Chapter 17

In Aeternum

"Where would we even hide?" Wooyoung whined as they continued wandering the streets in a panic. 

 

"Anywhere. Until dawn," San said. 

 

"But... they can go out in the mornings too," Wooyoung reminded San. "As long as they're all covered, it's not like they'll die from walking under the sun." 

 

"But I will have the advantage. Come on." 

 

Wooyoung grumbled but followed San as they found a net cafe to stay the night. 

 

"They wouldn't attack us here, right?" Wooyoung wondered as they entered a room quickly after paying for the night. 

 

"I hope not," San sighed. The room itself wasn't huge so their shoulders easily bump against one another. There wasn't any space for them to casually move around in as the rooms were typically made for a single person. While Wooyoung would usually be comfortable with this proximity, happy even, it didn't help that his stomach growled and his breathing picked up when San turned to look at him. He looked at his friend with pure panic in his eyes. "Hungry?" 

 

"Ah... No. I'm fine," Wooyoung replied. He was usually more open and almost unhinged when it comes to honesty but he didn't want to hurt San nor kill himself by accident just because he couldn't hold back from drinking from his friend. "Let's try to get some rest." 

 

"Okay. Ah. Shouldn't we take turns?" San asked as he laid down beside Wooyoung who had already moved to lay down as well. 

 

"You mean keep an eye out? But the room is too small for us to move around in so let's just both lay down," Wooyoung said and San nodded. He stared into Wooyoung's eyes and reached a hand out to touch his cheek. "Hmm?" 

 

"Why don't you go ahead and sleep first? You look tired," San said and patted his head. 

 

"Ah. Sure." Wooyoung shut his eyes, trying to rid his heart and mind of any unpleasant thoughts. He sighed and felt San's arms around him. Without much thought, he sunk into the embrace and fell asleep faster than he expected. 

 

~

 

Chirp. 

 

Chirp, chirp. 

 

He opened his eyes and looked at the blue sky. A gentle breeze. The smell of food wafting in the air. A pleasant afternoon. He smiled as he basked in the sun's warmth. 

 

"Wooyoung~," a familiar voice called out to him and he turned to see his best friend walking to him. 

 

"San." 

 

"Let's go and eat. The others are almost done grilling the meat," San said with a bright smile. Wooyoung blinked for a moment and stared at his friend who was lit up by the sun. "Something wrong?" 

 

"Ah, no. Nothing," Wooyoung replied and stood up. He stretched his body and let out a groan before turning to find San already walking off. He was about to follow when he felt eyes watching him from behind. He glanced behind to find nothing but endless trees. He tilted his head and turned back to find San gone but he still went in that direction until he came out to a clearing. There was a BBQ grill set up with smoke coming off of it. Jongho and Yunho were cooking the meat. There was even a tent set up and Wooyoung beamed. This was the field trip that he had wanted so badly but something felt wrong too. "Jongho, Yunho! Since when did we go to college together?" 

 

"What are you talking about, Wooyoung? We have always gone to college together," Yunho replied him with a smile. Wooyoung chuckled and rubbed his neck. 

 

"Right, right. Seems like I've been forgetful these days." 

 

"Don't worry about it. The older you get, the more forgetful you are too," another voice said and Wooyoung realised it was Seonghwa who was holding firewood in his arms, walking towards them. 

 

"Appa?" 

 

"What do you mean appa? He's also our classmate," Jongho asked with a chuckle. 

 

"Huh? Eh? No, he's San's appa. Speaking of San, where did he go?" Wooyoung asked while looking around. 

 

"San? There are only us here," Yunho said with a surprised tone. Wooyoung flicked his eyelashes in confusion as he was certain he saw San earlier. "Did you take a nap? Is that messing with you?" 

 

"No. Wait. You're...." Wooyoung frowned and looked at the sky. Bright, sunny. Seonghwa wore a regular black shirt and pants, Jongho was similar with shorts and Yunho wore a singlet with shorts. Wooyoung felt disoriented as he felt like this was such an absurd scene.

 

"Wooyoung? What's wrong?" Seonghwa asked gently. "Is the heat too much? Do you want to rest in the tent?" 

 

"No... No," Wooyoung responded and took a step back. "This... this isn't real." 

 

"Did you knock your head?" Jongho asked jokingly and Wooyoung looked around him. They were surrounded by trees and there was no way out. Not even a trail that indicated an entrance. "Here, the meat is done. You love it, right?" 

 

"I..." Wooyoung looked at the meat and he gagged. A sudden rise of bile hit his throat and he clasped it. "Can't... San. I need San." 

 

"We already told you. San isn't here," Yunho sighed and Wooyoung shut his eyes. San had to be here. There was no reason for this field trip if there was no San. 

 

A dream. 

 

That's the only thing this could be. 

 

He opened them and the bright sunny area had turned dark. He started to run away from the trio who yelled his name and for him to come back but he dashed into the trees. 

 

"San," he said in a shaky breath. "San. San?! San, where are you?" 

 

Wooyoung felt his chest tighten and breathing get caught in his throat the further he ran. He slowed down only when it became too dark and he was afraid to keep going. 

 

"San?!" 

 

"There is no San here." 

 

Wooyoung spun around and gasped as he saw the tall male he had seen earlier stand behind him. He stepped back and gulped. 

 

"T-That's not true! I saw him earlier!" Wooyoung argued. 

 

"Because you wanted to see him."

 

"I want to see him now too!" 

 

"You won't be able to see him unless you wake up." 

 

"Who... who are you? What are you doing in my dream?" Wooyoung whimpered as he continued looking around for somewhere he could go. 

 

"I'm Mingi. I invaded your mind space earlier thanks to Yunho and it seems like a part of me is still here. You and San are in trouble." 

 

"As if I didn't know that!" 

 

"Look, I don't want any trouble either but... he's making me do all these things to you guys. Soon, I'll be under control again and I can't do anything to fight back." 

 

"Why are you telling me this?" 

 

"I guess... because I don't have anyone I can tell," Mingi said with a distant smile. 

 

"I can't help you."

 

"I know. And I'm sorry that I can't help you too." Mingi looked down and Wooyoung gulped. 

 

"I-" 

 

Mingi looked up and his eyes glowed red, startling Wooyoung who wasn't certain what was going on. 

 

"You're hungry. You want to bite San desperately. Feast upon his blood. Drain him until there's not a drop left," Mingi said and Wooyoung raised his brows. He felt his stomach rumble again and he swallowed the tight lump in his throat. 

 

"What are you...." Wooyoung found it difficult to breathe as his hunger became really intense. He blinked and he was back in reality, San holding onto him. 

 

San. 

 

San. 

 

San. 

 

His blood. 

 

Want it. 

 

No. 

 

Need it. 

 

Wooyoung gulped as he sat up, eyeing the veins in his neck. His lips parted and his fangs extended. He panted heavily and his pupils shook. San shifted a little and parted his eyelids, giving him a dreamy look. Wooyoung gasped and shoved himself away from San who was thrown off guard. He jumped up and ran out of the room, biting down hard on his own hand to stop the need to sink his teeth into someone. 

 

"Wooyoung?!" San squeaked in confusion and chased after his friend. Wooyoung continued running until he was outside of the net cafe, breathing heavily and trying to stop his hunger as he drank his own blood but it had no actual effect on him. San caught up to him and Wooyoung stumbled away from him. "Wooyoung, what's going on? Why are you biting your hand?" 

 

Wooyoung let his hand go and shut his eyes. "I can't be with you right now." 

 

"What?" 

 

"I'm losing my mind. If I stay next to you, I'll go crazy," Wooyoung cried out and San felt a pang of hurt. 

 

"I'm sorry," he whispered and Wooyoung flinched. 

 

"No, no. Nonono. I don't mean it that way, San," Wooyoung said in a flustered tone. "I'm just so thirsty... and you're so near me... I might hurt you. I don't want that." 

 

"Woo... I'm fine if you want to drink my blood," San said, a little relieved that it was just his thirst making him like this but to Wooyoung, this was a huge problem. Of course, San didn't know that his blood would kill him. 

 

"No! No. I can't. I promise your dad I won't let you get hurt. That includes me hurting you, San," Wooyoung said and San pursed his lips. 

 

"Then what should I do? How can I help?" 

 

"Hah... let's just... Find a more spacious place to stay for tonight. I don't think... I can sleep in your arms for now," Wooyoung said despite falling asleep earlier. He had also forgotten about his dream at this point since he was too caught up with his intense thirst. San nodded and immediately started to look around for a better place for them to stay. Wooyoung unconsciously kept glancing behind him, wondering if someone was looking at them. It felt like it but he also couldn't see anyone deliberately following them. 

 

"Oh. Over here, Wooyoung," San called out to him and Wooyoung looked up at the tiny budget hotel but beggars can't be choosers. At least the room would be more spacious than the net cafe's. They entered it and San asked for a two bed bedroom while Wooyoung waited outside until he was called. He quickly zoomed in and they went to the first floor where their room was. San opened the door and headed to the curtains, quickly closing them. He realised they were at the front of the hotel and wondered if he should ask for a different room but realised Wooyoung had already found a spot on the inner bed. He shut the door and went to the bathroom to wash up, feeling tired since he hadn't slept at all. He looked at his face in the mirror and sighed, thinking about how long their life would be like this. If only he hadn't been so busybody and listened in on his appa's conversation.... If only he hadn't chosen to save Wooyoung. So many thoughts swirled in his head but he shook them away. He headed out and laid down on the other bed, hoping to catch some sleep. He looked at Wooyoung's back and pursed his lips. He wanted to comfort his friend by hugging him but he knew if he did that, Wooyoung might end up pushing him even further so he held back and drifted to sleep.