Chapter 18

In Aeternum

"You stink. Hahaha! Who would ever want to be friends with a loser like you?" 

 

The smell of milk reeked off the twelve year old's bag and clothes. San couldn't understand why. What had he done wrong to them to treat him this way? He went home that day and quietly snuck into his room, instantly throwing his stuff out of his bag and removing his shirt. He had to clean it before Seonghwa realised what had happened and he wouldn't be allowed to go to school again but he couldn't stop the sniffles and sobs that escaped as he scrubbed his shirt. 

 

"San? What's wrong?" 

 

"Uncle Y-Yunho," San sobbed as the tall vampire entered the bathroom he was in. 

 

"Why are you crying? You poor thing," Yunho cooed as he knelt beside San, glancing over to his shirt and bag. He gritted his teeth but kept his cool. "Did someone throw things at you again?" 

 

San refused to answer since he knew Yunho would tell Seonghwa so the other could only sigh and gently pat his back. 

 

"Seonghwa hyung knew this would happen. That's why he preferred to homeschool you, San ah." 

 

"But it's because we have to keep moving! I can't make any friends and people think I'm weird because I joined so late," San whined. 

 

"Is the crybaby whining again?" a teasing voice asked. 

 

"Uncle Jongho!" 

 

"Hey, San. Someone bullied you again? Need your uncle Jongho to teach them a lesson?" 

 

"No! The last time you did that, appa made us shift right away," San sulked as he rinsed the shirt. He sniffed it and was glad that the smell was gone. 

 

"Do you like school?" Yunho asked with a gentle smile and San couldn't reply. He honestly didn't know, now that he had gone to it. Even though he liked being around people his age, he couldn't get along with anyone and he was either bullied or feared. 

 

"School isn't that great anyway," Jongho said with a shrug and San pouted. 

 

"I want to make friends," San mumbled and Yunho chuckled. 

 

"Of course you do. You're at that age now to want to run around with people your age and have fun," Yunho said. 

 

"But no one wants to play with me..." 

 

"Who cares about them." 

 

"Jongho, please." 

 

"I grew up alone too." 

 

San looked at Jongho who had a frown between his brows and then at Yunho who had an apologetic look. "Mmm... Uncles, can you not tell appa about this...? I still want to go to school." 

 

"Alright, San. But only this time. You know Seonghwa hyung would be more hurt if you kept it from him," Yunho said gently. 

 

"I know. Thank you, uncle Yunho." 

 

"I'll help you wash your bag," Jongho sighed and San beamed. 

 

"Thank you. You're both so nice to me!" 

 

"We only want what is best for you too," Yunho said but that wasn't enough when Seonghwa found out regardless. The other was fuming that they kept it from him. 

 

"What if he had gotten hurt instead?! What if it had been rocks instead of milk?" 

 

"Calm down, hyung. It's not a big-," Jongho tried but was cut off by Seonghwa. 

 

"Not a big deal?! It is! He's being bullied and what for? What did San do to make people do this to him? This is why I didn't want him to go to school." 

 

San pursed his lips and lowered his gaze, feeling guilty for making his dad this upset. He realised that his action had hurt Seonghwa and it was the last thing he had wanted. 

 

"Appa, I want to stop school." 

 

"San ah..." 

 

"It's okay. I like being with you more anyway! We get to watch TV and play together too." 

 

Seonghwa hugged San tightly. "I'm sorry... I just don't want you to be hurt." 

 

"I know, appa. You care for me very much." 

 

"Maybe when you grow up more, I'll let you attend college instead. People there should be mature enough," Seonghwa said, albeit with little hope in his voice. 

 

With the sun's warmth pouring in through the thin curtain, San stirred from his sleep. He felt warm and sat up, squinting from the sunlight. He turned to look at Wooyoung who was still in bed and decided to wake up. He stretched and yawned as he reached out to Wooyoung. His hand barely touched his friend when something hit him back. He was sent flying to the bed and grabbed the mattress as he slid across it to stop himself from falling. He coughed and held his chest, realising it was Wooyoung who turned to him with a shocked look. 

