Chapter 2

In Aeternum

"Your dad is a what?!" Wooyoung half screamed into San's ears as they huddled under the staircase during lunch break as it was their secret hideout. Barely anyone passed by there either so it was the best spot for them to hang out without any distractions. 

 

"Shhh! You're too loud," San whined and Wooyoung's eyes twinkled. 

 

"A vampire! That's just as cool as being a hitman or assassin, if not cooler," Wooyoung gasped. San had no idea why he was telling Wooyoung this when he hadn't even confronted Seonghwa about it but the other had been pestering him the entire morning since he looked half dead and demanded to know why. 

 

"Cool? You think that's cool?" San asked and Wooyoung noticed his friend's worried expression. He tried to calm down and nodded. 

 

"Of course. Vampires are like, super strong and really fast, right? Your dad is basically superman." 

 

"My dad?" San questioned with a tone filled with doubt. He knew his dad was many things but superman wasn't one of them. The man, however caring and nice he was, was also a clumsy man. San remembered when Seonghwa had forgotten to pack lunch for him and San had sulked the entire day so to make it up to him, Seonghwa had bought a 5 flavored ice cream for him despite him having a toothache. That man being a vampire superman? San could barely process it anymore. The more he tried to relate his dad to those blood creatures, the more he couldn't. 

 

"San~?" Wooyoung cooed to get his friend's attention. "Look, worrying about it isn't going to help. What did you do after you heard them talking about this whole vampire lord and not going to leave you thing?" 

 

"My dad came out from the room and asked me to wash up. I... I basically screamed like a baby and ran away. I couldn't even meet his eyes this morning... oh my god. I'm such a horrible son," San whined and Wooyoung quickly moved to his side to hug him. 

 

"Don't think that, San ah. You're a wonderful son," Wooyoung said and San buried his face on the other's shoulder. 

 

"But I don't know how to face him after what I heard yesterday... He even pretended that everything was fine. I mean... I know my dad won't push me to talk about things I don't want to nor will he force me to say what's troubling me. Ah. Was that what it was... he's giving me space to think..."

 

Wooyoung couldn't help but think that San could sometimes be a gullible idiot. He patted his head assuringly. "What about this? When you go home today, sit him down and talk to him about it. 

 

San bit his lip and closed his eyes tightly. "But..." 

 

"No buts, San. I know you too well. You'll let this eat you up until you break down eventually and things will turn out worse," Wooyoung said and San looked at him. 

 

"Since when were you the smarter one between us?" San asked jokingly and Wooyoung fake gasped. 

 

"You hurt me. I'm a genius, please," Wooyoung replied dramatically and San smiled a little. "There you go. A smile fits you better." 

 

"Sweet talker," San scoffed and rolled his eyes but he did feel better and more that Wooyoung listened to him without doubting him. 

 

"Still, it's a huge thing. To suddenly know that the man who raised you is a vampire. Even I would be shocked and scream," Wooyoung said. "I might even react negatively by throwing something so I think you running away is just basic human instinct." 

 

San smiled sheepishly at Wooyoung's efforts to comfort him as he leaned on the other's shoulder even though Wooyoung was shorter than him by just a tiny bit. "You're right. I should talk to appa about this instead of worrying myself over it... I might have hurt his feelings by running away like that too." 

 

"There you go, my Sannie boy," Wooyoung said cheekily and scratched San's chin as a form of affection that the other loved. San looked at Wooyoung and gulped as he felt his chest tighten and mind melt.

 

Wait. 

 

"Does this mean I'm a vampire?" San blurted out and sat up with wide eyes. 

 

"Hah? No way," Wooyoung said and laughed nervously before turning San's head to face him. San blushed and wondered what Wooyoung was doing when he stuck a thumb into his mouth. "Nope, no fangs." 

 

"Did you seriously have to stick your thumb into my mouth for that?" San groaned at how they literally have no sense of private space sometimes. 

 

"I just had to make sure by myself. I mean, you've never once thought of drinking my blood... right, Sannie?" 

 

San blinked innocently and decided to tease Wooyoung a little by smirking, making the smaller male shudder and move back slightly. "Y-yah. That's not funny."

 

San giggled and snuggled up against his friend again. "Of course not. I would never hurt you, Young ah."

 

"Oh great." 

