Chapter 10

In Aeternum

The Dreamer stopped walking when the house started to rock and shake. He frowned and looked upwards. 

 

"What's going on, Somin?" 

 

"One of them found me. I'm trying to get away from him but he's really persistent. Focus on recapturing them. I'm going head towards the river." 

 

"Already? What are BM and Jiwoo even doing?" he groaned and rubbed his temples. Even with Somin's help, finding two kids in a huge dollhouse wasn't easy when you could get lost easily and now he had to do it without her help too. "Dammit. What happened to splitting the job evenly?" 

 

The Dreamer started to run, trying to track the scent of the two males. He could mostly smell San due to his blood but the directions were a complete mess. He slowed down and realised why when he saw blood droplets. He squatted down and sniffed in. 

 

"Vampire blood... tsk. So this was what was messing with my senses. Did he purposely drop it all over to cover that human's scent? A trap maybe. Very well. Let's see how far you two can go." 

 

÷÷÷

 

"Do you think that'll work? I mean, these guys are probably experienced vampires." 

 

"Do you have any other idea?" 

 

"No... and even if I did find the exit, what would I do then? There's going to be another vampire out there," San whined and Wooyoung pouted. 

 

"As long as you get away, that's better than both of us getting captured." 

 

"I don't want to escape alone!" 

 

"Now isn't the time to be arguing with me. I promised your appa that I'll protect you."

 

"By sacrificing yourself? I-" 

 

"San ah, once you find the exit, you can call your appa to save me again... as much as that sounds horrible... but... he can probably do it." 

 

San stopped arguing. He could never win Wooyoung verbally. The other was more persistent than he ever was. He cursed himself for being so weak and pulled Wooyoung into a tight hug. 

 

"I'll definitely ask him to save you. If he doesn't, I'll come and save you." 

 

"You're not cool at all," Wooyoung mumbled despite feeling the opposite. 

 

"Sorry I'm not cool. I..." San wanted to pour his feelings out right there and then but he held it back. It was probably an uncool move to do that too and it was as if he was raising a death flag of his own making. "I'll meet you outside." 

 

"Of course! Who do you think I am? I'm Wooyoung, you know," the other chuckled and San smiled. 

 

"Of course you are. You're Wooyoung, my best friend." 

 

"Go now. I'll be right behind you." 

 

San opened the door and started sprinting as fast as he could to find the exit which he believed was upstairs on the highest floor. Meanwhile, Wooyoung had to make sure there would be no threats after San so he made a little cut on his hand and scattered more blood around to lure them towards him instead. They should be able to sniff him out if they really wanted him, right? Or at least, he hoped so. 

 

"Ugh... where should I hide...," Wooyoung mumbled as he looked around for a good hiding spot that would allow him to take advantage of his four sides but the more he wandered, the less he could find. He heard footsteps approaching quickly and he realised he was out in the open like a sitting duck. He groaned and decided to take a chance. He jumped up and almost gasped aloud when he found that he could cling onto the ceiling since there were edges he could hold onto. He felt like spiderman for a moment but now wasn't a moment for admiration or such. He held his breath when he saw the vampire from earlier rush by. Now he was almost entirely sure the other was the one who could put them to sleep but there had to be a rule to his ability. Wooyoung tried to give it some thought but wasn't really capable of coming up with something creative with his life on the line. 

 

Meanwhile San had found his way to the highest floor of the dollhouse since the ceiling started to look different and there were lesser turns too. He started looking for a door or maybe even a window that he could climb out of. He went left and then right and then left, following whatever path that was before him until he found a window. He rushed to it and tried to push it open but it didn't budge just as Wooyoung had mentioned. He looked out and realised they were near a river area. It was quite amazing, if he were to be honest, seeing things from such a different perspective but alas, he couldn't continue to admire the scene since he knew Wooyoung could get into trouble at any time. It was up to him to find a way out and call Seonghwa or do something about their predicament at least. 

 

After wandering for a solid few minutes, he was on the verge of giving up his search upstairs and thought maybe his guess was wrong. Maybe the door to the exit was at the front of the house but a small, very brief breeze met his cheek and he shuddered. He blinked in surprise since he didn't feel any such breeze before. He headed towards that direction and paused as he felt it again, a little stronger and a little more until he felt it completely around him. From top to bottom. 

 

Top to bottom? 

 

San looked up and gasped. On the ceiling was a latch and he hopped up, trying to grab it but he was a little short on height to reach it. He looked around and took a deep breath. He ran towards the hall and kicked himself up, failing once. Failing twice. Third time's the charm, he told himself and jumped one more time. He caught hold of it and yelped as he dangled from the ceiling. What was he expecting? For it to give away easily? He swung himself and grunted, trying to get the latch to open but it wouldn't move. 

 

"Come on! Come on, San. You can do this." He stretched his legs and placed them flat against the wall before using them as leverage to pull the latch. It creaked and he regained a little bit of hope, giving it his all. 

 

Snap. 

 

The latch opened and San was expecting to fall down due to gravity but what he had not expected was to get flung out through the hole instead due to the atmospheric pressure. He screamed in surprise as he spun in the air, gradually falling lower and lower. He landed on the floor and expected to be in a world of pain from his small size but landed in water instead. It was shallow but the muddy grounds cushioned his fall. He also realised he wasn't small anymore. He heard a gasp and quickly spun around to find a female holding onto a dollhouse standing behind him and she looked furious. He could tell from her sudden glowing eyes that she was definitely a vampire. 

 

"How did you get out?!" she hissed and he clambered to his feet. He had to run but could he really outrun a vampire? Without letting him think it through, she placed the dollhouse down and dashed at him. San gasped and started to run but he didn't get very far because of the mud and felt cold hands grip his wrist and shoulder. He expected what was to come next. The bite, the pain, the blood. 

 

Perhaps death. 

 

And only if you are ever in extreme danger or in the proximity of death, the lock will be lifted and your memories shall return. 

 

"Huh?" 

 

The pain didn't come nor did his death or maybe they did but he didn't feel it as he found himself standing in front of his dad in an unfamiliar room. But it wasn't always unfamiliar because he knew where he was. In that room, for 2 years, he had spent honing his skills. 

 

"Why would I need to learn how to kill vampires? You're one too, appa." 

 

"To protect yourself, San. From other vampires."

 

"But why would anyone attack me? You're always here and you're really strong too." 

 

"Someday, I won't be around for you anymore. Someday, you'll want to be out there with... people like you and... my kind, they wouldn't know you're with me. Once they have their eyes set on a prey, they won't stop until they drink you dry and I need to know you can protect yourself," Seonghwa said as he squatted down to San's level. He was young, much younger than he currently was. He looked around the training room that became clearer in his vision. His memory. 

 

"But appa, I don't want to hurt your people." 

 

"San ah..." 

 

"Can't I just forget everything? What if I hurt you?" 

 

San looked into his dad's eyes, one that was filled with uncertainty before he nodded. "If that's what you want." 

 

San closed his eyes and breathed again. He felt the breath against his skin and his body moved before he could register the movement in his mind. With his free hand, he grabbed what he could reach first which happened to be her hair and yanked it backwards. The vampire cried out and hissed as she lashed out at San who quickly ducked down. He was breathing slower than before, mind calm and body steady. He would have never thought he was capable of feeling like this before but he knew he had. It was a calm state of mind before any danger, to observe and to react accordingly. That was what Seonghwa had taught him before. 

 

"Vampires lunge straight for one thing and that's the neck. Unless you are viewed as an actual threat, they won't attack elsewhere. So what do you have that they don't? Nothing but your wits. They are faster and stronger than you but that doesn't mean you don't have the element of surprise against them. By watching them closely, you will be able to fend off most of their attacks. Attack them before they finish you off first. Finish them off before they get another chance," Seonghwa had told him before and also trained him to do. San felt different. He knew he was still him but his body and his movement had different muscle memories right now as his mind was still unlocking the memories behind them. 

 

He watched the vampire, studied the way she dipped her body and then lunged just as Seonghwa had told him. He moved his hands outwards and just very slightly, moved to the side. He wasn't trying to dodge her, no. Kill them before they kill you. That was what he was taught. The moment he felt her hand on his skin, he grabbed onto her and lifted his knee swiftly to break her stance. His elbow swung down precisely between her head and shoulder. It connected and all he had left to do was to put his whole body into the motion. 

 

"Sever their necks. They can recover but it'll be enough time for you to stake them through the heart or to run." 

 

Right before his elbow could snap her neck, he heard a sharp cry that made him pause. 

 

"Let her go." 

 

San didn't even realise that he had almost stopped breathing when his system picked up again the moment he glanced over and saw Wooyoung being held by the back of his neck tightly. The cold in his eyes vanished, replaced by fear of losing his friend but he didn't move from his position as he kept the vampire pinned down.

 

"Let me go!" Wooyoung hissed as he flailed his legs that were in the air. San started to pant a little as the adrenaline was catching up with his system and he felt his blood pulsing. 

 

"I'll kill you!" the female growled as she tried to move but San kept a tight hold with his elbow and knee. He didn't know what to do and his calm state was broken. 

 

"I'll trade your friend for her. Don't do anything rash," J Seph said calmly. 

 

"How will I know if you're telling the truth?" San questioned in a small voice. "You're faster... stronger... you could kill both of us faster than I let go." 

 

J Seph raised his brows and let go of Wooyoung who gasped as he fell down to his knees. He coughed and looked at the other vampire bewilderedly. San wasn't expecting that as well, especially when he lifted his hands up in a surrendering pose. 

 

"I swear I'll rip your head off if you're even thinking of failing our mission!" 

 

"Calm down, Somin. I let your friend go. Now let her go. I don't want anyone to die here." 

 

"That just means you were told not to kill us," San deduced and J Seph took a deep breath that only further confirmed his suspicions. "So I-" 

 

"San, let her go," Wooyoung said as he hurried to San's side while rubbing his neck. 

 

"Why? They'll just attack us again." 

 

"San, please," Wooyoung pleaded and touched his arm. He twitched and finally relaxed his body enough to let Somin go. "Good boy... come on. Come with me." 

 

"I s-" 

 

"Somin, we have to leave now," J Seph interrupted her before she could say more poisonous words. "He's coming." 

 

"Ugh! What about the Overseer? He's not going to be happy if we go back empty handed. They're right here. We can take them on again!" 

 

"The human boy just put you in a headlock and that other kid is one hell of a schemer. I'm not risking anything again. I'm calling it quits here before one of us dies." J Seph picked up the dollhouse and motioned to Somin who scowled but followed him anyway. San didn't fully understand what was going on but he felt relieved that the two were running off. Almost too relieved that he collapsed into Wooyoung's hold once they were out of sight. 

 

"San? San, are you alright?" Wooyoung squeaked worriedly. 

 

"Y-yeah. Just in shock," San replied as he could feel the tremors in his body now. "I almost broke her neck... If you hadn't stopped me..." 

 

"I didn't know you could do that." 

 

"I didn't know either... but I guess I do. Or did. I'm not very sure." 

 

"San?! Wooyoung?" a familiar voice cut in and the two gasped as Seonghwa appeared before them. 

 

"Appa!" San cried out and tried to sit up as Seonghwa knelt down. 

 

"What happened to you?" 

 

"I'm alright. Just surprised..." 

 

"And you, Wooyoung? Are you alright?" 

 

"Huh? Oh yeah. I am. Totally... Not like we didn't just get kidnapped or anything," Wooyoung muttered the last bit and jolted when Seonghwa pulled them both into a tight hug. 

 

"I'm so sorry..." 

 

"Hyung!" Jongho landed beside them and looked around the area. "They're gone?" 

 

"Yes, they are. What happened?" Seonghwa asked the two. "Before that, let's get you two somewhere safe first. Can you walk, Wooyoung?"

 

"Hmm? Ah, yes..." Seonghwa lifted San up in his arms, not bothering about how water was getting onto him, and Wooyoung pushed himself up. 

 

"I'll go and get Yunho. Those two should still be trapped in my barrier," Jongho said and Seonghwa nodded. 

 

"Don't try to fight them if you can't win," he said. "Meet you back at my house." 

 

"Yes, hyung." Jongho hopped off back to the park quickly, expecting to see three people when he arrived but there was no one there. He blinked in confusion as his barrier was still up. Just no Yunho or the other two. "Yunho hyung? Hyung??" 

 

After searching the entire park, he finally decided to seek out Yunho with his mind. 

 

Yunho hyung? Hyung! 

 

Jongho! You have no idea how hard I tried to get to you. Why do you have to keep blocking your mind? 

 

Where the hell are you? We got Wooyoung and San back safely but now you're missing. 

 

I followed the two of them. They opened a portal and I chased them. 

 

Are you crazy?! You can't win them alone. Why would you go alone?? 

 

Because I'm going undercover. I'm not trying to beat them. I'm going to figure out what they want from Wooyoung and San. 

 

That's still dangerous! 

 

If anything happens, I'll just go to my friend. He will help me. 

 

Or not! He literally works for the Overseer. 

 

He doesn't. Mingi is just his creation and that's why he's always by his side. I told you that before, Jongho. 

 

Come back safely... 

 

I will. Keep your mind open. I'll reach you when I find anything out. 

 

With that, the connection was closed and Yunho, who was in the form of a fly, flew closer to them to try to eavesdrop on their conversation. 

 

"Do you think they got them?" Jiwoo, the female vampire, asked and BM shook his head. 

 

"Seph just linked with me. He said they had to bail because the two fought back too well and Seonghwa was too close for comfort." 

 

". What are we going to do now?" 

 

"Quit this mission. Is not worth it." 

 

"It should've been an easy job. Those 2 couldn't even take us on without us using our abilities." 

 

"But we were outsmarted at the last moment. That probably threw Somin off. She can't control the dollhouse and run away at the same time." 

 

"Tsk... we should have just grabbed them and portal them away." 

 

"Only Seph could have teleported them but he had to keep them asleep too. While we had to keep the two distracted long enough for Somin to run so it's partially our fault too."

 

Yunho felt like he was getting more information about the 4 of them but not quite about Wooyoung and San. He decided to stay a little longer and kept a distance when they exited the portal into a place he didn't think he would have to visit again in a long while. The vampire side of the world. The flipside. Where all the inhabitants were vampires and there wasn't a human in sight, although there were human turned vampires there. He never liked how dark it was here despite his ability to see in the dark and it wasn't necessary for him to stay there either so he chose to live on the human side along with Jongho. 

 

"-stop me! I'll beat that human child up." 

 

"That's enough already, Somin. That human boy wasn't normal." 

 

"Hey, Seph! Somin," BM greeted the two and the female scoffed while the male waved back. "Someone's feathers are all riled up." 

 

"Of course. That human boy put her in a choke hold, almost broke her neck right off somehow," J Seph explained and BM whistled. 

 

"A human, huh?" 

 

"Shut it. You didn't even hold back the other one. He came right at me," Somin huffed and BM shrugged. 

 

"What can I say? He was a slick one." 

 

"Shall we go and report to the Overseer?" Jiwoo interrupted them and they headed off to the Overseer's room. Yunho knew it was dangerous to keep going but he was so close to knowing what was going on so instead, he linked his mind to Jongho again to let the other know he was going in despite Jongho's protests. 

 

After a few floors up and a turn, they arrived at the Overseer's room and J Seph gave it a knock before opening it. The 4 and Yunho entered the dark room. It was the first time Yunho had come in here so it was rather spooky to him. Seated behind a table was a rather young looking male with a much taller one standing beside the chair. Yunho recognised him right away as his best friend and 'once upon a time' lover. Which meant that the one seated was the Overseer. This was Yunho's first time seeing him up close since he never really had a reason to seek out said person before. 

 

"I see you have come back empty handed," the Overseer said as he looked up from the desk. The 4 bowed to him and he sighed. "I told you not to underestimate them. As weak as they may seem, together, they are almost undefeated." 

 

"There were unforeseen incidents," J Seph said carefully. "The human isn't normal and neither is the fresh blood. They both seem to possess some inner abilities that we weren't informed about." 

 

"That is true. My Sunshine is just on a totally different level from any of you in this room." 

 

A small click of tongue was heard from one of the vampires but nobody addressed it as the Overseer stood up. 

 

"Nevermind that. What will the 4 of you do now that you have failed? Continue the mission?" 

 

"We do not wish to pursue them further," J Seph said to Yunho's surprise. He didn't think they would just give up like this. 

 

"And why is that?" 

 

"It's not worth it. With Seonghwa alerted of our presence, it'll be more trouble than necessary. I do not wish to put my partners' lives at risk."

 

"And what makes you think they're not at risk now? You do know who you are defying by dropping the mission, right?" 

 

The 4 of them gulped and exchanged glances. 

 

"Mingi." 

 

The tall vampire stood forward and J Seph immediately stood upright. 

 

"We are not defying you by any means, Overseer. But if you must punish anyone, punish me." 

 

"Seph!" 

 

"It was my decision to not continue this mission and my failure to keep them asleep."

 

Yunho sensed the tension rising in the room as J Seph tried to take all the blame whilst his partners wanted him to stop making things worse. 

 

"Enough. Mingi and I will personally track them down. You have all done your part," the Overseer sighed and J Seph breathed a sigh of relief. "Now, leave before I change my mind." 

 

The 4 of them quickly shuffled out of the room and Yunho was about to zip out too when the door shut right on him. He felt an intense pressure pulling his fly form down and in an instant, his transformation was undone and he landed on the ground, grunting as he felt as if something heavy was pressing him down on the ground. 

 

"I knew there was another scent in the air," the Overseer said and Yunho struggled to move but his body was pressed flat on the ground. "Well, well, if it isn't one of Seonghwa's creation. Mingi, bring him to me." 

 

The tall vampire nodded and walked over to Yunho, swiftly pulling him up to his feet as the pressure lessened. Yunho looked at Mingi pleadingly but noticed how empty his eyes were and gasped. He knew how much of a chatterbox Mingi was but this vampire holding him showed no signs of the one he knew from before, almost as if he was an empty husk. 

 

"Mingi? What did you do to him?" Yunho asked and the Overseer raised a brow. 

 

"Who? Mingi? Whatever I please," the other replied nonchalantly. "It seems like you know him. Tell me, did you perhaps come here in hopes that you'll figure out what it is that I've seen from the prophecy?" 

 

Yunho wanted to break free but he didn't want to hurt Mingi either so he could only comply for now. "So what if I did? Wooyoung has no connection to vampires prior to his change so what exactly is there about him that you find so fascinating?" 

 

"Who said he doesn't have any connection?" 

 

The question baffled Yunho who wasn't expecting to be questioned. "Well, he's just a college student... who happened to know San who was being targeted by Hongjoong who wanted to go after Seonghwa." 

 

"Ah but that's where you're wrong, Yunho sshi. For you see, Wooyoung holds the soul of the first vampire ever to be blessed in this world. Our dearest Sunshine. We have been blessed once again by his presence and with him as our new vampire lord, vampires will once again roam the land of humans freely."

 

Yunho's eyes widened from the reason behind this whole debacle. "So... you had all these done... because of an old flame?" 

 

"It is more than that. Once Wooyoung becomes the vampire lord, then only then, he will truly merge with the soul of the first vampire and fully revive him." 

 

"He won't be the same person anymore. He can't be! He's Wooyoung now." 

 

"Quiet. Take him to the cell, Mingi. Prepare yourself. We will be going to get him ourselves." 

 

Yunho!