Love is?

The Fugitives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

09 | Love is?

 

 

***

 

 

Once Yoona returned to the table he shared with Seohyun, he noticed the rain pouring. He took his seat and scoffed.

 

"How long had it been raining?" he asked.

 

"Since you left to the toilet." Seohyun replied.

 

"Oh, so five minutes?"

 

She chuckled softly. "You've been gone for thirty minutes."

 

"What?" He is flustered. "That long?"

 

"What did you do there?" She teasingly asked back.

 

Yoona smiled sheepishly. "I... played some games on my phone." he confessed.

 

"What?" Seohyun dropped the fork when she heard it. "You just made me wait for that?"

 

"Well, how are we going to go home with the rain? My car is even across the road?" Yoona grinned only to receive a hit on his arm. "Ah!"

 

"Don't you know how to use an umbrella? I was thinking of that earlier. How dare you played some games." Seohyun sent him glares. She is totally disappointed.

 

"Mianhe."

 

"Tsk."

 

"You should've called me too. I mean, it's not a hard thing to do to call me out so loud from the inside."

 

She literally hit his arm again. "I swear, you're the most inconsiderate person! I could've gone home early tonight. Aish!" and attempted to hit him again but the latter immediately dodged her.

 

"Who ask you to drag me for dinner, eh?" Yoona reminded.

 

"Whatever. Let's just get going." Picking up her fork back, Seohyun took her last bite of her dessert before she get up.

 

Sighing, Yoona get up and walked with her out of the restaurant. The staff gives them one umbrella only.

 

"Wait, give me too." Yoona requested.

 

"I'm sorry, Sir but we still have customers left. Why don't you guys share the same umbrella with your girlfriend instead?" The staff suggested with a sweet smile.

 

"G-girlfriend?" exclaimed Yoona but Seohyun has stepped out of the place already. "Y-yah! Wait! Jennifer!" he hastily caught up with her. But she had to lower his head. "Um, c-can I hold the umbrella? It doesn't fit if you hold it." He requested. The rain is already wetting his back as they keep walking in the side of the road.

 

Seohyun looked up at him with a scoff. "Get it." But handed it either way.

 

"Thanks." He smiled briefly as he hold it for them. "Why do you have to wait though? You can just go home without me." He somehow doesn't think to be waited.

 

"As you said, it's raining. I don't want to go home alone. Also, it's better you drop me home." Seohyun explained softly.

 

Yoona's heart flutters. "Why? Does rain..."

 

"It's dangerous to go home when it rains."

 

"Eh? When did-"

 

"The road is slippery. I can't drive with my scooter like that and I can't trust any driver at the moment." She cut him off, glancing at him with a small smile.

 

Yoona nodded in understanding. "I see. Then who will drive your scooter?"

 

"I'll ask the owner later to pick it up." Seohyun replied instantly as they crossed the road casually. It's almost midnight and there are few vehicles on the road waiting for them to cross completely.

 

Buckling his own seatbelt, Yoona smiled and says, "Thank you for the dinner by the way. It literally made my night."

 

"You're lucky I bump into you. I haven't eaten as well." Said Seohyun as she finished buckling her seatbelt.

 

"So... where should I drive?" ask Yoona in regards to her address.

 

"Oh." Seohyun the GPS screen before them and search the street of the apartment she shared with Jessica and Tiffany. She set it as the destination and a female voice immediately ask the driver to begin their journey.

 

"Oh, that's a nice apartment. You can view River there." Yoona knew well as he started driving off.

 

"You are living in a good place too then." Seohyun wasn't surprised.

 

"Not quiet. I'm living in my Grandpa's house."

 

"I know, because your parents divorced." She remembers what he shared back on their first date.

 

Yoona chuckled softly. "You don't forget stuff, eh?"

 

"I tend to forget too when it's a small detail."

 

He smiled as he nodded gently.

 

"Spring Rain." Seohyun mumbles as she throws her head back while watching the rain still pouring but not hard anymore.

 

"It doesn't rain usually when it's Spring. But when it does, it sure this long."

 

"What's your favorite season?" She got curious out of a sudden.

 

"Summer, you?" Yoona strikes back in an instant, glancing at her.

 

She nodded as she smiles. "Winter."

