2022

Touch My Heart

Everything happened so fast. Hindi alam ni Winter kung bakit nakaupo na siya sa may auditorium ng school, sa tabi ni Karina. 

"Psst, tungkol saan ba yung play?" She asked. Karina looked at  her with a raised brow. 

"Basta! Watch ka na lang kasi, Winter! It'll be fun." She said while smirking. Winter shrugged.

"Kapag nabored ako, you owe me dinner ha?" 

"Please. I'll take you out for dinner kahit kailan mo gusto." Winter smiled before looking at the stage. Ayaw naman niyang makita ni Karina ang namumula niyang mukha. 

Parang tanga naman si Karina. Sobrang friendly, baka mamaya mamisinterpret na ni Winter yung friendliness niya. 

"We're starting in 5 minutes. Please refrain from making unnecessary noises, and bring your trash with you after the show." Some students announced. Winter shrugged. Nasa may padulo na sila nakaupo ni Karina. 

They have reserved seats in the front row, but they cannot talk if they were there. So, they decided to just sit in the back, with the students. Hindi naman sa pagyayabang, pero they still look like teenagers. 

After 5 minutes, nagsimula ng tumunog ang live band. Lumabas na ang mga characters sa scene 1. 

Winter's eyes widened when she saw a familiar face.

"IS THAT MY BABY?!" Malakas niyang tanong. Pinagtinginan naman sila ng mga students na malapit sakanila. Karina chuckled. 

"You have a loud voice," she said. Winter looked at her, eyes still wide open.

"Is that our baby?" She asked again. It's quieter than the last one. 

Dahil nga naging busy si Winter sa mga tournaments, hindi na siya masyadong updated sa buhay ng naging anak-anakan nila ni Karina noong fourth year high school. She tried to visit the kid, but they said that somebody adopted her already. 

"Well, technically, she's MY baby now." Nakangiting sabi ni Karina. 

"Shut up!" Hindi makapaniwalang sabi ni Winter. Naunahan pala siya ng crush niya. 

"Why is she here? Hindi ba kaka-10 years old pa lang niya last month?" Winter asked curiously. Karina hummed as she watched her daughter singing and acting on the stage. It was a sudden decision. She's still on her way to Med School, but she decided to finally adopt the kid.

"What can I say, ex-wifey? She's a genius, like her Mama Rina." Karina said proudly and pointed at herself. Winter blinked her eyes. But she wants to be Darcy's mother too.

"So, you're a single mother?" They watched Darcy move gracefully on stage. Winter misses her so much. 

"No, not really. I mean, yes, I was." Kumunot naman ang noo ni Winter. Ano bang ibig sabihin ni Karina? She's kind of confusing in many ways. 

"I don't understand. You're married?" Gulat na tanong ni Winter. Bigla namang tumawa nang malakas si Karina. 

"God, no! When I adopted her last year, I promised that you'll be her mother. So, I guess we have a daughter together?" Karina said with a huge grin plastered on her face. Winter frowned. 

"You did this without asking me?" She asked. Hindi siya galit. She just thought that if someone wants to adopt another living person with another person, then both of them should be informed. Why isn't she informed about this? 

"Are you mad? I'm sorry, Win. I just want to fulfill our promise. I am sorry if this is not your plan. I can talk to some lawyers, and ask them to remove your name." Karina said. She looks worried and sad. Winter shook her head and hands. Payag ka non? Naging nanay ka ng anak ng crush mo, pero hindi kayo. Syempre, si Winter payag siya.

"Oh no. I was just asking. Don't worry, Rina. It'll be an honor to raise Darcy with you." Nakangiting sabi ni Winter. 

"Thank you! Darcy would be so thrilled when she heard the news!" Excited na sabi ni Karina at tumayo. Napatingin naman sakanya si Winter.

"Huy, bakit ka tumayo?" Taong ni Winter at hinila nang marahan ang flannel na suot ni Karina. The taller girl smirked. 

"Tapos na yung play, Win. Ayaw mo ba batiin ng congratulation yung anak natin?" Karina asked. Winter blinked. 

"O-oh." She stood up and started walking with Karina.

"Karina. Can I ask you something?" Winter asked. They stopped walking in the middle of the auditorium. Napakadramatic naman ng pagtigil nila. Pinagtitinginan na naman sila. Normal na ba na maraming nanonood sakanila?

"What is it?" Tanong ni Karina. 

"Bakit ako? Why did you decide to adopt Darcy with me? I mean, na kasama ako?" Nagtatakang tanong ni Winter. Everything around them slowed down. Winter cannot hear anything but her heartbeats. She's nervous. Maybe, she is expecting an answer that Karina wouldn't give her. Maybe, she is happy that at least, she'll be part of Karina's life forever. 

"I've told you this before, and I am telling this to you again, I would never have a family if it's not with you and Darcy." Winter wanted to scream. She wanted to cheer. But then, she suddenly realized that this is just Karina. 

The same Karina who she had a crush on all of her teenage years, and maybe her adult life. This is the same Karina who is always thoughtful with everyone. 

"What? Why me?" Winter asked. Karina shrugged.

"Because it's you." 


 

[parang naging crack na to amp]