Chapter 4

In Aeternum

San and Wooyoung hid behind a pillar since San was too worried about Seonghwa to leave him alone. He didn't know how well Seonghwa could fight after all. All these 19 years with his dad and he had barely even seen Seonghwa get mad. 

 

"Untie me, please," Wooyoung said and San unravelled the ropes from his wrists before pulling him into another hug. 

 

"Are you alright? Did they hurt you?" San asked worriedly as he cupped Wooyoung's cheeks. 

 

"I'm fine. I passed out earlier because of how scared I was... and what about you? You... your eyes are so red." 

 

"I was so worried about you. I thought I was going to lose you and it just... I couldn't take the thought of it," San said while squeezing his cheeks slightly. 

 

"I'm alright, Sannie. But that... That's your dad?" Wooyoung asked as they peeked out from behind the pillar. San nodded and pursed his lips. 

 

"That is my dad. They want him... so they used you instead of me as a hostage or bait to draw him out," San replied. 

 

"Why me?" 

 

"Because... you're my weak point..." 

 

Wooyoung seemed confused but thought that now wasn't the right time to be asking about this. He was more intrigued by the way San's dad was fighting. 

 

"I didn't know vampires could teleport," Wooyoung said instead as they watched Seonghwa beating the 3 vampires up by constantly switching places unexpectedly and punching them square in the face. 

 

"Neither did I," San said honestly. "Is there any way we can help him... I'm the reason why he's here..." 

 

"I'm pretty sure I'm the reason why he's here," Wooyoung scoffed. 

 

"I'm being serious... I practically led my own dad to his... demise or somewhere along those lines," San whined. 

 

"He seems to be holding up well though," Wooyoung said. As he watched Seonghwa slammed one of them onto the ground before switching places with the one jumping and landing on said vampire instead. 

 

"Should we leave then?" San asked. 

 

"It would be better if we aren't here to disturb him. Or they can use us again," Wooyoung said and San let out a strained breath. Wooyoung hopped up to his feet, ready to go when a vampire was flung in their direction. The vampire slammed against the muddy slope and grunted, eyes glinting as he caught sight of San who was still on the ground. His eyes were bloodshot and mind was in a frenzy. He just wanted to beat up Seonghwa so badly that he had forgotten what Hongjoong had warned him. 

 

"Give me your blood!" the vampire screeched and tried to grab San but Wooyoung, who was already standing up, blocked him instead. Fangs sunk into his shoulder, piercing his skin through his shirt and jacket. Wooyoung screamed from the pain and San gasped in horror as he watched the vampire drained Wooyoung's blood at an alarming rate. 

 

"NO!" San pushed himself and tried to yank the vampire away but the other was latched on tightly. Eyes glowing redder by the moment while Wooyoung's fluttered close. 

 

"Oh dear," the calm one said as he noticed what was going on. Seonghwa panted softly and looked in their direction, eyes wide in shock. Why hadn't San and Wooyoung left yet? Why were they being attacked? The vampire shoved San aside and let Wooyoung go, feeling refreshed and b with energy again. San quickly caught Wooyoung and couldn't find any words to say. Everything just felt like his fault at that moment. His best friend was cold and limp, grunting in pain while holding onto his shoulder. "We are leaving." 

 

"Hmm? But we haven't catch him yet," the other vampire said but the calm one was ready to escape. 

 

"He's been beating our for the past 5 minutes. Do you really think we can catch him the way we are? Hongjoong warned us not to harm his son and his friend. Look what Kwangjun did. Seonghwa won't let him go now." 

 

The other clicked his tongue but nodded. Both of them hurriedly escaped into the dark while Kwangjun ran in for the bite towards Seonghwa but he was having none of it by now. With the other two gone and only himself as the target, Seonghwa lifted both his hands. Fingers in position and breathing controlled. The vampire leaped and hands reached out to Seonghwa who had closed his eyes. Just as his fingertip touched the still male, Seonghwa snapped his fingers. The vampire let out a shrill voice as metal and wooden pieces started stabbing out of his body. The pile of broken tables and chairs started to bleed and Seonghwa finally looked up when the vampire was nothing but a writhing mess on the ground, choking on his blood and spit if he even had any. Soon, the vampire was nothing but dust as he faded away to nothingness. Seonghwa's eyes were dead inside and he couldn't even feel remorse for killing his own kind this way. 

 

"No one lays a hand on my son," he whispered and quickly rushed to San's side. San was still holding onto Wooyoung tightly but the other was barely even breathing anymore. 

 

"Appa, help him... please," San whimpered and Seonghwa placed two fingers between his lips, letting out a sharp whistle. 

 

"We won't be able to bring him to the hospital, San. He won't make it since human doctors can't help," Seonghwa started calmly. San froze and clenched his fists. 

 

"So he's just going to die?!" he yelled unintentionally. He just felt so weak in front of a real crisis. His best friend was dying in his arms, his dad had to murder his own species and what had he done but lead everything to this happening? A raven flew close to them and transformed into a human being. Usually, San would have either been shocked or in awe but after what he had seen and felt tonight, he could only wish that he hadn't found out about any of these again. The tall vampire bowed to Seonghwa and stood upright. 

 

"Yunho, bring my son home," Seonghwa said and San gasped, clutching onto Wooyoung tighter. 

 

"I'll take him, San. Don't worry. I won't leave your friend here," Seonghwa said gently and held Wooyoung, taking him from San's arms. The vampire called Yunho picked San up like he was a rag doll to the smaller male's surprise. Sure, he wasn't very big in stature but the man just lifted him with one hand onto his shoulder. 