 

"I've never wanted to drink blood before and I'm not... oh. That's why appa is so cold," San muttered as he recalled how cold Seonghwa always felt. He thought it was because the other stayed indoors a lot but it made more sense now that he was cold because he was a vampire. "I'm very warm~ "

 

"You are," Wooyoung said as he hugged San. "By the way, this means you didn't ask him about the field trip right?" 

 

"Shoot. I totally forgot about it." 

 

"It's fine. Just talk to him about, you know, being a vampire first." 

 

"Ugh... I don't even dare to imagine how our conversation would go. Hey, dad, I know you're a vampire now so can I go on a field trip?" 

 

"Sounds good to me," Wooyoung chuckled and San nudged him. 

 

"I'm being serious here." 

 

"Don't overthink it, Sannie. Maybe things will go easier than you imagine. After all, he is still going to be your dad after all this, isn't he? And he also said that he wasn't going to leave you so that means he loves you a lot." 

 

San blinked and suddenly, his world felt bright again. He sat up and grabbed Wooyoung by the shoulders. "Woo, you genius!" 

 

"Huh? What? I mean, of course I am." 

 

"Appa is still going to be my appa no matter what. This shouldn't change anything," San said with a bright smile. That's right. Seonghwa took care of him all these years. This wasn't how he should repay his dad. He felt much lighter with that perspective and was glad that Wooyoung was by his side. "Thank you, Wooyoung." 

 

"You're welcome. Let's go back to class now." 

 

÷÷÷

 

Things were still easier said than done most of the time though. San stood in front of his home, hands shaking slightly at the thought of having to confront his dad but he thought about what Wooyoung said and steeled himself. The more he thought about this, the more he was just going to wear himself down. He opened the door and walked in as per usual, tightening his grip on his bag strap as he walked to the dining room to find his dad reading a newspaper in the dim light with his glasses sitting at the tip of his nose, looking like it was struggling to stay there but still somehow not falling. San gulped as he stood there, staring at his dad who looked just like he always did. The same black hair, sometimes styled but mostly down. The sharp eyes, pointed nose and thin lips. Seonghwa looked up after a while and slid the glasses higher up his nose bridge. 

 

"Welcome home, San," Seonghwa said and smiled gently. The same gentle smile he always had. San jumped a little and hurriedly took a seat in front of his dad who put away his glasses and newspaper as if he could already guess that San had something to say to him but San couldn't find the words so they sat in silence for a whole minute and twenty seconds before Seonghwa spoke, "What do you want for dinner?" 

 

"Huh?" 

 

"It's getting late. You should be hungry soon." 

 

"Ah... appa." 

 

"Yes?" 

 

Deep breaths. 

 

"Appa... I... I have something to ask." 

 

"Go ahead," Seonghwa said calmly while leaning his head on one arm. San glanced up at his dad who looked like a porcelain statue at that moment, reminding San that he did think his dad looked out of this world sometimes but there were plenty of beautiful people in this world. Maybe all vampires were actually beautiful? No, no, that's besides the point, San. You're just dragging for time now, he scolded himself before he placed his bag down and sat up straight. 

 

"Are you... are you really... a.... A..." 

 

"A?" 

 

San curled his hands into fists to calm himself down and let out a shaky breath before looking up at Seonghwa again. "V-v-vampa-ow. I bit my tongue." 

 

"Are you okay, San?" Seonghwa asked worriedly and his hands reached out, gently holding his face in his hands. San felt a shudder run down his spine just like it always had since he was never ready for how cold Seonghwa was. He never realised it until now though. His eyes stayed glued on his dad who checked the inside of his mouth. "Don't think you're bleeding. That's good." 

 

"Appa, are you a vampire?" San blurted out and he felt Seonghwa's hands stiffen before they left his face slowly. Seonghwa smiled gently but also uneasily. 

 

"So you did hear my conversation yesterday. I was hoping that you didn't," he said softly and San gulped as he firmed himself for the truth. 

 

"I did... a bit. Right when you said that you were never leaving me," San said truthfully. 

 

"I see." 

 

"So..." 

 

"Yes, I am," Seonghwa said after some consideration. San cursed himself silently as he saw how torn his dad looked, not an expression he had seen often but not one that he liked to see either. 

 

"Were you... ever going to tell me?" San asked carefully and Seonghwa shook his head. 

 

"I was going to avoid it for as long as I could." 

 

"But why?" San couldn't help as he was starting to get more curious at every answer he got from his dad. 