 

"Wae?"

 

"Because I love making snowmen... I love skiing..." She however sighs and pouted sadly when she remembers her last winter in New York was spent wrongly. They would've avoided it if no one called the police.

 

Yoona noticed and decided not to say anything at all. Whatever it was, he felt like he doesn't have any right to ask about it. He just keeps his focus on the road quietly until they reach the apartment.

 

"Good... night." He wanted sighs as Seohyun just stepped out of the car without saying a word or looking back anymore. She just head straight inside the building as if she was a taxi cab. He just brushed it off and drives home peacefully.

 

***

 

*ding*

 

The moment the lift reached the fifteenth floor, Seohyun almost immediately jumped in surprised to see Tiffany standing in front of her with a foolish grin.

 

"Jesus! You scared me!" She exclaimed, hitting her arm.

 

"Success!" Tiffany giggled.

 

"Aish!" She lightly pushed her to the side as she stepped out of the lift. "How'd you know I'm coming?"

 

"I just got back." Said Tiffany with a shrug.

 

Seohyun stopped and looked at her in disbelief. "Where were you?"

 

"It rained so much, I wasn't able to go home right away." explained the older, as she continue her walk to their apartment.

 

"Chincha? So that means, Jessica Unnie hasn't returned too?"

 

"Who knows." Tiffany opened the door and they walked inside, expecting to see their other friend but it was dark.

 

"Well, that answers." Seohyun muttered as she the lights and walk to her bedroom.

 

Tiffany on the other hand to her own bedroom, across from the younger. She sits on the edge of the bed and lay back with a little bounce. "Aigoo." she stares at the ceiling with a small pout. She couldn't believe what happened and she had no idea how well things go now.

 

Flashback...

 

Taeyeon couldn't stop but kept glancing at the beauty next to him inside a convenience store. He had been doing it and so as she. If their eyes caught each other's, they would eventually turn to the other side.

 

Ever since the kiss, they have been mute for the past thirty minutes. Afraid to say something.

 

But the moment the oven dinged, one of them broke the silence.

 

"I'll get it." Taeyeon get up and headed to the oven nearby. They've been also waiting for their food to be cooked and he took them out hastily. It's just a pair of cup noodles, a hot dog in a bun, and dukkbokki. "I hope you enjoy them." He says as he shares the others with Tiffany.

 

Without saying a word, Tiffany took a big bite of her first convenience store dukkbokki. Her eyes doubled as she looked at him in surprise. "This is insanely good!" she exclaimed earning chuckles from him. "I can't believe you know this kind of stuff when you're rich."

 

Taeyeon rubs the back of his head briefly. "I did this when I was in high school. One of my friends introduced this to me." He shares.

 

"Now that makes sense." Tiffany said as she took another bite of the food.

 

"By the way... earlier..." Taeyeon grabs the chance and opens the topic. "I... mean it." He hesitantly continued as his cheeks blushed while he's staring down at the cup noodles.

 

Tiffany put the fork down as she sighs and looked at him seriously. "To be honest, you're a good friend, Tae... and you can be easy to be with. It's just that..."

 

"You don't like me back?"

 

"No, I mean, not like that. I like... you too. It's just... I'm not sure yet. I'm not-"

 

"You're not ready to date yet?" Taeyeon interrupted. He doesn't know but he likes her honesty.

 

Tiffany nodded. "Let's get to know each other more, okay?" She smiled warmly. "I think, we'll rush this if... you know." she shrugged her shoulders.

 

"I'd love that." A big smile formed on Taeyeon's face. She didn't reject him but gives him hope rather. He put some more dukkbokki in her cup. "Dig in." And giggle.

 

Tiffany smiled back. She was fluttering that she couldn't stop from smiling. She's glad he's not an impatient person.

 

End of Flashback...

 

"Well, I think there shouldn't be any worries. I was the one who told him either way." Pulling herself up, Tiffany walked to the bathroom and smile giddily at the mirror. She got startled when she heard the door open.

 

"Unnie!" Followed by Seohyun's thin voice.

 

"What?" She stepped out of the bathroom and sent her a brief glare as she took her seat on her bed.

 

"Jessica Unnie won't answer my call."

 

"Why are you worried? She's in Yuri's place."

 

Seohyun hissed. "I know. But she's not like this. And she might be in his place you know it's not guaranteed she's safe." She believes every day out there is not safe, as long as they're still wearing their fake names.

 

"Tsk, don't worry, that Yuri is head over heels for our friend. I doubt he will hurt her if she learns her cover." Tiffany assuredly says as laid back and patted the space next to her. "Let's just sleep now." she offers.

 

Seohyun shakes her head. "I'm not sleeping next to you again." She playfully stuck her tongue out before leaving the room animatedly.

 

Tiffany laughs as she cuddles with her extra pillow. She close her eyes while smiling and there were just a couple of minutes before she fell asleep.

 

***

 

Upon realizing she was once again in Yuri's bedroom when she woke up, Jessica hastily get up and grab her bag nearby. She walk to the door in a hurry but only to stop when she heard snores from someone on the sofa. She gasps to see Yuri sleeping there instead, with one hand over his forehead.

 

"Mianhe." She said and continued her way out. But when she reached the stairs, she realized it was already morning and most of the maids are already working. She changed her mind and hides behind the wall before one of them could notice her.

 

"Good morning, Ms. Rose." Greeted Mr. Cha as he approach her that literally startled her. "Relax." He said with an amuse smile.

 

Jessica breath in and slowly out. "No one knows I didn't go home last night, right Mr. Cha?" she wanted to check.

 

"Don't worry, everyone is out when you started... that sound. Especially Ms. Dara-ssi." He assured her.

 

She let out a relieved sigh. "That's good to know."

 

"I doubt there's a need to go home."

 

"I don't think so. I haven't showered." Chuckled her. "Why don't you help me leave, Mr. Cha?" And she suggested, wiggling her eyebrows.

 

The latter shakes his head. "Nope. But you can use the guest room's shower room if you wanted to refresh. But I could help you bring your uniform to the room, how about that?" he offered otherwise.

 

Jessica ponders. She turned and hears maids mentioning her name downstairs.

 

"They're wondering now. You better take my offer." Said Mr. Cha as he giggled.

 

"Fine." She sighs. "Where should I go? There's a lot of guest rooms."

 

"Follow me." Mr. Cha didn't think twice and leads the young maid to the guest room. Jessica had no choice but to quietly follow. There's no point in going back home either way when she's going to the villa right away.

 

-

 

Slowly gaining back consciousness, Yuri stretched his arms upward as he let out a huge yawn. He pushed himself up and walk to his bed.

 

'Did she leave without my knowledge?' he grabs his bathrobe nearby and wear it as he made his way out. Last night was unbelievable for him. Rose shared the reason for her cries and he was with her all night, comforting her until she fall asleep in his arms.

 

He saw his butler entering the guest room with a maid's uniform in the hallway. 'What's up with him?' That made him curious. He decided to follow head to the room but peek his head first when he reached the door. His eyes slightly widened upon seeing a silhouette from the shower room. 'Is Mr. Cha dating a maid?' He quietly giggled. 'I wonder who among them?' He got excited.

 

Mr. Cha suddenly turned, he hastily close the door and runs to the stairs. He went downstairs and calmly walk to the kitchen.

 

-

 

After making sure her hair is dry enough, Jessica grabs her phone and replied to Tiffany and Seohyun's messages. Both called and texted her earlier, asking her whereabouts.

 

Don't worry about me. I'm fine and will go on my day in this Villa. Be home early tonight though.

Have a good day girls~ Take care always. ♥

 

Seohyun: That's good to know, Unnie. Looks like you're so comfortable now in that villa. keke. See you later.

Tiffany: Don't get too attached. Keke. See ya~

 

She smiled and close her phone, placing it back in her bag before she stepped out of the guest room. She heard the voices from maids immediately but she stopped midway when she heard Yuri's voice. "He's still here?" She thought he has gone to work already but looks like he doesn't have the plan to leave anytime.

 

Taking a deep breath and slowly relaxing, she continued her way until she reached the stairs. She was lucky that there was only one maid left in the living room as she went downstairs. But as she turns to the left, Yuri was there, standing near the dining area with bread sticking out of his mouth. "Good morning, Mr. Kwon." She greeted him with a bow immediately.

