Chapter 5

In Aeternum

A short but buff stature squatted at the top of the building, wiping his hands clean of any blood whilst Yunho walked up to him. 

 

"He barely ever contacted us these past 15 years and the first thing he asks of us is to kill?" the young looking male asked Yunho who sat beside him. 

 

"To be fair, he already told us that he didn't want his son to be involved with any vampires," Yunho said as he recalled their last meeting. "And besides, you still got the job done." 

 

"Tcheh. They're weak. These guys that Hongjoong hyung chose can barely lift a hand at us. I don't know why Seonghwa hyung even let them escape." 

 

"He didn't. His son and his friend were being attacked. Besides, Seonghwa hyung isn't the same as he was before too. He's much softer," Yunho said and Jongho sighed. 

 

"I'm relieved that at least he got to have 19 years worth of a breather."

 

"What do you mean?" 

 

"I heard the overseer has a new prophecy. I'll be going back to check it out after we find hyung to see what else he wants from us." 

 

"Then let's not waste anymore time," Yunho said as he transformed into a bat and they both headed towards Seonghwa's home. It was already 5am in the morning and the two wondered if they would spend the morning in Seonghwa's home just as they had before. Before Seonghwa had decided that he wanted San to stay in the dark regarding vampires. Seonghwa opened the door for them and they strutted in quietly. 

 

"Is it done?" he asked softly and Yunho nodded. 

 

"Not a trace left of them either," Jongho said and Seonghwa held the two of them, pulling them into a group hug. 

 

"I've missed the two of you very much," Seonghwa said and Jongho scoffed. 

 

"So much that you didn't bother contacting us?" 

 

"Jongho, don't be mean," Yunho sighed but Seonghwa didn't mind. 

 

"It was just a matter of precaution. You know I can feel how the two of you feel if I just reach out with my feelings. It's one of the pros of being the mother bloodline," Seonghwa said as he ushered them to sit down. 

 

"So now that he knows, can we go back to the way we were before?" Jongho asked curiously and Seonghwa let his gaze fall. 

 

"I'm afraid it's more than that, Jongho. I need both of you to guide and teach Wooyoung," he said and the younger vampires stared at him in confusion. 

 

"Why can't you do it?" Yunho asked and Seonghwa lifted his head to look at them. 

 

"I have a score to settle with Hongjoong. Who knows what else he has in store... I plan to set up some traps just in case he attacks again," Seonghwa explained. 

 

"But we can do that for you," Jongho said and paused momentarily before he decided to change the question he had in mind before. "Who did you say Wooyoung was again?" 

 

"My son's friend."

 

"Is that why? You're afraid you'll be soft on him and in turn make it difficult for him to learn how to be one of us?" 

 

"That's partially the reason. The other being that I've always been a vampire. There are probably some situations which I never had to go through, unlike the both of you who were humans before," Seonghwa said. "So... if you could help me with this, I would really appreciate it." 

 

"Hyung, you know I would do anything for you," Yunho said. "But what about your son?" 

 

"There's something I have to tell you about my son. Something no one else but me and Hongjoong knows," Seonghwa said in a serious tone. 

 

÷÷÷

 

The entire night proved difficult for San to sleep. Every time he thought about his friend laying down in the room, he felt like sobbing again and every time he thought about how things would never be the same again, it made him feel hurt. He hugged his bolster tightly, wishing the night would pass faster so that he could see Wooyoung in the morning but then he started to wonder. Will Wooyoung even be able to see the mornings again? That thought made him sit up and realization dawned upon him. The reason why Seonghwa said this was the only decision he wouldn't allow him to regret. He kicked his covers off and headed down to find his dad. He saw Seonghwa at the door as he headed down the stairs and rushed up to him as fast as he could just as he left. 

 

"Appa!" he yelled but the door shut and San was left dumbfounded. Where was his dad going? Should we chase after him? 

 

"San sshi, yo-" 

 

"Wah!" San yelped and spun around quickly, pressing his back against the door in surprise. The tall vampire stood behind him with bewildered eyes. "Ah, you... the one who carried me." 

 

"I'm called Yunho," he said and smiled. "I see you're still awake." 

 

"S-so are you," San blurted out nervously. He blamed it on the dark making him all jumpy. 

 

"What are you still doing up?" 

 

"I... I wanted to talk to appa but... where is he going? He didn't even say bye to me," San said with a tiny sulk. 

 

"Ah... he won't be around for a few days," Yunho explained as he sat down on the chair. Feeling uncomfortable, San decided to turn on the table lamp for himself. 

 

"Why not? Appa has never left the house without telling me before and a few days too?" This time, it was San's turn to feel bewildered. He felt like Seonghwa's secrets only grew bigger despite him thinking that his dad being a vampire was already a huge secret. 

 

"Don't worry about him. He can handle himself," Yunho said. "He asked me and Jongho to take care of both of you so you're in safe hands." 

 

"Jongho? Who is that?" San asked as he stuck close to the table lamp. 

 

"That would be me," a voice spoke up from the guest room and another person who he couldn't really see well, walked out. San wondered if they could all see in the dark since neither of them moved to turn the lights on. 

 

"Oh, hello," he said awkwardly. "I'm... San." 

 

"Yes, I know." 

 

"Um... so you'll be staying here for now?" 

 

"Yes but don't worry about us. We can handle ourselves," Yunho replied. "Ah, before we forget, we have to warn you not to go near Wooyoung sshi for a couple of days first until we say it's okay." 

 

"Hmm? Appa said something like that too... Will Wooyoung...change completely?" San asked while fiddling with his fingers nervously. 

 

"Change as in...?" 

 

"His personality and everything..." 

 

"Of course not. He'll just... be nocturnal, thirst for blood and have boosted physicals. We aren't too sure if he has an ability yet but-" 

 

"Ability?" 

 

"Ah, yes."

 

"It's like we have to educate two children instead," Jongho scoffed and San frowned. It's not like he had stayed in the dark about this on purpose. "In any case, the guest room is off limits to you." 

 

"Eh... when can I see Wooyoung then? I know you say a few days but how many days is that?" San asked. "What about school and his family?" 

 

"Do you really want to risk everyone knowing that Wooyoung is a vampire now?" Jongho asked and that question alone made San's heart clench again. Ah. What has he done to his best friend? 

 

"I..." 

 

"Jongho, don't be so mean. You'll be taking a break from school too, San sshi. Seonghwa doesn't want either of you roaming around alone until he's back," Yunho said and San pursed his lips. Why didn't Seonghwa tell him all these by himself? Why did he leave these two strangers in charge? Despite believing that they were strangers, in some corner of his memories, San felt as if they weren't completely strangers either. He knew them or felt like he did but he just couldn't wrap his head around it. "Go up and rest, San sshi. We can talk more tomorrow." 

 

"Okay..." San was reluctant to go to his room alone but being unable to see Wooyoung or talk to Seonghwa made him feel even more alone. He went back to his room and unexpectedly fell asleep faster than he had tried earlier but his rest did not last long as he heard a scream after a couple of hours of sleep. He awoke to a thin line of sunlight peeking in through his curtain and sat up, wondering if he had dreamt that scream or if it was real. The answer came faster than he could process as another scream echoed through their house. "Wooyoung?" 

 

San didn't think twice as he tossed his blanket off and rushed down the stairs. He would recognise his friend's voice even through a call. He reached the guest room and tried to open the door out of worry despite Seonghwa and Yunho's warnings but it wouldn't budge. He could hear Wooyoung wailing inside and felt his heart sink. 

 

"Wooyoung? Wooyoung, it's me, San. Are you alright?" 

 

The wailing came to a pause before he heard quick shuffles to the door and a sharp hiss that followed. "S-Sannie?" 

 

"Yeah, it's me, Wooyoung ah," San said, trying to keep a tight hold on his emotions from how scared his friend sounded. 

 

"San... San. San, what's going on?" Wooyoung whimpered and tried to touch the door but it let out an electric spark that made him let go. "San, why am I here alone? What's going on... please, I'm scared, San ah. Open the door." 

 

San tried again but the door wouldn't budge and he let out a whimper himself too. He knew Wooyoung got scared easily just like him but he couldn't open what he couldn't. 

 

"I'm here with you. Don't worry," he said as calmly as he could muster but he just wanted to break the door down and pull Wooyoung into a hug to assure him everything was fine. 

 

"San ah... San," Wooyoung repeated like a broken record as he didn't know what was going on. He didn't know where he was, he didn't understand anything at all. Why couldn't he touch the walls or the window or even the door? Why was San outside the door? None of it made sense. "Can't you just open the door?" 

 

"I can't, Young ah... it won't open," San whined and tried to shake the door but it wouldn't even move an inch. He clenched his jaw and wondered if there was anything he could use to break it but before that thought was put into action, the front door opened and Yunho stepped in with the sunlight shining behind him. The vampire had worn a hoodie, sunglasses and even a mask to lower the exposure of the sun on his skin. He lowered the mask once the door was shut and removed his sunglasses too. San gasped and quickly went up to him. "Yunho sshi, why can't I open the door?" 

 

"Because Jongho put a barrier around the room. He was afraid that your friend might make noises that make you open the door. Seems like he was right about that," Yunho replied as he placed the bag of food down. "San sshi, you can't go inside. Just behave and wait out here."

 

"But something is making Wooyoung scream and that makes me uneasy," San argued but Yunho beelined to the room. "Please let me just make sure he's okay." 

 

"Sorry, San sshi. Seonghwa's orders," Yunho said and opened the door by a peek. Wooyoung gulped as he saw the door opening. He was about to rush out when the tall vampire stepped in and all his thoughts shrunk down as he squeaked and shifted backwards instead. 

 

"I-I am n-not afraid of you!" Wooyoung stuttered while glancing back to see if he had any more space to walk back to. 

 

"Oh, please don't be," Yunho said as he quickly shut the door before either of the males had any bright idea. 

 

"W-who are you? D-did you kidnap me and San?! I'll fight you!" Wooyoung hissed, trying to sound confident but he couldn't help flinching every time Yunho came closer. 

