Odd Night

The Fugitives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

22 | Odd Night

 

***

 

Tiffany and Taeyeon are having breakfast together when they suddenly started hearing some thuds from the basement. Both looked into each other's eyes and then finished their coffee first before they hastily runs to the basement in a hurry. When they opened the door, Mr. Cha is already lying on the floor while still struggling to get free from the rope tied behind him in his wrists.

 

"Glad you woke up early too, Mr. Cha." said Tiffany as she takes her seat on the wooden chair.

 

Taeyeon crouched down near the latter, looking straight into his eyes. "We weren't supposed to do this but... it's the only way for us to know the reason for your doings, Mr. Cha." He said with a sigh. 

 

Breathlessly, Mr. Cha opened his dry lips to speak. "Can you give me some water first?"

 

"Nah, I don't think that's a good idea." 

 

"We'll give you water if you tell us the reason behind this." Tiffany said with an eye smile to the poor man. 

 

"Yuri thought the money he had been trusting to you is being used according to what the villa needs but he found out it was all being sent to that box instead to the maids' salary and to fix some stuff in this place." Taeyeon said as he held the latter's arm. "Tell us the truth." he seriously added. 

 

Mr. Cha looked elsewhere as he didn't even budge to say anything. His sweat is dropping on the floor as he continues to catch his breath.

 

"You're afraid, aren't you, Mr. Cha?" Tiffany could see it in his eyes.

 

"I think if you have a good reason, then we would understand." Taeyeon smiled this time. He doesn't want to threaten him. 

 

"How about we make a deal?" Suddenly Tiffany has an idea. She gets up and walks closer to them. She bends down to give him a closer look as Mr. Cha continues to look at the floor instead. "We'll get you free from here like nothing happened if you give us the reason. Also, we won't tell the police. Whatever reason it is." 

 

Mr. Cha finally looked at them. He was about to agree but he contemplated.

 

"There's no need to be frightened." Taeyeon softly says.

 

Sighing so deep, Mr. Cha shakily finally answered, "I-It's... it's because... I have to send my daughter overseas for her studies. I... couldn't afford it... I got tem-tempted... with the funds the chairman is giving me. I'm sorry. I'm really so sorry about this." he said as tears began to drop. "I-it's okay... if you guys call the police. I deserve to be in jail."

 

"Okay, so it was more like a personal reason." Taeyeon sighed in relief. He thought someone had been asking Mr. Cha to do this and that. "You know you can just ask Yuri about that, right?"

 

"I know but... I'm... I need it badly this month."

 

"Glad it wasn't really bad, Mr. Cha." Tiffany smiled and she offered her hand for the latter.

 

"Um, can you... untie me first?" He requested.

 

"Oh, my bad."

 

Taeyeon smiled in amusement. "I got it." But he hastily does it for the poor man while his girlfriend is watching him.

 

***

 

A deep and long sigh escapes Yuri's lips as soon as he hangs up the phone call from his friend, Taeyeon. He throws his head back as he processes the reason behind Mr. Cha's doings. Although it was personal, he couldn't believe he can do that to him. He trusted him fully and even treat him like his second father. He felt like he didn't trust him as well for not sharing this problem with him and it hurts him.

 

"I don't know what to do with him." mumbles him as he sighs once again.

 

Just then, the door opens and Jessica walked inside with a bright smile toward him. "I've got some dessert for you." She excitedly shares as she pulled the table near him and placed the takeout dessert on top.

 

He smiled back. "Was this the reason you left?" ask him as he moved forward. "Oooh... what's this?" his brows raised as he looked at her back.

 

"Omo, you don't know about this?"

 

"I think I've never seen this before but this looked like an ice cream that looked like some... salad." 

 

Jessica chuckles. "It's Watergate Salad. Also known as Pistachio Pineapple Delight. Okay, now I get it, it's a dessert from the U.S. so yeah, it's not known to koreans." 

 

"Oh, that explains." He smiled and giggle.

 

"Anyway, try it, I think you will like it too." She offered the small spoon and he casually received it. 

 

As he took a small bite, his eyes briefly widened. "That's sweet. Love it." He commented as he scoop once again and feed himself. "This is your favorite dessert, aren't you?" 

 

"Absolutely. Glad we have the same time." She giggles, pinching his cheek gently. "Finish it while I make some cleaning around your ward." 

 

"Don't mind it, a janitor will come later." He informed them before she could start.

 

"Let's not wait for it. Your room should always be clean." Without waiting for his response, Jessica started cleaning. She started it with the sofa. It's been a week since she started using it as a bed, and she had always been cleaning herself too, not depending on any cleaners in the hospital.

 

Yuri could only watch in awe while he was enjoying his new favorite dessert. 

 

 

Big smiles are apparent on the couple's faces Jessica gently pushes Yuri's wheelchair from behind while they're in a walk outside the hospital. Both are quiet as they enjoy the good weather with birds chirping and some kids creating bubbles nearby.

 

"Aaah.. it feels like it's been ages since I've felt the sunshine like this." Said Yuri as he spread his arms out of a sudden. "I feel so alive and young." he exclaimed.

 

"Childish." Jessica muttered but she finds it adorable. Especially his face is as bright as the day. 

 

Exhaling so loud, Yuri returned his hands back to his lap as he looked up to his girlfriend. "Thank you, baby." He brightly said.

 

"Anything for you, my handsome boyfriend." She pinches his cheek and giggles. 

 

"Watch out!" Suddenly someone shouted, and their attention shifted immediately to the side, Jessica hastily let go of the wheelchair and kick the soccer ball back to the owner before it could hit her boyfriend. 

 

Yuri gasped in surprise. He didn't know his girlfriend could kick that high. "Whoa." He eventually clap his hands. "That was awesome!" he complimented, pulling up a thumb.

 

Jessica shyly smiled. "Thanks. Let's get you to a safer place." She grabs the wheelchair's handle and resumed their walk.

 

"Have you gone to a taekwondo class? I think that was like a stunt of taekwondo."

 

"Yes, back in the U.S." She shared as her cheeks blushed.

 

"So you can teach me?"

 

"What for?" She chuckles as she finally stopped on a bench. She takes her seat and faces him. "There's no need to when you have bodyguards." 

 

"They're not always with me. Also, I don't want to depend on them always. Let's set a date for that, hmm?" Yuri brightly smiled. He's excited already but he received a hit on his hand. "What?"

 

"You just got your surgery. It will take some time to recover from that."

 

"Ha! A month will do."

 

"No. Three months." She argues.

 

"Oh, that means you agreed with me?" Yuri flashed a grin as he wiggle his eyebrows.

 

"Did I..." Jessica paused and scoffed. "Fine. But in 3 months, okay?" 

 

He nodded and smiled cutely. "I can't wait."

 

"Tsk, being in the hospital suddenly makes you this cute and adorable." She commented earning a sweet finger heart from him. "Ugh, don't cringe at me." she covered her face causing Yuri to laugh in amusement. She looked at him back and smile adoringly.

 

***

 

Pulling the car across the convenience store where Yihyun is apparently on shift, Sooyoung grabs her binoculars and used them to have a closer look inside. 

 

"She's there. Let's wait for these three customers to leave." She told Jo Yuri, her co-FBI agent.

 

"I just need to grab her phone right?" ask Yuri to confirm her mission. "And connect it to our wifi?"

 

"Yes. And I can see... her phone on the counter." Sooyoung replied, putting the binoculars down and grabbing the laptop from the compartment. She opened the wifi software and turned it on. "Then we can get inside her phone immediately. Need at least 5 minutes to fully install the tracker and hack everything in her phone."

 

"Okay, I got it." Yuri replied with a confident smile. She already has an idea in mind and she can't wait to go there and execute it.

 

After a while, they saw the three customers leaving the store. 

 

"Go now before another customer comes." Sooyoung immediately gives her friend the signal.

 

Yuri put on her baseball cap and stepped out of their car. She crossed the road smiling already as she entered the store.

 

"Welcome to Sunlight Store." Yihyun greeted brightly.

 

She smiled as she proceed to go to the freezer. She checks the soda and picked the orange one to place it at the farthest part of the freezer before she closes it and grabs some chips on the stand on her way to the counter. "Can I ask you a favor?" Ask her to Yihyun.

 

"How may I help you, Ma'am?" 

 

"You know there's this orange soda I like. But I can't reach it. Can you help me get it?" 

 

"Oh, no problem." A big smile appeared on Yihyun's face as she stepped out of the counter and went to the freezer.

