Chapter 20

In Aeternum

"Well, I'm here," Seonghwa said to the tall male who turned and nodded. The first competition was over and the 40 people who passed were allowed to leave to rest until the next competition. Just as Mingi had said, Seonghwa went to meet him at daybreak. 

 

"Follow me." 

 

"You're not being controlled now, right?" Seonghwa asked just to be certain. 

 

"I can't speak when he controls me if that assures you. Though he can take away my voice too." 

 

Seonghwa sighed and guessed he just had to be on guard in case this was a trap. Jongho and Yunho did warn him but he still wanted to see San regardless. Even though he knew he had allowed his son to be captured for his own safety, it didn't mean that he didn't worry. 

 

"He's inside here. Make it quick," Mingi said as they stopped in front of the room that San was held in. Seonghwa nodded and quickly entered the room. He raised his brows at the sight of the cage and his son inside. San looked up from his bed and parted his lips but Seonghwa quickly placed a finger on his own lips to warn San to be quiet. San covered his mouth but his eyes teared up instantly. 

 

"San," Seonghwa whispered and headed to the bars. 

 

"Appa, appa. It's really you," San cried as he reached for the other who held his hands but San pulled him into a hug instead. Seonghwa returned the hug and gently patted his back. "Appa... I was so scared. There are so many things I want to ask and talk to you about. I thought I'll never get the chance to even see you again." 

 

"I know. I'm so sorry, San. If I could take all of this back, I would," Seonghwa apologized. 

 

"No... this is all my fault. I was being selfish and only thinking about myself. I never thought about how you or Wooyoung would feel." 

 

"San... I told you. Turning Wooyoung is the one thing I won't allow you to regret. I know it's difficult but you mustn't regret it or how would Wooyoung live on knowing that you feel guilty over it?" 

 

"I'm sorry, appa. I let us get caught..." 

 

"That's fine... I already expected this to happen," Seonghwa said and they slowly let go of each other. 

 

"Are you here to... save me?" San asked nervously. 

 

"Not yet, my dear. I wish I could but you're safer here than outside. You're not in the same place anymore. This is a pocket dimension created by the first vampire lord for vampires. Out there, there are only vampires. They won't hesitate to kill you and if the Overseer orders you to be captured again, you won't get far either."

 

"Then...what do I do? Just wait here? Wooyoung is with them too." 

 

"I know. The Overseer is making him compete to be the vampire lord too." 

 

"What?" San dropped to his knees. "But appa... didn't you say... This competition... Is a matter of life and death before too?" 

 

Seonghwa nodded. "I did..." 

 

"Then you have to save Wooyoung!" 

 

Seonghwa opened his lips but nothing came out. He didn't know how to save Wooyoung from the competition just yet and he dared not make empty promises either. It would only hurt San more if he failed to keep them. 

 

"Appa... Why aren't you saying anything?" 

 

"I'm still working on it. I'm sorry, San. I don't know if I can save Wooyoung this time..." 

 

"No, no. Appa, you can't let him die. Please don't..." 

 

"It's... it's not that... we will have to face each other in battle sooner or later. Only one can win this competition... San... I..." 

 

"Quit it then. Don't fight." 

 

"I can't not fight. It's the only way for me to stop the Overseer or the others from coming after you." 

 

San rubbed his tears that threatened to flow and gritted his teeth. "No... no. I should have protected him better. I should have-" 

 

"San. I'll figure something out. But right now, I need you to focus. Do you know what blood type Wooyoung is?" 

 

"A type... Why?" 

 

"I might have found a way to turn him back to human but the chances of it being a success is.... Too low. It might even be dangerous too." 

 

San sniffled and nodded. 

 

"San..." Seonghwa held his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. "There's... something I have to tell you." 

 

"Hmm?" 

 

"It's about your real parents." 

 

"Now? You want to tell me about them now?" 

 

Seonghwa nodded and pulled out a decent sized wooden box from the pocket of the coat he was wearing. "I-" 

 

"Appa. Before you tell me about them, I just want you to know that this won't change anything. At least I hope not. You'll still be my appa." 

 

Seonghwa paused and felt his tears sting his eyes. He lowered his gaze and gripped the box tightly. "You might come to hate me..." 

 

"I won't, appa. I won't." 

 

Seonghwa gulped and handed San the box. "This is... The only thing I took from your real house apart from you."

 

San opened it to find a brass knuckle with a blade attached to the end of it. He blinked in confusion and looked at Seonghwa. 

 

"Your birth parents were both vampire hunters." 

 

"Huh?" 

 

"I was... friends with them before they found out I was a vampire. I met them before they even had you." 

 

San felt like the story hurt Seonghwa in more ways that it hurt him to hear about people he felt no connection to. He wondered if this was why Seonghwa held back from telling him because it hurt him but he listened. 

 

"They were such wonderful souls. Beautiful people. So strong and brave. Nothing seemed to get in their way of life. They led fulfilling lives... until your mother had you. They couldn't be any happier," Seonghwa spoke steadily, afraid that he would be the one to break down first as he looked back at the memories he had with San's parents. "That was when they started to suspect something. I've never changed in the course of time we had known each other for obvious reasons. I thought I hid it well enough but they became afraid for you.... That I might hurt you or... drink you." 

 

"Did they... try to kill you?" San whispered his question and Seonghwa pursed his lips for a moment. His eyes seemed distant and San squeezed his hand to remind him of the present. 

 

"Yes. They plotted to kill me so that their son wouldn't grow up knowing about vampires or being friends with one. I pretended not to know and still continued to visit and play along with them." 

 

"Why? Why didn't you run?" 

 

"Because I came to love them. I wanted... friends." 

 

"Appa..." 

 

"Even if I got hurt or killed, at least, it would be from the hands of a friend. That's what I thought at that time. I just never could have imagined what happened next. You were born. The first time I saw you in your mother's arms, I was mesmerized. You were a sight to behold... But then came the day where they were about to execute their plan. It was when your mother was strong enough again to fight. I went over to the house and... they were both dead."

 

Seonghwa rubbed between his eyes and let out a silent sigh. 

 

"Hongjoong killed them before they could kill me. He couldn't understand why I would willingly walk to my death. He made sure that I couldn't revive them even if I tried. I fought with him and told him to go away... that I never wanted to see him again. After he left, I searched everywhere for you. By the time I found you, other vampire hunters started to show up and... they thought I had killed your parents and tried to kill me too. I ran and ran... with you."

 

"Hongjoong..."

 

"I'm telling you this because you need to know that the blood that runs in your veins is a vampire hunter's. Which makes you stronger than normal humans. And it's potent to vampires." 

 

"Why didn't you tell me before? Is this why Wooyoung wouldn't drink my blood?" 

 

"I had too many things to think about. It just wasn't the right time and neither is now but... you'll have time to think it over here. Yes, I told him about it. If he had drunk your blood, he would have died. He knew that. This blade belonged to your real dad and it's capable of killing vampires. Whatever happens after this, I know that the Overseer would try to force Wooyoung to kill you. Use the blade to protect yourself."

 

"You want me to kill Wooyoung?" 

 

"No. Of course not. I just want you to have something to protect yourself with. Wooyoung won't be your only enemy." 

 

"Appa..." The door creaked open, making the two of them flinch but it was just Mingi. 

 

"You've taken too long. I've been summoned by the Overseer. Come on before he spots you," Mingi said in a hushed tone. 

 

"Sorry. San, listen to me. Protect yourself. Whatever happens. I'll always be fighting to protect you too. I'll do whatever I can to make sure you can live life normally again." 

 

San reached out to Seonghwa who started to walk away. "Appa... wait." 

 

"I'll do my best to save Wooyoung too. Just wait a little longer," Seonghwa said and put on his hood before leaving the room with Mingi. 

 

"Did you tell him everything that you had to?" Mingi asked and Seonghwa sighed. 

 

"As much as I could." 

 

San looked at the dagger and gritted his teeth again. This was a lot to take in and he certainly wasn't sure how to deal with his emotions right now. He sat on the bed and thought about the whole situation again. His dad was up against his best friend in a deathmatch. He was going to be killed by his best friend. His real parents were killed by his dad's ex. Everything made his head hurt. 

 

"What do I do, Wooyoung..." 

 

~

 

"I was looking all over for you." 

 

"Hongjoong?" Seonghwa looked at the vampire who approached him speedily. "What's wrong?" 

 

"I met the vampire lord as per your request." 

 

"How did it go?" 

 

"Enlightening to him for sure. He also mentioned some other things to me." Hongjoong relay what the vampire lord had told him to Seonghwa who nodded. 

 

"So it's like what I thought. Hongjoong." 

 

"Yes?" 

 

"I need your help to find me A type blood. A lot of it."

 

"Understood." 

 

"Hyung, you're back." 

 

"Right on time, Yunho, Jongho. I need both of your help."

 

"What is it?" Jongho asked and Seonghwa told them about the blue beetle that could control vampires while Hongjoong quickly took his leave. 

 

"I need you two to find out how to stop it. Or disable it." 

 

"I'll check the library," Yunho said. 

 

"I guess I'm asking around again? Can't we switch?" Jongho grumbled and Yunho patted his back. 

 

"Okay. I'll ask." 

 

"Thank you. What about you, hyung?" 

 

"The competition is still ongoing. I can't just leave right now or the Overseer might think something is up and I don't want to be disqualified either for not showing up. I'm counting on you guys."

 

"Let's get moving then." 

 

"Thank you."