2015

Touch My Heart

Graduation is like a family reunion. Most of the students' families fly back to the country just to see them march their way to the beginning of an end. To a much harder future. 

For Karina, her father flew back from Canada while her mother was from London. They flew back for their daughter. 

For Ningning, her father flew back from China, and her mother dressed so elegantly while holding her daughter's arm. 

For Giselle, her parents flew back from Japan. They even came with Giselle's grandparents. 

But for Winter? No one was there. She was alone in the sea full of happy families. She was all alone. Her father couldn't make it. And blessed her mother's soul in heaven. 

She didn't show up in school for the last month. She asked their family doctor to give the school a medical slip. 

She's done enough with the project, at least she could graduate right now. 

Winter doesn't like to go to her graduation. Pero naisip niya na this might be the last time that she'll get to see Karina, and her other friends. Nanghihinayang din siya sa pagod niya sa high school life niya. 

Hindi sana siya pupunta dahil nakakahiyang umattend ng walang kasamang pamilya. Sure, close siya sa parents ni Ningning, pero nakakahiya naman na hihiram siya ng magulang ng iba para may kasama siya sa stage kapag tinawag ang pangalan niya. Wala siyang balak na agawan ng magulang si Ningning. 

"Winter. I missed you," sabi ni Karina. She was standing a little bit farther than usual. Siguro ay dahil na rin sa insidente na nangyari sakanila sa auditorium. 

Pagkamulat kasi ng mata ni Winter, she pushed Karina back. Malakas ang pagkakatulak niya dahil na rin narinig niya ang malakas na pagbagsak ng dalaga. Tumakbo na siya paalis, without even looking back. For a brief moment, she saw the hurt in the taller girl's eyes. And she saw the worried looks of Ningning and Giselle. 

She suffered for a month. Karina's hands are gentle and warm, and she craves it, but she doesn't crave the anxiety that it brings. Bumisita sakanya si Ningning at Giselle, minsan ay sumasama sakanila si Heeseung. But Karina did not show up. Winter wanted to see her, but she told her friends to do everything to stop her from showing up.

Because she always, always, chooses herself. She is selfish, to the point that it embarrassed her. She is selfish that she is more worried for herself than Karina. 

But she hoped that Karina would understand. 

And the taller girl standing in front of her, telling her she misses her, means that somehow, she understood. Without even asking her any questions. Parang lumuwag ang dibdib ni Winter nang kausapin siya ni Karina. 

"Rina, I just want to apologize for what happened last month. It's not my intention to push you that hard," sabi ni Winter at ngumiti. Karina shrugged nonchalantly. Her eyes are smiling with her lips. She's happy, and it made Winter happy too. Ang cute kaya ng smile ng crush niya. Kinikilig na naman tuloy siya.

"It's okay, Win. I'm much happier to see you here. Nasaan pala father mo? I wanted to introduce myself." Winter winced at the mention of her only parent. 

"He couldn't attend. May important raw kasi na business summit." She said and chuckled.

Karina muttered a low oh

"Sinong kasama mo sa stage? Marami kang matatanggap na medals, and yet no one is here?" Nagtatakang tanong ni Karina. 

The taller one is raised in a very family-oriented household. Family over everything else. And this is a weird sight to see. 

"I guess I can receive them by myself." Ngumiti si Winter para makumbinsi si Karina. She doesn't know if it's Karina she's convincing or herself.

"No! I cannot let you do that, ex-wifey. What if samahan kita sa stage? Malayo naman ang Kim sa Yu." She offered while smiling widely. 

A part of Winter hoped that Karina meant it. But a part of her always knew that the slightly older girl would do this to other people too. 

"You would do that for me?" Tanong ni Winter. Karina giggled.

"I would do everything for you, Win. I got you," she winked. 

And she didn't lie. She marched with Winter to the stage. Siya pa ang nagsabit ng medals ni Winter. She smiled proudly at the camera like she was the one who received the awards. 

Pinagtinginan sila at pinagbulungan. Some even started a rumor that they're lovers. Some thought they were cute. 

And naturally, Karina invited Winter to dinner. She made sure that she would not feel alone. She made sure that she was taken care of. She made sure that Winter felt the love. 

Maybe, their mutual pining started at the beginning of their end.  Or maybe, they are still unaware of the things they could and would do for each other. They are still unaware of the feelings that they thought are not deeper than a crush.


 

[masunurin naman ako mga beh, last na muna to tonite, mag-so so done muna ako, anyway, support nio ren yun,, siya naman iggrind ko isulat after nito]