Chapter 24

In Aeternum

This was it. 

 

Seonghwa took a deep breath as he stood at his waiting spot, wearing a cloak over his clothes so as to not get as easily spotted when the finals began. He had seen the competition only one other time in his lifetime but he hadn't stayed for long, afraid that he would get exposed if someone had seen him then but he knew how this went. The 10 remaining participants would have to find their way through the maze and fight to the death. Or at least that was what it used to be until Seonghwa heard Yeosang's announcement and felt his heart drop. Human? The only human Seonghwa knew that was here was San. It couldn't be, right? But anyone who drank from San would die. Seonghwa wondered if the Overseer had overlooked that or was that another plot to his ultimate goal of crowning Wooyoung as vampire lord? No, Wooyoung would die if he drank San's blood. So what was going on? 

 

Seonghwa didn't have more time to mull over it as the horn echoed through the tunnel he was in and he started moving swiftly. He adjusted the rings on his fingers and decided to take it slow first. Let the competition whittle themselves down. He also had to execute the plan and that means he had to get to the open platform where the others would be able to see him. It didn't take too long before he heard a crash. He headed in that direction and slowed down when he saw a body flying into his sight. Of course, it was a vampire and the other was already bleeding out faster than he was healing. Seonghwa was certain the enemy was definitely not one easy to deal with so he took a few steps back into the dark. 

 

He wondered if Yeosang even had any plans on how to deal with these kinds of vampires in order for Wooyoung to win. They were out for the kill and definitely won't hold anything back in order to be the vampire lord. It was a position of ultimate power after all. The vampire leaped onto his prey and tore through his throat, grinning from ear to ear as the other disintegrated. He spat the blood out before running to find his next competitor. Seonghwa decided to trail the vampire for now while keeping an eye out for any potential ambushes. He also needed to find Wooyoung so fighting now wasn't his first priority. 

 

Another few minutes in and Seonghwa heard another scream echo through the tunnel. Another dead presumably. He turned the corner and noticed branching paths before deciding to go the opposite direction from the vampire he had been tailing since he felt like they were going in circles. He felt a small current and decided to continue heading down that way until he saw the exit. He slowed down and peered out of it, eyes widening as he saw San who still couldn't get away from the spot he was chained to. He would run there and save his son right away but he knew what was at stake here so he held onto his emotions tightly. 

 

Another scream echoed from another opening, causing San to freeze and gulp before trying to break free again. A vampire stepped out from one of the entrances and it was none other than Wooyoung, hands and lips stained blood red. San gasped and couldn't help but to stare at the state his best friend was in. He didn't know what to say but when he saw the look in Wooyoung's eyes, he could tell something was wrong. His friend wasn't his friend. There was something else. Wooyoung, however, started to run to San who fell back as his hand stretched out to grab him. 

 

"Wooyoung, it's me!" San yelled while trying to dodge his friend's attacks. Seonghwa twitched as he thought about protecting San but that also meant hurting Wooyoung. He was in a dilemma despite having Wooyoung where he wanted him to be. He lifted his hand and gritted his teeth. "Snap out of it!" 

 

Wooyoung turned around to look at him and San panted. He dashed forward to attack again and this time, Seonghwa had to step in. He snapped his fingers, swapping San and Wooyoung's positions. San was free and Wooyoung stumbled forward. 

 

"Appa?" San whispered as he looked around to find Seonghwa but only saw Wooyoung spinning around to tackle him again. San hopped out of the way and started to run instead. 

 

"Why isn't San attacking Wooyoung as well?" Yeosang asked Mingi who flinched. 

 

"I tried but it didn't work. San's love for Wooyoung is far greater," Mingi said softly. 

 

"They should be fighting one another, not like this." 

 

"I'm sorry." 

 

Wooyoung started to chase San who went into the tunnels and Seonghwa tried to find another way to reach them instead of stepping out onto the platform but he didn't get very far before he was shoved back harshly. He lost his balance and skidded over the ground. He gasped and looked up to find another vampire staring at him. 

 

"Die," the vampire said monotonously and attacked Seonghwa who waited for the other to get closer and quickly swapped their places before the hit landed. The vampire smashed his hand right into the ground and Seonghwa brought his foot down onto the other's back. Despite the vampire slamming onto the ground, he grabbed Seonghwa's ankle and tossed him. Seonghwa grunted as he hit the wall of the tunnel. He quickly ducked as another hit came flying and grazed his cheek. He sent a punch of his own to the other's rib and felt it crack under the pressure of his knuckles but that wasn't enough to stop the vampire as he used his elbow to hit Seonghwa who just barely blocked it with his arm. Seonghwa could tell the other was physically stronger than him and that he had some kind of shock wave ability that kept making his ears ring every time the other threw a punch. He quickly put some distance between them. This was a losing game for him if he kept at it. 

 

"I don't want to fight you," he found himself saying and the vampire tilted his head as if he couldn't understand what Seonghwa was saying. 

 

"Fight. Kill. That's what. We are here for." 

 

Seonghwa took a deep breath and let it go. The vampire stomped forward, leaving a small crater in his step as he shot towards Seonghwa who erected a barrier instead. The vampire smashed right into it, potentially breaking a nose with the speed he was going. Seonghwa took the chance to run back the way he came from before the other could break the barrier. He could use Jongho and Yunho's abilities but he wasn't very good at them since he had spent the last 19 years taking care of a human child instead of honing his skills. He made it out to the platform but it didn't take very long before the other vampire had already caught up to him. Seonghwa gulped as he removed the cloak so he could move easier. 

 

"Give me a break," he groaned as he started to go on the defense with Jongho's barrier but the other kept smashing through them like they were thin glass. Seonghwa sometimes swapped their places to throw the other off his feet but he knew he couldn't do it too often or the other would get the flow of his attacks too. 

 

"Go, hyung!" Yunho cheered from where he stood, clearly worried for Seonghwa. The same went for Jongho and Hongjoong who were also spectating. 

 

"What if he loses here?" Jongho asked and Hongjoong shook his head. 

 

"He won't."

 

"How can you be so confident about that?" 

 

"Seonghwa was trained to be the next vampire lord. Of course, I know. He just needs to get back to his feet." 

 

But it was easier said than done. 

 

Seonghwa panted heavily after having fought with the other for almost 5 minutes but what felt like hours to him. He felt sluggish in his movements and it was starting to infuriate him that he couldn't move the way he wanted to. He grabbed his cloak when he had the chance and started to rip it apart, leaving bits of it here and there. He tossed some into the air as well. He had wanted to use it when he was facing Wooyoung but right now, this vampire was being a pain in the for him. 

 

"Come on," he growled and the vampire tilted his head again, eyeing his moves. "Enough games." 

 

"Good." 

 

"You'll die now," Seonghwa said under his breath as he lifted his hand and snapped his fingers just as the other shot forward again. He swapped places with one of the falling pieces and enveloped his hand with a barrier before slamming it down onto the other's back. Again, he changed places before the other could grab him and sent a kick upwards to his abdomen. The vampire was lifted off the ground and shot up in the air. The eyes of the crowd followed him and both Jongho and Yunho didn't know that Seonghwa could fight like that. "Scramble." 

 

"Seonghwa, stop," Hongjoong yelled out and Seonghwa froze, fingers in the air. He looked at Hongjoong with brilliant red shining in his eyes. The vampire took that momentary chance to shoot himself downwards, crashing into Seonghwa. Both of them shot across the platform and smashed into one of the walls. 

 

"Why did you stop him?" Yunho gasped. 

 

"He was losing control," Hongjoong said to their confusion. Seonghwa groaned and looked down to his side bleeding out. The other vampire didn't fare any better as his spine looked bent out of proportion. Before either of them could start the fight again, a flash sparked across Seonghwa's sight and took the vampire with it. The two crashed into a wall and the vampire that had attacked Seonghwa earlier disintegrated upon impact. He gasped and turned his head slowly to find that it was Wooyoung. His eyes glinted a brighter shade of red at every moment. 

 

"Shouldn't we distract Yeosang now?" Jongho asked as he noticed that Wooyoung had changed his target to Seonghwa. "Wooyoung is getting too strong." 

 

"But Seonghwa hasn't given the signal yet." 

 

"He might die!" 

 

"Trust in him." 

 

Seonghwa gulped and pushed himself up against the wall as he tried to focus on his healing but Wooyoung's eyes told him he wouldn't have a moment of rest. Wooyoung growled and started charging towards Seonghwa who managed to snap his fingers, switching positions. Wooyoung smacked into the wall and it cracked. 

 

"Wooyoung, it's me. Seonghwa. I know you're still in there." 

 

But the other didn't respond. He just turned around, ready to attack again. 

 

"Where is San? What have you done to him?" 

 

Still no reply. 

 

By this time, even Mingi was worried. 

 

"Sir, is thi-" 

 

"No! I can't control him anymore. He's gone berserk by himself," Yeosang hissed and Mingi gulped. 

 

"Is it blood overdrive?" 

 

"That's impossible. He hadn't had that much to drink." 

 

"Should we stop the competition?" 

 

"No. Wooyoung has to win. Once he wins, I will declare him vampire lord and then fix him." 

 

Mingi gritted his teeth and didn't feel like this was worth letting Wooyoung ruin himself. He had no care for his own bodily injuries and only cared about killing. 

 

Destroying.

 

Massacre.