(sam)

Peach Blossom Promises

Eunbo deftly moves the paintbrush between her fingers along the parchment laid out on a desk before her. Once she has finished, she regards the end result with a smile, pleased at her creation— a painting of beautiful crimson camellias hanging from a branch. 

Agasshi1.” A handmaid enters Eunbo’s chamber. “Agasshi, come outside right away. A royal messenger has come bearing an order from the palace.”

Eunbo’s heart stops for a moment. So does her breath. She nervously gets up and walks outside to her porch where she is met with the presence of the royal messenger standing in her yard. 

The messenger unfurls the scroll in his hand and proceeds to read from it. “By the royal decree, Yoo Eunbo, daughter of Scholar Yoo Jwageun, has been selected to become a royal consort to His Majesty, the King. In seven days' time, she will be taken to the detached palace, where she is to remain for a period of twenty days to be educated on royal customs and etiquette prior to entering the royal palace, where she shall be officially inducted. Yoo Eunbo, accept the royal command, face north in the direction of the royal palace, and send your gratitude to His Majesty.”

Eunbo obeys and turns in the direction of the royal palace. She proceeds to perform the formal deep bow. She raises her hands, and folds them together in front of her forehead, before kneeling and bowing halfway. She then stands back up and finishes the ritual with a forty-five-degree bow. 

Chonha, your grace is immeasurable.”

Those words of gratitude taste rather insincere on Eunbo's tongue. They are as hollow as her emotions at present. A part of her expected this to be her fated outcome. But another part of her had hoped that fate would hand her a different outcome than the one expected. Regret consumes her as she thinks if she could travel to the past, she would not encourage her father to proffer her name in the royal bride selection process. 

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

“Praise the heavens, I had been desperately waiting for this day.” Hayeon cheerfully enters her chamber, followed by her mother. “Oh, omoni, my prayers have been answered, at last! I am to be His Majesty’s consort! Pinch me so I know it isn't  a dream.”

Nam Hayeon, the daughter of War Minister Nam, can hardly contain her joy. Mere moments ago she received a royal decree that she has been chosen to become a consort to the King. Following her failure to secure the position of the crown princess during the bride selection process, the young lady slipped into a state of unimaginable despair. She had been so close to becoming the consort to the then Crown Prince, the man she has loved deeply since her juvenile years, having secured a place in the final stage of the selection process. However, fortune was not in her favor. Since then she has been praying and wishing that she may at least be appointed as a royal concubine. And it seems fortune has finally favored her. 

Lady Jun, Hayeon’s mother, grins at her daughter. “It is no dream, my dear child. Did I not say, in good time, you shall receive what you desire the most? All you needed to do was wait patiently. Now, look at you, my lovely...” She affectionately cups her daughter’s face “You are to become a royal consort to the King. You shall bring great honor to our family.”

Hayeon’s grin widens briefly before diminishing. “Although I wish I had been the only one chosen for the position.”

“Oh, dear, he is the King. He may very likely take many more concubines in the future. You must learn to share.”

The thought of it sends a burning indignation through Hayeon’s veins. “I am aware. I simply wish I had the advantage of being the only consort seeking to earn His Majesty’s favor for the time being. But alas, I must compete with the other one for his affection.” 

“Oh, that other girl is no competition to you, my child. I had caught a glimpse of her once and let me tell you, her beauty pales in comparison to your stunning looks. Hence, you are already at an advantage. Moreover, no woman could possibly adore the King in the same manner as you. Once His Majesty takes notice of your ardent adoration for him, he is sure to fall for all your incredible charms.”

“I pray that you are right, omoni. There is nothing I covet more than his affection.”

“And you are already on the right path. Having said that, I do have a few words of counsel. You must navigate yourself with utmost caution in the royal court. Be cunning but not reckless. Never engage in petty harem squabble. Nothing repels a man more than a woman who tends to draw in trouble. Do not display any manner of jealousy. It is not tolerated by the royal court and it may very well cost your position as a royal consort. Even if you feel it, you must chew it up and swallow it down. If you wish to gain and keep His Majesty’s favor you must be the paragon of grace and forbearance. Heed your mother’s words, Hayeon-ah. All right?”

Hayeon nods obediently. “Yes, omoni. I shall practice as you say.”

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

 

Ultimately, the queen’s court decided upon designating both young ladies it had on waiting from the final stage of the crown prince's bride selection process as royal consorts to the King, who voiced no objection to the proposed appointment of two concubines rather than one. 

To Baekhyun, it matters not if he is made to take one concubine or a hundred. Once he produces an heir, he won’t be obligated to engage with them.

Following the twenty-day royal customs education in the detached palace, the day of the royal concubine investiture ceremony arrives. 

The concubines-to-be are dressed in wonsam, ceremonial garb for women with distinctive wide sleeves. Their hair is styled in tteoguji meori, a royal ceremonial hairdo that involves a chignon, an embellished, oval-shaped braided wig around the head, and a large wooden accessory, carved to mimic the wings of a butterfly, fastened to the crown of the head. The concubines-to-be are then transported from the detached palace to their new place of residence, the royal palace, where the ceremony is to be held.

Investiture ceremonies of royal concubines are rather small affairs. Today’s ceremony takes place on a spring afternoon, in one of the courtyards of the royal palace grounds, and in the presence of the Grand Queen Dowager, Queen Dowager, several high-ranking court ladies, and court maids. Even though royal concubines are granted the distinction of secondary consorts and are lawfully bound in marriage to the King, the King’s presence in the ceremony is not required. 

The two royal concubines-to-be stand squarely before the two dowager queens with their hands folded together and extending away from their chests in a ceremonial stance, waiting to be inducted.

“I, Queen Jangsun,” the Queen Dowager reads the royal proclamation from the scroll in her possession. “Hereby induct Lady Hayeon of Nam clan and Lady Eunbo of Yoo clan as royal consorts of the second-junior rank to His Majesty, the King, and bestow you the title of Sukui.” 

With the help of their respective attendants, the newly appointed royal consorts bow before the dowager queens and express their gratitude. Then as part of the ritual, the consorts kneel and bow in front of the ikseongwan, the King’s crown, that sits on a decorated pedestal.

Hayeon is over the moon. She is at last wedded to the man she has longed for years. She takes a side glance at her sister-wife and regards her with a discreet sneer, but then decides she won’t allow the other’s presence to spoil this blissful and blessed day. 

Eunbo, on the other hand, does not share her sister-wife’s celebratory spirit. Nonetheless, she accepts her fate and vows to fulfill all her duties as expected of her for the sake of maintaining her family’s good name. 

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Mura sits alone on her porch under the moonlit sky. The day had felt strange. It had felt heavy; somber. Mura stares at the moon, at its fullness and its blemishes. It seems to somehow know when she feels the loneliest, for it often appears on such nights, and she’s grateful for it 

Janshil appears and places a coat over her mistress. “Manim, it is quite chilly. Perhaps you should head inside.”

“Today the palace welcomed the King’s concubines,” Mura states ignoring her maid’s words. 

Janshil regards her with pity. 

“I hope that they serve the King in ways I was unable to. I pray they bring him happiness and give him many healthy offsprings.”

Even though her mistress’ words are well-meaning and sincere, Janshil can detect a hint of sadness in her voice.

“Do you suppose if I had laid with the King and conceived his child as I was meant to, he would have kept me by his side?” Mura asks.

“I’d like to think His Majesty perceived you as more than a mere carrier of his future children.” 

“Well, I can’t help but feel His Majesty perceived me as not much at all.” Mura heaves a gentle sigh. “You were right, it is quite chilly indeed.” She gets up. “You, too, should retire for the night,” she tells her lady’s maid before retreating inside her chambers.

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

 

Hayeon and Eunbo walk on the palace paths side by side, followed by their respective retinue.

“I must warn you, my talents in the kitchen are quite superb. The dish that I have prepared is sure to triumph over yours.” Hayeon boasts. 

“I hadn’t known we were engaging in a competition,” Eunbo says dryly. “What would the prize be? A position in the royal kitchen staff? A definite demotion from royal consort, if you ask me. I must say, I did not peg you for a woman of such humble ambitions.”

Hayeon laughs insincerely. “You’re humor is quite… something, Yoo Sukui.”

"I'm pleased you find me amusing."

The two ladies share a feigned smile before it vanishes as soon as they face away from each other.

There is no love lost between these two. Hayeon regards Eunbo as a rival with a treasury of sarcastic remarks that never ceases to infuriate her. Whereas, Eunbo perceives Hayeon to be haughty and a know-it-all. 

They arrive in front of the King’s quarters. This afternoon is to be their first audience with the King since they entered the palace the day before. 

One of his ladies-in-waiting receives them with a bow. “Nam Sukui-jaga2, Yoo Sukui-jaga, please wait, the King will receive you shortly.”

While the concubines wait, Eunbo catches Chanyeol stepping out of the King’s quarters and station himself by the entrance. Their eyes meet briefly before Chanyeol drops his gaze. 

The quickening of the heart that Eunbo experienced when she had first encountered the royal guard, makes its return. She is instantly reminded of the man’s alluring masculinity with his exceptionally tall form and mysterious aura that pulled her in. There was a subtle intimidating quality to him. But Eunbo must admit, Park Chanyeol appears even more intimidating today in his royal guard uniform. Even more handsome. 

Eunbo immediately scolds herself in her mind for daring to have such thoughts about a man when she is married to another. She must learn to restrain her thoughts when it comes to Park Chanyeol. She must not think of him, at all. She has spent far too much time doing so in the past, but she can no longer allow herself to continue.

The King’s lady-in-waiting finally informs the consorts that they may enter his quarters. They pass Chanyeol as they go through the front door, and Eunbo shares another quick glance with the King’s chief royal guard before stepping inside.

Chonha, may the consorts enter?” Samnom asks his master as they all stand before the closed door of the King’s chamber. 

Bring them in.” They hear the King say. 

Hayeon’s heart paces uncontrollably with anticipation. She and Eunbo enter the chamber with their gaze lowered. The two offer their bows before a court lady signals them to assume the two vacant floor cushions. The concubines sit facing the King in the middle of the chamber. 

With a soft, bashful smile, Hayeon gently lifts her gaze and takes a glance at her monarch husband. The King sits dignified with his eyes lowered. He isn’t sparing a single glance at her and Hayeon decides that simply won’t do.

Chonha,” Hayeon’s address forces the King to look at her. She smiles. “Have you been well?”

“Yes, quite well. Thank you,” Baekhyun answers tersely. A short pause follows before he speaks again. “I hope you both find your new living conditions in the palace agreeable.”

“Most agreeable, Chonha,” Eunbo responds. “We thank you for your generosity.”

Chonha,” Hayeon addresses. “I would like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to you for bestowing me the honor of serving you as your consort.”

“Indeed. It is an honor for both of us to be able to serve you personally,” Eunbo adds.

An uncomfortable hush falls upon the room as the King provides no following response to his concubines’ declarations of gratitude. They mean nothing to him. He does not even wish to be here.

Chonha,” Madam Hong, the King’s chief lady-in-waiting, cuts the silence. “Shall we serve the meals?”

“Yes.” 

“The consorts have each prepared a dish for today’s luncheon,” Madam Hong informs as the food is being served to the King and his concubines. “Consort Yoo has prepared the steamed tofu with seasoned minced beef.”

“It is a family recipe that has been handed down for generations from my maternal side. I hope Your Majesty finds it to his liking,” Eunbo states. 

“And the dumpling soup has been prepared by Consort Nam,” Madam Hong informs her master. 

“I was told it is Your Majesty’s favorite dish,” Hayeon states. “I hope it is to your taste.”

The concubines wait for the King to take the first bite before they may take their own.

Baekhyun first takes a bite of Consort Yoo’s steamed tofu with minced beef. “It is delicious,” he compliments halfheartedly. 

“Thank you, Chonha,” Eunbo expresses dipping her head slightly in gratitude.

Baekhyun then tastes Consort Nam’s dumpling soup.

“How is it, Chonha?” Hayeon inquires expectantly. 

 

 

“Choha, how is it?” The Crown Princess inquires

Baekhyun barely manages to swallow the less-than-appetizing taste of what is meant to be a dumpling. “Sejabin, if you despise me then just say it so. Why punish me with such insipid food?”

Mura’s expression switches to a surly one. “I had put such effort into preparing this. It tasted perfectly fine when I tasted it earlier!”

“Then perhaps you should have it.” Baekhyun passes the bowl of dumpling soup to his consort’s table.

“Don’t mind if I do.”

“Very well, go on.”

The reluctance in the Crown Princess’ expression before she takes a spoonful full of the dumpling soup does not go unnoticed by Baekhyun. He tries to stifle a mocking smile. 

“Mmm, how delectable,” the Crown Princess remarks. “Something must be amiss with your taste buds, Choha.”

It is clear as day that the Crown Princess is feigning her enjoyment. “Is it so? Then surely you won’t mind finishing the entire thing.”

“Of course not.” The Crown Princess offers a disingenuous smile before it vanishes from her lips and she mutters something under her breath.

“Pardon?” Baekhyun asks. 

“Nothing,” the Crown Princess says with an awkward chuckle. 

“Enjoy the fruit of your labor then,” Baekhyun says before filling himself with the other dishes laid out on the table; occasionally catching amused glimpses of his consort struggling to consume her own cooking.

 

 

Chonha?” 

Baekhyun returns to the present moment after getting briefly distracted by the memory of the deposed Crown Princess. 

Chonha, is the soup not to your liking?” Hayeon queries with concern.

“I’m afraid I must take my leave,” Baekhyun says. “I remembered something of great importance that I must deal with at once.”

“I beg your pardon?” Hayeon murmurs. 

Baekhyun gets up. “You are welcome to finish your meals in my chamber.” He then proceeds to walk away.

Ch—” Hayeon disappointedly watches the King walks past her. “Chonha?” Her face contorts as though she is on the brink of crying. 

“It seems that coveted position in the royal kitchen would have to wait,” Eunbo remarks.

Hayeon shoots her a glare. “Yoo Sukui!” 

Eunbo finds her sister-wife’s flaming reaction rather amusing. “I’m merely trying to cheer you with my humor, Nam Sukui, since you have previously expressed fondness for it.”

Hayeon utters a vexed groan. “I have lost my appetite. I wish to return to my quarters.” She gets up and storms out of the room as her retinue scurries behind her. 

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

“I was thrilled when I received word that you wished to have tea with me, Dewangdaebi-mama,” Hayeon expresses to the Grand Queen Dowager, who has invited Hayeon to her chamber for some tea.

The elder gives a pleased grin. “I had been quite impressed with you in the past, thus I wish to learn more about you.”

“It is an honor, Mama.”

The Grand Queen Dowager smiles before taking a sip of her tea. “As a little girl, you had been a pupil of the former queen, correct?” 

“That is correct, Mama,” Hayeon confirms. 

“You must have paid a great deal of attention to the former queen’s teachings. I was quite impressed with your knowledge during the bride selection process.”

Hayeon smiles. “I have always strived to be a dignified woman of Choson. The Queen Dowager’s teachings were of most value to me.”

When the Queen Dowager had been the Queen Consort,  she held lectures in the palace for any participating young daughters of the court officials, teaching the young girls about womanly virtues. When Hayeon was thirteen her father decided she should attend the Queen’s lecture and it was on the day of one of these lectures that Hayeon first beheld the sight of a fifteen-year-old Crown Prince Hwanjong.

She was mesmerized by him from the very first sight and following that day every time she came to the palace to attend the Queen’s lecture, she would try to steal any opportunity she could get for a moment with the Crown Prince, who humored her with small conversations here and there, but never returned her romantic interest. In spite of it, Hayeon resolved to marry the Crown Prince and no other. 

Now, all these years later, that young prince has become the King and Hayeon finds her dreams realized.

“I’ve heard that the King abruptly left yesterday’s luncheon,” the Grand Queen Dowager states.

“The King had urgent matters to attend to,” Hayeon responds. 

“You must have been disappointed.”

“I dare not, Mama,” Hayeon lies. “The King’s official duties come above all others. I admire his dedication to his duties.”

“Yes, the King is nothing if not diligent about his duties. Though I worry for him.” The dowager sighs. “The King appears to be quite troubled. The late king’s sudden death has had a grave impact on him. Coupled with the heavy responsibilities of a king, it all had made him quite forbidding and icy. It isn’t good for a soul to be this way at all times.”

“Do not fret, Mama, leave it to me. I shall devote myself to melting that icy shell of His Majesty.”

“Is that so?” The Grand Queen Dowager quirks an eyebrow, curious. “Do you believe you can accomplish such a task?”

“I believe the adoration and respect I harbor for His Majesty can move even mountains.”

The elder chuckles. “Oh my, I had not known of your adoration for my grandson until now. It pleases me to hear that and gives me satisfaction in knowing we selected the right person to be his consort.”

A gentle smile forms on Hayeon’s lips.

 “Well then, I shall rely upon you to bring about the much-needed change in the King’s heart.”

Hayeon dips her head in gratitude. “I am grateful for your trust in me, Dewangdaebi-mama.”

 

 

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝

 

 

Translations:

1. Agasshi: miss

2. Sukui-jaga: Sukui- title given to a second-junior rank concubine. Jaga-your/her excellency.

 

 

 

A/N: Baekhyun gets a buy one get one free deal with his concubines lol. Yes, he is now officially married to two more women. Who saw it coming?

Was anyone surprised by Eunbo getting picked? She and Chanyeol ended even before they had the chance to begin??

Hayeon and GQD getting chummy...

And poor Mura :'(