 

Grabbing the chance, Yuri looked for her phone and spotted it on top of an extra chair. Her height got her the advantage as she reached it successfully. 

 

"Where is it? I couldn't find it!" Yihyun yelled from the back. 

 

"It's there!" She yelled back as she hastily cracked the passcode on her phone before she connected it to their wifi. 

 

[Got it. Give me five minutes.] Sooyoung said on her earbuds.

 

She placed the phone back on the chair as she turned and look for Yihyun, she was still there, looking for the soda. "I'll buy you some time." She whispered before she jogged toward Yihyun and help her with it. "Ugh, I couldn't reach it too." She complains as she pretended it's tough to get the soda.

 

"Aigoo, I think I have to get these other cans out." Yihyun crouched down and decided to take the other cans that were blocking the view.

 

"Thank you." Said Yuri as she smiled and glanced at the counter. She checks the time as well on her wristwatch while she stands next to Yihyun. 

 

[I got in. You can leave anytime.] Sooyoung announced after successfully hacking into Yihyun's phone.

 

Yuri finally can relax and she crouched down. "Can I help you?" to offer her help.

 

"No, it's-"

 

"I got it." She assured her before she moved closer and reach for the soda easily. "See." She winks at her playfully.

 

"Heol, I was about to give up." Yihyun's shoulders drop as well as her jaw. 

 

"I'll help you with the other cans then." Feeling bad for her, Yuri help her pile up the other soda and the latter smiled gratefully at her. 

 

After a while, Yuri returned to the counter and punch her purchase. "Thank you for today." She said as she handed back her card.

 

"You are doing a good job, Miss." Yuri smiled as she takes her card back, bowing back in the process before she left the store casually.

 

Meanwhile, Seohyun and Yoona are walking in the side of the street peacefully when Seohyun stopped as she pointed at someone that didn't miss her eyes. "Wasn't that..." 

 

"Wae?" ask Yoona as he raised his brows. 

 

"That lady who just crossed the road, wearing a purple dress and a cap... she looked like the same person in the hospital."

 

"Who?" 

 

Seohyun shrugged her shoulders. "She just felt so familiar."

 

"Chincha? Do you know her name?" Yoona is curious as well.

 

"I don't know." She continued their walk to the convenience store and as soon as Yihyun greeted them, she rushed to where the honey butter chips were located and was devastated to be greeted by three bags of it only. "Hell noooo!!!" she dramatically exclaimed.

 

"Wae? What's wrong?" Yoona rushed to her side. 

 

"We only have three of our favorites left." She pouted sadly.

 

"Oh, the honey butter, Unnie? The lady earlier took ten of it."

 

"WHAAAAAT? SERIOUSLY?"

 

"Um, yes. I didn't know you will be here... so..."

 

Seohyun hastily rushed outside but the car across the store wasn't there anymore. "Ugh, talking about an unlucky day." She groaned frustratingly.

 

"Yah, this isn't the only store that has honey butter, Seohyunnie." Yoona chuckled in amusement. 

 

"You do know how rare those chips are, right?"

 

"I know but we can just go to their factory. We can get as much as we want." He excitedly shares. Since both of them crave their favorite at the same time, he called a friend to get him there.

 

"Oh, but we don't know... the location of that."

 

Yoona giggles. "Don't worry, I got it." He winks and grabs her hand as they returned to their car hand in hand. Seohyun is like a child, skipping excitedly.

 

***

 

Tiffany is fixing her desk in the office while yawning from time to time. She felt tired after what she and Taeyeon did last night but she still has to go to work. Either way, it's the weekend the following day. 

 

"Ms. Young, someone is looking for you." One of her officemates told her.

 

"Who?" And she asked right away.

 

"I think it's a delivery man. It's in the lobby, jso go and check for yourself."

 

"Ah, yes. Thank you." Getting up, she heads outside and found a delivery man indeed, handing her two lunch boxes. "Who sent this, ahjussi?"

 

"From Mr. Kim Taeyeon, Ms. Young. Please sign here."

 

A smile immediately broke in her feature as she grabs the pen and signed the paper.

 

"Enjoy your meal, Ms. Young." The delivery man said as he bowed and left.

 

Going back to the office, she checked the paper bag inside and immediately felt her stomach grumble. "It's almost lunch break indeed." She's hungry but happy at the same time because her boyfriend surprises her with lunch boxes from a restaurant. "Dam

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter