Chapter 17

Strung Apart by Fate

Beomgyu let out a resigned sigh as he stared at the camera. "Hey Soobin," he greeted.

"You're probably wondering where I am right now," he remarked with a shrug. "Well, if you are watching this video that means that you survived the surgery," he explained. "That means I am no longer here," he added.

"I couldn't have it any other way," he explained with a sigh. "I am probably being selfish for passing on my curse to you but I knew that if I didn't do this then the chance of you dying would've still been there if someone else donated," he added.

"I know you didn't want me to continue suffering alone, and I'm now making you go through this but maybe you'll be able to save me the next life," he commented as tears started falling.

He quickly wiped away his tears, taking a deep breath before looking back at the camera.

"You'll be fine, okay?" He asked. "Dann will keep an eye on you, and so will everyone else," he added. "You won't be alone, my old group will look out for you, along with Taehyun and Heeseung," he explained.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, a sob escaping him before he reached over and turned off the camera.

 

~



"H-He," whispered Soobin as he dropped the tablet on the bed beside him. "He really did that?" He asked, sniffling as he wiped away his tears that were now falling.

"He didn't want to see you because he knew this was the last chance he'd have to save you," explained Taehyun as he took a steady breath to calm his nerves. "This took a lot on his part you know?" He asked. "Beomgyu insisted he did it because he didn't want a chance for it to fail," he explained.

"I-I get it," mumbled Soobin. "It doesn't make it hurt any less," he added. "I guess that was his big plan after all," he sighed, moving his right hand over his heart and resting his hand on his chest. "I'll continue to live for him, until next time," he mumbled.

"Did anyone else visit while I was unconscious?" Asked Soobin as he changed the subject.

"Kai dropped off one of his teddy bears," responded Taehyun as he looked over at the table with the teddy bear and card. "Heeseung brought over the card and your parents left the flowers before they had to go back on a business trip," he added. "Beomgyu got you your tablet, so that's yours," he explained when Soobin picked up the tablet and looked at it. "I'm in your contacts, along with Jay and Heeseung," he added. "Dann should be stopping by one of these days before your release to talk about future plans regarding what happens concerning you both, and I think that's it," he hummed.

"I guess I'm under Dann now huh?" Asked Soobin. "Since I guess I'm taking Beomgyu's place," he sighed. "I wonder how that's gonna work out? Will I be able to finish school before I have to do any travelling?" He asked.

"You still have the rest of this year then next year right?" Asked Taehyun. "You should be able to finish it," he added. "But I'm sure Dann will explain everything," he remarked with a shrug. Soobin hummed in response.

 

~



When Dann finally came around a few days later Soobin was breathing a bit easier, and the nurse had taken the cannula off and moved the bed to where he was sitting up slightly. Taehyun had gone back to classes, but Kai was there to keep him company since Yeonjun was off travelling with Ivan again.

"So you'll be travelling like Yeonjun huh?" Asked Kai as he ate lunch with Soobin.

"Mhm," hummed Soobin, his mouth full of food as he nodded. He waited until he swallowed all the food before deciding to speak, putting his bowl down on the table in front of him. "I think so anyway," he added. "I think he said he'd come over to discuss everything with me before we do any travelling," he explained.

"That's what I came around today to do," came a voice as Dann walked into the room, nodding to Kai who bowed his head in greeting as he finished eating his food. "I won't be long," he added. "As you still need to recover fully before any travel is involved," he explained.

"Can we wait until I graduate from university?" Asked Soobin as he put all of his attention on Dann. "I would like to do that at least," he added. "Plus it gives me enough time to fulfill a last wish of Beomgyu's," he explained. "Jake mentioned that Beomgyu offered to go to Australia with him when he went back to visit," he added. "And I don't know when you're planning on heading back to the states, if you are, but I'd like to try and visit Jay too," he added as an afterthought.

"That's fine," responded Dann as he nodded. "It gives me some time to prepare for my own departure again," he explained with a shrug. "Seoho will come and help you, he's taken a liking to you," he added.

"I did like him," commented Soobin. "I'm guessing I'll be learning a bunch of things from him too?" He asked.

"Expect some spars here and there too," Dann responded with a shake of his head. "I don't know how you'll fare against him, but if Beomgyu said you were a lot like your first life you should be able to sweep him off his feet," he explained.

"Did I really?" Asked Soobin, his mouth dropping open in surprise before he shook his head in amusement.

"Believe me, you used to dominate the spars back then," Dann boasted with a chuckle. "But that was the first life, who knows how you will do this life," he added.

"Who knows, my mind may still remember the spars enough, but my body may need to adjust to it again," remarked Soobin.

"We'll work it out later, right now just focus on healing kid," Dann said in finality before turning and leaving the room.

"Always straight to the point, huh?" Asked Kai after Dann was gone and the door had closed behind him.

"It's the king side of him," sighed Soobin. "I'm sure he only acts so formal due to certain circumstances," he explained.

 

~



When it was time for Soobin to get released from the hospital there was quite the party waiting for him that consisted of Seoho, who had become one of Soobin's closest friends after Taehyun, Taehyun and Heeseung, Kai and Seongmin, and Jake. Jake had wheeled Soobin and Kai's teddy bear, which Soobin kept after Kai said it was a gift to him, out of the hospital where the others were waiting by the entrance with a van that would take Soobin home.

"Time to go home, huh?" Asked Soobin as he took in the welcoming party. "Can't wait to finally sleep in my own bed again," he sighed, hearing Jake chuckle from behind him.

"Rest easy yeah?" Asked Heeseung as he helped Soobin into the passenger seat of the van. "Jake and I need to return to the dorms, so Taehyun's taking us back," he added. "Seoho's taking you, Kai and Seongmin back," he explained as Soobin nodded.

"You've been excused from classes by the way," reassured Jake. "Just focus on healing okay?" He asked as Heeseung closed the door.

Kai and Seongmin quickly got into the back of the van while Seoho got into the driver's seat and started the van. After waving in goodbye Seoho drove off, heading home.