Chapter 16

Strung Apart by Fate

Beomgyu laid on the operating room table, looking up at the ceiling as the doctors moved around to prepare this surgery. Soobin was unconscious beside him and Beomgyu reached out a hand to hold onto Soobin's before the doctor put the mask on his face. It was the last thing Beomgyu felt before he passed out.
 

~A few days earlier~



Soobin's condition was worsening, and Beomgyu felt off the whole time. He stopped going to classes, seeing no point anymore since Beomgyu would most likely not live to see the end of the school year. He still did his work for his classes but he was preparing for his departure in the mean time.

Beomgyu got in touch with the old group, letting them know that he wouldn't be in this world much longer and to take care of his soulmate, who would be taking his place.

After letting Dann know of what was coming Beomgyu went to the hospital to talk with Soobin's doctor, to let them know he was ready. This type of procedure Beomgyu knew he had a very slim chance of surviving, but it was better for Soobin to stay alive this time. Beomgyu didn't know how many more deaths he could take at this point. He just knew that he had to change his fate this time. Even if he was being selfish for it.

 

~



"Don't tell Soobin what I'm about to do, okay?" Asked Beomgyu as he sat with Heeseung while he was on break at the cafe.

"I know," mumbled Heeseung. "I thought it'd be me you know, that'd save Soobin," he sighed.

"I can't separate you from Taehyun," explained Beomgyu. "You waited so long to finally get to Taehyun and now you've had your chance to live together without this curse," he added. "But if I take Soobin away it won't be the same for you two," he explained with a sigh.

"I'll do my best to take care of Soobin, as will Taehyun," Heeseung reassured, earning a nod from Beomgyu as Heeseung got up and headed back to the counter to get back to work.

 

~



Taehyun let out a huff as he sat down in the chair beside Soobin's hospital bed.

"Am I gonna survive?" Asked Soobin. "I don't want to let Beomgyu continue alone," he mumbled.

"You'll be fine," reassured Taehyun. "You got approved for your surgery so," he added with a shrug.

"Do we know who the donor is?" Asked Soobin.

"They decided to remain anonymous," responded Taehyun as his tablet pinged, causing him to grab it and tap the screen a couple times before reading the message.

"Who was that?" Asked Soobin as Taehyun typed up a reply before pressing send.

"It was Heeseung, his shift is done so Sunghoon's bringing him over," responded Taehyun as he nodded.

"Does Beomgyu hate me?" Asked Soobin. "It's just- he hasn't visited me since I ended up in the hospital again," he mumbled when Taehyun looked up at him in question.

"Beomgyu's just been busy, school, things with Dann, the like," hummed Taehyun as he shook his head. "I'm sure he'll be around when he can," he added. "Yeonjun was the same way remember? He's around more now because Ivan doesn't need him at the moment," he explained.

"I can't imagine what I'm doing to him," sighed Soobin as he looked down at his hands. "I just want him to know that I'll be better soon," he added.

"I'm sure he has an idea," reassured Taehyun. "You know how he is though, he tends to not show up for a few days before coming around when you really need him," he added. Soobin hummed in response.

 

~



A few days later came the day of Soobin's surgery. Beomgyu had successfully avoided seeing Soobin before then so that the curse wouldn't activate early. He walked into the observation room, dressed in a gown and ready for what was to come.

The doctor was already working on Soobin, preparing him and Beomgyu was left to prepare himself for what was to come. After being told to head on in Beomgyu headed into the operating room and went to lay down on the operating room table, taking a steady breath to calm his nerves.

Beomgyu laid on the operating room table, looking up at the ceiling as the doctors moved around to prepare this surgery. Soobin was unconscious beside him and Beomgyu reached out a hand to hold onto Soobin's before the doctor put the mask on his face. It was the last thing Beomgyu felt before he passed out.

 

~



When Soobin woke up again it was several days after the surgery, and for the first time in a long time he felt... Alive. He wasn't sure what to call what he felt now, but he knew one thing. It had been successful. He looked around the room, seeing Taehyun asleep in a chair next to his bed, half his body practically on the bed as he used his arms as a pillow.

"T-Taehyun," whispered Soobin as he reached out and gently shook Taehyun awake, a feeling of deja vu overcoming him as he waited on Taehyun to wake up.

Taehyun jolted, sitting up immediately in surprise before turning to Soobin. "You're awake!" He exclaimed as he got to his feet. "I'm going to get a nurse okay? Don't try to talk," he demanded, waiting until Soobin nodded before leaving the room to get the nurse.

Soobin was left to look around the room again, seeing flowers from who he assumed were his parents and a teddy bear with a get well card sitting on the table near his bed. He knew that the plushie had to have come from Kai, as Kai did have a small plushie collection and he didn't give any of them to just anyone. The card, Soobin just assumed had all the signatures of his friends and classmates.

When Taehyun came back with the nurse it was to Soobin wondering where Beomgyu was, though his thoughts were interrupted when the nurse checked on his bandages and removed the oxygen mask from Soobin's face only to replace it with a nasal cannula to supply oxygen.

"B-Beomgyu?" Asked Soobin, his voice sounding strained as he coughed, covering his mouth with his arm.

"Ah..." Mumbled Taehyun as he looked down at his feet. "He- he told me to hand you this," he explained, walking over to another table and grabbing a tablet before returning with it and handing it to Soobin. "He's-," he muttered, sitting down in the chair again as Soobin tapped the screen to wake it up before blinking as a video started playing.