 

"Hold tight," Yunho said. His voice was soft and gentle unlike how San would have imagined it to be. Seonghwa and Yunho both started to run and San realised that he was definitely out matched in terms of physical abilities, perhaps even his mental abilities too. He hung into Yunho and tried to hold back the shivers in his body. They reached home even faster than San on his bicycle and rushed in right away. Seonghwa placed Wooyoung down on the bed in their guest room and felt his pulse. It was low and weakening much faster than he expected. He should have killed them faster but using that technique earlier took a lot more concentration than he remembered and it was difficult to use when there were 3 vampires running around him. San dropped to the side of the bed and clutched Wooyoung's hand. 

 

"Appa, isn't there anything you can do at all?" San asked, trying not to cry again but seeing the life drain out of his friend hurt him like never before. Yunho stood by them quietly. "Please, appa, you can use my blood or any part of me that you need. Just save Wooyoung please." 

 

Seonghwa frowned at the thought of using his son for someone who he barely had a connection to. San started crying again and he hated himself for it. 

 

"Young ah... Wooyoung, don't die," he whimpered and Wooyoung's finger twitched a little. 

 

"Appa, please... you're a vampire, right? If you... if you turn him," San said so softly that a normal human would need to strain their ears to hear him. That was when Yunho moved, grasping San's shoulder and turning him roughly with an angry expression but Seonghwa moved his hand up, stopping Yunho's advances. 

 

"It's alright, Yunho." 

 

"He doesn't understand anything," Yunho hissed and Seonghwa sighed. 

 

"Because I didn't tell him anything. San... I can turn Wooyoung into a vampire but would Wooyoung want that?" Seonghwa asked as he knelt down beside his son whose tears had yet to dry. Wooyoung let out a small cry and his hand found Seonghwa's who was surprised. 

 

"Wooyoung?" Seonghwa called out his name softly and Wooyoung opened his eyes by a tiny smidge. 

 

"San's... appa," he said weakly and squeezed his hand with any ounce of energy he had left. Seonghwa leaned closer so he didn't feel the need to struggle to speak louder. 

 

"Yes, child?" 

 

"San... I'll let you do anything... To me... just stop... Don't let San cry anymore," Wooyoung whispered with a cracked voice that broke Seonghwa's soul. The vampire looked at his son and turned to Yunho.

 

"Yunho."

 

"Yes, hyung?"

 

"Call Jongho and find the two that escaped. Find them and kill them. Once you're done, come back here with him." 

 

San's eyes widened to hear such words come out from his dad but understood clearly that if he didn't, they would come back again. Yunho bowed and dashed out of the house, leaving them alone. 

 

"San, this is the one single choice I will not allow you to regret. No matter what happens after this, you must never regret this decision that you made now," Seonghwa said as he moved Wooyoung's head aside to expose his neck. He had to do it as soon as he could or Wooyoung would just be a corpse before he even had the chance to turn.

 

"Appa?" 

 

Seonghwa's fangs extended out and he held Wooyoung firmly before biting down on the weak boy. At first, Wooyoung didn't react except for a small gasp leaving his lips but as Seonghwa poured more of his blood into the human male, he started to twitch and convulse. It didn't take much longer before he let out a shrill scream and clawed at Seonghwa. The pain burned every nerve and he felt as if his whole body was on fire. San could only watch in horror as his friend writhed in his dad's right hold, screaming for the pain to stop. 

 

"Appa, appa, is everything going fine? Why is he screaming so much?" San asked worriedly but Seonghwa didn't answer him until he felt Wooyoung start to calm a little. He released the male's neck that started to become paler. If Wooyoung had looked like he was dying earlier, now he looked as if he was completely drained of blood instead. 

 

"Hah... I've done what I can. The rest is in Wooyoung's hand," Seonghwa said as he let the younger male down to rest. With how weak his body was, the vampire doubted that he would survive but if this was what his son wanted, he couldn't bring himself to say no. He wiped his lips and moved away from Wooyoung so his son could go closer. 

 

"W-will he be okay now?" San asked and Seonghwa couldn't bear to lie to him. 

 

"I don't know," he replied. "It all depends if Wooyoung can adapt to my blood and turn." 

 

"So there's still a chance he would die?" San asked nervously and Seonghwa nodded in response. 

 

"He was already on the brink of death earlier and not everyone can adapt to the blood."

 

San stood up and hugged Seonghwa. "Thank you, appa. I'm so sorry... thank you..." 

 

"There, there. Stop crying, San ah. Your eyes will hurt in the morning," Seonghwa said gently and patted his head. "Get some rest. You don't want to be too near to Wooyoung if he wakes up." 

 

"Why not?" 

 

"The first thirst is always the strongest and you're still human." 

 

"B-but I asked you to turn him! The least I can do is offer my bl-" 

 

"No. You will not do any such thing," Seonghwa hissed and San flinched. He pursed his lips and nodded. 

 

"Then when can I see him again?" 

 

"When he can control his thirst a little better. I'll have Jongho and Yunho look after him. You should contact his parents and let them know he's sleeping over," Seonghwa sighed and San nodded, trudging out of the room unwillingly. Seonghwa looked at Wooyoung and sighed again, knowing that the worst had yet to come if Wooyoung was able to assimilate with the blood. 

 

But even the worst expectations that Seonghwa had couldn't prepare him for what was to come. A vampire dressed in a black cloak with his hands extended outwards held a ball of light inside them. 

 

"Alas, the time has come," the vampire spoke as the light faded away and a clear image appeared. The image showed Wooyoung lying on the bed without any signs of movement. "Sunshine, it's time to wake up."

 

The door creaked open and a tall vampire entered the room. The one dressed in the black cloak glanced behind and smiled, a smile so sly that one would think he knew all the secrets to the world. 

 

"Mingi, send people to get my Sunshine for me." 

 

The tall vampire bowed and exited the room without a sound. 

 

"I cannot wait to meet you. Your time to reign draws closer."