Her Past Versus Her Present

Second Chance

 

Two weeks passed in a blink of an eye. It was already the night of the prom. Shin Hye was wearing a strapless flowing blue long gown. Her light make up is enough to make her face glow. She looked really sophisticated—high-class. Min Ah was wearing a fitted evening dress that shows off her curves. She put a striking red lipstick up that matches her gown. She is the edgy type. They dressed differently yet they both looked totally gorgeous. They are like mythical Greek goddesses who descended from Mount Olympus: Shin Hye was Athena, the goddess of wisdom while Min Ah was Aphrodite, the goddess of love, or should I say, the matchmaker.

            

 

 

They held it in a ball room in a fancy five-star hotel. The place looks really classy as if there is a sign that says “Ugly people aren’t allowed” at the entrance. It’s obvious that everyone made an effort to make themselves noticeable. However, Shin Hye stands out from the crowd, of course. As she walked in the red carpet, everyone’s eyes are on her, but she’s looking only at one man. It was Yong Hwa. They just smiled at each other. Before Yong Hwa could walk towards her, you went to talk to Shin Hye.

 

“Shin Hye-ya! You’re really our goddess! You really are incomparable! You too, Min Ah!”

“Ah. Gomawo. You looked absolutely stunning too, you .” Shin Hye said but her attention is not on you . She was looking for someone.

Min Ah noticed it but kept shut. She knew Shin Hye needed a break. Everyone was teasing her and Yong Hwa for two weeks nonstop. She brought you on the chocolate fountain to leave Shin Hye alone in their table. Both of them were happily eating mallows dipped with luscious chocolate.

Shin Hye’s POV

I’m here alone. I wonder where he is right now. Aish! Why do I even bother? Am I really developing a crush over him? Andwae. Maybe it’s because we are just being teased by me. But, he really looked handsome in his tux. His ruffled hair made him looked more eye-catching. Forget it. Don’t I look beautiful tonight? I guess I’m going to be a wallflower tonight. Well, not until someone told me,

“Shin Hye-ya, you looked really… stunning tonight.”

I looked at who said that. It was a man’s voice. I was hoping it was him. I was wrong. But I felt a tinge of electricity in my body.

“Uhmm…Gamsa Dong Hae oppa! You look totally rocking!”

 

 

“You still sound cute everytime you say oppa. It’s been a while since we had a conversation. I missed talking to you, Shin Hye-ya!” He said while he held my hand and planted a kiss on it. He didn’t let go of my hand after that. He continued it with his.

His name is Lee Dong Hae. He is a senior and Seung Gi-ssi’s cousin. He’s my long time secret crush but I decided to forget my feelings for him when he went to America three years ago to stay there for two years. I believe so. He is now back here in Korea in his senior year. He is the campus heartthrob. We used to be teased as the campus couple because we go out together with Min Ah and Seung Gi. We don’t want to be annoyed so we told them we just treat each other as siblings.

I felt awkward while talking to him. I don’t know why. Is it because I still have feelings for him or is it because I felt someone was watching us not from a far? I can feel a pair of eyes is boring into my soul.

End of POV

Yong Hwa’s POV

I wonder who that guy is. I was just a couple of meters away from them but I can undoubtedly tell he is talking sweetly to her. He even touched and kissed her hand. He is definitely hitting on her. I bet they are already close even before I came in her life. Aish! I gotta do something. I have to.

 “You look troubled Yong… Aha! I guess it’s because of Lee Dong Hae sunbae, the campus heartthrob! You’re jealous, right?” Min Hyuk guessed it right. Am I really that obvious?

“Shin Hye even calls him oppa. They were really close even before we became classmates. There were rumors before that he and Shin Hye used to go out together but they told everyone they are just like having a brother-sister relationship, nothing more than that. To cool down the issue, they hadn’t talked to each other for a long time.”

I didn’t know that Jung Shin is a gossipmonger. I looked at them, trying to act as normal as possible. I was looking for signs of jealousy in them also but I failed to see one in their faces.

“If you are worrying about us Yong Hwa-ya, no need. Don’t mind us. We’ll be fine.” Jong Hyun can really read my mind.

“But… what about our…”

“Forget it Yong. You’re our friend so we will be happy for you and support you even though we liked the same girl. We’re going to be ok. We are moving on. It’s hard but I know we can.”

I can’t believe the funny Min Hyuk can be as serious as that. I was touched by his words.

“What are you waiting for? Go to her! She might be snatched away by someone else.”

Jung Shin told me with wrinkled look and then smiled. They are really my true friends.

Without thinking twice, I went straight to her and greeted the both of them. I tried to sound as cheerfully as possible.

“Annyeong Shin Hye-ya!” Annyeong sunbae! Jung Yong Hwa-imnida!”

“Ah… Annyeong!” Shin Hye said timidly.

“Annyeong! Lee Dong Hae-imnida! You must be the transferee teased with Shin Hye! Kekeke. You’re not bad at all.”

I’m pretty sure Shin Hye felt uncomfortable after my presence. And that Dong Hae-ssi? He’s too straightforward. He’s absolutely right. I’m not just bad, I am also good-looking and smart enough to be Shin Hye’s date for tonight. Aish! Who does he think he is? I will let it pass for now. I don’t want to be rude in front of her. I’m still trying to sound nicely as possible.

“Shin Hye-ya! Do you already have your half heart?”

“Ah, ne.”

Good. Our classmates are now looking at us. I can hear a lot of chatters. I can clearly hear you and Min Ah’s conversation. If mine doesn’t fit hers, I’m doomed. Big time.

End of POV

 

“Omo! Is that Dong Hae sunbae? The campus heartthrob and Shin Hye’s rumoured boyfriend?” you felt more giddy.

“This is interesting! I wonder who’s gonna fit for her heart!” Min Ah said to you .

“I bet it’s Yong Hwa! It has to be him! They are sooo cute together!” you added.

“But Shin Hye-ya has a secret crush on Dong Hae before.” you 's eyes widened.

“Uh-oh. I bet it’s not a secret anymore.” Min Ah covered . She just spilled the beans on you .