 

"S-San, I didn't mean to. I'm sorry. I thought...," Wooyoung whimpered and San cleared his throat. 

 

"It's okay. I shouldn't have touched you," San said instead, trying to stay calm. He got up and Wooyoung hid under the blanket. "Wooyoung?" 

 

"Leave me.... You should just run away alone and leave me. They're coming after me after all. They're not after you," Wooyoung said and San stiffened. He clenched his fists as he watched his friend tremble under the covers instead. "You'll be safer alone than with me." 

 

"Don't be silly... My dad asked you to protect me, didn't he? You said you would protect me." 

 

"How can I protect you when all I can think about now is to drink from you?" Wooyoung hissed. "Go away, San. You can survive better alone."

 

"Woo... I-" 

 

"I'm not going to drink from you," Wooyoung interrupted him as if he was reading his mind. San shifted his gaze and decided to do something stupid. He yanked the blanket off Wooyoung, startling him and pinned his arms down with one hand. Wooyoung knew he could easily throw San away with his strength but he didn't. Instead, San stared right into his teary eyes and lifted his arm to Wooyoung's lips who immediately shut it tightly. 

 

"You'll die if you don't drink something," San said, trying to sound serious but his voice was shaking. 

 

"Mmm-" Wooyoung turned his head and San turned it back to face him with his fingers squishing his cheeks. "Let go." 

 

"Not until you drink," San whispered and Wooyoung tried to think of a way to push him away without hurting him. It was almost impossible. "You need the energy." 

 

"No. I won't," Wooyoung hissed and tried to move his head away. 

 

"Don't make me cut myself and feed you," San threatened Wooyoung whose eyes widened. 

 

"You did not just say that to me, Choi San!" Wooyoung growled, eyes gleaming red and San flinched. 

 

"Wooyoung, I-" 

 

"Get. Off." 

 

San rolled his lips inwards and meekly let go of Wooyoung. "I'm sorry..." 

 

"This is not going to change anything, San. Even if I drink your blood, it won't stop them from coming after us." Or maybe it would since I'll be dead. "And I'm not! Going to hurt you. Or let you hurt yourself because of me." 

 

"Woo..." 

 

"So don't... Don't make this more difficult for me than it already is," Wooyoung pleaded and wiped away his tears. 

 

"I'm sorry... I... I'll go get myself some breakfast and we can leave. You should wash up too," San said as he walked to the door to give both of them some breathing space. Wooyoung sniffled and knew San couldn't bear to stay right now since it would take his entire willpower not to smother him in a hug. He squished his own cheeks and questioned his entire existence. Why did he do that to San? He must be really stressed out after what had happened yesterday. Being with San was bound to end with him getting hurt too. He sighed and went to the bathroom to wash up. 

 

San thanked the cashier and headed back to the hotel. He took the ice pack that he bought and stuffed it under his shirt to press against his aching chest. Both physically and emotionally. He found himself sighing for the umpteenth time as he tried to calm himself down. As he neared the hotel, he felt an uneasy feeling behind him and instinctively moved away just as a hand reached out to grab him. He gasped in surprise and stumbled back as a tall male stood behind him. He felt shivers run down his spine as the male was fully clothed from head to toe in black with a hoodie thrown on. His head instantly told him that it was a vampire without a doubt and he was about to run but found himself rooted as the vampire lunged at him. He dropped the bag to parry the male's attack and the other seemed surprised but didn't falter as he swung his leg. San steeled his body for the kick but the sheer force of it threw San off balance. In a single moment, San's collar was caught by the male and his feet lifted off the ground. 

 

"Guh! Let me go," San hissed and swung his legs, trying to kick the other but his kicks didn't do much to the other. 

 

"Nice work, Mingi. You're performing so well," another voice said and San paused for a moment to see another hooded man come closer, also clad in black but his outfit had red and gold intricate designs that made him look more important. 

 

"Who the hell are you?" San growled and tried to scratch at Mingi's hand but it was too tough. 

 

"Allow me to introduce myself. I am Yeosang, the one and only Overseer of the vampire world," the male said with a thin smile. San gulped as he felt stunned by the other's unearthly beauty when their eyes met. 

 

"What do you want?" 

 

"I want Wooyoung," the male said straight to the point. "I know he's here with you and I hope you would cooperate if you know what's better for the both of you."

 

"Like hell I will!" San snapped. "I won't hand Wooyoung over to some vampires like you!" 

 

"That's not very nice and after I asked so politely too. Maybe I'm doing this wrong after all," Yeosang said in an innocent tone. "Oh well. Mingi." 

 

Mingi lifted San higher and swung his hand down. San gasped and clutched onto Mingi's hand tightly. His entire body rattled as he slammed against the ground hard and he choked. He felt an intense pain go down his spine and his lower body felt paralysed. It was a fear San hadn't realised he had until he could barely move his legs. He cried out in horror and pain, his mind drifting between consciousness and unconsciousness. Mingi lifted him up again but he had no more energy in his body to retaliate. It hurt everywhere. He could barely feel his arms anymore as his hands stopped holding on. San couldn't believe that he was just going to black out from one single attack like this. 

 

"SAN!" 

 

Wooyoung. 

 

Run. 

 

Wooyoung flew into San's half opened gaze as his friend had leaped onto Mingi, trying to get him to let go but the tall male was more experienced at fighting than Wooyoung was. Wooyoung bit down on Mingi's neck, expecting his skin to give way easily but it didn't. Mingi dropped San and ripped Wooyoung away from him easily, throwing him onto the ground like a ragdoll as well. Wooyoung grunted as the air was knocked out of him and hopped up, attacking Mingi again who once again grabbed him with ease. Mingi sent a punch right onto his stomach, making Wooyoung almost puke as he saw stars behind his eyes. He choked and Mingi was about to slam him down on the ground again when Yeosang lifted a hand. 

 

"Mingi, treat him with better care, won't you?" he said in a disappointed tone and the vampire eased up. 

 

"Let go," Wooyoung groaned as he tried to push Mingi away weakly. For a split second, Wooyoung thought he saw an apologetic look on Mingi's face but it was gone as fast as it came. He let go as Wooyoung said and the other just crumbled onto the ground. He couldn't muster any energy to get up and fight back. 

 

"Wooyoung...," San whimpered and tried to reach for his friend but Mingi's foot on his back stopped him. Wooyoung felt anger burn within him but it helped nothing since he could barely move himself. 

 

"San.... Goddammit," Wooyoung cursed as he tried to get up. 

 

"Now, now, my sunshine. You'll have lots of time to reconnect later on," Yeosang said as he lifted Wooyoung in his arms. Wooyoung coughed and the last thing he remembered was Mingi lifting San up. 

 

Somebody help. Anybody. 

 

~

 

Seonghwa blinked and snapped out of his frozen trance. He noticed Jongho and BM shaking hands, both panting heavily but at least one of them looked satisfied. 

 

"Something wrong, hyung?" Yunho asked, back in his human form, and Seonghwa looked at him. 

 

"I thought I heard something," Seonghwa said softly. He rubbed the back of his neck. "Are they done?" 

 

"Yep." 

 

"Who won?" 

 

"Neither of us," Jongho answered and Seonghwa nodded. 

 

"Well done. Let's go back and rest. It's been... quite the day," Seonghwa said, feeling drained all of a sudden. 

 

"Huh? Okay," Jongho replied. "Are you alright, hyung? You seem.... Paler than usual." 

 

"Yes. It just felt as if someone tried to invade my mind." 

 

"You felt that too?" Yunho asked, to Seonghwa's surprise. "I thought it was just me so I didn't say anything since the three of us are here too." 

 

"Could it be... Wooyoung? We didn't teach him how to talk to us telepathically," Jongho surmised. 

 

"Maybe. Let's just head back for now. I have a bad feeling," Seonghwa sighed and the two nodded. They followed him back after saying goodbye to BM. 

 

Once they reached Seonghwa's home, Yunho and Jongho both hissed at the sight of Hongjoong who flinched before hissing back in return. 

 

"What do you want?" Yunho hissed at the male who quirked a brow. 

 

"Seonghwa called me here." 

 

"Hyung?" 

 

"I did. Both of you, go in first. The vampire lord wants something that you have," Seonghwa said and reached out for the necklace around Hongjoong's neck but the other quickly stopped him from taking it. Yunho and Jongho were about to protest but decided not to since the vampire lord came up in their conversation. 

 

"What are you doing? You called me here just to take my necklace?" 

 

"To be fair, it was mine before I gifted it to you," Seonghwa replied and Hongjoong chuckled. 

 

"Yeah, I don't think so." 

 

Seonghwa sighed and lowered his hand. "I thought so." 

 

"What would you even need it for? No, what would he need it for?" Hongjoong asked curiously. 

 

"I don't know but it's a deal I made with him. Apparently it belongs to him or well, his previous self. He wants it back." 

 

"You...you made a deal to give away my necklace without asking me?" 

 

"We will call this even for everything else you have done. And I'm the one who got the necklace for you." 

 

Hongjoong looked like he was in disbelief but Seonghwa stood his ground. He knew how precious the necklace was to Hongjoong but right now, he valued San and Wooyoung's life more than he did for Hongjoong's affection. He knew how evil he must've sounded and part of him hated it but it was a simple thing to exchange in return for lives. 

 

"Okay. Fine. I'll give it to him. How do I meet him?" 

 

Seonghwa pulled out the insignia and handed it to him. 

 

"You kept this?" 

 

"I did. I hid it in this home," he answered since that was what he was actually looking for and not the rings. 

 

"Do they know yet?" 

 

"Who?" 

 

"Yunho and Jongho." 

 

"No... I still haven't told anyone. There's no need to. It's better for everyone not to know." 

 

Hongjoong took the insignia and sighed. "If that's your choice, I'll bring it to my grave with me." 

 

"Thank you." 

 

"One more thing. I heard from one of my people that the Overseer came back with two people today, other than his loyal servant. It could be Wooyoung and San. If I find anything more, I'll let you know." 

 

"Okay. Thank you, Hongjoong." 

 

Hongjoong nodded and headed off to the vampire lord's dwelling. Seonghwa headed inside to find the two dusting the place. He blinked and guessed they should clean up if they were going to stay there for a while. 

 

"Are both of you on talking terms again?" Yunho asked as Seonghwa approached him. 

 

"Yes. He's helped me quite a bit." 

 

"Are you going to forgive him?" 

 

"I already did a long time ago. He thought the Queen sent you as a spy to kill me and that's why he thought to kill you first, remember? And he sent people after Wooyoung and San because the Overseer ordered him to."

 

"You're too soft hearted, hyung." 

 

"Speak for yourself. I'm not that soft hearted... I would be lying if I said I didn't miss him, Yunho. I did marry him so so long ago..." 

 

"And you still love him." 

 

"And he loves me. A love that is for eternity." 

 

"Sounds sweet if everything else hadn't happened," Yunho sighed and Seonghwa chuckled. 

 

"We can choose to forgive and forget. I won't ever forget but I choose to forgive. There's no point harboring so much negative emotions in me. I'm too tired. I could even say I'm too old for this." 

 

"Geez. What's with the bleak talk?" Jongho asked as he walked towards them. 

 

"Jongho. Yunho. Thank you for being by my side. I have many shortcomings but I'm always grateful to those who stay."