epilogue.

love bites.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ayaka and Nina finally decided to have their second date... a month after the last one. They decided it would only be fitting if they had their date in the meadow where Nina laid Rima to rest.

It was a beautiful late summer night. The day was hot, but the night became cool, especially with the breeze that was blowing. 

The newly reunited couple are having a late night picnic in the meadow, sitting on a blanket together as fireflies glow around them.

Ayaka had brought a late dinner for herself, meanwhile Nina couldn't eat anything but blood obviously. So, instead, she spent the time chatting with her beloved girlfriend.

In the past month, Nina officially moved back into Ayaka's apartment. She was still forced to sleep on the couch for a few days though until Ayaka allowed her to sleep in her bed again.

The spent the month trying to repair their relationship. Now, it seemed like it was nearly back to normal again.

When it came to deciding where to have their second date, it was a no-brainer for them both. Ayaka wanted to see the flower meadow that Nina held so dear. Nina agreed, thinking it would be healthy for them both to start to accept what had happened on that fateful night.

"It's weird that the vampire that caused my vampire phobia in the first place is also the one that helped me overcome it," Ayaka spoke as she munched on the food she brought. 

"Yeah... it's weird when you think about it," Nina responded, faintly smiling as she kept her gaze on Ayaka.

"You know..." Ayaka began, sighing. "You've also helped me fully accept Rima's death," she admitted. "I was in denial for the past year, hoping she would suddenly come back to life one day," she confessed with a frown. "But now, I think, since I know the full circumstances of her death... I think I'm starting to come to terms with it," she smiled faintly at Nina. "Thank you for giving me full closure."

"I think... I'm starting to come to terms with it too," Nina admitted. "Knowing that I murdered my own best friend... my only friend... I couldn't live with myself, Ayaka..." she sighed. "I became really depressed because of it. I hated myself so much," she confessed once again. "But knowing that you're not angry at me for it anymore... and Rima probably wouldn't be upset like I thought she would've been..." she smiled a bit more. "I think I've accepted it. It's in the past... there's nothing I can do to change it now."

During a bit of off-topic chatting, Nina began to gently braid Ayaka's hair, decorating it with little flowers. But then, the topic went back to Rima.

"I wonder if Rima's spirit is watching over us right now," Ayaka mentioned out of the blue. She had finished eating and had her eyes closed peacefully as Nina braided her hair. "I wonder how she feels about all of this."

"Rima is proud of us both," Nina told Ayaka assuringly. "I can feel it in my soul," she smiled, but that smile quickly faded. "I used to worry that Rima's spirit would hate me after what happened, or even become vengeful," she admitted. "But, considering it was an accident, I tried everything I could to save her, paid my respects, and apologized..." she sighed. "I don't think Rima would be angry. At least not anymore."

"Honestly," Ayaka began to admit. "I'm surprised Rima never told me about your friendship before," she spoke. "I know you're half vampire and all, but you're different."

"I think she was probably just worried about how you would react," Nina told her. "How would you have reacted if she told you she was friends with a vampire hybrid?" She asked curiously. She finished the braid and tied it.

Ayaka paused for a moment, then sighed.

"Yeah, I probably would've freaked out," Ayaka laughed.

"See?" Nina finished putting a few more flowers in Ayaka's braid. "No wonder she didn't tell you," she laughed and moved so she was facing Ayaka once again.

"You told me that you two were friends since childhood but..." Ayaka began, with a small pause. She looked into Nina's hazel-colored eyes with nothing but love in them. "How did you two even become friends?"

"So... it was right after the sun had set..."

A seven-year-old Nina had left her mother's lair as soon as the sun set over the horizon. 

Nina had no friends. No other vampire children would play with her other than her sister, who was also a social reject. 

So, Nina found how to play around in her own way. Usually by wandering off into the dangers of the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter