Chapter 1

Strung Apart by Fate

"Did you know we got a new student?" Asked Taehyun as he joined Soobin at the counter to help make drinks. "Really?" Asked Soobin.

"Apparently he's a transfer," explained Taehyun. "Huh," hummed Soobin as he looked thoughtful, concentrating on the drink machine as Heeseung passed over drink orders.

"Is he in some of your classes?" Asked Heeseung as Soobin passed orders down the counter to a coworker of theirs named Jungwon who called for them as they were passed down. "I think so," replied Taehyun as he shrugged. "I don't know though," he added. "Just heard from the grapevine anyway," he explained.

"Ah, Beomgyu?" Asked Jungwon as he handed out more orders. "He moved into our dorms yesterday," he explained. "I had to show him to his room, he's rooming with Jake I think," he added.

"Oh, looks like I'll be seeing him tonight," remarked Heeseung. "You're still rooming with Jay right?" Asked Taehyun. "He'll gossip about it all week since him and Jake tend to do that a lot," he added.

"How's Yeonjun been by the way? We haven't seen him since the end of high school," remarked Taehyun. "He's fine, he said he was still looking for his soulmate," explained Soobin. "I think Kai said he was coming back next week or something right?" He asked.

"Yeah, he's visiting his family for a bit before coming back, he's gonna miss the first week of classes," replied Taehyun. "Hm," hummed Soobin.

 

~



Beomgyu looked around the room he was given after returning from a tour of the campus, setting his bag down on the bed that looked unused. "I can't believe that transfer worked," he mumbled to himself as he flopped down on the bed beside his bag, sighing in relief. "Only you would get into the best school in the country huh?" He grumbled, turning his head to stare at the bag that carried only his most personal items.

"Beomgyu was it?" Came a voice that caused Beomgyu to lift his head to spot his roommate. "Yeah, that's me," replied Beomgyu as he sat up, studying who he assumed was Jake. "I'm Jake, welcome to our dorms," greeted Jake as he held out a hand. Beomgyu got to his feet, walking over and shaking hands with Jake. "Beomgyu, nice to meet you," he greeted back, the corners of his lips going up in a smile.

"I only have a few rules here," stated Jake as he motioned to the room in general. "Keep your side clean, no food, water is fine in here, and if you're up studying late at night keep the screen low so we can sleep," he explained. "Sure, no problem," replied Beomgyu as he nodded. "Good, we'll be good roommates then!" Jake exclaimed excitedly as he grinned, reminding Beomgyu of an excited puppy as he fought down a snort.

 

~



Heeseung sighed as he looked down at his boyfriend, who simply scowled up at him. "What? I'll be fine," whined Heeseung. "I- I just have bad vibes," mumbled Taehyun as he dropped the scowl for a pout. "I know I've only seen this guy in passing, but just be careful okay?" He asked. "Sure sure," reassured Heeseung as he reached out and tousled Taehyun's hair.

"I'll see you tomorrow then?" Asked Heeseung. "I guess," sighed Taehyun as he turned, leaving the dorm area to head back to his and Soobin's house. Heeseung shook his head before turning and opening the door and stepping into the dorm house, spotting Jay in the living area playing Mario Kart with Niki to see who would make dinner.

"How was work?" Asked Jay as he didn't look up from the TV. "It went fine, Jungwon left early again," sighed Heeseung. "Said something about a date with Sunghoon or something," he added. "Ah, they're here somewhere," explained Jay. "Also we got a new dormmate," he added. "He's rooming with Jake right now," he added. "Hm," hummed Heeseung as he walked out of the living area and headed down the hall to the bedrooms.

Heeseung entered his room just as Jay's shout of victory echoed down the hall and Niki's whining before Niki went to get dinner made. "God those two," Heeseung mumbled, jokingly as he threw his bag onto the chair next to his desk before going to get his towel and head into the connecting bathroom to take a shower.

 

~



Heeseung met Beomgyu during dinner, and he understood what Taehyun meant now. "So what'd you transfer here to do?" asked Heeseung as he looked curious. "Ah? I'm in computer science but the literature program was too good to pass up," explained Beomgyu as he shrugged. "I was honestly surprised they let me transfer to be honest with you," he added.

"They had more than my other school did anyway," explained Beomgyu as he shrugged, taking a bite of food.

"So you know everyone in this dorm has yet to find their soulmate right?" Asked Jay. "Well, except Heeseung, but they put him here anyway," he added. "Oh?" Asked Beomgyu. "Hey, I could move in with Taehyun and Soobin but they're about to get crowded with Kai returning," grumbled Heeseung. "Also I can't afford their rent," he added.

"A 4 bedroom house is too expensive for you?" Asked Jay. "You'd be surprised at how expensive that can get," sighed Heeseung.

"Soobin's rich, apparently," explained Niki. "But he doesn't want to let that humble him, so the job he has is just a secondary source of income," he added. "Interesting," hummed Beomgyu, as he listened to the conversation that was about his soulmate.

"Doesn't Soobin pay the rent anyway? While Taehyun, Kai and Yeonjun work on the bills?" Asked Jake. "I think so," hummed Jay. "Where can we get a rich friend like that?" He asked. "I'm friends with said rich person, but Soobin doesn't let it get to his head," chimed in Heeseung.

 

~



"Taehyun said to keep an eye on you," commented Heeseung as he confronted Beomgyu. "I don't know who this Taehyun is," Beomgyu replied as he tilted his head to the side. "But I'm harmless," he added. "You don't need to worry about me," he explained.

"Is there a problem here?" Asked Jungwon as he stepped into the hallway from his and Sunghoon's room. "Nothing," reassured Beomgyu as he turned to Jungwon. "Heeseung's just welcoming me is all," he added. "Do you need to spend the night at Taehyun's?" Asked Jungwon as he noticed how tense Heeseung was. "Nah, I'll be fine," huffed Heeseung as he shook his head before going into his and Jay's room.

Beomgyu watched him go before turning to Jungwon who watched him with a raised eyebrow. "Are you sure you're not going to be a problem?" Asked Jungwon. "Yeah, no I'll be fine," reassured Beomgyu. "I honestly don't know where this hostility is coming from," he explained, shrugging.

 

~



Taehyun grumbled when text messages started pouring into his phone, waking him up from his sleep as he lifted his head and reached out to grab his phone and bring it to his face to check his messages.

Heeseung: You're right, there's something wrong with him.
Taehyun wake up damn it!
This is important!

Taehyun: You woke me up just to tell me THAT?

Heeseung: I met him during dinner, and he just had that kind of VIBE.
like when we met or something.
he apparently is like you, or like you were anyway.


Taehyun sighed as he turned to lay on his back, thinking of a reply.

Taehyun: just keep an eye on him yeah?
you don't need to like become friends, but just BE CAREFUL.

Heeseung: I'll try.
apparently his room is next to mine and Jay's
he's rooming with Jake.

Taehyun: don't do anything stupid hyung

Heeseung: you think I'd do something stupid?
wait don't answer that


That caused Taehyun to chuckle, shaking his head and turning his phone on do not disturb before placing it back on the wireless charger on his nightstand. He then turned and buried his face into his pillow and tried to fall back asleep.