Chapter 9

In Aeternum

"Young ah~" 

 

"Oh, Sannie," he giggled and held his arms out as his best friend sunk into his arms. They snuggled and Wooyoung smiled softly. He loved this feeling of being loved especially by San. If he could, he would never leave his arms. "San ah." 

 

"Yes?" 

 

"Why is everything white?" Wooyoung blurted out and San didn't reply to him, just continued hugging him. "San ah, something feels wrong." 

 

"Just stay here with me, Wooyoung. You know how I feel about you. No one will ever disturb us ever again," San said and Wooyoung felt pleasant but also disturbed. He knew this wasn't real but he wanted it to be. He wasn't a vampire right now, no, he was just him. It was just him and San. Everything he had ever wanted. 

 

"San, I do know. I know but... why don't you confess to me?" 

 

"I don't want to lose what we have now, Young ah... just like you're not confessing to me. This is all that we need. To be together." 

 

Wooyoung squeezed the body in his arms, noting the lack of actual warmth despite all the pleasant feelings. 

 

A dream. 

 

Wooyoung opened his eyes, feeling sore in his body and looked around the unfamiliar room. Wooden ceiling, wooden floorboards. Concrete wall. He was on a bed but it wasn't really the comfiest thing to sleep on. He tried to sit up but felt drowsy again. 

 

"Go back to sleep, little sheep. There's nothing wrong." 

 

"Hnn.... Sleep," Wooyoung whispered as his eyes closed and he drifted off into a dream again. A different dream yet all the more pleasant. As long as it was with San, dream or not, Wooyoung didn't feel the need to stay awake. 

 

But the same couldn't be said for San. For the poor boy didn't have pleasant dreams. Haunted by his nightmares instead, he struggled to stay awake. Only to fall into a deeper darker mess of his own making. 

 

"I was only friends with you out of pity." 

 

"That's not true." 

 

"You made me into this! Do you know how much I have to suffer because of you??" 

 

"But-" 

 

"I can't taste human food because of you! I want to drink blood. I want to drink your blood." 

 

"Poor child, why are you torturing yourself even in your dreams?" a voice distracted him and he opened his eyes a little to find a blurry figure hovering over him. He let out a raspy whisper but fell asleep again. Again and again, he struggled against his own nightmares. 

 

"Quiet them down, won't you?" a female voice boomed and the male vampire winced from the sound. 

 

"I don't have total control over them because I had to force them to go to sleep. You know how my powers work."

 

The male vampire went to Wooyoung's side again and noticed the male was waking up again. He touched his forehead and hushed him back to sleep. 

 

"Why do they keep waking up too? It usually works one time." 

 

Wooyoung ah. 

 

Wooyoung. 

 

Wooyoung! 

 

Wooyoung hummed as he snuggled against San. They were laying on a hammock at the beach. Gentle waves came ashore and rescinded back into the sea. The breeze made them feel at peace. Nothing seemed wrong. Well, except for the fact that someone was trudging in from the sea. Wooyoung sat up and squinted into the distance. This was the first of his dreams that there was someone else other than him and San. 

 

"What's wrong, Young ah?" San asked and sat up as well. 

 

"Look, over there. There's someone coming to us," he said and San blocked his view to his surprise. 

 

"There's no one here but us, Wooyoung." 

 

"No, there is someone there," Wooyoung said and pushed San aside as he climbed down the hammock. San grabbed his arm and he turned to look at his friend. 

 

"Don't go. Stay with me." 

 

"What?" 

 

Wooyoung! 

 

"Stay with you?" Wooyoung whispered and looked at the sea. Nobody was there and he turned back to San but he screamed in surprise when he saw someone else holding him instead. "San's appa!" 

 

"Finally. What's going on... why is your headspace so weird?" Seonghwa asked as he looked around the beach. The sunlight blazed down at them but it didn't hurt at all. 

 

"M-my headspace?! W-what is going on?" Wooyoung squeaked and pulled his arm away. He looked around for San but the other was gone. "Where's San? What did you do to him?" 

 

"Hmm?" 

 

"Are you trying to split us? I-I might not be strong but I'll f-fight you if you try to take him away!" Wooyoung hissed and Seonghwa chuckled. 

 

"You do know this isn't real, right?" Seonghwa asked and tilted his head. 

 

"Huh?" 

 

"You already know that but you're not trying to face reality, Wooyoung. Wake up. I need your help." 

 

"Why... why should I have to wake up? When I wake up... all I see is San's sad face and his guilt. If I had just stayed asleep, if I had just di-" Wooyoung jolted at his own words, quickly covering his mouth and gaped at Seonghwa. "I-I didn't.." 

 

"There's no hiding your real thoughts here. This is your truest form. Your words. Your actions." 

 

"I'm so confused..." 

 

Seonghwa got down the hammock and grabbed his arms. "Wooyoung, listen to me. I need you to wake up and protect San. No one else can do it right now but you. There are two vampires taking you away. One of them can shrink things and the other can put you to sleep. You need to figure out how to defeat them. Jongho is on his way and so am I but I still need to save Yunho first before I can go to you two. So wake up and protect my son. I'm sorry I turned you into a vampire... but it's time to face it. We both don't want San to be sad. That's all that mattered at that time." 

 

"San's appa..." 

 

"Just call me Seonghwa sshi or appa." 

 

"Appa!" Wooyoung cried out and hugged Seonghwa who flinched. "I'll do it. I'll protect him! You can count on me." 

 

"Thank you. I'll be there as soon as I can." 

 

Seonghwa faded away and Wooyoung stumbled forward, a little shocked but he felt a new surge of confidence and determination now. He had to wake up and protect San as impossible as that sounded in his current state. He looked at the sea and took a deep breath. If he spooked himself enough, he should wake up, right? He started running into the sea and tried to go deeper despite the waves gently trying to push him back ashore to protect him. He growled and went forward again. Deeper, covering his face, his hair, everything. He sank into the water and swam deeper into the darkness. 

 

Wake up. 

 

San is in danger! You are in danger! 

 

Wake up! 

 

Wake u-

 

"Gahhh!" Wooyoung gasped as he shot up from the bed and coughed, feeling as if he had drowned and gasped for air. He felt the drowsiness try to lull him in again but he dug his nails into his skin, drawing blood but he didn't care. He needed to stay awake and the pain helped as he cried out. He rolled off the bed to get rid of the comfortable feeling that only made him want to sleep more and panted as he felt as if he was struggling against some internal force forcing him to sleep. He let go of his hand and pushed himself up. "San? San!" 

 

"J Seph, why is he awake?! Wake up, you buffoon," a female voice echoed and Wooyoung squeaked as the room rocked a little. He took notice of the single bedroom he was in and rushed to the door. He grabbed hold of the knob and found that it opened easily to his surprise. He thought it would at least be locked if someone was going to kidnap him and lock him up which was why something felt odd. If someone was really kidnapping him and San, why were they in a house? A house that was moving too? An earthquake couldn't make it rock like this and it wasn't falling apart either. It struck him as odd as he rushed down the hallways. 

 

Seonghwa's words echoed in his mind as he saw a window and approached it. He looked outside and gasped. 

 

One of them can shrink things. 

 

He saw buildings that looked absolutely humongous just flying past them as if they were moving on a bullet train. Everything just looked upscaled and one touch of the window made him realise that it wasn't even glass. It felt like cardboard paper and the window panes were plastic but no matter how hard he pushed, the plastic wouldn't tear. 

 

"A dollhouse?" Wooyoung questioned before quickly turning around to find San. "San! San, where are you?!" 

 

He recalled San passing out before him and then there was that hand from the shadow that poked him. He tried to recall anything at all that could help him get out of here but alas, he couldn't really think of anything. He has to find San first, maybe they could brainstorm together. He continued screaming the other's name as he searched the dollhouse. All the wallpapers looked exactly the same and there were different floors too. He took a deep breath to calm down but caught a whiff of San's scent instead. He hurriedly ran in that direction and continued yelling for his friend, hoping it would wake him up if he was asleep but he let out a shrill scream instead when a spider hung in his way. It was huge and almost his height. 

 

"Hell no!" he screamed and ran in the other direction. The spider started to chase after him and Wooyoung squeaked as he dodged a grab. "Go away! Wah! Somebody help me!" 

 

In another room whilst Wooyoung was running away, the male vampire roused from his sleep and grunted as his head spun. 

 

"Are you finally awake?" 

 

"With you and that boy screaming my ears out, I'll be hard pressed not to wake up." 

 

"And the other boy?" 

 

"He might wake sooner or later but not if I can catch this one first and put him back to sleep." 

 

"I have Diamond chasing after him now. Hurry up now before I have to use up all the cards in my sleeve." 

 

"Seriously? You know I don't like that little spider too. . He's not even little in here." 

 

"Stop whining and get to work." 

 

The male vampire sighed and opened the bedroom door. Clearly, he could tell where Wooyoung was with how loud his screams pierced the air. He hopped in that direction before picking up his pace. He didn't get very far when he sensed San waking up and grunted. Should he put the other back to sleep first or quiet Wooyoung down so he wouldn't panic? He decided to go after Wooyoung, speeding up until he found the male running towards him instead. His face was fear stricken and he almost ran right into J Seph. 

 

"Help me! There's a spider chasing me!" Wooyoung sobbed but didn't stop running. 

 

"Why is he so fast... wait!" 

 

But Wooyoung didn't listen. He wasn't sure why but he clearly felt like that man he just saw was bad news too. This was a dollhouse, right? It was fake. The only other person here should be San so who was that guy? And Seonghwa mentioned that there was also a vampire that could put people to sleep. Wooyoung didn't want to trust the male for now so he kept running. 

 

"San!" the vampire shouted one more time before his throat gave up on him. He had almost given up on finding the right room his friend was in when he heard a sudden familiar yell. 

 

"Wooyoung ah?!" San's voice barely reached his ears but it gave him a better direction to follow in. He swallowed his saliva painfully and decided to call out to his friend again. "I hear you! Where are you?" 

 

"Hah..." Wooyoung rubbed his throat and felt his thirst rise up from all the yelling, making him slow down as he didn't want to put San at risk of him biting him but not being able to see him was worrisome too. "Come to my voice... hah... San ah!" 

 

"I'm coming! Wait for me!" San yelled in response. Wooyoung glanced behind to find the spider and the other vampire was gone. He stopped to catch his breath and almost felt his legs give up on him. He groaned and leaned against the wall. He should find San like Seonghwa told him to and he did plan to but he felt himself growing more tired as he moved. He wondered if it's because of his bleeding hand or the other vampire's powers still working on him. He decided to his wound and cringed instantly. He didn't think vampire blood tasted this bad or was it just his own blood that had changed in taste? He noticed his wound was healing albeit slowly but definitely faster than he would be as a human. 

 

Once rested enough, he started to run again, wondering what was taking San so long to find him. Well, the dollhouse was complicated and had lots of twists and turns so even if they sounded close by, it didn't mean that the roads were straight ahead. He continued jogging until he was abruptly stopped by something wrapping itself around his waist. He squeaked and looked down to find a cloth around him. 

 

"What th-" He tried to pry it off but he noticed more strips of cloth were headed his direction. He started to panic and tried to dodge but the cloth around his waist started to move him around like some rag doll while the rest wrapped around him. "Wah! Get off!" 

 

He tried to scratch at them but the cloth merely relaxed whenever he came into contact and his scratch ended up not doing anything. It clung onto his arms and legs as he flailed around to be free but they only wrapped tighter around him like a cocoon. 

 

"Somebody help!!" Wooyoung yelped and struggled as he felt himself being wrapped up like a spider spinning their web around their food. His face was covered and that was when his panic became real. He didn't want to die like this, although he had already sort of died but being suffocated like this was not fun either. He tried to scream more but everything was muffled as he could only feel the cocoon become tighter. He shut his eyes tightly and wished this was a dream but realised how dumb that was. He was literally stuck in a dream loop earlier and that didn't bode so well either. 

 

"Wooyoung?!" 

 

"Mmph! Mm!" Wooyoung screamed in a muffled voice as he heard San nearby. He couldn't tell if he was trying to warn or call out to him at this point. What if San gets caught again? They would just end up being stuck like this until they were brought to wherever it was they were going to. Wooyoung grunted and stopped struggling since he couldn't do anything. He took a short breath and squeezed the cloth in his hand. 

 

Seonghwa. 

 

Yunho. 

 

Jongho. 

