Pause

Paboritong Sandali
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yes, thank you.” I ended the call and massaged my temple, napatingin sa ’kin si Mom. She decided to cook breakfast for us which are bacons and eggs, her usual.

 

Nakabihis na din kami ni Mommy into our uniforms, well for her, she’s going to her law firm and I’m going to school.

 

Tinignan ko si kuya Hyunjin and he raised his eyebrows at me, nasa bibig pa ang kutsara. He gave me a ‘What?’ look and I signaled him to go upstairs na agad naman niyang ginawa. I excused myself in the table and followed him.

 

“Sama ako—“

 

“Shhh!” we both shushed our brother Yeonjun and he pouted, we all let out a chuckle.

 

We went upstairs and went to his room. I closed the door, still thinking of what to say to my brother, for sure he won’t say yes to me for this one. Baka nga isumbong pa ako kay Mommy.

 

“What’s the problem, Jimin-ah? Secret mission ba ‘to?” he chuckled and seated on a swivel chair. Well, this is really a secret mission.

 

“Can you pick up my car at Revel?” I asked, both hands together and released my puppy eyes. “Yung Audi naiwan ko doon eh..”

 

“Why the Audi, little pup? What and where is Revel?” he asked which made me nervous, sana hindi magalit si kuya na nasa club ang binigay niyang sasakyan sa’kin.

 

“At BGC... A night club...” I kept my eyes looking down because I don’t want to see his reaction.

 

The last time I told him I was drunk, kasama ko sina Yeji that time and he was really mad but he assured me he wasn’t angry with me, doon lang sa ginawa ko—

 

“Fine, I’ll just search the location later. Pasalamat ka sakto din alis ko mamayang hapon. Also, promise me to never do this again.”

 

I went to his direction and hugged him, he just caressed my hair. I thanked him at binigay ang car keys, pumunta na ako sa pintuan para lumabas, he said something before my hand reached the door knob.

 

“By the way, how are you going to school now?”

 

I definitely did not think of that.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Mom, can you bring Jimin to school?” Kuya Hyunjin asked, I hope Mom won’t ask few more questions and just accompany me to school.

 

Kasalanan mo din ‘to, Jimin!

 

“Why? Where’s her car?” she asked, picking up the white cloth to her chin after finishing her food.

 

“I can drop her off sa school so I can see if she’s safe na din but where’s her car?” she asked again with a calm tone

 

“Uh... Sige ako na lang--” My kuya looked at me seeking for help to make an excuse dahil hindi naman pwedeng sabihin niyang naiwan ko ito sa isang night club at nakipaghalikan ako sa ibang tao—

 

“Dinala ko sa car wash, ‘Ma. May offer kasi dun sa lagi kong pinupuntahan for a car wash so I used Jimin’s car instead, to give it a fresh look na din.” Our brother, Yeonjun butted in and rolled his eyes, he gave us a thumbs up secretly.

 

“Oh sige. Jimin get ready, we’ll be leaving in five minutes.” My mom said and I immediately went to my room to get my stuff, kinuha ko na din ang duffle bag ko. I saw my two brothers peeking, ang hilig nila sa ganon.

 

I went to the door and opened it wide, revealing them two.

 

“You better tell me what’s up, I just saved your asses kay Mom kahit ‘di ko alam anong ganap.” kuya Yeonjun said, he looked like a kid wanting to get a candy.

 

“Our little sister just left her car at a night club and as usual, brothers to the rescue.” I just rolled my eyes at my older brother upon mentioning the ‘little sister’, hindi na ako bata! We literally looked like we’re the same age because of our heights.

 

“Yes so I’ll get going now, move out of the way!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nakatingin lang ako sa labas ng bintana. The silence was not awkward at all, it was a comfortable one. My Mom and I don’t really talk to each other that much but once we start a conversation, it goes on and on.

 

I just don’t know what to talk about and how to do a first move now.

 

“How’s your studies?” I looked at her and she did the same. Upon looking at my Mom, I can see myself in her, facial features wise. I am really a carbon copy of my Mom, I smiled.

 

“Very stressful but I guess I can manage reading all day.” I heard her chuckled, siguro she experienced my dilemma before.

 

“I know you always do great, anak.” she said and caressed my hair.

 

“Where’s your rosary ring? Kanina ko pa hindi nakikitang suot mo.”

 

I looked at my left index finger and there’s no ring, I checked my wallet but its not there as well. Maybe I left it in one of my drawers, I hope. Importante pa naman sa ’kin yun, we had that ring since we were kids.

 

“Baka nasa room ko lang, ‘Ma.”

 

We fell again in a comfortable silence, the sound coming out of the radio is keeping us company. We are near our campus so I looked for my perfume and fixed myself. Napatingin ulit ako kay Mom, halata kasing may sasabihin pa siya but I can’t ask her right away.

 

“Anak, I’m sorry about what your Dad did.” I was taken aback at what she said even if I heard sadness in her voice, it felt traumatic hearing the word ‘Dad’.

 

“He should be the one saying sorry Mom, not you.” I said with a cold tone, telling her that I won’t be moved.

 

“I know, anak. Alam mo naman si Papa mo-“

 

“Let’s not talk about this, please?” I pleaded. I saw her worried face so I just looked at the window again, suppressing my tears.

 

“I’m sorry, Jimin-ah. I’ll talk to your Dad.” she said and parked the car at a vacant location.

 

“He’s not our Dad. He’s just married to you by a paper you both signed, right?”

 

At first, taking law was not my forte but now, I had a reason. I want to defend people that should be defended, that should be taken care of. I want to protect people, something that they can’t give to me, something that I can’t give to myself.

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter