Love is Bittersweet

Second Chance

 

 

Literature class. Joo-sonsaengnim walked enthusiastically inside the room. As usual, she’s writing a passage from a novel on the board.

I stood there at the bottom of the steps, afraid to ask how long she had been sitting, knowing only that I had wronged her terribly.

“Jenny, I’m sorry-

“Stop!” She cut off my apology, then said very quietly,

“Love means not ever having to say you’re sorry.”

“Who among you is familiar to the novel ‘Love Story’?” Joo-sonsaengnim asked.

“It’s a 1970 novel by Erich Segal.” Min Hyuk said. Even though he is not good in Math just like Jong Hyun and Jung Shin, his forte is definitely in Literature. He loves to read.

“Daebak Min Hyuk! It’s actually about a man from a wealthy family who marries a poor girl who dies young. Now, can somebody tell me his/her reaction to this passage?” the teacher asked again.

Yong Hwa raised his hand.

“I think that the girl, Jenny, has already fallen for this guy. Because she loved her so much, she was able to forgive him even before he asked for her apology.”

“What a very good interpretation, Yong Hwa. I’m impressed.”

Shin Hye raised her hand.

“I think that the girl is too naïve when she talks about love. It’s just so unrealistic. She must have really fallen hard for that guy. Or maybe, even if she had forgiven him, but she will never forget what he did to her.”

“That’s an interesting perspective, Shin Hye. Are you saying that from your own experience? Kekeke. Just kidding.”

She was surprised to hear that from her teacher, so was Yong Hwa. He looked at her. She knew it but she didn’t look back.

“Anyway, that’s the good thing in Literature. There is no such thing as right or wrong. It all depends on the judgment of the one who reads or listens to it. For our activity for today, you are going to have your insights to this passage by performing a type of literature. I’m giving you fifteen minutes to ponder about it.”

 

After a while…

“So, who’s the first?”

No one dared to raise his/her hand. As usual, Joo-sonsaengnim called Shin Hye.

“I totally disagree by how the girl acted towards the guy. If I were her, I could’ve done a different thing. Since music is also a form of literature, I’m going to sing a song. It’s Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri.”

Good thing she had her guitar that day. She brought it because Min Ah wanted to borrow it. Everyone was excited to hear her sing, especially Yong Hwa. He remembered the moment when she sang a few lines of Enchanted during their dance at prom. He missed hearing her sweet angelic voice.

JAR OF HEARTS

I know I can't take one more step towards you
Cause all that's waiting is regret
And don't you know I'm not your ghost anymore?
You lost the love I loved the most

I learned to live, half-alive
And now you want me one more time

And who do you think you are?
Runnin' 'round leaving scars
Collecting your jar of hearts
And tearing love apart

You're gonna catch a cold
From the ice inside your soul
So don't come back for me
Who do you think you are?

I hear you're asking all around
If I am anywhere to be found
I have grown too strong
To ever fall back in your arms

I've learned to live, half-alive
Now you want me one more time

Who do you think you are?
Runnin' 'round leaving scars
Collecting your jar of hearts
And tearing love apart

You're gonna catch a cold
From the ice inside your soul
So don't come back for me
Who do you think you are?

Dear, it took so long
Just to feel alright
Remember how to put back
The light in my eyes

I wish I had missed
The first time that we kissed
'Cause you broke all your promises
And now you're back you don't get to get me back

Who do you think you are?
Runnin' 'round leaving scars
Collecting your jar of hearts
And tearing love apart

You're gonna catch a cold
From the ice inside your soul
So don't come back for me
Don't come back at all

And who do you think you are?
Runnin' 'round leaving scars
Collecting your jar of hearts
And tearing love apart

You're gonna catch a cold
From the ice inside your soul
Don't come back for me
Don't come back at all

Who do you think you are?
Who do you think you are?
Who do you think you are?

 

 

Shin Hye was singing with her heart out. She was pouring her sorrow, pain, heart, and soul into the song. She looked at him when she sang the last line…

Who do you think you are?

Yong Hwa felt a twinge in his heart. It was a confirmation to all his thoughts on her. He just sat looked at her full of regret. She was avoiding his gaze.

 

Flashback.

After the prom, Yong Hwa insisted Shin Hye in taking her home.

“Arasseo. Gomawo Yong Hwa-ya.”

They headed to his car. It was a black Mercedes SL65. He borrowed it from his dad since he is attending a special event. The driver immediately opened the door for them. They just sat silently inside. It didn’t take them long to reach her house.

“Gomawo Yong Hwa. I really had a great time tonight.” She said before she stepped out of the car.

Just as when she was about to press the door bell, Yong Hwa held her back and suddenly… he planted a kiss on her lips. Yong Hwa was shocked that she reciprocated it sweetly.

After the kiss, they both blushed. They were unable to speak. They just look at each other. Yong Hwa decided to break the ice and smiled sheepishly.

“Uh… Good night Shin Hye-ya. Mianhae... about the kiss.”

“Uh… it’s ok… Good night too Yong. Go home safely.”

It was both their first kiss.

End of Flashback.

 

Everyone felt her pain. They almost shed tears while listening. The class cheered for her.

“Omo! Shin Hye really has it all! She’s beautiful, she’s smart. She’s talented. She’s got the best of ALL worlds!” you said while clapping hands really hard.

“Impressive Shin Hye-ya! It was really soulful. Who’s next?”

She was shocked to see Yong Hwa raised his hand.

“I agree with what Shin Hye said earlier, that the girl couldn’t have forgotten what the guy has done to her. The guy must have been really lucky because the girl gave him another chance to the girl to prove his love. I thought of writing a poem on the guy’s point of view before she apologizes to the girl. It’s actually based on… my own experience too. It’s called Second Chance.”

“Sounds interesting! Let us hear it.” Joo-sonsaengnim let him recite at the front.

 

I have been away from my hometown

But I am going back, let’s start the countdown

And now I am here, I am overwhelmed

I really had no idea what to expect.

 

As soon as I land, I felt something different

A sense of something wonderful is patiently waiting.

I cannot understand this crazy feeling.

More so, I do not know where to start seeking.

 

My friends are here that must be it.

But this crazy feeling just doesn't seem to fit.

I don't really know when it started to exist.

I feel there is no room to resist.

 

Then one day, you bumped into me.

I was mesmerized and captured instantly,

Your eyes seem to say to me

Come to me, I have been waiting patiently!

 

How stupid of me, agreeing to a bet.

Playing with your heart, I knew I would regret.

But why oh why did I ever accept?

Stupid and silly games, now I am paying for it.

 

I feel so out of control and drained,

Whenever I see you hurting and in pain.

All these I caused and what did I gain?

A heartache so big, and our friendship strained.

 

I long to see and be with you once more,

I ache so much forgive me for what I have done.

I hurt the one I love, it seems now she is done.

All her care and love for me is all gone.

 

All I can do is wait and see.

This is what I get, some sort of penalty,

The hurt has to pass and just let it bleed.

Then beg for a second chance and hope that she will heed.

 

Everyone was attentively listening to it. While reciting the poem, all he thinks of is Shin Hye. She is looking at the window, trying to pretend that she’s preoccupied with something else. But deep inside, she was intently listening to it, every word.

“Aish! Yong Hwa! He’s too obvious.” Jung Shin told Jong Hyun and Min Hyuk.

“I really do hope he gets his second chance with her.” Jong Hyun hopefully said.

“We shall make that happen. It’s our fault too.” Min Hyuk said guiltily.

The class let out a big “Aww…” at the end of the poem.

“If that girl hears this right now, she’s definitely gonna give you that second chance. I can feel your sincerity.” Joo-sonsaengnim said.

 

 

Author’s Note: I know I’m such a mediocre writer. Sometimes my update is too short, and now, it’s too long. Mianhae. I thought that cutting this into two will disrupt the momentum. Please bear with it. x_x

Anyway, big big thanks to bluein-chingu for writing the poem! That’s the gift I was talking about in the past chapters. Your poem gave me a boost in writing this chapter.  :)

I hope you are still reading this. Your comments serve as my inspiration to continue writing. Have a nice day chingus!  :)