Chapter Eighteen

A Million Sleepless Nights

 


 

Author’s Note: This story is set in an alternate universe, in an imaginary town and country, and during an ambiguous time period.

“How’s being home for the summer?”

“Same ole same ole. You?” Jaejoong answered Bryan. 

He was on the hammock Jinjoo had installed in the backyard two years prior. It was the best addition she has ever thought of. The whole family loved it. But none like Jaejoong did. If he could spend his nights there, he would have. If he decided to do so, the mosquitoes would dine on him the whole  night, so he thought better of that desire. The mosquitoes refused to let him be great! 

“Boring,” Bryan said. 

“Boring? I thought you were happy to be back with your man?”

“Yeah, that’s great. But, he works, and after the first week of seeing old friends, hanging out, going to parties, it grew old.”

“I guess.”

“Doesn’t sound like you can relate?”

His fingers tingle. He wanted to spit it out, that he was talking to Jung Yunho and he had actually asked him out. It wasn’t quite a date, but it was more than just a hangout. He knew he shouldn’t be as happy as he was, but he was dizzy with elation. 

And, what was worse was that he knew that light feeling. 

The last time he experienced it was when he had his first and only crush on his tablemate, shoulder partner, in the fourth grade. He had been lovesick for years—eighth grade was when he realized not only was the boy straight, he was not even his type. He was obnoxious and annoying. And they had gone off to different high schools and he had never seen him after that. And that had been that.

Jaejoong's long forgotten crush on A.aime was rearing its ugly, cruel head, and this time, unlike the last time when it was directed at someone without a face, a smile, a voice, a history, it was now connected to something concrete. It was directed at someone it shouldn’t even be pointing at. 

He knew he couldn’t develop a crush on Yunho. 

Yunho of all people! But he felt it happening and it filled him with terror. 

Yunho just, simply, scared him.

Jaejoong swallowed, no matter how much he wanted to share everything with Bryan, and he knew his friend could really help him understand his emotions, he also knew he would have to explain a lot of things. Things he didn’t have an explanation for yet. 

He simply shrugged, as if his friends could see it. 

“I can’t. I work, hang out with my friends, and that’s enough for me. It’s fun to be with my family again.”

“I forgot. You love spending time with your family.”

“And what’s wrong with that?”

“Nothing! Obviously. Just jealous.”

Jaejoong remained quiet. He knew about Bryan and his difficult coming-out and how most of his family members still couldn’t accept him for all that he was.

“But,” Bryan said in a singsong voice, “are you sure you’re being truthful?”

With his heart lodged firmly in his throat, he said, “Why wouldn’t I be?”

“Maybe you’re down there partying it up, met someone, and are having many D-appointments you’re not sharing with your friend?”

“Eww. You know I am a prude.”

“Don’t assign negative connotations to that words. You know there's nothing wrong with having boundaries and reservations; being a prude is amazing.”

Jajeoong rolled his eyes, laughing. “That’s the Bryan I know and love. I miss you.”

“Aww. I miss you too.”

“I wished we lived in the same town and could summer together.”

“What are we doing after graduation?’

“Don’t bring that up. I am not ready yet.”

“I know you’re moving back home.”

“You know? You know I hate this town.”

“You still do?”

His heart skipped a beat. “Wha–” He coughed. “What do you mean?”

“Ah-ha! There is something going on.”

Jaejoong rolled his eyes. “Stop it.”

“So, nothing from Yunho?’

Jaejoong almost choked on mock-pina colada. Bryan laughed.

“You’re okay?”

“No. I mean, yes, and no. Nope,” he said after a coughing fit. “Nothing.”

“Maybe he lost hope.”

“I mean, he should.” Even to his own ears he knew he sounded weird.

Bryan simply made a sound at the back of his throat.

Jaejoong wondered if Bryan could tell me was withholding information.

———————

Sunday afternoon, Jaejoong learned a lot about himself.

First was how shameless he was.

He ended up working a morning shift at his parents’ store. Even his father came in to help. 

The store, though it belonged to both of his parents, was run by his mother. His father was an electrician by trade. His sisters were nowhere to be seen at the store, but his cousin, Hyein, was working that morning. 

They got a shipment of fresh produce and they spent the afternoon putting groceries away for when they opened the store on Monday.

He offered to help, but only until four. 

After his shift ended, he barely had time to run home, brush his teeth and shower—he smelled, alright. He did not want to meet anyone smelling as he did, especially Yunho.

Yunho’s text had come through right as Bryan’s text did. Grabbing his phone and slipping into a tank-top, he tried to dash out of his house. Excitement thrummed through him. He felt light headed.

He knew he was being stupid, but he had been looking forward to surfing with Yunho a lot. So much so that he woke up with a start that Sunday morning.

“Are you really sure you do not want to go to church with us?” His mother had stopped him on his way out to ask. “Evening services are always a lot of fun, love.”

Blinking at her, he tried to hide his impatience as his phone buzzed again. “No, momma; I have plans. I told you already,” he said in Korean, dropping a kiss on her soft cheeks.

She made that sound in the back of ; it was not disapproval or disappointment, more like a mix of the two.

 In exasperation and impatience, he finally rolled his eyes. 

Young man, stop with the eye rolling.”

Sorry, but, mom!” He knew he sounded like a rude child, but he couldn’t help himself. “I already told you I had plans. I explained I wouldn’t be able to go to church today. I haven’t seen this friend in a while,” he lied smoothly.

“And they couldn’t have planned with you for any other day?”

“I work most of the time.”

“I could have allowed you to take a day off or get off early.”

“Momma, it’s already done.” Another buzz. He desperately wanted to check and see what Yunho texted. “Can I go? Please.”

She sighed and waved him away. “He’s already here, I presumed.”

He nodded, his frown lifting and turning into a smile. 

You’re amazing. I love you so much!” he squealed, kissing her cheek.

She sighed in frustration. “Have fun. Just, remember, you also haven’t seen your family in a while.”

“I know. I’ll make time for you all. I’m going to church with the family next week. Definitely!” He promised, already walking away. 

“Be safe. No drinking and driving."

“I am nineteen!”

Disapproval lined her forehead. “Stay safe.”

He flashed her a cheeky grin and waved one last time. "Always."

Rushing out before she changed her mind, almost bumping into his father at the doorway, he felt ticklish all over. As if he were a rubber person, his legs did not feel like they were connected to his body. 

It felt like he was running for a tryst. And that cooled him down a little bit, but his face only got hotter.

Looking at his phone on the front steps, he noticed Yunho had sent one text and all the rest were from Bryan and one from Lani. He decided to reply later.

Yunho’s black Honda Accord was parked in front of his house, on the side of the road, just as Jaejoong had asked him to do. 

Just as he saw the car, Yunho lifted his head and he saw him. His smile lit up his face and he waved. 

Jaejoong almost missed a step. His heart pivoted. Inhaling softly and discreetly, he attempted a smile and gave a weak head nod.

!

Opening the passenger door, he momentarily lost his ability to breathe. Yunho was half . Again. This time his trunks were normal. A solid navy blue. His hair was down, fluffy, bouncy, and shiny. He looked glorious.

A quick inventory of the car told Jaejoong a lot of important things about his newly acquired friend. His car was meticulously clean and it smelled like heaven. The inside of a car tells a lot about someone, and Jaejoong was learning a lot.

He stood there for much longer than was normal, because it was Yunho's light chuckle and his low, deep voice beckoning him to stop checking him out.

So embarrassing.

“Ready to go?” He grinned, his dimples digging holes in his cheeks.

His question jerked Jaejoong back from the dark, lost place. 

“As ready as I’ll ever be,” he muttered, quickly getting in and closing the door. He hoped no one that knew Yunho or their history together saw them. He was not ready for that conversation. "Hi. How was your day?"

Jaejoong nodded, his tongue feeling too big for his mouth.

"Don't look so nervous."

"I am." Honesty was the best policy.

"It’ll be fun. Promise,” he said, shifting in his seat to look at Jaejoong.

He nodded mutely.

"Seatbelt," Yunho said evenly.

And before Jaejoong could react, he knocked the wind out of him when he leaned over and reached for his seatbelt and pulled the string.

Their eyes met, and Yunho's beautiful eyes widened when he noticed how red and shocked Jaejoong was.

"I am so sorry," he said, pulling back, his long fingers still wrapped around the seatbelt string. He was reddening around the neck, too.

"Ahh...What...?"

He laughed, his tan cheeks turning a charming shade of crimson. "I'm so used to buckling my brother in. Bad habits. He never remembers."

Jaejoong laughed, trying to alleviate the pressure in his chest. "Probably because you always buckle him in."

What a sight they were!

Yunho was still leaning in the passenger side, his bare chest a few centimeters away from Jaejoong. His face was very close, and Jaejoong lost the battle and he had to openly stare at his mouthlush and beautiful.

No wonder he had been so popular. All the girls had wanted him in high school, even Lilia had shared non-stop how he would have been crush number one if he hadn't had the friends he had.

But, he could never be an option.

"Anyways!" Jaejoong said loudly and tried to fight Yunho for the seat belt.

"I got it." They both said in unison.

Momentarily stunned, Yunho won the battle and he the seatbelt in with a loud click.

"There you go," he said and smiled all paternally at him. Jaejoong's heart-rate sped up.

What the hell?

"This is the weirdest thing you've done so far."

Yunho laughed. "Sorry."

"Yes, you are bizarre." Blood churned in his ears and he felt like he was melting from how hot he was all over.

What the hell? Looped through his head.

"You've said so before." Laughing, he put the car into drive.

Even the sound of his laugh was pleasant. What was wrong with him? Would he be okay? Jaejoong wondered, shoving his hands under his thighs.

Yunho cleared his throat lightly when he asked, driving into the road, "You brought a change of clothes?"

He nodded.

"Towel?"

"You really are a big brother."

"And you're the youngest."

"What does that mean? Do I give off hopeless vibes?"

Smiling softly, he shook his head. "I mean—" He shrugged.

"What?"

"It's easy to want to take care of you." They were both silent for a moment before Yunho laughed. "Sorry. That sounded weird."

"Creepy, you mean?" Jajeoong asked cheekily, hoping Yunho could not hear the loud drumming of his heart.

“Sorry."

"Stop. I am only teasing you. That's what younger siblings do, right?" he winked. Yunho laughed.

Okay. He was salvaging this. Whatever this was.

Play it cool. They were just friends hanging out. Nothing more. Nothing less. Friends loved to tease each other. This was fine.

"Anyways, l am ready to drown."

"You won't. It'll be fun."

"I'm always excited to try new things.”

“Good.” He grinned at him.

They were silent again for a few moments too long, in Jaejoong’s estimation, so he said the next thing he thought of: “Korean folk music?”

“If I am not wrong, I think that’s what I ended up finding in my playlist?” He teased, looked over at him and smiled and Jaejoong returned the smile. 

Yunho reached for his phone that was in the cup-holder and handed it to him.

“Don’t like it?” 

Jaejoong pulled his hat deeper around his face as he drove through his neighborhood. 

“No. It’s fine. Just surprised.”

He shrugged and placed the phone back.

“Why?”

He stopped at a stop sign.

“Wow.”

“Wow?”

“I did not take you for a…” he pressed his lips together as he tried to find the word.

“A Korean?”

“You’re listening to folk music, not even pop!” He pointed at his radio. 

With laughter in his voice, he nodded. Reaching over, he raised the volume. “I like Korean folk; further, it helps me practice my Korean even when I am not home.”

Jaejoong stared at him in awe.

“You?”

“Sometimes. My family gives me enough Korean practice.”

“That’s not what I meant,” he said, laughing.

Jaejoong could listen to Yunho laugh all day long. It was beautiful and so unique.

“I’m more of an R&B and old Hip-hop kind of guy.” 

“Yeah, you mentioned. Lucky Daye, right?”

Jaejoong’s heart skipped a beat. His toes and the tips of his ears tingled. He remembered such a small detail that was shared in passing.

“Rini is my current obsession.”

“Want me to play him?”

Clearing his throat, he looked away and shook his head. “No. This is fine.”

“Alright,” he conceded. Yunho lifted a large shoulder, the corner of his lips circling up higher.