Pause

Paboritong Sandali
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Is the first day really nerve wracking?

 

Siguro dahil freshman ako. I mean, I can approach many people around the campus and talk to them to have some acquaintances but the nervousness in my body is still here. Kahit naman nung pumunta ako dito last month for my application, I had a talk with some seniors in the University.

 

They told me some basic things I need to know which I do know already since we were given a student manual. Basic things like we should wear our uniforms for the first day kahit sinabi naman na we're allowed for a week to wear casual clothes. I was surprised by that but they added that the professor might be a terror daw.

 

So now, I'm buying our uniform at our campus store since I'm free. Nag-commute lang din ako since Mom wanted me to "be independent", she said. I always question myself that why would she think riding public vehicles will make me independent.

 

I'm always alone in the house since I'm an only child but as I experienced it the reality myself, talagang mahirap pala. Siguro kasi ay hindi ako sanay kaya ganito ang reaksyon ko.

 

I looked inside and there were a lot of students doing the same as well since I saw them trying the uniforms on. Some didn't want the medium sized and was looking for specific proportions. Imposible naman sigurong maubusan ako 'no?

 

"Excuse me, I need to get in." I immediately moved to the side and looked at the source of the voice, tumingin din ito sa akin habang naglalakad at ngumiti. I saw her mouthed a small 'thank you'.

 

In fairness, ang puti niya.

 

And we're the same height!

 

Should I talk to her? I really hope we're blockmates since I'm getting that vibe that we can be friends! And on top of that, ang ganda niya din. Maybe she can play volleyball too?

 

I'm aiming to get a position in the varsity team of this campus, it's a dream to be a part of the Falcons 'no! Tsaka I might get a scholarship for two semesters too, that's a big win for me and my Mom who's been constantly telling me about it.

 

I walked and looked at the mannequins standing with the uniforms on, pasimple rin akong tumitingin sa direksyon niya, I think she's here for the same reason as mine. I noticed that her mid-length hair is two-toned, the upper part was black and the lower strands of her hair was blonde. Is that even allowed at school?

 

Mukhang hindi niya pa ata nababasa ang manual dahil ang alam ko may sinusunod kami na kulay ng buhok sa loob ng campus but the classes are not starting yet so I'll just remind her about that.

 

Oplan : Talk to her!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"You have a million-dollar car tapos hindi ka nakabili ng uniform?" I chuckled a little at my joke, looking at her parked car. It was a Black Sedan, specifically a BMW.

 

Habang nagsusukat ako kanina ay pasimple akong tumitingin sa kaniya. I can see that she's having a hard time like the other people so I suggested that she should just pick the medium sized uniform. She just responded with a stare, nod, and a smile. Oh diba? Tanda ko. Nabili ko na din yung akin after waiting, habang siya naman ay kausap ang isang matanda sa harap, I think she's an admin.

 

After all that, I approached her. She doesn't mind and even told me to switch places with her dahil nasa sidewalk daw kami at madaming kotse na nadaan, how sweet of her. I started little conversations like knowing her name, her course, and why she came empty-handed. She's just replying with a limited response, her typical stare and the smile.

 

"Ano name mo?"

 

"Uh... MJ."

 

"MJ? That's an acronym or..?"

 

"Yes."

 

"So ano nga? By the way, I'm Aeri pretty hehe."

 

"Pretty?"

 

"Tawag mo ba ako?"

 

"Hahaha. I just made the nickname now."

 

"I figured. Aeri Uchinaga, ayan."

 

"Minjeong."

 

I think I'm going too fast though, I might offend her at ayokong mangyari 'yun, not that I'm already making her talk, no! I heard her chuckle so I went back to reality. She was looking for her car keys right now.

 

"I told you, naubusan ng stock."

 

"Right, tapos malapit na mag-start classes diba?"

 

"Yes. Anyway, do you need a ride home?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

How lucky I am. She was a freshman and we're in the same course, tapos may kotse pa! Saan ka pa? She even said that I was the first person to ride in her passenger seat, kaya niya daw ako inaya ay dahil nakita niya akong bumaba ng taxi so she concluded that I don't have a ride home.

 

I really need to get a Driver's License.

 

Mabuti na lang daw at hindi ito naka-motor ngayon, mabuti nga at hindi dahil bago niya pa ako ayain ay aayaw na agad ako. I'm also trying not to laugh, she's stuttering too much kasi. I can see she's not used to interacting with other people.

 

After all that long drive from my house, I told her to go inside with me but she immediately declined. Hindi ko na ito pinilit pa dahil mukhang kapag sinabing ayaw niya, ay ayaw niya talaga. We bid our goodbyes, we exchanged numbers for the future, malapit na din kasi ang orientation sa campus.

 

I can see Mom from a distance, arms crossed, hinihintay ata ako ni Mother dahil natagalan ako sa labas. I know what she might be thinking, boys again. Well, that was a girl!

 

I told you!

 

"Young lady, who's that guy hmm?" My very nosy Mother started, natawa naman ako at napairap. "Attitude, Uchinaga."

 

"Mom, I'm going to sumbong you kay Papa." I said and went inside, I heard my mother's typical sigh and the creak of our wooden door.

 

"Aba, ang Papa mo gusto ka na nga bigyan ng boyfriend."

 

"I told you that I don't need one.. I'm aiming for the varsity spot and the flat and easy uno, I don't want any distraction." I said with decisiveness, a small chuckle echoed in our living room.

 

"Sure, so who's the guy? Ang sabi ko maging independent 'nak, baka naman kanina pa kayo magkasama?"

 

"Mom, you are so... Okay first, we just met. Second, she insisted to drove me home, it's her idea! Third,  can't I have friends without you overthinking?!"

 

I saw my Mom's shocked faced but later changed with a grin. Nagulat din ako dahil napakadami kong sinabi. My Mom and I always have a conversation like this, I don't even know why.

 

To be honest, I always get irritated when they bring up their 'boyfriend' agenda everytime. I'm too young for that and again, ayoko ng distraction. I've read to many articles that having a boyfriend will just give stress and I don't want that.

 

Ako lang ba yung ganoon?

 

Baka ako lang, well I have reasons and standards too. Dapat gwapo, mabango, grade conscious, matalino, athletic, lahat na ng green flag sa mundo dapat meron si the one! Pero saan ba makikita? Sa univeristy ko ba? O baka naman sa kabilang campus, hmm.

 

"After your studies, we're going straight to Japan." I heard my Mother spoke, I didn't react and she saw my blank face. "That's our home, Aeri."

 

"I know but this is our home too, 'Ma." I calmy answered back, ponting at our floor.

 

I didn't argue anymore and went upstairs, straight to my room. Living outside the country was only a dream in my mind that I had at the airport while waiting for departure. After years, I just wished I never left home. That's why I continued my studies here, kaso ang hirap pilitin nila Mom at Dad noon!

 

The senior high school curriculum, which I don't know how it works at first. Kailangan lang talaga maging masipag at... Pabibo, kidding!

 

It was hard, yes. Lalo na't hindi pa ako sanay sa wika nila, they tease me that I'm too conyo raw pero bagay naman daw sa akin dahil maganda raw ako.

 

Naisip ko nga na what if I'm ugly, I might experience bullying, I'm glad they were all kind to everyone despite our differences. All the moments I had in school, from first day of classes, to school election's and fairs, team buildings, all of it was chef's kiss.

 

Still, I feel anxious. College is a new journey to take and I'm just hoping for the better.

 

I hope I'm choosing the right path.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Gigi? Ang tagal mo!" I heard my bestfriend shouted outside the fitting room. 

 

"Ikalma mo!" I shouted back, my eyes are still fixed in the mirror. I am now in the first clothes I wore and opened the door. 

 

We're currently at SM City Manila buying branded clothes, hindi nga pala siya interesado bumili at sasama na lang daw so ako lang itong nagastos ngayon.

 

I promised this little one that I will buy for her, but she's not even choosing anything! Palinga-linga lamang ito sa mga stools tapos susunod lang sa akin pagkatapos.

 

"Tara na, let's pay for that at iuuwi na kita." she said and held the basket in my hands, agad ko naman siyang pinigilan which earned me a confused stare from her.

 

"Let's take a picture naman!" I said and I saw her eyes roll. Hinampas ko ang balikat niya at inayos na lang ang buhok ko, she's fixing herself din naman tapos parang nagrereklamo pa.

 

I looked at her outfit from head to toe, a bucket hat, a customized white shirt, black baggy pants, and black converse shoes. Really simple but she brings her charisma out, I really find her attractive with her clothing.

 

"You really like boyish clothing." I commented, she went inside the fitting room and sat on the chair. Ako dapat uupo eh!

 

"What? Pose now."

 

"Wow, Minjeong's going to take... a picture?"

 

I chuckled and looked in the mirror in front of us. Sinabi niya na bilisan daw namin dahil baka mapagalitan kami, marami na din kasing shoppers right now dahil Sabado.

 

After the click sound, she stood up and scanned the image. Titingin sana ako pero hinarangan niya ang screen, hinampas ko siya ng malakas. She caressed her shoulder and told me that she's going to send it daw naman, bakit ba kasi may pagtago pa Minjeong? Annoying!

 

"Don't post it, okay?"

 

"Oo na! Private person ka na, tss."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter