Of Burning Cheeks and Hiccups

Second Chance

 

Lunch Time. Good thing Yong Hwa wasn’t there to hear their conversation because he went to the restroom. To stop Min Ah from teasing her, she just buried her face with her arms on her desk. She pretended that she’s making some sobs. Min Ah tapped her shoulder.

“Shin Hye-ya! Gwaenchasumnikka?... Shin Hye-ya, mianhae. I’ll stop now.”

She remained silent. She didn’t move. Someone tapped her shoulder. She felt strange. She looked up to check if Min Ah did stop. She did. But it was not her hand that tapped her. It was Yong Hwa.

“Gwaenchasumnikka, Shin Hye-ya? Aren’t you feeling well?”

He touched her forehead, then her cheeks. It was burning. She was startled. It was a sign for him to remove his hands.

“Uhm… Gwaenchanha. Min Ah and I are just fooling around…”

“Are you sure? Your cheeks are… hot.”

She suddenly hiccupped. She didn’t know why did that happened. The three of them were in total surprise. Min Ah’s eyes grew wide and grinned. She has this light bulb *ting* on her head.

“I’m afraid she’s sick, Yong Hwa-ya. She’s acting strange, lately. Can you accompany her to the clinic?”

Shin Hye became even more shocked when she heard that from her friend. She knew Min Ah was up for something and she had a feeling that she doesn’t like it.

“MWO? Andwae! I’m perfectly fine! No need! Hick!”

She had another hiccup.

“Min Ah’s right. I insist.”

“It’s ok. I will just go with Min Ah. Sorry for bothering you.”

She’s not looking at Yong Hwa. She was giving Min Ah her darting looks. Min Ah was quite scared, but she didn’t mind because she felt giddy more.

“What if you collapse in the corridor while we are on our way? I’m afraid I can’t carry you Shin Hye-ya. I’m too weak to do that…”

Not she was only faking she was weak physically, she also did that while talking, as if her voice is about to fade. Shin Hye left open for she can’t think of excuses anymore.

“She’s right, Shin Hye. I’ll take you myself.”

Before she could argue, he carried her, princess-style. She can smell his perfume. It’s as if it has become her brand of heroin. She felt high. She wasn’t able to answer anymore.

The whole class was looking at them charmingly. Min Ah sat to the teacher’s table as if holding a meeting for their fan club.

“So, what do you think of them?”

“Yong Hwa is such a gentleman. It’s as if I was watching a fairytale. Shin Hye is theprincess and Yong Hwa is her knight in shining armor!” One of her classmates said.

“They look perfect for each other.” you said.

“Looks like someone already captured the princess’ heart!”

Jung Shin just smirked after hearing the discussion of the class.

***

In the clinic, the nurse was shocked to see a guy carrying a girl like it was their first day as newlyweds. She assisted him while he carefully placed Shin Hye on the bed. The nurse checked her legs then her feet.

“What happened? She doesn’t seem to have fractured her ankle for you to carry her like that.”

Yong Hwa put his right hand on his nape and smiled. He knew the nurse was asking for an explanation.

“Ah, ani. I’m afraid she might collapse while walking here so I carried her in my arms. Her cheeks are burning and she had hiccups earlier.”

She got her stethoscope and checked Shin Hye’s breathing and heartbeat. She gave her a meaningful smile.

“She’s perfectly fine. I think it’s just because of the weather. Just drink lots of water and your hiccups will be gone. You can go back to your class now.”

The nurse winked at Shin Hye. She felt uneasy.

“Gomawo.” The two said in chorus.

Before Shin Hye closed the door, the nurse whispered,

“It’s definitely not because of the weather. It’s because you like him, isn’t it? He likes you too, I can tell. You look good together.”

She kept her guard. She didn’t know how to react normal in front of her.

“Ah, Ani. It’s not like that. Gamsahamnida!”