way to the bride’s house soon.”

“Ver well, omoni.”

“I’ll come with you,” Mura says. 

She and Chanyeol part with Lady Kim for now and walk toward Kyungsoo’s chamber. 

“She truly does miss you,” Mura says. “So do I.” 

“Forgive me.”

“I understand. As omoni mentioned, being the King’s chief guard hardly allows you time for leisure.”

“I shall make it up to you both in the near future.”

“Speaking of the King.” Mura’s voice nearly becomes a whisper. “How is His Majesty?”

“He is well. As well as his position allows him, I suppose.” Chanyeol pauses. “Although…” 

Mura grows a little alarmed “What is it?”

Chanyeol shakes his head. “Never you mind.” Whatever it is he was intending on saying he decides against it. 

Mura nods, wondering what the other was about to say. She hopes the King is well and truly doing well. 

They enter Kyungsoo’s chamber, where they also find Minseok, Junmyeon, and Sehun present. Mura can’t be sure of the others, but she certainly feels the absence of Jongdae. Chanyeol greets his soon-to-be-wedded cousin with a loving embrace and congratulates him.

In accordance with the Choson wedding custom, the groom is dressed in a government official uniform— a blue silk robe with a square emblem consisting of an embroidered white goose stitched to the chest and a black samo hat.

“Kyungsoo-ah,” Minseok addresses. “Tell us the truth… is this marriage happening against your will?”

“Of course not,” Kyungsoo answers firmly. 

“Then would it hurt for you to smile a little?”

The room laughs at Minseok’s joke, with the exception of the bridegroom, who indeed appears as though he rather be elsewhere.

“Perhaps, he’s reserving it for his bride.” Mura teases.

“He better, otherwise he is sure to scare the poor girl away,” Sehun adds. 

The room laughs again while Kyungsoo remains stoic. He does not appreciate being the subject of their humor. 

The wedding procession eventually sets off for the bride’s house. The bridegroom travels there on horseback, led by flagbearers and musicians playing celebratory tunes with drums and trumpets. 

Upon arriving at the bride’s house, Mura strays away from the bridegroom’s wedding party in search of a well for some drinking water.

“Which one do you suppose is the deposed Crown Princess?”

Mura stops upon hearing a woman from the bride’s side ask the woman next to her. 

“I do not know,” the other woman responds. “It isn’t as if we could ask either.”

“I’ve heard she was a spinster when she was chosen for the Crown Princess’ position. I’m amazed the royal family accepted a spinster to become their future queen. Surely, she remained unmarried for as long as she did for a reason and that very well may have been why she was deposed.”

“I’ve heard she was deposed for failing to conceive a royal child.” 

The other woman tuts. “She should have remained a spinster. She is as good as a widow now, which is far worse if you ask me.”

Mura inhales a deep breath to compose herself. She mustn’t allow such talk to affect her. Especially during such a happy occasion. She rejoins her party by the altar and waits with them for the bride’s arrival.

Witnessing the wedding ritual takes Mura back to the day of her own wedding. She remembers how frightened and unwilling she had been on that day. However, all of the precious moments she had since shared with her husband now make her think back to her wedding day with fondness. Despite their marriage proving unsuccessful in the end, their short-lived relationship was at least a happy one. Mura harbors no regret from their union, for her husband had taught her the unconditional love a woman could feel for a man--- something she now cherishes. She would gladly resign herself to the life of a widow all over again if it meant her husband got to live on as he is now, and she got to relive the time she shared with him.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

“Is anyone present?”

Jongdae in his chamber hears someone calling from outside. He frowns. He does not get any visitors apart from Mura and that deep masculine voice definitely does not belong to her. In fact, the voice sounds awfully like someone else Jongdae knows. Or used to know. He goes outside and is stunned by who he sees. 

Kyungsoo with his hands folded behind his back stands in his courtyard, offering a polite smile.

“How may I help you, nauri2? Have you lost your way by chance?” Jongdae speaks with a mocking formal tone.  

“No, I am precisely where I intended to be.”

Jongdae snorts. “What brings you here?”

“I’ll tell you if you allow me to have a seat.”

Jongdae motions for the other to have a seat on a wooden daybed in his courtyard. “So, what’s the reason for this unusual visit?”

“Will you not congratulate me on my marriage?”

“Maybe if I had been invited to the wedding.”

“Now, why would I willingly spoil an auspicious day with your presence?”

Tch,” Jongdae and the other then share a smirk. He goes and joins his cousin on the daybed. “Congratulations.” 

“Thank you.”

“Is she pretty?”

“Quite.”

"Do you fancy her?"

"I do."

“Does she fancy you?”

“That I do not know. We’ve been wedded for merely four days.”

“Enough time for her to regret the union,” Jongdae quips.

Kyungsoo chuckles. “I wish to apologize.”

“For not inviting me to the wedding?”

“For how I have treated you these past several months.”

Jongdae hums. 

“It’s just that…I warned you. I told you not to be foolish. For once, I wish you would have heeded my words.”

Jongdae heaves a sigh. “I know. My arrogance got the best of me.”

“Now, look, where it got you.”

Jongdae nods in agreement. 

This is all it takes for the two to bury the hatchet. They proceed to speak for a while, catching up with each other. Later, as they bid farewell, Kyungsoo draws out an envelope from his sleeve pocket and hands it to Jongdae.

“What is this?”

“A letter… from Princess Hwa-In.”

Jongdae’s eyes grow wide in astonishment. “H-how?”

“My wife happens to be the Queen’s niece. She and the Princess are quite close.”

“Oh, how strange.”

“I’m certain I am committing a crime by mediating correspondence between you and the Princess, but my bride insisted upon it and I couldn’t refuse her.”

“I appreciate it, Kyungsoo-ah.”

 “I do not know the contents of the letter, but whatever it is, Jongdae-ah, I hope this time you won’t do anything foolish.”

Jongdae nods. 

“I shall return in three days to collect your response. Take care until then.”

“You as well. Give my regards to your bride.”

The two share a small smile before parting. Jongdae stares at the envelope in his hand as his heart hammers against his chest. He is so overjoyed he could cry. 

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Once she finds an opportune time and is all alone in her chamber, Hwa-In proceeds to open the letter sent by Jongdae through her cousin and her husband. The newly married pair had visited her earlier. Upon learning that Doh Kyungsoo was the man that her cousin was marrying, Hwa-In sought her cousin's help in relaying a letter to Kim Jongdae. In the letter, she had proposed to him that they elope, flee far north, and create a life of their own in secret. She had stressed that there was no other way for them to be together. Hopeful, Hwa-In reads the content of the letter. 

 

Drops of tears wet the piece of parchment in Hwa-In’s hands. How easily and cruelly the man she loves so deeply has dismissed her. She lights the letter on fire inside a small pot and watches it burn; with it, the last bit of hope she harbored turns to ash as well.

Hwa-In isn’t certain how long she spent dwelling in misery. Perhaps a few hours. Having decided firmly upon her next course of action, she opens the drawer to her desk and retrieves a pair of scissors. 

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

The Queen Dowager practically runs in the direction of Princess Hwa-In’s quarters in utter distress. As soon as the Princess’ chamber door is opened on the dowager’s arrival and she takes one look at her daughter, the dowager lets out a cry of horror at what she sees. The Princess has chopped off her hair, leaving just the shortest of length. 

“What have you done, Gongju?” The Queen Dowager cries hysterically. 

Under the Confucius belief— which the royalty and the nobility of Choson strictly adhere to— hair is regarded to be a precious gift granted by one’s parents and should never be cut. Cutting it is perceived as a sign of disrespect to one’s parents and an act of great shame. 

“Pray, allow me to join the nunnery, omamama. I wish to dedicate the rest of my days to the preservation and dissemination of Buddha’s teachings,” Eunbo says with stoic resignation. 

The Queen Dowager collapses to her knees— her daughter’s blasphemous action proving too much for her frail nerves. She laments pitifully. 

In the end, this act of rebellion accomplishes what Hwa-In had hoped for. Marriage is now out of the question. The royal family cannot possibly marry off a princess with missing hair to a respectable man for the fear of bringing shame and embarrassment to the royal court. 

The King surrenders to the Princess’ protests and allows her to join the nunnery, despite serious objections from Queen Dowager and Grand Queen Dowager. But, Baekhyun is confident that her sister won’t be able to endure the hardships of the nunnery for long and soon enough would come crawling back to the comfort of the palace. But Hwa-In is determined to prove her brother wrong. He, along with others, fails to understand the true depths of her feelings. She will rather spend her life abstaining from riches and worldly pleasures than marry someone other than Kim Jongdae.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

Translations:

1. Unnie: a term used by a female to address an older female.

2. Nauri: sir.