 

Yuri blinks and blinks then puts away the bread. "You're here." He smiled sheepishly.

 

"Yeah, am I late?" she approaches him at the table. "Are you done with your breakfast?" asked her with a bright smile.

 

"Not... quiet. How are you?" Yuri softly asked.

 

"Yes?"

 

"I mean, last night."

 

"Totally fine." Jessica replied with a bright tone. She started cleaning the table.

 

"Chincha?"

 

"I doubt I'll experience it again. Thanks for last night."

 

Yuri smiled genuinely when he heard it. "Glad to know. But if it once again happens, please call me. You could have a panic attack if I wasn't there."

 

"I appreciate it, Mr. Kwon. But I think it will only happen when it rains. And it's rare when it's Spring." Said Jessica assuringly. She was flattered Yuri had been looking after her but she didn't want to worry him that much. It might cause some stir from the other maids if they saw him taking extra care of her.

 

Yuri slowly took her hand which made her look him in the eyes. "I know, just want you to know that I'm here for you whenever you need me." he softly says and flashed her a small sincere smile.

 

Jessica got speechless. Her cheeks flushed and her heart flutters.

 

"Anyway, have a great day. I'll see you later." Yuri continued before he hesitantly let go of her and casually walk passed at her.

 

Exhaling loudly, Jessica blinks her eyes in a fast manner as she put her hand on her chest. She turned her head to see Yuri leaving the house. 'What is he doing to me?' she seriously felt his intentions and it was crazy that she was affected. It made her heart want to explode. "Aish. Let's get it together." She shakes her head and continues her work.

 

***

 

Stepping out of the car, Seohyun wears her sunglasses as she walks into the entrance of the broadcasting company that will be airing the reality she joined. She received the schedule for the photo shoot and an interview later. She didn't hesitate and drives her own car.

 

"Hi, I'm here for the photo shoot." She smiled as she talked to the front desk lady.

 

"Oh, for the bachelor show?"

 

"Yes, Miss."

 

"Can I have your ID please?"

 

Opening her small sling bag, she took her fake ID out and handed it with a sweet smile.

 

"Take off your sunglass." The lady requested.

 

She did and still smiled as the lady checked on her card.

 

"So you are the last contestant on the show. Congrats and Good luck Ms. Lee." The lady smiled as she returned her ID and handed her the pass ID. "The shoot will be on the eleventh floor, studio 20. The director and photographer must be preparing there now." she added.

 

"Thanks." She wore her sunglasses back and continue her way to the lift. As she enters, Yoona came rushing inside which surprised her and him when their eyes meet.

 

"What are you doing here?" They both asked at the same time.

 

"Of course, I'm here for the show." Yoona explained. "Don't tell me you are..." he paused when he realized the ID pass has the show's logo. "No way?!" He exclaimed.

 

Seohyun quickly hides the ID inside her white blouse. "I was lucky." And look straight to the door while her cheeks are blushing.

 

"Whoa, Congrats." Chuckled Yoona, still couldn't believe it. "Don't worry, I won't choose you."

 

"Ugh. I know you won't." Seohyun rolled her eyes. "But I will make your mind change." She smirks as she side-eyes him.

 

Yoona gulped nervously, looking straight to the door as well. He doesn't know but it made him speechless when she said those words. As if it's a warning.

 

"It's a competition you know. So you will meet a lot of ladies as well. And all of them will do their best to make you like them." Seohyun further said.

 

"Whatever. I'm just here to promote my company as well." Said Yoona sighing in the process.

 

"I see your intentions there."

 

"It's all just business for me."

 

Seohyun shrugged his shoulders. "No worries." And smile briefly.

 

"Let's work together well, then." Yoona giggled as he looked at her and stretched his hand out.

 

"Yup." Grabbing his hand, Seohyun smiled again as they shook each other's hands. Both smiling in excitement.

 

***

 

Agape and speechless, Tiffany came out of the apartment just to see flowers and fruits on the floor.

 

"Who's sick?" She picked up the card from the flowers and read it.

 

You were like the beautiful Spring, always giving a smile on my face whenever I see you.

- Kim Taeyeon

 

"What the. Is he..." She couldn't continue her words when she heard

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter