2022

Touch My Heart

Winter never liked the sound of a siren. She always knew that hearing such sound only means one thing. 

A catastrophe. 

So, hearing and seeing a police car in front of their home scared her. 

Bumaba sila agad ni Karina sa kotse at tumakbo papunta sa mga pulis.

"What happened?" She asked. Hinanap niya agad si Darcy. 

She saw her kid scared on the corner. Her eyes and body shook from fear and shock. 

"Tumawag po kasi yung bata. May intruder daw po sa bahay ninyo." Sabi ng police officer. Lumapit agad si Winter kay Darcy. 

She hugged the young girl tightly. Her phobia be damned. This kid is her daughter, and her daughter is scared as . 

"Mo-mommy," gulat na sabi ni Darcy. Natigilan din si Karina at napatingin sa mag-ina niya. 

Winter hugged Darcy? And not for a brief moment, but for a long time. 

"Are you okay? Nahuli ba nila yung intruder? Tinawag mo ba agad sila Manang? May masakit ba sayo?" Nag-aalalang tanong ni Winter.

Darcy suddenly sobbed. And the tears started falling. Winter hugged her again. 

"Why are you crying baby? May ginawa ba sayo yung namasok ng bahay? Mommy's here." Bulong ni Winter.

She was all alone when her mother died. The least she can do is to be there for her daughter. Her phobia be damned. Darcy is scared.

And she is more scared that her daughter will feel alone, than her memories acting up. 

"Yo-you're hug-hugging me," sabi ni Darcy habang umiiyak. Winter melted. She doesn't want to feel the overwhelming emotion of hugging her daughter for the first time. She needs to be strong for Darcy, and Karina. 

"Winter." Napatayo si Winter. Hawak niya pa rin si Darcy. It feels great. Walang bumalik na mga hindi magandang memorya. It feels natural. 

"Father," bati ni Winter at itinago si Darcy sa likod niya. Lumapit din sakanila si Karina at tumabi kay Winter. 

"Who's the kid? What is she doing in my house?" Tanong ng tatay niya. Winter cleared . 

"Mom, he's the intruder," bulong ni Darcy habang nakayakap sa bewang ni Winter. 

"Karina, can you tell the police that we know the person?" Tanong ni Winter. Karina nodded her head without saying anything. 

"Let's talk inside, Dad." Binuhat ni Winter si Darcy. They can talk about this later, for now, she needs to talk to her father.

"You did a great job, baby. Go to your room muna. Let Mommy  and Mama handle this, yes?" She kissed Darcy's forehead. Darcy runs to her room without looking back. Winter smiled. Good girl. 

Hinintay ni Winter na pumasok si Karina sa loob at umupo sa tabi niya. 

"Dad, this is my girlfriend. Karina, this is my father, Adam." Sabi ni Winter at itinuro si Karina. She saw them shaking hands, Karina holding her father's hand a little bit tighter. 

"Pleasure to meet you, Karina." 

"The pleasure is all mine." The taller girl said, her voice laced with sarcasm.

"And why didn't you introduce her to me as soon as possible?" Tanong ni Adam. Karina smirked. Bakit naman siya iinvolve ni Winter sa buhay niya?

"Recently lang po kami. Anyway, what are you doing here?" Tanong ni Winter. Adam crossed his legs and stared at the two women in front of him.

"This is my house. Imagine my surprise when the police suddenly came knocking on my door." 

Winter smiled sadly. It's just how it is. Her father claimed everything for himself. Everything is an object in his eyes. People are just objects.

"Sorry about that. My daughter did not know you, and I don't even know that you'll come here." Biglang sabi ni Winter. Everything about them is civil. 

At least, her father did not know that she knows everything. Baka ano pang mangyari sakanya. 

"You have a daughter? Ano pa ba ang hindi ko alam sa anak ko?" Her father asked sarcastically. Karina rolled her eyes in her mind. Mga lalaki nga naman. Lalaki moments. 

"Well, this is my home now, Dad. Is it okay if you just stay for dinner but stay sa iba mong bahay after? I am afraid that my daughter and girlfriend would not be comfortable with you around," sabi ni Winter at ngumiti. She doesn't like seeing her father. 

"Of course, anak. You know, I am really proud of you. Sobrang responsible mo. I knew that I raised you right." Biglang tumayo si Karina at sinuntok si Adam sa mukha.

The guy scoffed while wiping the blood from his lower lip. 

"Karina!" Sigaw ni Winter at napatayo sa gulat. But she feels satisfied. The punch is not enough for what he did, but it's a start. 

"What the is that for, young lady?" Tanong ni Adam. His eyes are cold and deadly. 

"Baka kasi deserve mo ng suntok, Adam." She said. 

Uminit lang ang ulo niya sa sinabi ni Adam. How dare him tell his daughter that he raised her right? Eh hindi niya nga nagawang umuwi sa graduation ng anak niya. Iba pa ang ginawa niyang pang-aabuso sa nanay ni Winter.