Chapter 7

Strung Apart by Fate

Beomgyu sighed as he flopped down in his usual seat at the cafeteria, being joined by Taehyun and Kai. Soobin was working, and their friend group had pretty much dissolved after Jay's spiral into depression. Only Heeseung and Jake hung out with them nowadays, and that was fine with them.

"I guess that's that huh?" Asked Taehyun as he leaned back in his chair. "Where's Jay been anyway?" He asked. "I don't know," sighed Beomgyu. "He stopped coming back to the dorms, so I assume he's taking a break," he added.

"Allen lives in a different dorm doesn't he?" Asked Taehyun. "Yeah, Allen told me that Jay is there most of the time now," replied Beomgyu. "Hm," hummed Taehyun.

"Aren't you being a bit harsh with him?" Asked Kai. "Not at all," grumbled Beomgyu. "We're offering our help if he wants it, but he really doesn't want it," he explained.

"What about you and your soulmate?" Asked Kai. "I can't get close to him," sighed Beomgyu as the tablet pinged, causing Beomgyu to look at it, tapping the screen and looking at it.

"Ah, my friend is finally coming back to Korea," hummed Beomgyu as the corners of his lips went up in a smile. "Ah, the one you kept telling us about? You said his soulmate thing was similar to yours," remarked Kai. "His is he doesn't age until he finds his soulmate, so yeah," hummed Beomgyu. "That sounds like Yeonjun," remarked Taehyun. "Maybe we know him, who knows," he added. "I wouldn't be surprised if we did have him as a friend in common," hummed Beomgyu as he put his tablet away in his bag.

 

~



"I don't think Jay is coming back," commented Jake as Beomgyu was typing something into his tablet. "Allen said something didn't he?" Asked Beomgyu. "Allen got to the point of pushing him away," responded Jake as he leaned back in his chair.

"Where'd you hear this information?" Asked Beomgyu as he looked up at Jake. "Jungmo and Wonjin are in one of my classes," came the reply as Jake let out a sigh. "Ah, that makes sense," hummed Beomgyu as he got up, tucking his tablet under his arm before going to put his shoes on.

"Where are you going?" Asked Jake as he watched Beomgyu. "My friend is finally here, I'm going to meet them at the cafe," came the response as Beomgyu left the room, leaving the dorms and almost sprinting for the cafe.

 

~



Taehyun and Heeseung were working in the cafe with Jungwon who was cleaning the machines while Taehyun and Heeseung focused on drinks when they weren't staying close to each other.

Beomgyu panted as he entered the cafe, stopping to catch his breath before going to get his usual drink. "Your friend is almost here?" Asked Taehyun as he looked at Beomgyu. "I told him to meet me here, so yeah," responded Beomgyu as he paid for his drink. "Make that two," he added. Taehyun nodded and went to get the cups and pass them down, letting Jungwon and Heeseung make the drinks. Beomgyu walked over to where the drinks were being made, waiting for his drinks and making small talk with Heeseung and Jungwon.

 

~



The door chimed as it opened, causing everyone to look towards it, Beomgyu grinning at who it was. Taehyun snorts. "Of course it'd be Yeonjun," he scoffed, jokingly of course. "Hey," Yeonjun greeted with his own grin, walking over and sitting in front of Beomgyu who passed over his drink before leaning back in his chair.

"Welcome back to Korea," greeted Beomgyu as he checked his tablet for news on the others he was connected to. "Thanks," muttered Yeonjun as he took a sip of his drink. "Any luck?" Asked Beomgyu. "No," sighed Yeonjun. "I went everywhere looking for them," he explained. "Where'd you go, Europe this time?" Asked Beomgyu. Yeonjun nodded. "No luck this time," he replied before taking a sip of his coffee.

"How long are you staying around this time?" Asked Beomgyu. "For the foreseeable future at least," responded Yeonjun as he nodded. "I gotta help my roommates pay for their rent," he added. "Who knew we would find common acquaintances within our circle?" Asked Beomgyu. Yeonjun shrugged. "At least you found your soulmate," he commented. "For how long do I have him with me this time is the real question," hummed Beomgyu as he looked thoughtful.

"You already know don't you?" asked Yeonjun. "No, it tells me how long I have until the next life," explained Beomgyu. "Hm," hummed Yeonjun.

 

~



Beomgyu was surprised that the one class he had with Soobin decided to put them as partners, but this did give them a chance to become closer, and let Beomgyu get to know the Soobin of this life. Jake and Jungwon were in their group, and Jake sat between Soobin and Beomgyu so that Beomgyu couldn't be so close to Soobin and Jungwon sat on the other side of Soobin to make things less awkward for Soobin.

"So I guess we should do this," started Beomgyu as he jotted down ideas in his notebook, letting everyone look at the notebook on the paper. "I think we can work something out," agreed Jake as he nodded. "Where should we meet to do this?" Asked Jungwon. "We can meet at my place, you guys know where that is right?" Asked Soobin.

"With how much Heeseung spends there it won't be hard to get the directions from him," scoffed Jungwon, jokingly. "But we do know where to go," he added. "We can meet today after my shift at the cafe?" He asked. "I'd be down," agreed Jake as Beomgyu nodded in agreement.

"How's Yeonjun doing by the way?" Asked Beomgyu. "He's finally getting out of the house," sighed Soobin. "He tends to mope for a few days before doing anything yeah," hummed Beomgyu. "How long have you known each other?" Asked Soobin. "A long time," replied Beomgyu as the tablet pinged, causing Beomgyu to grab it and tap the screen to look at it.

"Ah, Yeonjun wants to meet for lunch," explained Beomgyu as he typed in a reply. "He asked if you wanted to come along, Soobin," he added. "Eh? Sure," replied Soobin as he nodded. "Cool," Beomgyu said with a grin before typing up a reply. "He's picking us up after your shift at the cafe," he added as he got another reply. "He said that Kai and Taehyun are getting dragged along too," he explained. "Hm," hummed Soobin.

 

~



Beomgyu met up with Taehyun and Kai outside the cafe just before Soobin's shift ended, Taehyun with his hands in his pockets while Kai hung back with his hands behind his head, chatting excitedly about his soulmate. Taehyun could only nod along, semi paying attention as he watched Beomgyu closely. Beomgyu was stiff, standing straighter which was unusual for him as Taehyun normally observed him having a more casual slump to his stance.

"Seongmin is so god damn cute it's not even funny," rambled Kai as he nearly talked Taehyun's ears off. "He is shorter than you," commented Taehyun as he turned his full attention on Kai when Beomgyu nodded reassuringly to Taehyun. It seemed like Jay had gotten into another fight, which caused Taehyun to let out a soft sigh.

"Jay again huh?" Asked Soobin as he stepped out of the cafe after clocking out. "Honestly," grumbled Beomgyu as he slumped forward slightly, relaxing into a more casual stance as he tried to smile at Soobin.

"So where are we going?" Asked Soobin. "There's a barbecue place just down the street, Yeonjun's meeting us there," explained Beomgyu as he started walking, heading towards the aforementioned place. Everyone followed after him, Taehyun hanging back with Kai while Soobin walked with Beomgyu.

As they were walking Beomgyu stepped out onto the street and almost got hit by a car that ran a red light. Soobin was quick as he grabbed Beomgyu by the shirt and pulled him back, surprising Beomgyu as he fell back into Soobin's arms as Soobin caught him.