Ch. 8

Wed Game

Saerom’s Application

Name: Lee Saerom

Gender: Female

Age: 23

Occupation: Worker at a fried chicken shop.

Question: Tell me about yourself.

Answer: I’m Saerom and I want to win this stupid game.

Question: What are your interests and hobbies?

Answer: Money.

Question: Why do you want to participate in Wed Game?

Answer: Money.

Question: What do you like about Joshua Hong?

Answer: Absolutely nothing.

Question: Tell us an interesting backstory about yourself that you think we can use in the production of this show?

Answer: My sister is dying of an illness and I can’t afford the medicine because ing Hong Pharmaceuticals keeps raising the prices.

Question: What is your greatest strength?

Answer: I’ve got enough upper body strength to disfigure the heir’s stupid face.

Question: What is your greatest weakness?

Answer: Answering stupid application questions.

Question: If you were to win Wed Game, what would you do?

Answer: Force the company to lower their prices.

Question: What are you looking for in a spouse?

Answer: Money.

Question: What would you say to Hong Joshua if he were here with you?

Answer: you.

What is the most attractive thing about Hong Joshua?

Answer: His money.

What is the least attractive thing about Hong Joshua?

Answer: Literally everything else.

-

Joshua

Chaeyoung laughs and laughs as she reads the application in her hand. By far the shortest, briefest application in the pile, it naturally caught both our eyes. It belonged to a blunt and fed-up girl named Lee Saerom, who attached a low-effort selfie of her sick in bed, hair all over the place, and bags under her eyes. No make-up, no pretty clothes, no pretty background. All the other applicants put their best foot forward, but this one doesn’t seem to care.

“I like her. Put her in,” says Chaeyoung, handing me the profile to put in the yes pile.

“Are you kidding? She hates me!” I say.

“That’s the point. She’s wonderful.”

The Saerom character made Chaeyoung laugh, so for that reason alone, I complied and put her in the yes pile. Anyone who makes Chaeyoung this happy is a friend of mine, even if they hate my guts.

Chaeyoung then pulls out another application from the pile. A young man’s. She reads it with mild interest, then passes it to me. “Yes pile.”

 

Seungkwan’s Application

Name: Boo Seungkwan

Gender: Male

Age: 24

Occupation: Accountant

Question: Tell me about yourself.

Answer: I’m a fairly ordinary guy who works a typical office job. I would say I’m a positive person who likes to make people laugh. I like helping people in need, and I always feel like my friends are my responsibility. The most important things to me are the people in my life.

Question: What are your interests and hobbies?

Answer: I like to sing and perform. I used to be an extra in musicals, and it was always my dream to be a lead, but I stopped auditioning for musicals ages ago.

Question: Why do you want to participate in Wed Game?

Answer: Honestly, I want to protect a friend. She always gets herself into trouble, and I want to be there for her when things don’t work out to pick her up and offer my support. I’m afraid of what this game entails and I just want to be there for her.

Question: What do you like about Joshua Hong?

Answer: His eyes. They’re very bright and sweet. I can tell when I look at them that he’s a good person, despite the chaebol facade he puts up.

Question: Tell us an interesting backstory about yourself that you think we can use in the production of this show?

Answer: My best friend and his father passed away in a car accident a few years ago. He was on his way to watch a musical where I was an extra, because I made him promise to come see me. He left behind two sisters, and I feel like they’re my responsibility. They’re struggling a lot, and I always want to take care of them and protect them from harm, because I feel like I was the reason their brother and father died. It’s why I’m here, applying to Wed Game. I want to protect one of them.

Question: What is your greatest strength?

Answer: I would say I’m a very caring person. If I know you, I will do everything I can to help you.

Question: What is your greatest weakness?

Answer: I get attached to people too quickly and it ends up ruining me. I always feel like I have to take responsibility for them, even if they ruin themselves.

Question: If you were to win Wed Game, what would you do?

Answer: I would be very flattered to have been selected by Joshua. But I honestly don’t think I will be. I’m never anyone’s first choice for anything! I’m really just applying to protect my friend.

Question: What are you looking for in a spouse?

Answer: I only want mutual respect. I want someone who will let me help and protect them.

Question: What would you say to Hong Joshua if he were here with you?

Answer: Hi Joshua! It’s nice to meet you. You have nice eyes! Also, please let me into your pool of candidates. I want to protect my friend at all costs, and I can only do that if I’m there with her.

What is the most attractive thing about Hong Joshua?

Answer: His eyes are marvelous. I also like his hair. All in all, Mr. Hong Joshua is a very attractive man!

What is the least attractive thing about Hong Joshua?

Answer: There is nothing unattractive about him physically. He is quite clearly a very good-looking person! As for his personality, I don’t really know him, so I can’t make any judgments.

-

“Why this guy?” Joshua asks. He glances at the photos attached to the application. He’s not a bad-looking chap, and usually Chaeyoung only adds objectively bad-looking people.

“He’s clearly in love with someone else,” Chaeyoung responds. “He’s literally following a girl into this game to protect her. I’m sure he’s not going to be a threat.”

“No one’s a threat to you, Chae,” I tell her.

She smiles and nestles into my arms. “Promise?”

“I promise.”

“What if you fall in love with one of them?” she asks.

“Impossible.”

“I don’t know. There are some very attractive people in the yes pile.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” I say. I reach for one of the profiles in the yes pile, placed prominently at the side. It was Chaeyoung’s, the future winner of Wed Game. “This one literally blows my mind.”

Chaeyoung laughs at that and nudges me.

“Promise me then,” she says. “Promise me you will not fall for another contestant.”

“Of course, Chae,” I reply. “You have my word.”