 

"Because I didn't want to involve you in any of this matter. It's better to be in the dark on certain things," Seonghwa replied and let out a sigh. 

 

"But you never age a day, appa." 

 

"I know but you'll eventually grow up and you already are. I saw the pamphlets in your room when I was cleaning," Seonghwa said and San tilted his head. "You were looking for a new place to live, weren't you?"

 

"Ah. Those..." San hadn't been able to tell Seonghwa about his future plans since he had been far too occupied with college work this entire time. He knew he had drifted from his dad but he didn't realise it was this bad until now. "Yeah... Wooyoung and I made plans for the future... after we graduate a- wait, no changing the topic." 

 

"I'm not, San. Eventually, you would grow to be your own person with your own life. Maybe you'll forget me too. I was probably counting on that so you would never have to know what I truly am," Seonghwa said in a painful tone that San truly wished he never had to know that his dad was a vampire but he couldn't go back now. He could only move forward. 

 

"Appa... You always put me first," San said, unintentionally tearing up at how caring his dad was. "Isn't hiding it more difficult? All this time... you were a vampire but you still ate with me. You played with me under the sun. Appa." 

 

"Don't cry, San. You know it hurts me to see you cry," Seonghwa said gently and wiped his tears away. 

 

"But I... I can't believe that I just wanted to be ignorant to everything. Appa, I... am I a vampire?" San asked since he was feeling skeptical after Wooyoung had asked him that. 

 

"Hmm? Oh, San. No, you're not. You're human," Seonghwa said and smiled. "You'll grow old, find someone you love or maybe even not but you'll eventually.... Eventually find the life you want and be happy. All I ever want for you is for you to be happy. That's why I allowed you to attend college outside when you asked so fervently. I don't ever want you to feel caged with me. You have your own freedom. Your own path." 

 

San fell silent as he just tried to process their conversation. He had never once felt trapped with his dad but that was probably because he had an introverted personality to begin with. He didn't think his life was abnormal until he met Wooyoung and learned about the other's life. Family vacations, school trips. Still, San never felt envious about it. He didn't think he needed those as long as Seonghwa loved him. And now he knew why. Seonghwa was the reason. He showed San how to love unconditionally and always placed him first. What more could he ask for? 

 

"Then... What was that conversation about?" San asked once he felt calmer and more accepting of the current situation. 

 

"Hmm?" 

 

"About a vampire lord? And that guy. Ah! That who grabbed you." 

 

Seonghwa raised his brows before letting out a low chuckle. "That guy you saw was Hong joong. He was my ex lover." 

 

"Huh? You had a lover, appa?" 

 

"Of course. A long time ago. I broke up with him the day before I found you," Seonghwa said. San wondered if it had anything to do with him but it felt like a prickly subject now. He still wasn't sure how much his dad would be willing to tell him. "He came to ask me to go back to my old home where vampires live together." 

 

San felt his childish curiosity come back and hoped that Seonghwa wouldn't decide to stop talking about it. He just wanted to know more about his dad. 

 

"There, we have a vampire lord who basically rules over the vampires. Just like how humans have presidents here. But a vampire lord is more of a... kingly figure and we aren't really a democratic species."

 

"But that Hong joong guy said something about selecting one." 

 

"Our current vampire lord has reached the end of his lifespan so there will be a competition for the next in line. It's part of our custom to select the next Lord in a competition. It's more of a battleground though where the few potential ones would fight to see who is fit for the title."

 

San nodded and felt calmer since Seonghwa always had a calm energy to him that made San feel safe. Maybe Wooyoung was right, maybe this wasn't as difficult as he thought it would have been. 

 

"What does that have to do with you?" San asked curiously and Seonghwa fiddled with his glasses. 

 

"Well, nothing and everything. You have heard of the term pure blood vampires, right?" Seonghwa asked since they had watched some cringeworthy vampire dramas together before. San nodded and gasped as he felt like he knew what his dad was about to say. "I'm one of those types. A pureblood, unsullied by any other types of blood."

 

"Appa, you're like those super strong vampires?" 

 

"No, not at all. Just because I'm pure blooded doesn't mean I'm strong."

 

"Then those shows we watched are all lies?" San asked with a tilt in his head. 

 

"There are some truths and some lies. But in my experience, just because of my blood, it doesn't mean I'm all that strong. But that's besides the case now too. What I'm trying to say is that vampires do prefer having pure bloods as their Lord," Seonghwa continued. "Hong joong wants me to participate in the selection along with him." 

 

"Hmm? Why? He's your ex, isn't he?" 

 

"Because our abilities together are pretty broken," Seonghwa answered. "Also it was a one-sided breakup. Hongjoong still hasn't given up on me yet." 

 

San wanted to know more about their relationship but there was also so much information he had to absorb now that he wasn't sure how to handle them all. 

 

"Well, he wants my ability to help him win the selection. That way, he can become the vampire lord." 

 

"I see... and you won't go?" 

 

"I'd rather die than let that jerk become a vampire lord," Seonghwa scoffed, something San didn't know his dad could do. He chuckled a little, sincerely wondering why he was even afraid now. His dad was still his dad. He was relieved to know that. 

 

"I see. Then why don't you become the vampire lord yourself?" San asked as a joke but Seonghwa's expression made him regret his question. 

 

"San ah... I can't possibly be a vampire lord. The competition isn't as simple as you think. There are battles that are to the death," Seonghwa replied in a softer tone. "And I'd have to leave you here alone if I go back. I won't do that to you." 

 

San felt shaken to know that they would fight to the death just to become the next vampire lord but it also showed him how important the title just might be. He was, however, more than glad that his dad decided not to go. He wouldn't know what to do if he suddenly lost him. 

 

"Thank you, appa." 

 

"Hmm?" 

 

"For being truthful to me and explaining things to me."

 

"I wouldn't want to lie to you, San. Although I do hide many things, I don't want you to think that you can't come and talk to me if you ever need help or anything at all." 

 

San got up and headed to his dad, giving him a tight hug. "I love you, appa." 

 

"I love you too, San. I won't let anyone hurt you." 

 

With that said, a new question sprouted in San's head and he looked at Seonghwa worriedly. "That Hongjoong guy won't attack me to get to you, would he?" 

 

"You watch too many dramas," Seonghwa said and ruffled his hair. "Besides, I just said that I won't let anyone hurt you and I mean every word I say." 

 

"Appa, does this mean you drink blood?" 

 

"I do." 

 

"Eh?! When? I've never seen you drink blood before," San gasped and Seonghwa headed to the fridge. 

 

"You have, San ah. But they're bagged blood," Seonghwa said as he opened it and took out the beetroot juice carton. San gasped in surprise. "You hate vegetables so you never even tried it out of curiosity."

 

"Wait, wait. Those beetroot cartons were filled with blood all this time?!" San exclaimed and Seonghwa nodded, finding San's confused expression cute. "H-human blood?" 

 

"Hmm? Well, no." 

 

"No?" 

 

"I can live off animal blood," Seonghwa replied nonchalantly and San wasn't sure whether to feel repulsed or not in that particular moment. He was open to many things and he himself had tried pig's blood before so it shouldn't be anything new but now he understood why Seonghwa preferred his steak cooked just a little. "I haven't drank human's blood for many years." 

 

"Haven't? So you had...?" 

 

"Yes. Back when I was still living amongst vampires. It was almost a detestable thing to live off animal blood," Seonghwa replied. "I have hunted humans before and I regret my actions now. Ah. I'm sorry... if I'm not the model dad..." 

 

"You... killed humans before?" San asked carefully and Seonghwa shook his head. 

 

"I don't usually go in for the kill. My ex did it for me," Seonghwa said before he realised how bad it still sounded. "I... well, there's nothing I can say that would make it sound better." 

 

"It's fine, appa."

 

"Huh?"

 

"I know you, the you now would never hurt me or my friend. The you before was just surviving in the way you knew how to, right?" San said, trying to sound confident. Seonghwa smiled and felt his tears well up. 

 

"Right... thank you, San. You make me feel alive sometimes." 

 

"You are alive, appa." 

 

Seonghwa chuckled and nodded. "I am. It's getting late. You should eat. I'll make ramen for you." 

 

"Okay. I'll go clean up. Oh, one more thing, appa." 

 

"Yeah?" 

 

"Vampire or not. You'll always be my only dad," San said and smiled before grabbing his bag and headed upstairs. Seonghwa let a tear slip before rubbing them away. He felt grateful to be alive everyday now ever since the day he found San. Even if he could go back in time, he would still pick San all over again.