 

-know, I can transform into animals-

 

Wooyoung opened his eyes and gasped. That's right. He could use their powers but he just needed to know how. How did it work? If he could create a barrier or transform into something, he might be able to escape. Think, Wooyoung. Imagine. He growled and gritted his teeth. Change. Put up barriers! 

 

Focus. 

 

Breathe. 

 

Who? 

 

Wooyoung didn't know if he was hearing things or if he was trying his best to focus but he calmed down a little and tried to focus on his breathing. 

 

Imagine. 

 

Listen. 

 

Grrrr.... 

 

Wooyoung felt his fingers twitch. It was uncomfortable at first, hearing his bones crack and snap and feeling it change. He couldn't see what was going on either but he could feel power surging from within and from his hands. He opened his mouth and chomped down on the cloth. If he couldn't tear it earlier, this time was different. He forcefully moved his arms, feeling his hands move despite how tight it was around him. He swung with all his might and felt the cloth come apart in his hands. Feeling a surge of hope, he continued slashing the cloth until he could see light and found himself tumbling out once he cut a hole big enough. He gasped for air and shot up to his feet in surprise. He looked at his hands and squeaked as they were large bear-like paws now. He was still human for the most part though but his teeth were sharper and his arms were claws. 

 

"Young? Is that you?" 

 

He looked up to find San running up to him. He heard a sound and turned around to find the cloth moving again. He quickly spun around and cut them down, this time successfully tearing them apart with how sharp the claws were. 

 

"Don't come too close!" Wooyoung snapped and moved backwards until he bumped into San who held him by the shoulders. "We gotta run." 

 

"Your arms..." 

 

"I'll explain later! Come on." 

 

San nodded and quickly followed Wooyoung who ran ahead, making sure that nothing was getting in their way as they rushed into the first room they saw and shut it once they were both inside. Wooyoung leaned against the door since he knew there were no locks. He looked at his hands and let out a relieved breath as he saw his human hands. Somehow, he managed to transform his hands even if just for a short while. San wandered around the room, looking for a way out. 

 

"It's no use. This isn't a real house," Wooyoung said and San turned to him. 

 

"What do you mean? It looks like a house." 

 

"It's more like a dollhouse," Wooyoung explained. "The windows are made of plastic and can't be opened. Most of the doors lead to more rooms. I haven't been able to find a way out yet."

 

San held his hands and he flinched in surprise. "Are you hurt anywhere? Your hands are back to normal." 

 

"Yeah! Yeah. I'm fine. Mostly," Wooyoung muttered and felt himself stop breathing as his thirst suddenly crawled up on him. He swallowed his saliva and moved San away. "You shouldn't come too near me now." 

 

"What? Why?" 

 

"I might bite you. Using that ability just now seems to have made me really thirsty..." 

 

"Wooyoung... sorry." San stepped back and frowned. "So how do we escape?" 

 

"I haven't got the slightest clue but since this is a dollhouse and the vampire did put us in there, there has to be a way in and out or else the other vampire inside here with us would be trapped too," Wooyoung said and San tried to think of any dollhouse he had seen before. 

 

"You said you opened the doors but couldn't find a way out, right?" 

 

"Sort of." 

 

"What about the top floors?" 

 

"What about them?" 

 

"Think about a dollhouse. They usually open up the walls to gain access but some of them have removable roofs too. What if we were looking for the wrong sort of exit?" San questioned and Wooyoung gasped. 

 

"We believe the exits are usually through a door at the front of the house but since this is a dollhouse, it doesn't work that way! You're a genius." 

 

"Well, you figured out we were in a dollhouse first so-" Before San could finish the sentence, the entire place started shaking again. Wooyoung held onto San's arm as the other slipped. "What's going on?" 

 

"I don't know but this happened earlier too." 

 

"We have to get out." 

 

"We have another problem. There's a giant spider who was chasing me and the other vampire who put us to sleep should still be roaming around, finding for us. And there's also the matter of those cloth things." 

 

"But we can't just stay here... we don't know where they are bringing us," San said worriedly. "Or why they even took us in the first pl-" 

 

"San?" 

 

"Don't tell me this is another ploy by my appa's ex..." 

 

"Sounds plausible but let's figure that out later. I have an idea." 

 

"Let's hear it then."