Chapter 14

In Aeternum

"What do I do? What do I do!" Wooyoung panicked as he was uncertain if they were attacking them or just normal people wandering around suspiciously. The man at the door knocked and Wooyoung jumped. Should he open it? Should he not? He found himself scooting away from the door instead, holding his breath. The door knob started to move and Wooyoung had an inkling that these guys weren't vampires. For one, he could sense the blood pulsing in their heart and body. So that could only mean they were robbers or something. He laid low as the door opened slowly and he caught a glimpse of a makeshift lock pick in the other's hand. 

 

Should he jump him? Or should he escape? What about that suspicious man going after San? The man walked right in without noticing Wooyoung who had stuck himself against the wall. He could totally bite him or knock him out but he hadn't done such a thing before so he didn't know if he should. What if he accidentally kill him? He didn't want to do that. So he opted to speed out instead. He made it out the door without being detected to find San pinning the other guy down. 

 

"Wooyoung!" San gasped and looked up, relieved to find his friend outside the room and gunning towards him. He let the man who he had unintentionally knocked unconscious go to hold onto his friend. 

 

"There's someone in the room!" Wooyoung squeaked before he looked at the male on the ground. "I didn't know you could knock someone out." 

 

"I wasn't sure if a vampire was attacking me or not... I might have used too much power. What are they doing there?" San asked while heading towards the room but Wooyoung held him back. 

 

"I think they're trying to rob us." 

 

"What? But we have nothing worth stealing." 

 

"I know. So we should just leave instead of getting into trouble with them," Wooyoung said worriedly. 

 

"But we should at least get our clothes and your blood stash," San said and Wooyoung frowned. 

 

"At least wait for him to come out first. Let's go hide somewhere," Wooyoung said, not wanting to confront the robber in fear that someone could potentially get hurt or the police getting involved. Plus it was like San said, they had nothing worth stealing. All the money was with San which the other guy had failed to take from him. 

 

"Alright. Let's wait there." The two hid behind a pillar and peeked at the door. The man eventually came out and even locked the door before hurrying away. Wooyoung wondered if the one San knocked out was even his buddy or if there just happened to be many robbers around. 

 

"He's gone. Should we go get our things now?" 

 

San nodded and the two rushed in. They were stunned when they saw red all over. 

 

"What the hell?" San hissed as he looked into the fridge. Every last one of the cartons had been pulled out. It looked like a murder had just happened and even smelt like one. "Did he think we were hiding things inside them?" 

 

"San ah, San," Wooyoung gasped and San turned to him, flinching when he saw the red in his friend's pupils. Wooyoung covered his mouth and took a step back. 

 

"Calm down, Woo. Take a step back. Walk out slowly," San said and lifted his hand as if he was trying to control him. Wooyoung took slow shallow breaths so he didn't smell the blood too intensely as he stepped back. "That's it. One step at a time." 

 

San didn't know what to do if he was being honest. His friend looked like he was on the verge of biting someone's head off and he didn't know to stop it. They had just lost the most important thing in their possessions and San silently cursed himself for thinking that nothing could have gone this wrong. He picked up his luggage and held Wooyoung's arm, dragging his friend away from the mess in the room. Wooyoung held his throat and took deep breaths once they were far enough, feeling the itch to drink worsen. He could even sense San's pulse increase and gritted his teeth. This was bad. He thought he had it under control but being with San right now was almost akin to torture. 

 

They managed to get away from the motel after San secretly dropped off their room key with a written apology without any trouble. Wooyoung was more worried about San being caught on the CCTV but realised the place didn't have any surveillance. Thankfully? In any case, they hurried back to the bus station but Wooyoung froze. 

 

"Wooyoung? What's wrong? Let's go. The bus is going to leave soon," San said as he tried to move his friend along but he wouldn't budge. 

 

"I can't go up the bus," he whispered. 

 

"Why not?" 

 

"In an enclosed space with so many people while I feel so thirsty? I can't, San. What if I bit someone by accident?" Wooyoung squeaked and stepped back instead. San blinked a couple of times before taking a deep breath and nodded. 

 

"Alright. Okay. What about a taxi? It'll just be one driver and us." 

 

"And if I bite the driver?" 

 

"We can't rent cars... neither of us can drive yet." San looked around frantically and gasped when he saw bicycles. "We can rent bicycles. How about that?" 

 

"But we need to return them..." 

 

"Then let's just buy one." 

 

"San..." 

 

"Yes?" 