 

"Oh, I didn't. This is Seonghwa hyung's home which means that it is also San's home," Yunho said calmly and Wooyoung shook his head in denial. 

 

"Why should I trust you? Are you... Are you trying to make me feel relaxed and then make me do whatever you want?! I may not be the smartest but I won't be tricked!" Wooyoung growled and Yunho wondered how he was going to explain the situation when the other wasn't calm at all. 

 

"Hmm... you don't remember what happened yesterday?" Yunho decided to ask instead and Wooyoung visibly started to think back on the day before. It didn't take too long before his mouth dropped open and his hand shot up to his neck. His blood had already been wiped away so all that was left were small puncture holes on his neck and shoulder. He tried to look at them but couldn't really see them except for the one on his shoulder. 

 

"What... What is all this? Is this a prank? San ah, this is just a joke right?" Wooyoung asked aloud and the male who had been standing outside the door the whole time lowered his gaze in guilt. "San! Tell me this is a joke! I'm... I'm still me, right?" 

 

"You are still you," Yunho said and walked towards the curtains. "But also more than that now."

 

"What are you saying? What are you doing?" Wooyoung asked worriedly as he stepped away from the curtains. 

 

"Seonghwa hyung had no choice but to do what he did to save you yesterday," Yunho said and pulled the curtain open just a little to let the light in. Wooyoung's body reacted before he even processed his thoughts. He hid from the light and surprised him. Wooyoung had always loved the sun, its warmth and its light but why was it that his body was so afraid of it now? He looked at Yunho with wide, fear-stricken eyes. 

 

"What did he do to me?" Wooyoung could only let out a whisper as he clutched onto the chair that was in the room tightly. The chair snapped and he yelped, letting go of it in surprise to find that he had almost broken it. "What's going on... Please stop this. Whatever this is. I don't want it." 

 

"I'm sorry, Wooyoung sshi. It's too late," Yunho said as he closed the curtain so the other wouldn't freak out more. 

 

"I'm... I..." Wooyoung tried to say what he had become but the words became stuck as he felt that if he said it out, it would be all too true. He just shook his head and squatted down. "I'm not... I'm not." 

 

"Don't do that, Wooyoung sshi. You'll make San sshi sad," Yunho said gently as he approached the male slowly as if he was a scared little puppy. 

 

"Huh?" 

 

"Seonghwa hyung only turned you because you said you wanted San to stop crying," Yunho explained and Wooyoung felt like that conversation did happen. He had heard San crying and he just wanted it to stop. It hurt him to hear his friend hurt but to realise now that his friend was hurting because of him, made him feel even more hurt. 

 

"What have I done?" Wooyoung gasped and fell to the floor. He looked at his hands and felt as if he didn't recognise them. They were so pale compared to the slight tan he had before. "I..." 

 

"You were only trying to protect San," Yunho said as he squatted down. "You stepped into harm's way for him and... this is the outcome of it." 

 

"I'm... so I'm not... not human anymore?" Wooyoung asked carefully and Yunho nodded slowly. Wooyoung let out a whimper and pulled his legs towards himself to hug. "Then... I... I have to... I'm..." 

 

"Calm down, Wooyoung sshi. I know it's difficult to process at first but that's why I'm here along with Jongho.," Yunho said gently and reached out slowly to give him a pat on the shoulder. "We will teach you what you need to know to live as one of us." 

 

"Is there... isn't there any way for me to change back to a human?" Wooyoung asked in a tiny voice and Yunho could only pity the younger male. 

 

"If there was... is one, I'm sure Seonghwa hyung will figure it out," Yunho said, not wanting to rain on the poor boy's hopes. He had thought about a cure once before too but given the era he had turned in, there weren't any possible cures for him. "Right now, I just need you to stay calm and listen to me." 

 

"Ah, San, what about San? Is he alright? Is he safe?" Wooyoung interjected once he felt calmer about his situation. 

 

"Yes, he's safe."

 

"Thank goodness." 

 

Yunho patted the male's head and sighed. "You'll be able to meet him once you can control your thirst." 

 

"Really?" 

 

"Yes. But you'll also have to learn how to manage your strength or San's bones might end up like this chair," Yunho said and Wooyoung flinched. He had always been an avid hugger but now there was a risk in doing so carelessly. 

 

"So... you really didn't kidnap me?" 

 

Yunho chuckled and shook his head. "I'll tell you everything. Sit down on the bed and get comfy." 

 

"Oh okay. San ah?" 

 

"Yes, Wooyoung? I'm still here," San said nervously as he tried to listen in on their conversation. 

 

"I'm okay now. I'll be sure to work hard to see you again so wait for me, okay?" 

 

"En... okay," San replied, feeling relieved that Wooyoung sounded less afraid. He was thankful that Yunho had been the one who went inside and not Jongho. Despite Jongho's smaller stature, he definitely had an unfriendly look and tone that San was sure would have made Wooyoung more afraid. As much as he wanted to sit by the door the entire day just to be sure his friend would be fine, San's stomach disagreed with that. He quickly headed to the bathroom and washed up.