2022

Touch My Heart

Karina is a light sleeper. So, naturally, she woke up when she heard rustling in their tent. She sat down and realized that Winter is not on her spot, or in the tent for that matter. 

She stood up to look for Winter. Because who else would look after her?

Sa totoo lang, Winter is special to her. She treated her differently. Not like a friend, and definitely more than a sister.

She likes Winter. It developed during the two years they were together in high school, and Winter leaving the country did not help at all. She studied hard to maybe forget about the longing she felt towards Winter. And now that she's back, well, wala pa rin namang nagbabago. She's still afraid.

"Win? Bakit ka lumabas?" Inaantok na tanong niya. Kinusot niya ang mata niya bago tingnan si Winter.

The slightly younger girl of the two looks uncomfortable. She's sitting on a log, her legs crossed. 

"Naiihi kasi ako. Pero occupied yung mga comfort room na ginawa nila kanina," sabi ni Winter. Karina chuckled. This is a very Winter thing to do. 

"Wait here. I'll ask them," bago pa makasagot si Winter ay kinakatok na ni Karina ang pinto ng ginawa nilang cr kanina. 

"Matagal pa po ba kayo diyan?" She asked. 

"Uh, oo e! Kapapasok ko lang kasi." Sabi ng tao sa loob. Karina scratched her nape. 

"Okay po, thank you." The taller girl said and proceeded on the next door. She did the same, but to her disappointment, matatagalan din ang nasa loob. 

She went back to Winter and sighed. She shrugged and smiled apologetically. 

"Kapapasok lang daw nila. Kaya mo bang tiisin?"

Winter shook her head. Kanina pa kasi siyang naiihi. Toxic trait niya yung akala niya kaya noyang pigilin hanggang kinabukasan. 

Karina chuckled.

"Let's go? Samahan kita doon sa may malayong part, you can pee on the grass." Sabi ni Karina at ngumiti. Winter looked at her with disbelief. 

"No. I would rather sit here and wait for them," the shorter girl said stubbornly. Karina raised both of her arms.

"Nagsuggest lang ako. Ikaw pa rin ang boss." 

It's ironic. Karina was raised to always speak her mind, and tell everyone her opinion and feelings. But why does she always get her tongue-tied whenever it's Winter? 

Umupo siya sa tabi ni Winter. She maintained their usual distance. Hindi niya alam kung bakit ayaw magpalapit ni Winter, but she did not bother to ask. Kung gusto naman ni Winter na sabihin sakanya, sasabihin niya. She's not the type to force it out of the person. But it's not rocket science. She thinks she knew, but she does not want to assume. 

Halos 15 minutes na silang nakaupo pero wala pa ring lumalabas sa banyo. Karina stared at Winter. Chinecheck nya lang kung kaya pa ba ng urinary bladder ni Winter. 

", I can't wait. C-can you c-come with me?" Nauna ng tumayo si Karina. Pinagpagan niya ang suot niyang pajamas at ngumiti. 

"It took so long, Win. Tara na," naglakad sila palayo sa tents. After sensing that they are far enough, Karina stopped.

"Here. Tatalikod ako, tell me if you need anything," Karina smirked. Winter blushed when. Is she really going to pee behind Karina? Humanap siya ng puno.

"Can you talk loudly, please? Nahihiya ako," sabi ni Winter. Karina chuckled. Inilagay niya ang kamay niya sa bulsa niya.

"Alam mo ba, binigyan ko ng second name si Darcy."

"Lo-louder please!" Winter said and eased behind the tree. 

"So I gave our daughter a second name! Are you curious about it?" Tanong ni Karina. 

"What second name? Ano na bang pangalan ng baby ko?" Tumayo si Winter. She sighed. First time niyang umihi sa gubat, sa likod pa ng crush niya. 

"Her name's Darcy Meraki Kim-Yu. I wanted her to have your surname too!" Sabi ni Karina. She sighed. Sana all baby ni Winter. 

But good for her, mas gusto niyang may binebaby. So Winter can be her baby instead. 

"Meraki? Isn't that a Greek word?" Iniabot ni Karina ang sanitizer kay Winter. She giggled.

"It is! I really like the word kasi. It does not have a specific translation in English, you know. May malalapit na translations though." 

"Really? Tell me more about it," they started walking back to the tent area. 

"Meraki means labor of love, it means to do something with pleasure. To really put oneself in a situation," Karina explained. 

Maybe it is the closest description of what she feels towards the shorter girl. Or maybe she has already put herself in this situation too deeply. 

"That really fits her. Good job, partner." Karina wanted to roll her eyes. Partner lang?

"I miss Darcy so much," she said. Binuksan niya ang tent at unang pinapasok si Winter. 

Karina lie down on her side and hummed. Tumingin siya kay Winter. The latter's eyes are already closed, but Karina doubts that she's sleeping already.

"Good night, wifey," Karina whispered before closing her own eyes. 

 

 

[pababa na ata tau sa angst, eme lang, fluff lang tau dito]