Chapter 25

In Aeternum

San was fine. He had managed to run away from Wooyoung after ducking into every possible turn he could find. He was also gasping for air as he hadn't sprinted that fast in a while. He couldn't even find a second to try to calm Wooyoung down earlier but something made his friend change targets and he didn't know whether to feel grateful or not since another vampire had died. He took a deep breath and continued making his way through the maze before finally finding his way out to the platform again. He blinked and peered out, the entire platform was destroyed and he felt himself freezing up at the sight before him. Wooyoung's arm had torn through Seonghwa's body and his best friend ripped his hand out. San felt as if time had slowed down in that moment as he watched his dad collapse with a gaping hole in his chest. 

 

"Appa...," he heard himself whisper before all his emotions rushed up and he screamed instead. "APPA!!" 

 

A few moments before that had occurred, the trio including Hongjoong had started becoming more worried when Seonghwa was unable to pin Wooyoung down. Even with his swapping abilities and Seonghwa trying to use the cuffs that San was in earlier, Wooyoung was an unstoppable force while Seonghwa had to restrain himself from hurting the younger, which resulted in him getting hurt worse. 

 

"Jongho, let's execute the plan. This can't go on. Even if it's just a distraction, maybe it'll help Seonghwa hyung do something," Yunho said, unable to watch Seonghwa get hurt anymore. 

 

"But..." Jongho clenched his jaw before slowly nodding. "Okay. Okay. Let's do it." 

 

Yunho nodded and turned into a bird. He landed on Jongho's hand and Jongho took a deep breath. He lifted Yunho and aimed towards Yeosang. Jongho threw Yunho with all his might, sending the other flying like a bullet. 

 

"The plan is simple. Yunho distracts Yeosang with Mingi. While that happens, it should make his control over Wooyoung easier to break. And after I get him under control, then comes your part, Hongjoong." 

 

But it was much easier said than done. Seonghwa coughed up some blood he felt building up and wiped it away with his palm as he took deep breaths. He noticed Yunho zipping pass and realised they had started the plan without his signal. 

 

Yunho hit Yeosang but the other felt like a wall of bricks. He spread his wings and started to slash at his face. Yeosang frowned and swatted Yunho aside, his eyes moving towards the right. Mingi took that chance to stab a syringe into his neck from the left and injected it before Yeosang hissed and swung his arm at Mingi who was knocked back. 

 

"What is the meaning of this?" Yeosang growled at the two males who quickly huddled up to each other as Yunho turned back, coughing painfully. "You will both be executed." 

 

"We are invisible!" Mingi quickly yelled as his eyes glowed. 

 

"What?" Yeosang blurted out when both of them disappeared from his sight, temporarily forgetting how Mingi's powers worked since his focus had been purely on Wooyoung recently. Mingi quickly pulled Yunho up and they both ran. 

 

Meanwhile Seonghwa was having a staredown with Wooyoung, he noticed the other seemed dazed for a moment and tried to open their telepathic connection as he dove into Wooyoung's mind. He was shocked to find himself surrounded by thorny vines since the last time he had been in here, it was a sunny beach. He heard a grunt and spun around to find Wooyoung a few feet away from him, trapped in between. He couldn't move or the vines would dig deeper into his skin but he noticed Seonghwa and cried out. 

 

"Appa, help me," he whimpered and Seonghwa wanted to tear through the vines but realised something was really wrong. He didn't have his powers nor did he feel strong. He felt... human. A strange feeling for a pureblood. He had never felt this... weak before. He knew wasn't strong even as a vampire but he's never felt this way. Like everything was capable of hurting him. Physically and mentally. 

 

"Wooyoung, I'll get you out of there but you have to fight it too. Take back control of your body." 

 

The vines started creeping closer to Seonghwa who took a step back. He wasn't even able to push himself forward to try to save Wooyoung. The dark shoved him out of Wooyoung's mind and they both came back to reality. Wooyoung grunted and Seonghwa felt his strength come back into his body. He wondered if that was why many vampires who turned from humans would lose their minds faster out of pure greed and the need for more power. To become a being so different from themselves. 

 

"Appa....," Wooyoung grunted and Seonghwa gasped. 

 

"Wooyoung?" He pushed himself up and approached him cautiously. "Are you alright?" 

 

"No!" Yeosang's voice boomed and Seonghwa looked up at the Overseer whose eyes burned red. It was a move he should not have done as that was what allowed Wooyoung to drive his hand through Seonghwa's body. Seonghwa gasped and looked down at the arm sticking into his body, feeling his insides get crushed. He saw the smirk on Wooyoung's face before his lips parted and his pupils trembled. Wooyoung gaped at what he had done, unable to say words as he pulled his hand out when he heard a scream. His head hurt, his body shook. Seonghwa collapsed onto the ground. What had he done? 

 

San came into view, clutching Seonghwa. 

 

No. No, no, no. I didn't do this. It wasn't me! 

 

Wooyoung gasped for air as he shifted backwards, unable to accept what he had done despite knowing that he had been under control. 

 

"SEONGHWA!" 

 

"APPA! Please... don't die!" 

 

Seonghwa looked at his son's teary face and couldn't help but to smile. "You're so... Grown up." 

 

"Appa? Appa, stay with me." 

 

Seonghwa removed his rings and dropped them onto the ground, the sign that Hongjoong needed to move on to his part of the plan. He lifted the bag filled with blood bags and threw it onto the platform. Before it landed, he made a crushing motion with his hands and the blood bags burst, raining blood upon those on the platform. 

 

"What is going on?" Yeosang hissed, unable to see the platform with the blood mist covering their view. 

 

"San...?" 

 

"Yes, appa? I'm right here." 

 

"I'm glad to call you my son." 

 

San didn't know what to do but to bawl his eyes out. He couldn't even tell if life was leaving Seonghwa since the other was already cold to begin with but the gaping hole in his body didn't help San's thoughts at all. Seonghwa looked at Wooyoung who was fighting with his own actions and lifted his hands. His own vision was starting to blur out but he held on, aiming his powers towards Wooyoung and the entirety of the arena. 

 

"Appa, what are you..." 

 

"One last time..." Seonghwa snapped his fingers. 

 

Blood started spurting out of Wooyoung's body just as it was raining down with blood too. The human turned vampire felt as if his entire body had been ripped apart and put back together, driving his senses mad and unable to keep up with his own mind. San gasped and covered Seonghwa, unable to understand what was going on now. Wooyoung gasped and fell to his knees before collapsing. Everything happened too fast for San to even see anything. One moment there was blood raining down and the next, it was all gone. San looked up and saw his best friend laying on the ground, motionless and so was his dad who had gone still. 

 

"Appa...? Wooyoung?" He muttered and looked at the two most important people in life. He didn't know what to feel or think as his breathing quickened and trembled. "Appa.... Appa. Wooyoung! Wooyoung, get up..." 

 

"Did it fail?" Jongho gritted his teeth and climbed up the wall, ready to dive down to help but Yeosang was faster. The moment the blood had dissipated and their vision repaired, he jumped down and landed a few feet away from the trio. Nostrils flaring and eyes glaring. The whole arena fell into silence from Yeosang's mere pressure and Jongho felt frozen in place too. 

 

"What have you done?!" Yeosang boomed and San flinched. He didn't even know what had happened but he just knew that he felt alone and tired. Still, as Yeosang approached them, San pushed himself up and stood between him and the two people he loved most. 

 

"Haven't you had enough? They're dead," San cried out. "Just stop it already." 

 

"When vampires die, their bodies turn to ashes. Seonghwa's body is still intact. I will make sure he fully perishes!" Yeosang growled and San gasped at the thought that his dad was still alive. 

 

"Then I definitely won't let you near him!" San said, feeling a little more hopeful and went into a fighting stance but Yeosang was having none of it. His speed was not something San could even fathom and neither was his strength. Barely even a blink of an eye happened and Yeosang had already covered the distance between them, he swung his arm at San who tried to block it but was sent flying instead. He yelped and almost crashed into the wall but felt himself getting caught by a pair of arms instead. He gasped and saw a suave looking man with black hair slicked back wearing a traditional robe stylishly and an hourglass necklace rested upon his chest. Yeosang's eyes widened at the sight of the male and the male smiled. 

 

"And here I thought I was early but it seems I got the invitation to the party late." 

 

"How... How is this possible?" 

 

"How indeed." 

 

"You should be... In bed." 

 

"But I am." The vampire gently placed San down onto the platform and whispers echoed around them. He walked towards Wooyoung and squatted down before brushing his hair off his face. "It seems like the transformation was just barely a success." 

 

"Who are you...?" San asked and the vampire stood up, holding his hand out and a gentle green light surrounded Wooyoung. 

 

"I am the vampire lord, Lee Soo-hyuk. All vampires, bow before me and listen to my voice," the man spoke in volumes. The vampires started dropping to their knees one after another including Yeosang who tried to fight against it but couldn't. San gaped at the sheer power the man held with just his words alone, wondering if he should bow too. "This prophecy ends here. There will not be a new election of a vampire lord while I am still in control. Jung Wooyoung and Choi San, from this moment on, will be under my direct protection. If any of you even think about going after them to hurt them, you will not be spared an easy death. Do I make myself clear?"

 

"Yes, my lord," echoed around the arena and San could only gape in amazement. Soo-hyuk moved over to Seonghwa and placed his hand over the gaping hole. San quickly moved over to his side. 

 

"Can you save him?" 

 

"Save him? Your father is a capable vampire. He used a barrier to prevent too much blood loss and went into a comatose state to recover. He will be fine. Although it was a dangerous maneuver that he did, you could have lost both of them," Soo-hyuk said calmly as he healed Seonghwa's gaping wound. 

 

"T-thank you. Thank you so much."

 

"No need to thank me. If not for his existence, I would not have lived to see the day a vampire is able to turn back into human. This is history," Soo-hyuk said to San's confusion. 

 

"What do you mean?" 

 

"Your friend. He's human again." 

 

San's expression was one of confusion, excitement and disbelief. Wooyoung, a human? Jongho and Hongjoong quickly made their way down once they were able to move again as San rushed to Wooyoung's side to check on him. 

 

"This cannot be happening.... All my plans. You will not ruin everything," Yeosang growled and started to move forward but Jongho and Hongjoong quickly stepped between them. Jongho put up a barrier when Yeosang swung his hand. As if he was conjuring up a storm with just a single swing of his hand, the barrier rattled and made sharp noises. San quickly picked Wooyoung up and rushed to his dad's side. 

 

"Stop this. You're just embarrassing yourself," Hongjoong said as he picked up a couple of broken tile pieces. He tossed them towards Yeosang and they exploded on him but it didn't seem to faze the other who was angry. 

 

"Get out of my way! I've lived far too long without Wooyoung and now that he's back, I won't let him leave!" 

 

"He's not the same person you know anymore. You have to let him go." 

 

And then what? 

 

"My entire life... is dedicated to him. Without him..." Yeosang curled his fists and let out a loud scream with the wind going mad all over them. If it wasn't for Jongho's barrier, they would have gotten buffeted by it. The other onlookers also quickly hid behind the walls away from the debris and rocks. 

 

"What do we do?" San asked Soo-hyuk who stood up. The gaping hole on Seonghwa had closed up but the other still remained unconscious. 

 

"I'm sending all of you back to the human realm. I'll try to subdue the Overseer." 

 

"Alone? But he looks strong." 

 

"He is but he is not the only one with years of experience," Soo-hyuk said gently and patted San's shoulder. "Live, child. You're still too young to die here." 

 

"Ah..." Before San could thank the vampire again for saving their lives, darkness engulfed him. He held onto Wooyoung tightly and shut his eyes. 

 

The sound of the wind died down along with the worried screams of people he knew. He blinked his eyes open to find himself in his living room. Wooyoung still in his arms and Seonghwa on the couch. It surprised and confused him that they really managed to escape. He thought for sure that he was going to die there. The sound of footsteps rushing down the stairs startled him and he didn't know how to react but calmed down as soon as he realized that it was Jongho and Hongjoong. 

 

"We are back...?" Jongho said. "In the house." 

 

"Yes. The vampire lord sent us back," San said since Jongho looked confused. 

 

"Oh... ah. Hyung," Jongho said and headed over to Seonghwa's side to check on him with Hongjoong. San stepped back, still keeping Wooyoung close to him. He didn't have time to notice it just now but he could feel Wooyoung's body warmth come back. It was almost... a miracle in his eyes. San wasn't sure how this whole thing worked but Wooyoung definitely felt human again. His skin glowed and his lips bright pink. Still, his exhaustion caught up to him and San sank to the floor. He cradled Wooyoung in his arms and listened to his friend's heartbeat. 

 

"You did great, San." San looked up to find Jongho smiling at him. "You should go get some rest too. I'll help you carry Wooyoung upstairs to your room for you. If that's fine with you." 

 

"That... That would be nice but... I don't have energy in my own legs either." 

 

"I'll just carry both of you then." Jongho lifted Wooyoung onto one of his shoulders and pulled San up onto his other shoulder. 

 

"Sorry... and thank you." 

 

"Don't mention it. It's really been one wild ride." Jongho brought the both of them upstairs before gently placing them down onto San's bed. Forget cleaning up, San was just too worn out to think about anything else right now. Too many things had happened that his emotional state was just a complete mess. He thanked Jongho before the other went downstairs again. He turned to face Wooyoung and pulled the other into a protective embrace. Everything felt like a fever dream if he was being honest. One that he wouldn't mind waking up from if it meant none of this happened. 

 

"What are you going to do now?" Hongjoong asked Jongho as the younger arrived at the bottom of the stairs. 

 

"Find Yunho and continue on with my life. I can't stay here and protect them forever. That's Seonghwa hyung's responsibility, not mine. I just needed to see this to the end and I believe this is it for now." 

 

"I see." 

 

"And you?" 

 

"Well, it depends on Seonghwa."

 

Jongho thinned out his lips before sighing. "Sorry if I was rude to you. Seonghwa hyung didn't talk much about you but my grudge with you lies in you killing my brother." 

 

"I know and I don't regret it. Protecting Seonghwa is what I do. And back then, even if I hadn't killed him, he would have died sooner or later. Your mother's assassins had him surrounded. Either he dies by my hand or theirs, you know which would be more difficult to forgive." 

 

"I know. I don't need you to tell me that." 

 

Jongho knew he still wouldn't be able to bring himself to forgive Hongjoong right now but he knew as long as the other didn't hurt Seonghwa again, he could live with it. 

 

"Tell Seonghwa hyung that he can call me anytime that he needs me."

 

"Okay. Bye, Jongho." 

 

Jongho headed out from the house to find Yunho and Hongjoong let out a sigh. He sat on the couch beside Seonghwa and keeping an eye on him.