Chapter 5

Strung Apart by Fate

Beomgyu stared at the still form of his soulmate, reaching out ever so gently to close his eyes. "I'm sorry, whoever you are," he whispered, moving his hand back to his chest and getting up. "I'm sorry, okay?" He asked.
 

~



Beomgyu opened his eyes and looked up at the ceiling, memories of the first death still fresh in his mind as he sat up.

"Can't sleep again?" Asked Jake as he yawned, rubbing his eyes before focusing on his laptop. "Says the one who's awake doing homework," retorted Beomgyu as he turned to face Jake. Jake scoffed, reaching over and grabbing his cup of water before taking a sip, putting it back on the table next to his laptop.

"What time is it anyway?" Asked Beomgyu. "It's almost 4 am," replied Jake as he leaned back in his chair, stretching and cracking his knuckles before returning to his laptop to type out a few more paragraphs.

"And you're still awake?" Asked Beomgyu. "I don't have classes today, I can afford to furiously type this paper," retorted Jake as he continued typing away. "If you're still awake by the time the cafe opens let's get some coffee," hummed Beomgyu. "Sure," agreed Jake as he looked down at his keyboard.

 

~



Beomgyu and Jake entered the cafe at a reasonable time, Jake looking like he was going to pass out at any moment while Beomgyu looked a bit more rested than Jake did. "You look exhausted," commented Soobin as he stood at the counter. "I pulled an all nighter, what can I say," grumbled Jake as he yawned.

"We'll get our usuals," commented Beomgyu as he nodded, keeping somewhat of a distance. Jake went to pay for it, swiping his card after Soobin rung up the orders. He passed down the cups to his coworker as Jake went to stand where the drinks were passed to. Beomgyu nodded to Soobin before going to sit down by the windows and people watch.

Jake sat down across from Beomgyu after getting their drinks, Beomgyu mumbling a thanks before taking a sip of his coffee.

 

~



"So how does your soulmate thing work?" Asked Jay as he sat in front of Beomgyu at the library while Beomgyu was working on something for one of his classes. "Do you just know when your soulmate is reborn?" He asked. "Yeah," hummed Beomgyu. "It's how I found out that I was dealing with reincarnation," he added.

"It also lets us know what others have, which by the way you're more obvious than you think," he added. "I don't know what you're talking about," retorted Jay. "Okay, so what explains the pain you're going through everytime something happens to your wrist?" Asked Beomgyu. Jay turned away, glaring at something in the distance.

"Look, I'm not saying you should find your soulmate before something happens, but you may need to do something before something happens," explained Beomgyu. "I don't know how," mumbled Jay as he looked down at his lap. "It's not like you where you know, or Kai and his timer," he added. "I want to help them, don't get me wrong," he explained. "But I don't know how," he added.

Beomgyu reached out and patted Jay's shoulder. "You'll be okay, okay?" He asked. "Just hang in there yeah?" He asked. "I'll try and pull some strings and see who you have as a soulmate," he explained. "I guess," hummed Jay.

 

~



Beomgyu let out a breath, looking up at the building where all the soulmates names were held. There were more Jay Parks than he could count but he was sure with what little information he had he could see who Jay's was. He was also here to see how long it would be before Soobin's next life. If he failed in saving his soulmate this time anyway.

Beomgyu walked into the building after a minute of hesitation, going inside to look around the giant library. He nodded to the receptionist before immediately heading to his section first. The reincarnation list was tiny, with only a few in his category, including Taehyun's. He noticed though, that Taehyun's had been removed, possibly due to Taehyun's soulmate being saved.

Beomgyu found his book and flipped through to the life before the current one, noting the small similarities between that one and Soobin's current life. He then flipped to the current life and couldn't help the smile that appeared at all of Soobin's achievements. "Leave it to you to be the best huh?" He asked, a small chuckle escaping him before flipping to the next life, keeping note of how many more years it would take before the next reincarnation stage after Soobin's death. He sighed before putting his book up, almost wishing their roles were reversed.

Or that it was easier to break it this time around. He knew it'd be an impossible task, but Beomgyu knew the one last resort would switch their roles and he wasn't sure if he wanted that for Soobin.

Beomgyu soon turned and walked over to Jay's section which took up an entire aisle of bookshelves to his surprise and immediately went to look for Jay's name. When he finally found it on the top level of a bookshelf using a ladder Beomgyu leaned against the ladder as he opened the book, quickly reading through it. The surprise was immediate, almost causing Beomgyu to drop the book before he put the book back in place. He quickly got off the ladder, bumping into the bookshelf behind him before he turned and left the building.

"I'm so sorry Jay," whispered Beomgyu as he headed back to the dorms.

 

~



"Did you find out anything?" Asked Jake as Beomgyu entered their room. "I found out how long I have before the next life," replied Beomgyu as he shrugged. "But not for Jay's?" Asked Jake. "No, I couldn't find anything," sighed Beomgyu as he sat down on his bed after throwing his bag on it. He took out his tablet and turned it on, tapping the screen a few times before typing something in.

"Where is Jay speaking of?" Asked Beomgyu as he looked up at Jake who was looking at something on his phone. "He said he was working today, Heeseung and Taehyun are there with him," replied Jake as he shrugged..

"Can you let him know I'm heading over?" Asked Beomgyu as he got up, putting the tablet in his bag before putting the bag on his back. "Sure," replied Jake as he did so. "Thanks," said Beomgyu as he left the dorm and headed to the cafe.

 

~



"Jay, are you busy?" Asked Beomgyu as he entered the cafe. "Not at the moment no," came the reply as Jay leaned back against the back counter. "We need to talk, now," explained Beomgyu. Jay blinked in surprise, turning to Taehyun and Heeseung who turned to Beomgyu with their eyebrows raised.

"Go, it's fine," dismissed Taehyun as he knew what this was really about. Jay took off his work apron before walking around and going with Beomgyu to sit down in a quiet corner.