Chapter Thirty

A Million Sleepless Nights

 

Author’s Note: This story is set in an alternate universe, in an imaginary town and country, and during an ambiguous time period.

 

Waving, Jaejoong got in his car and sped out of the Dan’s parking lot and into the street. It took them less than ten minutes to arrive at his driveway. 

With Yunho waiting on the side of the road, he tried to quietly park, knowing his nosy sisters were home, and dashed back into Yunho’s air conditioner car. He already had the door partly opened and he had his seatbelt pulled and ready to be buckled in. 

He was listening to a Korean folk remix on Spotify. His car smelled like strawberry air freshener. Jaejoong felt like his senses were heightened.

“You’re obsessed, huh?”

I am going to have to convert you. Folk music is good.”

“I believe you.”

“Good.” 

Jaejong watched through a giddy haze as Yunho buckled him in, and instead of telling him how funny he found the whole thing, though he never wanted him to stop doing it, he commented on his air freshener. “Strawberry?” 

Gripping his wheel with one hand with the other one on the gear stick, he flashed him a quick, easy grin and shrugged. “You don’t like it?”

“No. I mean, it smells nice.”

“That’s good. Because I got it for a good deal. Free.”

He laughed. “Can’t fault you for your hustle.”

He shifted to drive and peeled away from his house.

Yunho gave him that heart stopping smile as he simultaneously dropped his right hand and reached over to weave his fingers with an unsuspecting Jaejoong’s hand.

“I hope you don’t mind.”

“Mind what?” Jaejoong asked, trying to relax. It was not like this was their first time holding hands. He was just holding his hand a few minutes ago.

“This.” He nodded to their linked hands. Yunho looked hesitant.

Jaejoong laughed, a puff of air escaping from his nose. “No.” Inhaling and finding the courage, he confessed, “Being my blunt self, I’ll say it: I don't mind. I like holding hands,” he added in a sugary sweet voice, relaxing in his seat.

Yunho laughed. “Okay.” And he squeezed his hand.

Looking at each other as Yunho slowed at a stop sign, they smiled at each other.

“Can I—”

Blushing furiously, Jaejoong quickly interjected, “Don’t ask. Please.” He closed his eyes and pursed his lips, getting ready to be kissed.

At first, the kiss was gentle, sensual, pulling Jaejoong in. His mouth was hot and his spit was vaguely watery. He tasted fresh. 

 

Yunho tried to break the kiss. Jaejoong pulled him back and kissed him until the car they hadn’t realized had pulled up behind them beeped loudly in annoyance.

 

They parted and laughed.

 

This was turning out to be the best summer of their lives.

 

The end.