Chapter 6

Strung Apart by Fate

Jay's shout of "what?!" echoed through the empty cafe as Jay stood up, his wrist clutched to his chest as the chair behind him hit the floor.

"Jay, I know this is hard to handle but," sighed Beomgyu as he got to his feet. "I- how do you know this information?" Asked Jay as he grabbed his chair and set it upright before sitting down, nursing his wrist as Beomgyu looked pained at the information he found out about Jay's soulmate.

"Go to this building," explained Beomgyu as he took a napkin and wrote down an address. "Speak to the receptionist there when you enter, if it's a library, otherwise leave," he added. "I didn't want to believe it either, but you need closure," he explained, handing it to Jay.

"How do you know about this place?" Asked Jay as he looked at the address. "I stumbled into the building after the last death," mumbled Beomgyu as he sat down. "It's how I found out where my soulmate is now," he explained. "The receptionist should give you a tablet that gave details about their life, and it connects you to the network to reach out to others in our situation," he added.

"It's better if you go alone," chimed in Taehyun as he walked over and sat down beside Beomgyu. "I stumbled upon this place myself, after finding Heeseung and managing to save him that day," he added. "Lots of people stumble on that place after learning of something that happened to their soulmate, and we're here, okay? If you need us," he added.

"If I get this tablet, will we be able to communicate?" Asked Jay. "Just mention who you know in the archives, full name and such, and you'll be connected to mine and Beomgyu's," explained Taehyun. "Heeseung doesn't need one, since he's in our group chats, but Beomgyu's fine without a phone thanks to the tablet," he added.

"Do you mind if I leave?" Asked Jay as he turned to Taehyun. "No, I think we'll be fine, I can always call in Jungwon," replied Taehyun as he nodded. "Or Sunghoon and Jake," he added. "Hell, I think one of the morning crew is free right now," he said with a shrug.

"My soulmate is a high schooler?!" Shouted Kai as he entered the cafe with someone who was wearing a high school uniform. "I-I'm graduating this year," whined the person who looked tiny standing next to Kai. "Looks like we have a new baby in the group," remarked Taehyun as he let out a soft chuckle, getting up and walking back to the counter to get their orders.

"Speaking of morning crew," remarked Heeseung as he smirked at Kai's predicament. "Ah-hah," mumbled the newcomer as he scratched the back of his head.

"Soobin's fitting in with y'all right?" Asked Heeseung. "Yeah, of course," replied the new person, who introduced himself as Seongmin. "I'll be moving to afternoon shifts soon, school starts for us next week," he explained. "It actually started today, but since it's Friday well," he added, shrugging his shoulders.

"I never thought I'd see the day a high schooler was willing to do morning shifts," remarked Beomgyu. "Well, it was something to do during the summer anyway," hummed Seongmin. "I came to change my hours, so if you excuse me," he added, rushing into the backroom.

Jay had left the cafe by then, leaving Beomgyu to his devices as he typed things into his tablet.

 

~



"You want to switch rooms?" Asked Jake as he turned to Beomgyu. "Jay's not in a good spot right now," responded Beomgyu as he sat down with his tablet, tapping the screen a few times before typing out a response to something.

"No offense to Heeseung or anything," added Beomgyu as he turned his attention to Jake. "Did Heeseung agree to change rooms?" Asked Jake. "For a while, yeah," responded Beomgyu as he nodded. "Until Jay feels like he'll be fine," he added.

"For a little while then," agreed Jake. Beomgyu nodded and grabbed his bag, slinging it over his shoulder before leaving the room to go into Jay and Heeseung's room. Jay looked up at Beomgyu as he entered the room.

"Thank you for staying," said Jay as he nodded. "No problem," hummed Beomgyu as he sat down on Heeseung's bed. "Heeseung went to stay at Taehyun's then?" He asked. "For a bit," replied Jay as he nodded.

 

~



Beomgyu watched Jay closely in the one class he shared with him, though he was sure everyone else had picked up on Jay's turmoil as news of what had happened to Jay and his soulmate spread throughout the university like an uncontrollable wildfire. Looks of pity, sympathy and disgust were amongst those that Jay interacted with on a daily basis due to his classes.

It was rather fortunate that everyone in their friend group had at least one class with Jay so he wouldn't be alone.

When the morning crew heard of what had happened, they managed to get Allen added to the small group chat, as he had gone through a similar situation. Allen was taking the same major as Jay, and Jay was happy that someone else was watching out for him.

 

~



"God you'd think that this is high school all over again," commented Taehyun as he leaned back in his chair listening to whatever the teacher was saying. "I was very lucky to never experience this crap," grumbled Beomgyu as he doodled in his notebook, answering questions whenever the teacher called on him to make it seem like he was paying attention.

The tablet pinged with a message, and Beomgyu discreetly looked at it, tapping at the screen with the eraser part of his pencil as he read the message. Beomgyu got to his feet, looking surprised as he read the message. "Sorry, family emergency!" Shouted Beomgyu as he grabbed his stuff and ran out of the classroom in a hurry.

Taehyun checked his tablet before quickly going after Beomgyu, hoping to get to Jay in time before something stupid happened.

"Hey idiots!" Shouted Beomgyu as he grabbed a hold of one of the people beating up Jay and tossing them away from the fight. "Don't you have anything better to do than this?" He spat as he kicked the other people off of Jay.

A punch was thrown his way, but Taehyun stopped them before Beomgyu could retaliate, Taehyun twisting their arm behind his back and delivering a kick to their back and sending the person to the ground. Jay groaned on the ground as he tried to move, Jungwon and Sunghoon running over and helping Jay to his feet. Allen was nearby with two other upperclassmen from what Beomgyu managed to gather.

"Thanks for calling us over," called Beomgyu as he waved to Allen. Allen nodded. "Sorry I couldn't do much more, I was just coming in for classes when this happened," he explained. "No problem," dismissed Beomgyu. "Go on, we got it from here," he reassured with a nod. Allen nodded, looking at Jay who nodded for him to go ahead. "I'll be fine," reassured Jay. Allen turned and walked away, the two people with him turning and walking with him.

"Jay what the hell?" Asked Beomgyu as he turned back to Jay. "They started it first," grunted Jay as he pushed Sunghoon and Jungwon away before getting to his feet. Beomgyu sighed, shaking his head. "If you're going to be like this, don't bother asking for help then," he retorted, turning and walking away. Taehyun turned and followed after him.