2022

Touch My Heart

Winter shuddered when she felt the same warm and gentle arms that held her seven years ago. She missed the warmth. but not the feelings afterward. 

She stepped back, a lot of steps back. 

"So-sorry." Sabi ni Karina. Her hands are shaking, like Winter. 

They are shaking for two different reasons. Nanginginig sa takot at kaba si Winter. Karina shakes because she misses the shorter girl's warmth against hers. She wanted to feel it again, and again, and again. She wanted to hug her, hold her arms, and put her arms around the shorter girl. She wanted to do a lot of things, but she can't do it. Not when Winter reacts like this, not when Winter is afraid of touching. 

"I-i-i-it-it's okay,"  nanginginig na sabi ni Winter. She tried to calm herself down. Stop the thoughts. Stop the memories from replaying. 

It is overwhelming. She is in the middle of nowhere, she does not know how to go home. She needs to stay. Try to calm herself and go back home with Karina.

She needs to stop feeling everything she is feeling right now. 

"I-I-I'm so-so-sor-sorry!" Sigaw ni Winter bago tumakbo pababa. Sinundan siya agad ni Karina. She needs to make sure that Winter got home safely. Kahit na hindi na siya kasama. She can figure this out on her own. But Winter, with the meltdown, with the overwhelmed feelings, with anxiety, cannot. 

Nakababa sila ng bundok nang pawisan at hinihingal. Mukha silang hinahabol. Karina sighed heavily as she looked at Winter. The girl is still shaking, her eyes looking far away.

"Can I at least hail you a cab?" Tanong ni Karina habang nakatingin kay Winter. The shorter girl nodded. She doesn't have the mind and energy to respond verbally. She just can't. 

Karina remained quiet. Hindi niya alam kung anong tumatakbo sa isipan ni Winter. Hindi niya rin alam kung paano niya icocomfort si Winter. It was a new and scary experience for the both of them. Fear started creeping inside Karina. What if mawala ulit si Winter? What if this time, Winter won't come back? Paano kung ayaw na siya makita ni Winter dahil sa nangyari?

And then there's Darcy. Hindi na lang naman si Karina ang hindi babalikan ni Winter. Pati na rin ang anak nila na si Darcy. But how could Karina ask Winter something so selfish? 

After a little over 15 minutes, a cab finally stopped in front of them. Pinagbuksan ni Karina ng pinto si Winter. Isasara na sana niya nang makapasok ang dalaga, pero hinarang ni Winter ang paa niya sa pinto.

"Ge-get in. Let's go home together, Karina." 

Shock cannot even describe what she's feeling right now. 

"Okay. Pero sa passenger seat ako uupo," nakangiting sabi ni Karina. Inilagay niya ang bag niya sa tabi ni Winter bago pumasok sa passenger seat. The last thing that she wanted to do is to accidentally touch Winter.  

She told the driver Winter's address. Hapon na rin at baka gabi na sila makauwi. Bukas na lang siguro niya susunduin si Darcy kila Giselle. 

Karina stole glances at the younger girl. Her eyes are closed, but she seems uncomfortable. She feels bad. This is the first time that she felt bad for helping other people. 

Pero, it's a matter of injuries. 

"Karina," tawag ni Winter. Agad namang lumingon si Karina sakanya. 

"Why? Do you need anything?" She asked. Winter smiled a little. 

"Are you okay? I'm sorry for the way I acted kanina." She said. She's calmer now. 

Nagulat naman si Karina sa sinabi ni Winter. Bakit siya pa ang tinatanong? Winter is the one who nearly slipped, Karina even held her, despite knowing that she has haphephobia. 

"I am okay, Win. I should be the one apologizing," she mumbled. Winter chuckled dryly. 

"You just helped, Rina. I don't want to make you feel terrible for helping. I appreciate the help, it's just so sudden," paliwanag ni Winter. Umayos siya ng upo at tumingin kay Karina.

Her chocolate brown eyes stared intently into Karina's hazel eyes. They are looking at her like she is the most precious thing in the world. 

"Let's just go home, Winter." Sabi ni Karina. She smiled widely this time. They can talk about this incident later, pagkauwi nila. For now, she wants the younger girl to calm herself down. To collect her thoughts. 

"You're a great friend, Karina."

Karina felt a little pang in her heart. All this time, Winter only sees her as a great friend. Hindi ba halata ang mga hints na drinop niya? Kulang ba ang mga efforts na ginawa niya pra iparamdam kay Winter kung ano talaga ang nararamdaman niya?

Maybe this ride will give her the time she needs to rethink her decisions. Because she is not good with words. Besides, what she feels for Winter is indescribable. She cannot convey it with just words.

But clearly, she can't convey it with just acts. She needs to tell her.