Not Your Ordinary Tradition

Second Chance

 

Shin Hye’s POV

Time for their Home Room class—it was the time when the class will talk about different school matters. Their adviser walked excitedly to the room. It was Yoon-sonssaengnim, their math teacher and adviser.

“As advisers, we have a responsibility to you, second year students, or juniors, to get you prepared for your duties as future seniors…”

“I know where this is heading. I’m really excited!” Min Ah whispered to me, aloud.

“Ehem, Min Ah. Shut up for a moment.” The teacher heard her and looked at her with eyebrows raised.

“As I was saying, you have to get a glimpse of what it’s like to be a senior, to get to know them. It has been a tradition of our school to let you meet your sunbaes formally, which is popularly known as… PROM.”

“I knew it!” Min Ah can’t help herself but blurt it out loud. The other girls were screaming, as if a celebrity is coming in.

I just sat there, quietly. I was thinking if someone will ask me. I’m not sure anymore. Ever since Yong Hwa came, not even a single guy confessed their feelings to me anymore. I wonder if he will ask me. Aniyo. It will only cause us trouble, an annoyance. While my mind is flying somewhere very far, until Min Ah hit me with her elbows.

“Ya Shin Hye! If you’re worrying that no one will ask you… C’mon! That’s totally impossible! You are the academic goddess, remember? Besides, Yong Hwa is there. I’m sure he’ll ask you out.”

She really knew me. Min Ah can even read my mind. I snapped at her, trying to distract her.

“Ya! How about you? Seung Gi-ssi isn’t here to go out with you.”

“Who says I can’t go to the party without him? He is such an understanding guy. He will not feel like that.”

The teacher once again called the attention of the class to listen to her announcement first.

“For this year’s theme, We are going to have King and Queen of Hearts. Everything is already set. The party will be in two weeks.”

“What? Two weeks!? How am I supposed to prepare in two weeks? It’s too short a time.” you said with a worried look.

“That’s not my problem anymore, dear. Aside from that, you are not gonna be the one to choose your own date.”

“What the?! Maldo Andwae!” Everyone was shocked to hear about this. I guess I would never have the chance to date him.

“Wait! I’m not yet done talking. To add more spice to the celebration, we will be giving you a piece of half-heart on the night of the party. You are going to look for the one that fits for the other half. He/she will be your date that night. They can be anyone; a senior football player, or even your seatmate.”

Yong Hwa and I gazed at each other for a split-second. Unfortunately for us, nosy Min Ah was able to notice it.

“Omo! I guess Yong Hwa and Shin Hye still have the chance! Kekeke.”

“Will you keep quiet first Min Ah! Yoon-sonssaengnim isn’t done explaining yet.”

I was quite irritated because she won’t let through with Yong Hwa and I, even those tiniest gestures.

“Also, I and other teachers will be judging you for different awards. Best Dressed Award, for example.”

“That would definitely be me.” Jung Shin said with confidence.

“We’ll see, Jung Shin.” The teacher was amused by his acts.

“We will not only be judging individuals but couples too.”

Everyone was looking in our side. They are grinning at us, Yong Hwa and me. I couldn’t believe Min Ah got the class to join forces with her in teasing us. Yong Hwa is just sitting there, silently. He must be thinking of many things.

End of POV

***

Yong Hwa’s POV

How am I gonna ask her out, if we are not even allowed to choose for our dates? Aish! This is ridiculous!

I glanced at her to check if she’s fine. I’m still kinda worried that her hiccups will come back. It didn’t.

I looked at my friends at the back but I guess they are busy discussing what to wear for the prom.

How could I be like this? But, she’s just too perfect. How could I do that? Be a man, Yong Hwa-ya! Tsk. I better tell her as soon as possible before someone else will tell her first, everything.

Should I stand up for whom I like? But a promise is a promise. They will be hurt… I’m confused.

What should I do? Shin Hye-ya, it seems that I have really come to like you and that means… trouble. Real trouble.

End of POV