Chapter Twelve

A Million Sleepless Nights

 

Author’s Note: This story is set in an alternate universe, in an imaginary town and country, and during an ambiguous time period.

 

Jaejoong was still standing by the checkout counter in shock. His silence didn’t deter Yunho’s mother from prattling 

His mother continued to giddily talk to Jaejoong. “I didn’t know you would be back home for summer?” She lightly tapped her forehead. “But of course you would, dear boy. How have you been?”

Jaejoong was still too stunned to formulate words. Instead, he smiled, trying to cheese as hrd s he could and as naturally as he could. His eyes remained fixed on Yunho who stood behind his mother, his face still a blank, white sheet of terror.

Drawing closer, she said, now switching to Korean, “I’ve asked your mother after you, well whenever our path crosses.” She gave him an open smile. 

His family was not close to Yunho’s family and vice-versa. They went to the same church and, like almost every Korean family in Orange Groove, his parents had been shopping at his family’s grocery store since they opened doors eleven years ago. They were friendly with each other.

Jaejoong never told his parents any names but Nathen. They never had any reason to be hostile or weary of the Jungs. Jaejoong could tell Yunho’s mother didn’t know of the bad blood between them. Which didn’t surprise him, to be honest.

“Well, my child, I hope you have a great time in town. Since Yunho is also back home, I hope you two can be comfortable and hang out often.”

He felt bolts of lighting exploding in his chest. 

“Mom,” was the first thing Yunho said since he walked in. She didn’t hear his light plea.

My door is always open, of course.” 

He silently nodded again, his tongue still too heavy, he smiled politely at her. He felt the heat on his cheeks creeping down to his neck and chest.

She looked so much like Yunho. From her smile to her eyes; except her beautiful eyes were alive unlike Yunho’s dead, evil bottomless-pit of eyes. Beautiful but dead.

You’re such a good boy,” she continued, giving Jaejoong an open, sincere smile. He felt his heart thumping against his ribcage. He knew he didn’t have any reason to be feeling as if his life was in danger. But it felt like he was on the edge of a cliff. He tried his best to not stare at Yunho. “Your parents are so lucky to have you working at their store during the summer.” Saying that, she threw her oldest son a playful look. “Him, he refused to work at his papa’s garage, saying he already got a position somewhere.” She shook her head, but she was not vexed. 

Yunho remained his rigid statue self, the mortified look in his eyes growing in intensity. Jaejoong shared his rising alarm the longer Yunho’s mother continued talking to him as if he and Yunho were childhood friends. They weren’t. They never would be friends. This whole thing was so weird.

How did he keep on getting in the twilight zone?

She laughed, clapped her hands together and said, “Well, let me not hold you.” With that said, she turned to Yunho and said, “I know you’ll want to catch up with your friend.” She patted his bicep. “Let me go get the things I’m here for.”

Yunho shared a quick look of shock and mortification with Jaejoong before he nodded at his mother. 

Turning to her youngest, grinning at him, he told him, pointing at the youngest. “Keep an eye on this hoodlum over there. Make sure he doesn’t touch anything. I am going shopping.” She waved at Jaejoong, gave her oldest son a look and walked away, the handles of the basket on her forearm, purse in her other hand.

The little boy, Jaejoong could not remember his name, rushed after his mother.

 “Ooh! Junho, go stay with your brother,” his mother tried to shoo him away. He shook his head and reached for her shirt. 

Sighing, the beautiful older lady shook her head and dropped her purse in the basket and reached for her son’s small hand. Smiling, he started skipping next to her as she turned into the next aisle.

And now it was just the two of them.

Jaejoong didn’t know what to say, and from the look on Yunho’s face, he knew he was in the same boat.

Yunho’s soft, ed “hi” jerked him back to reality. 

“Hi.” Yunho was the first one to break the silence. His voice was soft and deep in his throat. “Umm…” He scratched the side of his arm nervously and tried to look at Jaejoong, but it was like he was the sun and his eyes hurt, because he quickly looked away. He anxiously kicked his right foot on the smooth ground.

Maybe this is good, Jaejoong thought. He did need to say something about that text.

Wetting his bottom lip, Jaejoong quickly said, hoping he wouldn’t stutter. He did. He failed miserably. “I…Umm.”

Yunho met his eyes. Jaejoong tried to hold it. He was successful for a good four seconds before he casted his eyes down. They stood there for a few more seconds with nothing but the harsh sound of their breathing passing between them.

“Umm…So, I…I’m going to go,” Yunho said huskily, sounding hopefully as he pointed to where his mother disappeared.

“No.” Jaejoong said, trying again. Yunho gave him one of those hopeful looks that left Jaejoong utterly confused. He got tongue-tied the moment their gaze met. They shared a quiet look. Jaejoong’s heart-rate increased. 

“I,” he tried again, “I want to—”

Yunho cut him off. “I’m sorry.”

“Huh? What?”

“I’m sorry for cutting you off. Go ahead.” Yunho quickly said.

Jaejoong shook his head. “No, you’re fine.” Running his fingers through his hair, untangling as much as he could, Jaejoong said, “Umm, what do you mean by ‘you’re sorry’?”

Yunho drew closer to the counter. Jaejoong tightened his fingers into fists. Jaejoong shrugged. “I…umm…I…I…I didn’t mean to. The text. I mean, I did. But not like that.” He paused. “I mean, I—”

“I’m sorry. I mean it. For everything.”

“I shouldn’t have sent you that text.”

Yunho shook his head. “No,” he said gruffly. “You have every right to have sent me that text. I have been so selfish. I should have never…” he paused and stared deeply into Jaejoong's eyes, making his palms grow clammy. “I’m sorry,” he finished throbbingly

Jaejoong rubbed his sweaty palms down his thighs, on his jeans. “Yunho…I—”

“That’s what I texted you.”

His heart skipped a bit. “Yeah,” he bit his lip, his eyes shifty. “I deleted WeChat.”

Yunho cleared his throat awkwardly. “I assumed as much. And I understand,” he quickly added.

Don't go and be all understanding now, Jaejoong thought reproachfully.

Jaejoong nodded, his eyes still on the counter. He inhaled and tried to regain control.

“It’s hard,” Jaejoong finally squeezed out.

“I didn’t mean to make it hard.”

“I…I don’t mean.” He stopped and looked up, holding Yunho’s gaze. “It was the truth.”

Yunho flinched. “I know.”

“That’s why I…I’m sorry, I can’t be your friend or continue on texting you.”

“I know….You know, I—” Yunho stammered, struggling to get his words out. He closed his mouth after his lips and shrugged. “I’m sorry.”

“I can see that. I’m starting to accept that, but,” he inhaled sharply. “It just doesn’t change , and you know that.” He shrugged. He didn’t like the disdain that had creeped into his voice, but it was hard to stop feeling so angry.

Instead of blaming Yunho and being angry at him, he was feeling guilty for his actions and felt like he was the bad guy.

“I know, and I know it means nothing and you won’t stop feeling as you do, but right now that’s all I can offer.”

“Why are you whispering?” He asked, reaching for his phone. Giving his hands something to do.

“I am not whispering.” Yunho frowned. He paused, and he looked like he was debating something silently in his head. He regarded Jaejoong with a look of unguarded sentimentality. Finally, his eyes cleared and he gave Jaejoong a cold, reserved smile. “Hey, I...I’m going to go; I’ll catch you around,” he said, nodding at him.

Jaejoong nodded.

Yunho sighed, flipped on his white Vans heels. Stopped, looked over his shoulder and opened his mouth and said, “For what it’s worth, I’m super sorry.”

Jaejoong quietly nodded again.

“Umm…” Yunho turned and faced him. “My request. Friendship. Please forget about it.” 

“Okay. I think that’s best.”

Like a camera shutter, Yunho’s face closed off. He looked like a sad puppy that was just kicked.

Like a sad puppy Jaejoong kicked.

Jaejoong did not like the feeling that evoked. 

He did not feel like he won. Not at all.