Epilogue

Strung Apart by Fate

Soobin felt like he was an outsider, looking in on other people's lives as they continued to age and he stayed the same age for all the years it took before he could find Beomgyu again.

The one constant person in his life after Dann was surprisingly Allen, who revealed that he was working for one of the elusive kings that just didn't need him at the moment. He had met his soulmate, but they didn't want anything to do with him.

Yeonjun and Seoho still checked up on him every now and again but the one person that constantly stayed by his side was definitely Allen.

 

~



As years passed Soobin got to see the others achieve their dreams, Kai getting his own restaurant that quickly became famous and Taehyun and Heeseung landing their dream jobs after they both graduated from university.

Jake had returned to Australia after graduation, though Soobin maintained contact with him despite all the travelling he ended up doing after he had finished school.

Jay had been someone that despite the odds managed to move on and live a successful art career. Thanks to Yunho and Dongmyeong who stayed by his side through out the hardships Jay had managed to sell a lot of art and was able to do something he truly loved doing.

Seongmin stayed with Kai and now helped run the restaurant and made sure everything was good financially. Soobin always went over for a free meal whenever he did visit Korea, as Kai insisted that he did. Kai did the same for Jake, and Jay whenever he visited.

 

~



The first of their friend group to die was Heeseung, who after a long career of being an archeologist died of a after returning home from teaching at the university.

Soobin had been there for his funeral, as he happened to be in Korea at the time, and got to catch up with the others.

"It's good to see you again," greeted Taehyun as he patted Soobin on the shoulder. "You're still as young as ever I see," he remarked, smirking at the sheepish look Soobin sported.

"This will probably be the last time I'll be here to see you," Soobin reminded with a shake of his head. "Alive anyway," he added. "So don't wait on me yeah?" He asked.

"Until the next life," Taehyun said in farewell as he gave Soobin a bone crushing hug.

"Until the next life," echoed Soobin as he returned the hug before stepping away and waving at Taehyun as he turned and walked away, putting his hands in his pockets.

 

~



Soobin wasn't able to make it to Taehyun's funeral, but Allen had gone in his place and ended up taking over Kai's restaurant with Seoho who had returned to Korea to help him out.

Their kings weren't in need of them for the moment, so it seemed that Soobin was alone again, with the occasional travelling partner in Yeonjun or Yunho, as Dongmyeong by that point had found his soulmate. By that point it looked like Kai and Seongmin where the next in their friend group to go, and Soobin made sure to ask Allen to send him updates.

Dann had him in Australia for the moment at least, so he was able to catch up with Jake before he eventually left this world for the next. Jay was not too far behind from what he understood, as cancer got to him later in life. Jay had a family now though, and they made sure to send Soobin updates on how things were going.

"You're in a somber mood," remarked Jake as he sat down in a rocking chair on the porch where Soobin was sitting and staring off into the distance.

"I guess I understand now, why Beomgyu didn't have many friends," commented Soobin as he let out a soft sigh. "But I guess because he lived as long as he had it didn't matter much," he added. "He had his friends, and those left are like me," he explained.

"I'm sure that's why he didn't bother getting close with anyone before his death," remarked Jake. "But that was years ago," he hummed.

"One day I hope to see you again, in the next life," Soobin said in farewell as he got up, leaving the porch and heading for the road where a car pulled up.

"Same to you my friend," Jake said in farewell as he waved at Soobin as he got in the car, said car driving off after Soobin put on his seatbelt.

 

~



More years had passed and Soobin found himself back in Korea, starting university again after so long. He was annoyed that he had to go back to school, but Dann had explained that everyone was required to go back at some point. Soobin had been the last person to go back, putting it off as long as possible so that he had a chance to meet Beomgyu once again, and maybe. Just maybe meet the others again in their next life like he had promised.

After getting a free breakfast at Allen's restaurant Soobin grabbed what little things he had and went to the dorms he would be staying in, a sense of nostalgia hitting him as he stared at the building in front of him. "Welcome back huh?" He asked himself before he stepped into the dorms, looking around the living area to get a feel of the place. He remembered staying here his freshman year, so he took it in stride and went to find his room. It was only for one year, then he'd go live off campus for the rest of his time as a college student.

 

~



Soobin was running late, waking up late as he rushed down the street to where his first classes were. It was the first day of his junior year and he was already late to classes.

"Wait up man!" Yelled Heeseung as he rushed after Soobin. Heeseung had met Soobin during Heeseung's freshman orientation and he had been assigned as Heeseung's mentor. They became fast friends and were now roommates.

"Unlike you, my professor doesn't like us being late," Soobin shouted back as he turned to look back at Heeseung before feeling himself collide with someone, stopping him in his tracks as he fell back onto his back with a grunt.

"Oi, watch where you're going yeah?" Came a very familiar voice as Soobin looked up to see Beomgyu as he held out his hand for Soobin to grab. Soobin grabbed it and Beomgyu helped him up.

"Oi, what's the hurry?" Came another voice as Taehyun walked over.

"-Sorry, was running late, excuse me," mumbled Soobin as he bowed before pushing passed Beomgyu and Taehyun and running to classes. He didn't want the curse to-

"Oi, watch out!" Yelled Heeseung as there was sounds of squealing brakes behind Soobin.

Soobin turned around to see Taehyun grabbing Beomgyu as Beomgyu had turned to follow after Soobin, nearly getting run over in the process. Soobin ran over once it was clear, his hands immediately reaching out to grab Beomgyu and bring him into a hug.

"W-What?" Asked Beomgyu as he just stood there.

"We just broke our curse," Soobin mumbled into Beomgyu's shoulder, sniffling as all his pent up emotions finally just burst, sobbing into Beomgyu's shoulder.

 

~



"So we switched roles huh?" Asked Beomgyu as he got the explanation from Soobin. "That's crazy, but I guess I do see why my past life would do that," he sighed.

"Your past life lived for so long," remarked Soobin. "But now, we can finally live our life together," he added, grinning at Beomgyu who smiled back.

"There's people I haven't seen again yet though," sighed Soobin. "But I'm sure, we'll see them again," he added.

"You made that promise yeah? I'm sure we'll see them soon," hummed Beomgyu as he looked off into the distance.