 

"Let's just walk," Wooyoung said and held San's hand. San was worried that they wouldn't get very far but he realised why Wooyoung suggested it. He just needed to be away from humans for now to calm down. San nodded and adjusted the bag strap before they started walking hand-in-hand down the street. Wooyoung kept the lower half of his face covered as they walked, wondering if he should get a mask instead. He felt San's grip tighten every once in a while and wondered if the other was still feeling guilty. Probably. It wasn't as if San made a decision of choosing ice cream. This decision changed Wooyoung's life forever. Whether it was for better or worse. 

 

"Where... where shall we go?" San asked softly. 

 

"Anywhere. As long as we are together." 

 

"You make it sound like we are in some romance movie now, eloping from home," San joked, trying to lighten the tension and Wooyoung chuckled. 

 

"We are already holding hands and your dad asked me to take care of you. So why not?" he replied cheekily and kissed San's hand. He didn't notice the blush on his friend's face as a person walked by and he quickly lowered his gaze. San tightened his grip and pursed his lips. He felt like confessing but decided not to. This was not how he had expected things to go...and just because they were running off together now, it didn't mean that Wooyoung liked him the same way he did. Little did he know that Wooyoung was holding back the same feelings, afraid to lose San as a friend or afraid that he might be taking advantage of the situation. 

 

"So...," San mumbled. 

 

"Yeah?" 

 

"Feeling any worse?" 

 

"Hmm.... I guess my thirst calmed down again... but it might act up at any time so we should still be careful," Wooyoung said. 

 

"Okay. Do you... um..." 

 

"What is it?" 

 

"Well... do you really not want to drink a bit of my blood?" 

 

"Ah..." Wooyoung chewed on his lower lip slightly before nodding. "Yeah. I can't." 

 

"But... I'm sure I'm healthy enough to lose a bit of blood." 

 

"I... I just don't want to, San. You're... my... you're precious to me and I don't want to hurt you." 

 

"It's just a bit of blood," San whispered. 

 

"We will figure something out. Why don't we find another place to stay first? It's getting kind of late." 

 

"But aren't vampires more active at night?" 

 

"Yeah, all the more reason for us to find a place to hide in for now," Wooyoung said. "Being out in the open seems like a worse choice." 

 

"I guess so... let me see what places I can find." 

 

Wooyoung nodded and wondered if he should call his parents to let them know that he's fine. He missed his family, of course but he didn't want to put them in danger either. From himself or from other vampires. He looked at San and put the thought aside. 

 

"San." 

 

"Yeah?" 

 

"Have you ever thought about... Who your real parents are?" 

 

"No, not really. Ever since I could remember things, there's only ever been Seonghwa appa."

 

"Aren't you even a little bit curious?" 

 

"No. Why should I be?" 

 

"What do you mean?" 

 

"Well, there's no point in being curious. The one who cared for me my whole life is appa. Even if I do find out who my real parents are, what can I even say or do? The one who was there for 19 years of my life is appa... not them."

 

"Won't you want to reconnect with them?" 

 

"That's if they'll want me."

 

"I see." 

 

"Why do you ask?" 

 

"Oh. It's nothing. I just thought about my parents... My family. And I wondered about yours since you barely talk about it." 

 

"Appa told me not to simply mention him to others before so I didn't." 

 

"Then what about your appa's family? Have you ever asked him about it?" 

 

"Once. He... Said he had nothing to say about them and that was the last of that conversation."

 

"Secretive much?" 

 

"It's not like he could have said my parents are vampires and so am I if he wanted to hide it from me." 

 

"Or there could be something more," Wooyoung whispered but since San knew nothing, it was pretty pointless to continue the topic too. "Hmm... What about your future, San? I know we agreed that we would go out together in the world and work in the same place. But... What about family? Do you want kids and things like that?" 

 

"If I'm still allowed to dream of my own future, I guess all I can ask for now is a nice apartment and games that I haven't tried."

 

"You're such an indoor person even though you look nothing like it," Wooyoung sighed. "I bet you didn't even want to go on that field trip." 

 

"Aha... you got me. I did want to go... with you. But if I had to go alone, I probably would have just stayed home." 

 

Wooyoung sneakily smiled and cleared his throat. "Oh, I see a budget hotel there." 

 

"Guess we can hunker up there for the night and move again in the morning." 

 

"Sounds good. There's also another convenient store if you want to grab something to eat." 

 

San nodded and headed that way while Wooyoung waited for him outside as he hugged his arms. He didn't feel cold but inside him felt it.